Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Overall I'm enjoying the show, but the lack of action has been really noticeable and really strange for a TV show based on a first person shooter.

I'm glad they didn't wait too long to get Cortana into the show. Her relationship with Chief is the foundation of the series, and it's better to get them together ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Eventually there's going to be a big breakout action sequence and the make or break moment for me will be if they decided to bother to get rights for a Marty O'Donnell piece for it. If we have a whole season of Halo without an action scene set to big banging taiko drums and that iconic Halo music, then the show will be a complete failure and I will be at a loss as to how they could have flubbed that so hard.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Professor Beetus posted:

Eventually there's going to be a big breakout action sequence and the make or break moment for me will be if they decided to bother to get rights for a Marty O'Donnell piece for it. If we have a whole season of Halo without an action scene set to big banging taiko drums and that iconic Halo music, then the show will be a complete failure and I will be at a loss as to how they could have flubbed that so hard.

AFAIK, it's not about whether they can be bothered. There's an ongoing legal battle between O'Donnell and partner, and Microsoft, over potentially unpaid royalties, theft, etc. None of that music is coming until that's resolved.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Open Source Idiom posted:

AFAIK, it's not about whether they can be bothered. There's an ongoing legal battle between O'Donnell and partner, and Microsoft, over potentially unpaid royalties, theft, etc. None of that music is coming until that's resolved.

They somehow got the opening chant stuff so I assumed they could just pay him money to resolve that.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
This show doesn't look like it has the budget to bring a climactic warthog run to life, tbh

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

For anyone who's watching this but hasn't played any Halo games (why?)

this is what is absent from the show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_pAa9252Uo

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I assume they're saving the cool Halo music for when they actually get to a Halo installation.

Hopefully it's not a final episode thing, but seems like that's likely the case. The last two episodes of this season will probably be the Fall of Reach and the discovery of an installation.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Professor Beetus posted:

They somehow got the opening chant stuff so I assumed they could just pay him money to resolve that.

O'Donnell is going so scorched-earth with his lawsuit that he originally tried to get an injunction to prevent the show from airing, so I doubt he'd be open to letting them get off by cutting him a small check.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Timby posted:

O'Donnell is going so scorched-earth with his lawsuit that he originally tried to get an injunction to prevent the show from airing, so I doubt he'd be open to letting them get off by cutting him a small check.

That fuckin sucks, I honestly hadn't heard much about the lawsuit at all and thought all the beef was between him and Bungie rather than MS. Getting a nice big action scene without "Halo" music is gonna feel so weird and off-putting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's halo flavoured drink, not halo juice

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

I assume they're saving the cool Halo music for when they actually get to a Halo installation.

Hopefully it's not a final episode thing, but seems like that's likely the case. The last two episodes of this season will probably be the Fall of Reach and the discovery of an installation.

Last two (three?) episodes will absolutely be the fall of reach with the last ten seconds of the finale being the installation out the window of Pillar of Autumn.

Essentially a remake of this

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Why does Jen Taylor sounds so wooden in this?

I would like some iconic "He's your pal, is he? Your chum?" style put downs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

I just finished up playing Halo 3 last night and show Cortana looks a helluva lot better than that. Show Cortana looks like an AI that might have been designed intentionally to look and sound like it's friendly and non-threatening. Halo 3 Cortana looks like, well, a character meant to appeal to 13 y/o boys.

They eventually got the criticism and gave game Cortana space clothes again.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
didn't the guy who made the extremely thirsty character model of Cortana from Halo 4 post on SA at one point?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Professor Beetus posted:

That fuckin sucks, I honestly hadn't heard much about the lawsuit at all and thought all the beef was between him and Bungie rather than MS. Getting a nice big action scene without "Halo" music is gonna feel so weird and off-putting.

It's a really complicated mess. O'Donnell's not in the wrong, and he deserves to get paid, but he also kind of burned his own bridges by violating the terms of a lawsuit that he actually won, regarding Destiny's music.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Bedshaped posted:

Why does Jen Taylor sounds so wooden in this?

I would like some iconic "He's your pal, is he? Your chum?" style put downs

I think she sounds fine? Like the different voice she took on when reciting the advertisement of John's childhood planet was good.

But also she'll probably get more and more of a personality as the series goes on when John is more receptive to her, and then also when we learn that AIs will eventually go rampant.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Cortana nonsense aside, the one thing the games got right was a sense of priority.

Why do I give a gently caress about dramatic shots of AIs being drilled into heads or whatever these side characters are getting up to when we know it's all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things and to the namesake of the bloody show.

Like are we still gonna get sad mopey Master Chief grappling with some mundane identity crisis while the flood are infecting the galaxy with the covenant trying to pull the trigger on the the halo ring out of religious zealotry?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kin posted:

Why do I give a gently caress about dramatic shots of AIs being drilled into heads or whatever these side characters are getting up to when we know it's all irrelevant in the grand scheme of things and to the namesake of the bloody show.

I'm surprised Assistant Creepo didn't save the body after tbh

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm surprised Assistant Creepo didn't save the body after tbh

Yeah like, what was that even about? Are we gonna get some shite side story about that fucker down the line?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This show is about what I expected. I've never been a huge fan of the Halo games; they've always seemed a bit too arcadey and cartoony in ways that don't do it for me, and taking themselves too seriously in other ways that also don't do it for me. If that makes any sense. The show is about the same. Spectacular action, but not very substantial or nuanced. It's stupid fun. I do know enough about the game franchises to have recognized some nods to the gameplay right in the first action sequence. It kind of feels like they threw in a LOT of those little Master Chief mannerisms (and the FPS shots look straight out of the game) in the first fight simply to get them out of the way, a creative design choice I really respect. Same with getting Chief's helmet off right quick; as iconic as it is, having to act through it would be ridiculous and The Mandalorian already kind of did that. Pablo Schreiber is pretty good for the role, he's appropriately wooden and blank for a character that (again I've not played too many of the games) doesn't exactly exude a strong personality.

Is the language the Covenant are speaking from the games? It sounds pretty comprehensive, I wonder if they hired a proper conlanger to design it.

EDIT: I'm hoping we get to see some of the Flood. Watching friends play the games, the Flood creeped me out intensely.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 11, 2022

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Is the language the Covenant are speaking from the games? It sounds pretty comprehensive, I wonder if they hired a proper conlanger to design it.

The elites in the first game spoke an "alien" language that was just English played in reverse with some filters on it. Other than that they generally speak English. I think the lore reason is that Master Chief's suit is auto translating it.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kin posted:

Cortana nonsense aside, the one thing the games got right was a sense of priority.

Like are we still gonna get sad mopey Master Chief grappling with some mundane identity crisis while the flood are infecting the galaxy with the covenant trying to pull the trigger on the the halo ring out of religious zealotry?

Just seems like that they're following the model that a lot of other adaptations have done and using the first season to build up to all the familiar stuff and storylines that existing fans are already aware of. So the majority of the first season is supposed to set the table and get people to tune in to further seasons to see things they know. Like they're expanding on John's childhood and putting more emphasis on him being a Reclaimer to explain why he's so special in the grand scheme of things.

Honestly, the fact we got Cortana in episode three rather than one of the last ones surprised me and gave me some hope that they won't drag all of this out too long and wait until the very last episode before we get to an installation. But I'm still pretty sure that's what'll happen because I can't see any other good ending point for a season besides the Fall of Reach and escaping to an installation. The flood probably won't even show up until mid-season 2.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mister Speaker posted:

This show is about what I expected. I've never been a huge fan of the Halo games; they've always seemed a bit too arcadey and cartoony in ways that don't do it for me, and taking themselves too seriously in other ways that also don't do it for me. If that makes any sense. The show is about the same. Spectacular action, but not very substantial or nuanced. It's stupid fun. I do know enough about the game franchises to have recognized some nods to the gameplay right in the first action sequence. It kind of feels like they threw in a LOT of those little Master Chief mannerisms (and the FPS shots look straight out of the game) in the first fight simply to get them out of the way, a creative design choice I really respect. Same with getting Chief's helmet off right quick; as iconic as it is, having to act through it would be ridiculous and The Mandalorian already kind of did that. Pablo Schreiber is pretty good for the role, he's appropriately wooden and blank for a character that (again I've not played too many of the games) doesn't exactly exude a strong personality.

EDIT: I'm hoping we get to see some of the Flood. Watching friends play the games, the Flood creeped me out intensely.

As a kid the flood creeped me out to the point I had to move my Xbox and TV to the living room just so I could have my dad in the same room while I played and even recently last year when playing the MCC the flood in all three games still gave me the creeps. I love it and I hope they give me this feeling in the show.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Just seems like that they're following the model that a lot of other adaptations have done and using the first season to build up to all the familiar stuff and storylines that existing fans are already aware of. So the majority of the first season is supposed to set the table and get people to tune in to further seasons to see things they know. Like they're expanding on John's childhood and putting more emphasis on him being a Reclaimer to explain why he's so special in the grand scheme of things.

That's obviously what they're doing, now imagine them doing this while also giving us like, a Space Above And Beyond level of action every episode. Crappy adaptations are so effing slow and dragged out it drives me bonkers.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I am curious just to see what plot decisions they've made, because the moment John Halo steps foot on the actual Halo then the basic plot beats are 'find out only he and evil lady can activate it', 'find out and accidentally release the Flood', 'yes the Halo is a weapon but more than you think it is', 'blow up the Halo'.

But you can do all of that really quickly and there's no character development there, it's just an action sequence. So either the context for all of these events is radically different (and they have been indicating going down that road a bit) or it'll all be interwoven with the stuff that we've been watching thus far.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I figure covenant lady is gonna take Kwan in when they meet. Eventually it's gonna be her wanting to fire Halo against John who wants to blow it up. Covenant lady is also gonna have Kwan with her and try and get her to see the covenant isn't bad or whatever.

So that's season two. Probably ends with John blowing it up, and the season 3 plan would be adapting Halo 2 with the fight for Earth.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I dig what they're doing with Cortana, making her a unreliable ally / another tool of Halsey's to manipulate the Chief.

Since the show seems to be more focused on fleshing Chief out as a character, exploring his backstory and developing an actual personality, you can guess where it's going, and it seems appropriate.

The instant eye stab / acid bath murder of the clone to "Hi I'm Cortana!" was a bit sudden though.

The purist in me keeps wanting to nit pick differences from the games, but I'm glad they're doing their own thing - I'm frankly amazed this series was allowed to diverge so much in the first place given its history - It's telling how many producers, and co producers there are in the credits.

I just think, as others mentioned, they've missed a bit in establishing the backstory and worldbuilding.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Sudden, but they need to show-not-tell 'Halsey is a psychopath'. They're speedrunning setting up 4-5 different groups in the story who are all opposed to each other but also definitely not good guys.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Halsey being a self murdering psycho war criminal being allowed to do war crimes and kidnap kids plays a lot better when the UNSC is literally on the losing end of a war against an unbeatable alien force and they need literally ANYTHING to hang out. Show is not doing a very good job selling the covenant threat and why it’s allowed people like Hasley to just get away with poo poo.

Did Kwan ever touch the relic in the pelican? I’m curious if that’s the hook they’ll use to keep her around. Have her also be attuned to forerunner tech or maybe just attuned to the other half.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
All the show needed to do was spend 2 minutes showing a world get glassed or the main characters saying how the UNSC at best only has a few years before extinction and it would establish to the viewer that the stakes are pretty high. Right now the Covenant looks like an inconvenience - especially the shot on the Trash World where two elites just drop down and work around and the Humans are still beating each other.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

They've already established that as far as the show canon is concerned the Covenant are a threat and one that worries the UNSC - but implicitly because of their potential threat because they are higher tech and because Humanity has no idea where they come from or what they want. The 'war' is so low intensity that all the non-UNSC people we see literally doubt the Covenant exist, much less think humanity is on the brink of being wiped out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thom12255 posted:

All the show needed to do was spend 2 minutes showing a world get glassed or the main characters saying how the UNSC at best only has a few years before extinction and it would establish to the viewer that the stakes are pretty high. Right now the Covenant looks like an inconvenience - especially the shot on the Trash World where two elites just drop down and work around and the Humans are still beating each other.

"I guess we already attacked this one"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They're probably saving the Covenant as being big threats when they glass Reach.

But I agree in that they haven't set them up as real genuine threat to humanity's existence very well. Plus we've only seen Elites and then a Hunter that didn't even operate in the suit. I know shows are all about big moments and saving fan-service, but it would be cool to see the hierarchy of the Covenant in the show, which we have no idea about now outside of the old guys with the human girl.

I wanna see some grunts and jackals and brutes. Maybe it's not in the budget to get them on screen so much, which is why we have an actress as their leader, so to speak.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i like the purple gun that shoots the spikes that glow and explode, i hope they have that

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Khanstant posted:

i like the purple gun that shoots the spikes that glow and explode, i hope they have that

Given how gory the show has been so far I'd expect them to go full Scanners if someone got hit either a needler supercombine.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Plus we've only seen Elites and then a Hunter that didn't even operate in the suit.

That seemed like an odd decision, especially since they showed a very deliberate shot of the Hunter's leg. Its not like a Hunter wouldn't tear through a bunch of marines anyways. People are just gonna confuse them with the flood now

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What the gently caress were those giant worms that covenant lady commanded? Are we seeing the Flood already? They seemed to be inhabiting some armour in the first shot before they attacked.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mister Speaker posted:

What the gently caress were those giant worms that covenant lady commanded? Are we seeing the Flood already? They seemed to be inhabiting some armour in the first shot before they attacked.

They're hunters. Hunters in the Halo games are canonically a bunch of worms in a trenchcoat.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
They're clearly setting up a key conflict in Madrigal and other Colonies with our pirate leader villain Adolphus Murtry Burn Gorman and his merry men.

This seems hard to reconcile with when we've also seen / aluded to the Covenant war, which has apparently at this point been going on for years, and many hours spent playing the games / reading novels / drinking the dew tells us the Covenant are the real threat

It would have been much more effective to slowly reveal the Covenant threat, or even surprise drop them into the series for the first time later once the pirate nations / Chiefs' self discovery plots hit their full peak. The show even makes it seem like most colonies think the idea of Alien invaders is UNSC propaganda, which seems like perhaps this could have been the idea in an earlier revision.

You can see why this would be immediately pushed back on - what's Halo without the aliens? - but it seems to be more in line with the parts of the story the want to explore independent from the main game plot, like Colonies being lawless, UNSC being the fascist boot of the galaxy and Halsey being Dr. War Crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It seems like the tv show wants the war with the Covenant to be a slow burn, but also it's been a generation of war with them, with people growing up evacuating from glassed worlds (or in the prophet's case, adopted from one if those two elites even bothered lol), but also nobody thinks they're a thing in the area where worlds just aren't anymore? I guess everyone in "the outer colonies" just thinks it's UNSC and does a jerkoff motion to anyone who says "no it's aliens from outer space". Which is also a little weird because the "Insurrection" doesn't seem to be all of the outer colonies from various dialogue, so maybe the Earth government also just isn't telling anyone what's going on at all? You'd think Space CNN or Space Fox News would be all over it

It seems like the show wants it both ways but is doing so in a way that neither one makes any sense

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 11, 2022