Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Akanebanashi continues to be a delight. It's cool how the panelling actually gets more and more crowded as she ups the tempo of her storytelling. I'm excited to see how her senpai will trump her next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sorry Roboco, but Earthchild is the funniest series in jump at the moment.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

Sadly for it, the comedy gold medal this week still goes to

Goodbye Eri.

It's just unfair for everyone else.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This is just a good week for laughs.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dexo posted:

my guess is they are holding off on Chainsawman Pt. 2 until the anime is ready. But yeah, Fujimoto is so good.

Chainsaw Man Part 2 is coming out this summer, while the anime looks to be scheduled for fall. The delays were more because Fujimoto was bored with doing the same thing. (He's said in interviews that, no matter what he's doing, he wants to do something else. One shots when writing a serialization, a longer form when doing one shots. These lengthy one-shots seem to cover both sides of things.)

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Speaking of EarthChild, it made its first ranking this week.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1511639077837320194

Sadly, its dead in the middle of the book.

Hopefuly this is just Wile E. Coyote failing to realise he's in mid air before we get the overhead camera but you'll forgive me if I'm not hopeful and we have ourselves a u19 that refuses to die.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Akanebanashi continues to be a delight. It's cool how the panelling actually gets more and more crowded as she ups the tempo of her storytelling. I'm excited to see how her senpai will trump her next week.

it's a bit goofy that they bring it up so explicitly but i did like the angle this week where they've tied the rakugo story being told into the character's arc. interested to see if they keep it up and what others they use in the future.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

How the gently caress is earthchild beating ayashimon

There is no Justice in the pages of shonen jump

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Hopefuly this is just Wile E. Coyote failing to realise he's in mid air before we get the overhead camera but you'll forgive me if I'm not hopeful and we have ourselves a u19 that refuses to die.

Almost everything has gotten a high or mid position on the first ranking lately. I wouldn't use it as a guarantee. It's the next few chapters that show where it'll really fall.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It better 'cause I just had the grim realisation that the developments in this chapter make the protagonist, albeit without him knowing, a (TW, this is not great) probable statutory rapist. Due to the whole fast growth thing.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 10, 2022

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Is anyone else reading Yomi no Tsugai? It's monthly and up to Ch4 already created by FMA manga-ka ARAKAWA Hiromi so you know the art will be good.

I'm like ok no FeMC but I can accept that the MC is kinda relatable ignoring the entire secret society thing going on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I liked what I've read of it so far but there's not much to go off yet

muscles like this! posted:

They announced that the agency in charge of Earthchilds has a procedure they do which rapidly ages babies to 10 years old which they're about to do to the baby.

lmao they're really pulling the fire emblem fates asspull? that's amazing

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ayashimon: Hell yeah my boy Maruo getting a power up, time to punch more yokai even harder!

Akane-banashi: Still great.

Elusive Samurai: Man, one of the things that make ES so engaging is the question of how it's going to navigate through the fact that in real life, Tokiyuki's rebellion ultimately failed and Takauji won in the end. I don't think it's going to rewrite history but at the same time I don't think the actual history's just gonna play out, so I'm really looking forward to how things play out.

Mashle: Mashle.

Roboco: Good, feel-good chapter. The kids are growing up. Was wondering if the entire chapter was gonna be about potluck mindgames and scoring but no, they didn't drag it out.

Sakamoto: Still great! Can't believe a remote-controlled android was allowed into the exams!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ConanThe3rd posted:

I think it needs to be emphasized more that the Table of Contents in WSJ isn't a pure ranking system, which many people seemed to get the impression it is due to Bakuman. Popularity is a factor of it, and if your'e constantly in the back of the magazine that's a very bad sign, but the editors at WSJ will frequently move the series around for various reasons, whether to give a series more spotlight or to break up a lot of the action heavy series with more drama, sports, and comedy, etc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sindai posted:

It's been interesting trying to figure out what Earthchild is about solely based off of posts in this thread.

The Black Stones posted:

Goodbye, Eri was a fantastic one shot. Fujimoto has really great ideas and I really like how the comic was framed a lot of the times. Looking forward to when he does a more continued work.

Since Chainsaw Man became popular and well-received I've been feeling smug in my positive evaluation of Fire Punch (back when it was still running), which had a kind of mixed reaction here when it was coming out. It may have been a little hit-or-miss, but at least stayed genuinely interesting throughout.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Since Chainsaw Man became popular and well-received I've been feeling smug in my positive evaluation of Fire Punch (back when it was still running), which had a kind of mixed reaction here when it was coming out. It may have been a little hit-or-miss, but at least stayed genuinely interesting throughout.

Having read Fire Punch after Chainsaw Man finished, it definitely shows signs of what makes Fujimoto's later work great, but it's more awkward. For example, the bits where Agni lied about his past have an unreliability that Goodbye, Eri leans into, but it seems to come from genuine retcons, rather than initially intended deception. Similarly, Agni's as willing to go along with unreasonable people as Denji, but Denji's much better at driving forward the narrative when he's left on his own.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Doron: Is currently straight up shonen battle manga, which is sometimes exactly what you want. I'm surprised that this guy has owned 2 out of 3 actually.

AYashimon: This is exactly what we needed after the previous chapter, Maruo punching out a house fire. Also, Maruo and the old man bonding good a good laugh out of me.

Sakamoto: Looks to be ramping up again

Mashle: Is probably going to do what Ayashimon is currently doing. This chapter was hilarious though. Again, exactly what we needed.

Elusive: Cool

Witch Watch: The first page promised a certain kind of chapter which it then delivers on. Though I do wish we'd do something with the story again.
YOU WANT US TO LEAVE?! FINE! WE'RE GOING HOME!
Oh you can't go hom yet sir. That'd be running away from the police I called back at the start.

Roboco: Eating is serious business. Good to see mr referee again though.

Earthchild:

ConanThe3rd posted:

It better 'cause I just had the grim realisation that the developments in this chapter make the protagonist, albeit without him knowing, a (TW, this is not great) probable statutory rapist. Due to the whole fast growth thing.

Also great is that it means that the now sympathetic WASTE has been abducting and force growing kids for a very long time. He mentioned that they'd been experimenting on/with Earth Children/Children in general for centuries. Which is already such a :psyduck: Centuries? Really? This series takes place in modern day!
This series is absolutely terrible and I'm loving it.
And what the hell is the deal with introducing this new guy?

I wanted to spoiler this, but I can't. It's just so amazing I want people to see this sequence.
Previous chapter: :axe: I'm the lead! I've come to save you! Wait, you're the lead? Well, I've come to help you with my Earthchild powers! DUNDUNDUNNN! *lifts several people into the air*
This chapter: :axe: Actually, I don't have any powers. Let me lift that ladybug I saw earlier...in the command centre of this underground hidden bunker. See, I can't lift it. I actually suck.
Everyone else: we can't trust him, he's from the main branch! But then he's actually the only one who comes up with a plan? What the hell has everyone else been doing?
Now for one thing in it's defense, I seem to recall Kareri actually made a point that she didn't remember much of her childhood. So this reveal, as clunky as it is may have been foreshadowed.
The thing is, the elements introduced here on its own aren't actually bad? The problem is that the execution is just plain terrible and almost seems to be retconning it's own previous chapters. Followed by shocked faces.

So...how much time has passed since they stopped trying to take the baby and decided to work together with the lead? I've been trying to figure out how long WASTE has been ...wasting time here. But it seems impossible to determine. It actually feels like between this visit to the command center and the previous that there were only 1-2 days.

Are we going to need a separate thread for this trainwreck?
Is this a failed parody or a failed actual shonen? Was the chapter of Witch Watch with the incompressible battle manga spoof actually poking fun of this?
What the hell is that title actually? Binary Dark Zero?

Ytlaya posted:

It's been interesting trying to figure out what Earthchild is about solely based off of posts in this thread.

It's not even possible to figure out while reading it.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Well with any luck it'll be gone by goldenweek and it can just sink to the bottom of the blackwater tank with the rest of the U-19 poo poo.
Never to bother us again except as vague memories of that one strip that really sucked out loud in Jump's 2022 lineup when they inexplicably saddle another author with The Shinigami and their comic goes to hell.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Mashle: the beginning of the chapter was a nice callback. Now that Margarette has been beaten and befriended she no longer uses tartar sauce like a dangerous lunatic.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Earthchild is so bad that it is worth reading weekly. It is absolutely fascinating to witness.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Earthchild comes across like it hasn't been planned out at all and is just being made up week by week.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Earthchild reads like a brainstorming session, I can't wait to see what other new rando shows up with vital information for sad dad.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Earthchild comment section on Mangaplus:

quote:

lmao at this point, every chapter of this manga exists to slap MC in the face

quote:

so, the whole story is about stressing him with a joke

quote:

We already know that they're not doing the age up you guys. Mamoru has narrated previous panels alking about his earliest memories. If they had aged him up he wouldn't have made those comments.
:allears:

quote:

I like how the author arrange the plot. If it’s axed, it will go smooth without forcing the story. If it’s keep going, the main plot is flexible for stretching.
That's one way to look at it.

quote:

So. . does that mean he married a minor then?

quote:

I really like this story, it is different than most shonen series in SJ
No arguing this, there's nothing like this in Jump at the moment.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
The ultimate showdown: Earthchild or Time Paradox Ghostwriter?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

The way everyone's talking about Earthchild it's starting to sound like Uron Mirage

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
no, uron mirage was a successful manga.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

CodfishCartographer posted:

Ghost Plagerist didn't have its MC, rear end in a top hat he be, unwittingly become a statutory rapist.

Though the correct answer is that there's more than enough room in U19 Hell for both of them to suffer damnation eternal.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 11, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ghostwriter's premise was flawed from the start, Earthchild's premise could work, but it didn't seem to know what to do or what it wants to be and now we're here.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

chiasaur11 posted:

Having read Fire Punch after Chainsaw Man finished, it definitely shows signs of what makes Fujimoto's later work great, but it's more awkward. For example, the bits where Agni lied about his past have an unreliability that Goodbye, Eri leans into, but it seems to come from genuine retcons, rather than initially intended deception. Similarly, Agni's as willing to go along with unreasonable people as Denji, but Denji's much better at driving forward the narrative when he's left on his own.

It's definitely weaker than his later works (and the protagonist is probably one of the least interesting characters in it), but it's still good.

Ghostwriter was just kind of "normal" bad and you could obviously tell when the author was trying to change direction to avoid cancellation (with the first few chapters basically being a "normal" bad series).

The premise was pretty amusing though, with the protagonist just doing plagiarism. The general concept is done better in that manga about the Japanese Beatles cover-band going back in time and releasing Beatles music; IIRC the ethical issues with their actions are a big part of the plot and members of the band fight over it. The way the main protagonist justified it was actually pretty interesting - he argued that, by releasing the Beatles music before they wrote it, the actual Beatles would do different music instead, resulting in more Beatles music. Pretty sound logic tbh.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Alder posted:

Is anyone else reading Yomi no Tsugai? It's monthly and up to Ch4 already created by FMA manga-ka ARAKAWA Hiromi so you know the art will be good.

I'm like ok no FeMC but I can accept that the MC is kinda relatable ignoring the entire secret society thing going on.

I like how Arakawa made the bold decision to kill the MC in the last chapter and now the story will be about Detective anglerfish

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

It's definitely weaker than his later works (and the protagonist is probably one of the least interesting characters in it), but it's still good.

I can agree with that.

I reread the first chapter a bit back, and it's ridiculously edgy, but it still works. The paneling and structure is strong enough to make things that should fall apart hold together. The bit at the end, replaying the intro monologue and ending on "Fire Punch", with Agni punching through a guy?

Brilliant.

It's also a neat read now since it feels so much like a learning exercise. There's a lot of things Fire Punch does (like the massive tone shifts) that Fujimoto would refine in his later work. Likewise, Chainsaw Man had pretty good fight scenes by the end, but it took some time to develop, while Fire Punch outright "cut around" some of the fight sequences due to lack of confidence. Like the shark in jaws, technical limitations lead to artistic creativity.

Meanwhile, Agni's interesting because it feels like Fujimoto realized he messed up early on, and spent the rest of the manga trying to figure out a way out of his mess. It's hard to tell without an interview how much that was intentional feints as opposed to real mistakes, but it's quite interesting comparing Agni's passivity with Denji.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 11, 2022

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

I can agree with that.

I reread the first chapter a bit back, and it's ridiculously edgy, but it still works. The paneling and structure is strong enough to make things that should fall apart hold together. The bit at the end, replaying the intro monologue and ending on "Fire Punch", with Agni punching through a guy?

Brilliant.

It's also a neat read now since it feels so much like a learning exercise. There's a lot of things Fire Punch does (like the massive tone shifts) that Fujimoto would refine in his later work. Likewise, Chainsaw Man had pretty good fight scenes by the end, but it took some time to develop, while Fire Punch outright "cut around" some of the fight sequences due to lack of confidence. Like the shark in jaws, technical limitations lead to artistic creativity.

Meanwhile, Agni's interesting because it feels like Fujimoto realized he messed up early on, and spent the rest of the manga trying to figure out a way out of his mess. It's hard to tell without an interview how much that was intentional feints as opposed to real mistakes, but it's quite interesting comparing Agni's passivity with Denji.

I'm curious, what element of Agni do you think Fujimoto made a mistake with that he was trying to correct?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm curious, what element of Agni do you think Fujimoto made a mistake with that he was trying to correct?

Mostly his lack of dynamism. As initially written, Agni didn't really do much when on his own. Without Togata or someone else shoving him towards a goal, he just kind of sat around. When things are more exciting every time your protagonist isn't on screen, it's awkward. Fujimoto also retconned Agni remembering the time before the ice was so bad, which is something I'm not sure if it was an intended reveal from the start or just Fujimoto changing his mind about the nature of the world.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I think this new one shot has my favorite ending of anything I've ever read? Maybe it's just recency bias but Fujimoto's really loving good at these contained stories.

On a less great note, I don't think it's worth digging up the thread to talk about this but, boy this arc of Black Clover has been particularly dogshit huh? Unless that demon lady (can't even be hosed to try to remember the name) decides she's just gonna kill some people while they're down then this is going to have been a total waste of time, which is fitting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't think people dying does anything for the arc, they just need to not have this second demon start another awful battle like this Lucifero one. seems most likely that she would be setup for whatever is next though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The never ending battle with the shrinking page count makes it very hard to care about anything going on at this point. Maybe it will all work better as a completed whole but chapter by chapter it sucks.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Are there any other One Shots available on Manga Plus? Goodbye Eri is the only one labeled as such on their list of manga.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Look Back and Spirit Photographer are still there too, i know there are other oneshots like F-Ken but yeah they aren't necessarily labeled like these more recent ones

e: oops was looking at the SJ app

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I started reading World Trigger and I was wondering, what was the deal with the memory erasing stuff early on? It's done once to some bullies but then it seems like it is forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
world trigger took a while to find its identity, is all.