Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

eke out posted:

Someone in discord posted that this is still the Stormfather that wanted Dalinar to die rather than bond him and sent a giant storm to kill him lol

But yeah it's really weird and hard, in my opinion, to tell between what's intentionally weird and what's just maybe some first pass writing that'll have its tone corrected through several rounds of edits. I thought the exact thing about the words you mentioned was strange and suspicious too, though I have zero explanation for what the deal is.

Lotta people seem surprised at the lying but that part didn't seem like a big deal to me, Honor's all about bonds and contracts, and unbonded Stormfather doesn't owe anyone poo poo. But his level of agency and scheming DOES make it seem like maybe something more is going on, especially when you compare it to how he'd later talk to Dalinar where he constantly claims to be just a shadow of Tanavast and not know anything about anything.

Which discord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Honestly all their exchanges just reminded me of Ruin talking to people in Mistborn.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

M_Gargantua posted:

Why not? While the NYT list has an unknown weighting for sales source, the sales do still count. Its only known that you can't make the list with single source sales only.

I got impression that the books will be single sourced. Though I guess nothing stops them from tossing the ebooks up on every market place on or after the release date.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.
In the notes under S4, Brandon says this is one of three stories that will be narrated from Wit's apprentices and we are THE MOST familiar with Sigzil. My question: Have we ever met the other two?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm reading Mistborn 1 to my kids (8 and 10) and they adore it so far. My youngest especially, asking me to continue reading well after 30 minutes, and my oldest pretends she doesn't like it but you can tell she does. I of course have to clean up the language and references as I go but still, such a wonderful book. They say it reminds them of The Last Airbender, which is funny since Mistborn 4 definitely has Korra vibes to it specific to its setting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I’m surprised how much talk there is of sex and nudity in the first bit of Warbreaker. This book feels so scandalous for Brando Sando.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Some of Brando Sando's traits are exaggerated because he's popular imo. Like he's known for "optimistic" fantasy, but the first several hundred pages of The Way of Kings is still the protagonist getting repeatedly shat on, and he has other works that are certainly grimmer than that one.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Cicero posted:

Some of Brando Sando's traits are exaggerated because he's popular imo. Like he's known for "optimistic" fantasy, but the first several hundred pages of The Way of Kings is still the protagonist getting repeatedly shat on, and he has other works that are certainly grimmer than that one.

The first few chapters of Elantris are really dark too

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Cicero posted:

Jose Valasquez posted:

The first few chapters of Elantris are really dark too

Mentioned it just the other day (or maybe a few weeks ago now....) but The Final Empire's opening makes Westeros appear idyllic.

But I do think Sanderson's stories are optimistic. That's part of what attracts me to them. I made a comparison to a video game and I won't spoil the game but in the game's ending, the vast majority of the population is dead, the source of all their technology is destroyed, and a number of long held beliefs have been utterly shattered. And yet, the ending doesn't feel depressing and isn't presented as depressing, either. There has been loss, suffering and sorrow, but our heroes stand tall and are ready to make a brighter future.

That's how I see Sanderson's stories. No matter how dark the night - and it can get very dark - the dawn always comes. That's the optimism I find so refreshing.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 6, 2022

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I think it's a tone thing, like yeah Kal is literally a runaway slave whose friends all die repeatedly and I mean, bridge 4, but Sanderson doesn't feel as gritty/edgey/realistic? as Abercrombie.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
On the subject of Warbreaker - I've been working through the audiobook, as I do with all Brando's books.

I got through about 3 hours of Alyssa Bresnahan audiobook before giving up and going with the GraphicAudio adaptation.

Bresnahan isn't necessarily a bad narrator, but I just don't think she does the male voices well. They're a bit too... samey. She's just kinda not great at male voices.

That's not to say the GraphicAudio doesn't have issues. The voice actors are great in a very "this is your local theater troupe overacting" sort of way, but the sound mix can be bad at points. Often time the background audio/sound effects just completely drown out the actors.

All in all, I think when it comes to the audio versions of Warbreaker, the GraphicAudio version is my recommendation. The characters have far more personality.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..

Mordiceius posted:

I’m surprised how much talk there is of sex and nudity in the first bit of Warbreaker. This book feels so scandalous for Brando Sando.

I wound up reading the annotated version of Warbreaker and he mentions that 1) he married his wife while he was writing it, 2) yes, they waited to have sex until they were married, annnnnnd most importantly 3) he commissioned custom swords for everyone in the bridal party. :haw:

The change in the way he talks about sex changes so, so distinctly over his early Cosmere novels. Elantris has very little sexual material, and what there is is just...virgin-y, there's no other way to put it. All the characters who make reference to sex do it with either anxiety or a kind of giggly embarrassed way, if I remember correctly. Warbreaker is a little more explicit and has plot points related to sex, but I found it still somewhat wooden. And then (much later) in Mistborn Era 2, there are kind of stupid, immature sex jokes made as banter between adults.

I feel like he hasn't necessarily gotten less prudish, just maybe...grown a little, got a little more comfortable with the topic? Got some friends who can clown around about sex instead of treating it like a taboo one-way ticket to hell?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I remember an old question about mistborn which was basically 'are vin and elend boning' and brandon basically saying 'they're young adults sharing a tent, I think you can connect the dots'.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

I think it's a tone thing, like yeah Kal is literally a runaway slave whose friends all die repeatedly and I mean, bridge 4, but Sanderson doesn't feel as gritty/edgey/realistic? as Abercrombie.

People like Abercrombie write "everything sucks nobody's good" dark and gritty stories where they want that sort of stuff to be the point. Final Empire starts out far worse than First Law but unlike First Law, Mistborn's story isn't just "...but the future refused to stop sucking" like First Law and you can't immediately tell the major plot beats for everyone 5 seconds after they're introduced in Mistborn like in First Law.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
You were able to predict character arcs in the original First Law trilogy? Things go pretty off rails from what we see in the first book.

I can see where you're coming from if you're talking about Age of Madness, though, with the obvious French Revolution parallels.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

You were able to predict character arcs in the original First Law trilogy? Things go pretty off rails from what we see in the first book.

I can see where you're coming from if you're talking about Age of Madness, though, with the obvious French Revolution parallels.

Off the top of my head, the things I remember guessing almost immediately were Glokta would get to torture/interrogate his boss (guessed this with their first interaction) and take over his position, the helpful mage was actually a bad guy and puppetmaster behind various horrors, and the annoying noble would be made king (and then the mage says outright this is his goal) and largely be a figurehead for said puppetmaster. I also figured any sort of character growth from Ninefingers would be a wash when all's said and done and he'd basically be the same as at the start.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Lightsong is just a more eloquent Wayne.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Mordiceius posted:

Lightsong is just a more eloquent Wayne.

Whoever he is, in my head he's voiced by Zapp Brannigan.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

External Organs posted:

Whoever he is, in my head he's voiced by Zapp Brannigan.

:hmmyes: Scoot is obviously Kiff, yea

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Lightsong: Scoot, I'm feeling the captain's itch.
Scoot: I'll get the powder, sir.
Lightsong: No, the itch for adventure! Prepare to change course.
Scoot: Sir, this is a leisure cruise. Our path was set by the travel agency.
Lightsong: That's for schoolgirls! Now here's a route with some chest hair.
Scoot: But that course leads directly through a swarm of comets.
Lightsong: Yes, comets! The icebergs of the sky.

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Someone mentioned the Mistborn Secret History about 10 pages back, and I'm now making my way through that. It's been a bit since I went through the original mistborn trilogy, but I'm up to date all the way through Wax and Wayne's adventures. I"m trying to recall: After Kelsier dies in Mistborn, how does he come back in his cognitive/ghost form in the core Mistborn world? He's making his way through the Shadesmar of their world now, I can't recall if we see/hear him touching through from the other side.

Stormlight/Mistborn secret history question:
Is that Wit (or Hoid) taking the become-a-mistborn bead at the well of ascension? If so, does he have mistborn powers during his time on Roshar? Do we ever see them, or could he possibly be using emotional Allomancy?

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

road potato posted:

After Kelsier dies in Mistborn, how does he come back in his cognitive/ghost form in the core Mistborn world? He's making his way through the Shadesmar of their world now, I can't recall if we see/hear him touching through from the other side.

when he touches the well he’s invested enough to resist being pulled away to the after life. I’m not sure if you have finished reading secret history yet so don’t want to spoil his journey but the specific mechanics of how he comes back into a body have not been revealed. There are some theories though

quote:

Stormlight/Mistborn secret history question:
Is that Wit (or Hoid) taking the become-a-mistborn bead at the well of ascension? If so, does he have mistborn powers during his time on Roshar? Do we ever see them, or could he possibly be using emotional Allomancy?

yes that’s Hoid. In one of the shallan chapters in words of radiance he can be seen doing what appears to be emotional allomancy

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
[quote="stramit" post="522672594"]
when he touches the well he’s invested enough to resist being pulled away to the after life. I’m not sure if you have finished reading secret history yet so don’t want to spoil his journey but the specific mechanics of how he comes back into a body have not been revealed. There are some theories though
[quote]

Thanks for not spoiling, I'm still only partway through Secret History.

What I'm trying to recall is: in Mistborn/Wax & Wayne, does he come back in some form? I'm trying to remember what plot purpose he serves/who he returns to and what he does, but my memory is fuzzy. Is it something with Spook?

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Keep reading. Since this is Kelsier's version of the events of the Mistborn books you will see what you are trying to remember.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

road potato posted:

Thanks for not spoiling, I'm still only partway through Secret History.

What I'm trying to recall is: in Mistborn/Wax & Wayne, does he come back in some form? I'm trying to remember what plot purpose he serves/who he returns to and what he does, but my memory is fuzzy. Is it something with Spook?

You're remembering Ruin pretending to be Kelsier to decieve Spook I believe.

As for Era 2, he just appears in the epilogue of the (current) last book.

Summary as per the coppermind wiki:

"The explosion awakens Wax, who is still honeymooning with Steris in the penthouse. Drewton has carefully laid out all of Wax's possessions recovered from the hotel in New Seran, and Wax sees the strange coin given to him by the beggar. He picks up the coin and notices that it is composed of two metals, one being copper. He taps it and sees through the eyes -- one spiked and one not -- of someone strolling into a village. The villagers are dying from the cold. They have even burned their masks. The traveler goes to the elders, and one woman lifts her cloth mask. He reaches out to her and whispers one word: "Survive." Wax sees a network of scars on the traveler's arm."

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
The new Prologue is spicey. One of my shitpost theories is looking very likely.

quote:

A Herald… A Herald has died… No. I am not ready… The Oathpact… No. They mustn’t see. They mustn’t know…

So Taln never "broke". So what opened the door for the Desolation and sent Taln back to Roshar was one of the fallen Heralds dying on Roshar (and then respawning on Damnation and almost instantly breaking their own oath, sending themselves and Taln back to prepare the world. Earlier in the prologue we get an unusual amount of focus on this Herald

quote:

“Chanarach,” he said, “was a soldier. I believe it; this is a soldier’s Blade. Solid and straight, but with that little impossibility missing from the center. I should liked to have seen her in battle. Lore often claims she has flaming red hair. Is that true?”

Yes.

“I feel I know them each so well,” he said, holding the Blade in front of him, then turning it to its edge. “My colleagues. Yet I could not pick them out of a crowd.”

Your colleagues only if you can find the Words.

So Shallan's crazy murderous redheaded mother who hung around with the Skybreakers and tried to murder Shallan when she showed signs of attracting a spren was the Herald Chanarach. It's only appropriate as Shallan's past and truths she rediscovers is a series escalating tragedies. That she killed a Herald and opened the door for the desolation is the perfect final tragic truth for her.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Subvisual Haze posted:

The new Prologue is spicey. One of my shitpost theories is looking very likely.

So Taln never "broke". So what opened the door for the Desolation and sent Taln back to Roshar was one of the fallen Heralds dying on Roshar (and then respawning on Damnation and almost instantly breaking their own oath, sending themselves and Taln back to prepare the world. Earlier in the prologue we get an unusual amount of focus on this Herald

So Shallan's crazy murderous redheaded mother who hung around with the Skybreakers and tried to murder Shallan when she showed signs of attracting a spren was the Herald Chanarach. It's only appropriate as Shallan's past and truths she rediscovers is a series escalating tragedies. That she killed a Herald and opened the door for the desolation is the perfect final tragic truth for her.

this isn't remotely confirmed though, the only connection we have at all is that Shallan's mother died in the same year as this occurring

at least, i hope it doesn't go in that direction, Shallan's plot is a loving impenetrable mess of twist after twist after twist and having her be Even More Ultra Special is not the way i would like it to go. also lol if the Soldier Herald got absolutely chumped by a child while Ishar's out there 360 no-scoping the best Radiant soldiers currently alive in RoW

that said, the portrait for Chanarach has always looked nearly exactly like Shallan and maybe Brandon's gonna do it anyways: https://twitter.com/kortizart/status/1329189694270107648/photo/1

eke out fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 11, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

eke out posted:

this isn't remotely confirmed though, the only connection we have at all is that Shallan's mother died in the same year as this occurring

at least, i hope it doesn't go in that direction, Shallan's plot is a loving impenetrable mess of twist after twist after twist and having her be Even More Ultra Special is not the way i would like it to go. also lol if the Soldier Herald got absolutely chumped by a child while Ishar's out there 360 no-scoping the best Radiant soldiers currently alive in RoW

that said, the portrait for Chanarach has always looked nearly exactly like Shallan and maybe Brandon's gonna do it anyways: https://twitter.com/kortizart/status/1329189694270107648/photo/1

A consistent theme is the Heralds end up becoming the antithesis of their original aspects

Ishar the leader, thinker, and uniter becomes a warmonger torturing spren
Jezrien the kingly leader becomes an insane hobo
Nale the Just becomes a merciless killer slave to law
Shalash patron of beauty and art destroys countless relics so she isn't depicted

The warrior herald getting chumped by a child is definitely on brand

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Shallan spoilers talk. As much as it would fit because shallan twists, why would the heralds other than nale give a poo poo about radiants appearing? Other than like the oath pact failing or whatever, but I don't see them all coming to nale's conclusion of killing the radiants preventing the return.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Shallan spoilers talk. As much as it would fit because shallan twists, why would the heralds other than nale give a poo poo about radiants appearing? Other than like the oath pact failing or whatever, but I don't see them all coming to nale's conclusion of killing the radiants preventing the return.

It wasn't actually Nale's conclusion, but Ishar's conclusion. And the other Heralds seemed to have agreed that Ishar was the most rational of them, so he might have convinced more than just Nale of the necessity of killing Radiants.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Subvisual Haze posted:

I love the Shallan's mother was Chanarach theory but I don't know how that truth would work as a truth. Mainly because that's not how Lightweaver truths work; they tend to be personal and require insight from reflection to gain self-awareness.

I suspect that Shallan's fourth truth is going to be quite different, and I would hope is something like "I deserve love", to counteract where she was with "I killed my father", "I killed my mother" and "I killed my spren", because that would actually tie in with Hoid's message to her to "accept the pain, but not that she deserves it" because that is her character arc.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

eke out posted:

also lol if the Soldier Herald got absolutely chumped by a child while Ishar's out there 360 no-scoping the best Radiant soldiers currently alive in RoW

Likelihood of this plot line aside, it doesn't seem weird that a powerful warrior could be killed by someone they didn't expect to fight. Like, their small child who has a surprise shard blade lol

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

eke out posted:

Aside from that and the obvious connection of the red hair as well as it totally being something I could see Sanderson doing? My vote is that the theory is correct. Otherwise is a long way to misdirect. I can see it fitting in with her character arc as well.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

God I hope that theory isn't true. I'd rather not see an already tedious character made even worse.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dude, Shallan isn't only going to have killed her Herald mother, she'll also have such strong Connection from doing so that she'll be able to fill her mother's spot in the Oathpact using her very awkward and tedious not-MPD

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 14, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

like, just to let you know how Shallan's role in that Sanderlanche is going to play out

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

So like, Shallan is going to end up zoroing it from one piece with her mom's honorblade and her own two blades. That, or she full on splits into/lightweaves two other tangible selves that each wield one of the blades.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
You guys joke but I would be down with all o' that I don't care how dumb it is

Give me my stupid fantasy anime books started because the author wanted power armor with ridiculous swords

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

I totally see that happening and I'm down with it. If you don't like that character I doubt there is anything that could happen to make them redeemable in your eyes. I'd be interested to see where Brandon takes that storyline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I started out joking, but then realized decent odds it could actually happen. I don't think the oath pact will get reformed, so she won't need to replace her mom in it, though good chances a new pact gets made and she's part of that, with the honorblade of course. The way the big battle at the end of oathbringer went I'm still expecting a lightweaving/soulcasting mix mode where tangible illusions can be made. Also Shallan rules.