Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's a million bucks for a house in Orangeville

It's a million bucks for a house in Peterborough

It's a million bucks for a house in Bowmanville

It's a million bucks for a house in Fergus

Whom among us has a million loving dollarydoos for a starter home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

You don't need the million up front.

You get like $80k from your parents to help with the down payment and you're golden.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

That landlord story is just lol. Lady you own an asset, you couldn’t think to sell it to someone who actually can afford to rent it out and then use your enormous windfall to buy/rent another place for yourself? Hilarious lack of investigation on the part of the reporter(s).

StoicRomance posted:

There are only four livable cities in Canada.
Honestly yeah, there kind of are. Small town Japan has better amenities than most cities in Canada.

I used to live in northern BC and actually liked it, but:

1) I could have just been lucky in who I knew + visible privilege
2) My partner prefers city life
3) Our parents live here, so unless we can convince them to pack up with us (or prepare to abandon them in old age) we’re stuck here

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

leftist heap posted:

It's pretty funny to rail against the Big Liberal Cities for housing problems when the NIMBYism is probably just as bad or worse in outlying suburbs that are much more conservative.

Feels like a very missed opportunity here for Poilievre to not point out the housing problems of Brampton Ontario, where a certain competing candidate is Mayor.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/ctvottawa/status/1513585280674054148?t=ERvfcrobJFTcgHBDduj4LQ&s=19

So what's even the point then?

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

kaom posted:

That landlord story is just lol. Lady you own an asset, you couldn’t think to sell it to someone who actually can afford to rent it out and then use your enormous windfall to buy/rent another place for yourself? Hilarious lack of investigation on the part of the reporter(s).

Hard to sell the place in that condition with a renter living in it that does not pay rent.

She's not blameless but she was couch surfing during a pandemic with her restaurant closed down. I'm sure she looked at options.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maskless man: "Wear a mask"

Also,

lol, lmao

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Toronto, Vancouver, Montreal, and, uh, Halifax?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

infernal machines posted:

Hamilt- lol just kidding

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
I think it's Ottawa

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Victoria maybe?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Huh, I guess there are actually a lot of livable cities in Canada after all!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Also,

lol, lmao

They chose an excellent picture for the story. Making the maskless villains black rather than white boomers was a great way to get more canadians on board.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Thunder Bay, Windsor, Churchill and Saint John.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

linoleum floors posted:

I think it's Ottawa

Ottawa is terrible. Maybe Nelson

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

linoleum floors posted:

I think it's Ottawa

lmao

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ontario is a joke. :lol:

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Could be Quebec if your French is at least ok. If not, I would not recommend it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, what you're telling me is that every city outside the big three is poo poo, and this somehow justifies paying absurd amounts of money rather than putting up with some things you don't like?

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

So, what you're telling me is that every city outside the big three is poo poo, and this somehow justifies paying absurd amounts of money rather than putting up with some things you don't like?

You're a moron

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

leftist heap posted:

You're a moron

What a really excellent rebuttal, I'm well impressed!

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 10, 2022

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It's gonna be hilarious watching y'all rage yourselves to death while your living space closes in around you over the next decade because this poo poo isn't getting fixed lol.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's the truth

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Sep 10, 2022

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

PT6A posted:

There are a lot more reason why someone might not want to move to a different city. Careers situation and family situation among other things might somewhat prevent a lot of people from exiting the hotter spots.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Gotta be Mississauga, the number one destination everyone's talking about.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

supersnowman posted:

There are a lot more reason why someone might not want to move to a different city. Careers situation and family situation among other things might somewhat prevent a lot of people from exiting the hotter spots.

Agreed. So, do you think that the hottest of the housing markets in Canada are hot because people are having too many kids and there's not room for them all? No, it's because everyone's trying to move to the same drat place. It's pushing the people who live there out. If we're going to cool the insane real estate market in this country, I think you have to make it more desirable for people not to move to those markets. If you want to cool investment, you have to have people saying "no, actually, gently caress renting this shithole at usurious prices, if you want to invest in this, I'm not helping to pay your mortgage."

We have enough room in this country for everyone, and a whole fuckton of immigrants beyond that; the supply issue pales in comparison to the demand issue. We need leadership at the federal and provincial levels to make smaller, less constrained cities, more desirable places to build a life.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Vaughan. The city above Toronto.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Mr. Apollo posted:

Vaughan. The city above Toronto.

Chilliwack BC: it smells like corn here

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Ironically with covid there has been a bit of a shift towards more rural communities, which has jacked the prices there skyhigh as well

You used to be able to get somewhere kinda affordable up island from Victoria, but now everything up to campbell river is pricey as gently caress due to all the Vancouver boomers cashing out and moving over

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yes, if only there was a place to live somewhere between Abbotsford and Sudbury...

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

berenzen posted:

Victoria maybe?
Transit, parking, housing, shopping all :lol:

DrBox posted:

Hard to sell the place in that condition with a renter living in it that does not pay rent.

She's not blameless but she was couch surfing during a pandemic with her restaurant closed down. I'm sure she looked at options.
Oh I think her situation was bad, not dismissing it. A divorce and then learning you don’t have the fallback you thought you did? Sucks. But unless I read the article wrong the tenants were paying rent up until she served them with the eviction notice. After which, they weren’t obligated to pay.

This kind of article is always just disappointing to me because it doesn’t get at anything beyond the surface complaints. She played within the rules just fine, she’s allowed to reclaim the property for her personal use and had a reasonable expectation that the situation would be resolved in a much more timely way. But the way our laws are set up creates such a power imbalance. The reasons people become small time landlords are interesting (it’s treated as though there’s little to no risk involved, “passive income”). Laws that allow for short notice evictions are interesting too - they have to operate under the premise that tenants can actually find new housing, and that the disruption to their lives is trumped by the rights of property ownership.

Just longing for meatier reporting than anecdotes as news, I guess…

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TBQH me and my wife regret building out by Selkirk. It's just a tad too far and plan on going back to Winnipeg in about 4-5 years. Living in rural is simply not a good option IMO.

Also, sounds like this system coming tonight is gonna crush SW MB around Brandon and for Winnipeg and SE MB it'll be stormy but hopefully not too bad.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

kaom posted:

Transit, parking, housing, shopping all :lol:

Oh I think her situation was bad, not dismissing it. A divorce and then learning you don’t have the fallback you thought you did? Sucks. But unless I read the article wrong the tenants were paying rent up until she served them with the eviction notice. After which, they weren’t obligated to pay.

This kind of article is always just disappointing to me because it doesn’t get at anything beyond the surface complaints. She played within the rules just fine, she’s allowed to reclaim the property for her personal use and had a reasonable expectation that the situation would be resolved in a much more timely way. But the way our laws are set up creates such a power imbalance. The reasons people become small time landlords are interesting (it’s treated as though there’s little to no risk involved, “passive income”). Laws that allow for short notice evictions are interesting too - they have to operate under the premise that tenants can actually find new housing, and that the disruption to their lives is trumped by the rights of property ownership.

Just longing for meatier reporting than anecdotes as news, I guess…

Unfortunately the rules are dumb which is why tenants rightfully rebel against them.
Ludicrous that you can just kick someone out of their home because "I need it now". Nahhh, you made it a rental, it's a rental now. Only way you should be able to evict someone is if they miss some number of payments or I guess if they're willfully destroying the place. Or you could pay them to leave if you want.
Also, no renovictions. If there are needed repairs that require vacating the premises they get to come back at the exact same rent.

Landlords have too many rights and not enough risk.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

TBQH me and my wife regret building out by Selkirk. It's just a tad too far and plan on going back to Winnipeg in about 4-5 years. Living in rural is simply not a good option IMO.

Also, sounds like this system coming tonight is gonna crush SW MB around Brandon and for Winnipeg and SE MB it'll be stormy but hopefully not too bad.

I'm hoping for a paradigm shift back to the way things were before automobile dependance where there's major metropolitan centers and also small tightly knit communities with self sufficient ammenities coupled with generally a complete abandonment of rural living for the sake of it. There's no reason to live in the middle of nowhere if you're not working the land and as transportation and infrastructure costs get so out of hand we're going to have to stop doing it eventually.

Living in Selkirk itself doesn't seem that terrible if you have a job there but living there and commuting here is a bit unsustainable in the long run.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

1000 new cases a day on average. Wow thanks Premier Houston this rules I'm so happy the tyranny of wearing a mask on the bus or at the Sobeys is over.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

odiv posted:

You don't need the million up front.

You get like $80k from your parents to help with the down payment and you're golden.

Yeah if you happen to have 120k lying around

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

We have enough room in this country for everyone, and a whole fuckton of immigrants beyond that; the supply issue pales in comparison to the demand issue. We need leadership at the federal and provincial levels to make smaller, less constrained cities, more desirable places to build a life.

Speaking only about Ottawa here, but our city council have gone in with both feet on the urban sprawl ponzi scheme: Take money from developers to build SFHs further out, at a density too low to pay for their own infrastructure, with infrastructure too frail to allow high-rise infill, and make up the shortfall by taking money from developers to build more SFHs even further out than that.

I'd suggest the province get into the business of council houses, but I know they'd bungle it.

So what happens to these people when the market adjusts and their seven-figure mortgages put them underwater twice-over on their property? Does CMHC just go broke, or do the feds "encourage" lenders to refinance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

1000 new cases a day on average. Wow thanks Premier Houston this rules I'm so happy the tyranny of wearing a mask on the bus or at the Sobeys is over.

We still have to wear them on the bus.

flakeloaf posted:

So what happens to these people when the market adjusts and their seven-figure mortgages put them underwater twice-over on their property? Does CMHC just go broke, or do the feds "encourage" lenders to refinance?

I'm reasonably sure the knock-on effects of an adjustment of that scale will leave the Canadian economy a smoking crater, so it's probably moot.