Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If Macron wins election, he’s going to call Putin twice per day.
https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1514177414842175489

"Fraternité" as an idea is big in France. That strikes me as merely tone deaf.

I find these remarks (regarding genocide) much more risible:

Le Monde posted:

Je dirais que la Russie a déclenché d’une manière unilatérale une guerre brutale, qu’il est maintenant établi que des crimes de guerre ont été faits par l’armée russe et qu’il faut maintenant en trouver les responsables.

C’est une folie, ce qui est en train de se passer, c’est d’une brutalité inouïe (…), mais je regarde en même temps les faits et je veux essayer au maximum de continuer à pouvoir arrêter cette guerre et à rebâtir la paix, donc je ne suis pas sûr que l’escalade des mots serve la cause.

Machine translation because deeply is better than my French posted:

I would say that Russia has unilaterally started a brutal war, that it has now been established that war crimes have been committed by the Russian army and that we must now find those responsible.

It is madness, what is happening, it is unheard of brutality (...), but at the same time I look at the facts and I want to try as much as possible to continue to be able to stop this war and to rebuild peace, so I am not sure that the escalation of words serves the cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Sashimi posted:

iirc they're still effective against older armor, like T-72s. It may still be worth sending them as they'll certainly be useful against the many lighter armored vehicles the Russians field like BMPs and BTRs.

They're continuously updated. Last revision is only a 8 years old.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

alex314 posted:

I wonder what's the condition of those 125mm tank shells. Still always a useful find, since they are the ammo type used by all MBTs in the region.

I’d be more concerned that a couple have been booby trapped with C4 instead of the normal propellant. I hope they check them all carefully.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If Macron wins election, he’s going to call Putin twice per day.
https://twitter.com/samramani2/status/1514177414842175489

Kind of depends on the whole context, the people are obviously closely related with a lot of shared culture and history (some of which is... very unfortunate). It could really just emphasize the horror that is putin's war.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
:nms: "Simulated execution" propaganda video. Ukrainian actress talks of blood harvest and "kills" a "Russian soldier" with a sickle.

code:
https://twitter.com/GabrielCSGavin/status/1514157327393374216
The Russian tough guy response (not nms)

https://twitter.com/GabrielCSGavin/status/1514151917999566854

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

mobby_6kl posted:

Kind of depends on the whole context, the people are obviously closely related with a lot of shared culture and history (some of which is... very unfortunate). It could really just emphasize the horror that is putin's war.

It was said specifically in the context of why Macron hesitated to call this a genocide. "They're almost the same people, so it can't be a genocide". That's either a frighteningly cynical or naive take. I don't know which worst coming from Macron.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah, you could also very charitably read it as lamenting a war between brothers being the worst kind of tragedy. (It's Macron, so lol)

The Finnish Civil War of 1917 between Whites and Reds was often painted as a "war of brother against brother" to try to create a common tragic narrative that descendants of both sides could get behind and maybe put the conflict past them. It took about 100 years and, ultimately, with time, the willingness to be open about what happened for that process to kind of work itself out. I think we can expect the same kind fo time frame here, supposing that Russians are willing to do some soul-searching themselves. Historically speaking... that doesn't seem very likely. :sigh:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PederP posted:

It was said specifically in the context of why Macron hesitated to call this a genocide. "They're almost the same people, so it can't be a genocide". That's either a frighteningly cynical or naive take. I don't know which worst coming from Macron.

Kind of a weird application of the paper bag test

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm reminded of that one tweet from before the war claiming that the West doesn't understand the bond between Ukraine and Russia, and that Ukrainians would never resist a Russian invasion

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

gay picnic defence posted:

Has anyone sent any Carl Gustafs? I know Australia has a bunch and I doubt we'd need them anytime soon.

Dunno how they'd go against MBT armour but they'd be pretty good at loving up anything else.

The Carl Gustav is just a rifled tube with a trigger, a sight and a venturi nozzle. How it does against armor depends entirely on the ammunition provided for it, and since it's been in continuous use since 1948 there's been like five or six generations of anti-tank round developed for it in the Swedish army alone, and who knows how many more variants in other countries. The main problem with it isn't really the armor penetration though (it's perfectly adequate against tank side armor in ambushes, even with cold war era rounds), it's the same old problem it's always had - it fires very low velocity rounds, so it's very difficult to use against tank-sized moving targets beyond like 200 meters away. That's why the NLAW exists in the first place. Still, it's a very useful and cheap support weapon to have around, and the sheer variety of ammunition options makes it very flexible - there's smoke rounds, anti-structure rounds, time-fuzed HE for indirect fire, you name it. It's still selling very well 70 years after its first introduction.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Cantide posted:

So .. which EU member state is currently under attack?

Ya I'm not following the whole "EU doesn't/won't provide defense for members".

With that said there's not much downside, that I can see, for countries to join NATO. Russia going to threaten them?

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

downout posted:

With that said there's not much downside, that I can see, for countries to join NATO. Russia going to threaten them?

That, and a lot of leftist sermonizing about Threatening the Delicate Balance of Power And Security In Europe By Bullying Russia. There was an op ed by a known Leftist professor of politics in the main Finnish paper today about the perfidious west not thinking enough about poor Russias fee-fees and how if they decide to lash out, Finland has basically brought it over themselves. The masks finally falling off from the faces of "impartial observers" never fails to give me a chuckle.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/valstsgriba/status/1514202797474029571
Are presidents have landed.

mobby_6kl posted:

It was used as a (kind-of) justification for not describing Russian actions as genocide, which is, as Antigravitas politely says, “risible”.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

downout posted:

NATO (at least in principle) requires you to spend at least 2% of your GDP on defense. Many NATOs countries do not live up to this, but I guess when joining it is considered bad form to not try a little harder than the rest. Sweden is at less than 1.5% I think. Also, there is the whole standardization aspect. I think Sweden/Finland are generally already standardized according to those, but there could be areas where they will need to spend time and money to adapt. With a domestic arms industry that might be a bother. So there are downsides outside of the purely political. There is a cost to joining.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Haven't seen this one elsewhere:

Tagesschau posted:

Belarusian ruler Alexander Lukashenko has rejected alleged plans for the ex-Soviet republic to join Russia. "We are not so stupid with Putin that we are working with the old methods. We, I say, are building such unity between two independent states that people will learn from us," he said in Vladivostok, according to the Belarusian state news agency Belta. Russian President Vladimir Putin has repeatedly been accused of wanting to rebuild the Soviet Union, which collapsed over 30 years ago. He rejects this.

I proofread that translation and at least De->En is accurate. I don't speak Russian so I can't check Belta, but…

I mean, lol.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

That, and a lot of leftist sermonizing about Threatening the Delicate Balance of Power And Security In Europe By Bullying Russia. There was an op ed by a known Leftist professor of politics in the main Finnish paper today about the perfidious west not thinking enough about poor Russias fee-fees and how if they decide to lash out, Finland has basically brought it over themselves. The masks finally falling off from the faces of "impartial observers" never fails to give me a chuckle.

What I dislike about that reasoning is how one-sided it always is. Russia itself can do whatever it likes, assassinate people in other countries, commit unprovoked cyber attacks, even invade neighboring states and annex their territory, while the rest of Europe still has to be constantly wary of 'provoking' them in one way or another. I think a lot of people are just tired of their poo poo.

Antigravitas posted:

I proofread that translation and at least De->En is accurate. I don't speak Russian so I can't check Belta, but…

I mean, lol.

In the past three decades they've formed twenty different unions, so maybe they really should get it over with and just join Russia outright

e: one interesting tidbit that I wasn't necessarily aware of until a few months ago is that apparently only a small minority of Belarusians actively uses the Belarusian language, with most of them speaking Russian instead. I know that language does not equal nationality (as the Russian invaders in Ukraine are finding out right now), but I'm wondering if that's part of why Belarus is so much more compliant. Belarusian seems to be in much worse shape than Ukrainian.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Apr 13, 2022

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I mean this was a valid state when half of West Europe was so tightly in the USSR sphere of influence that "pissing off Russia" was an existential threat to them. Some people who grew to adulthood in those times would be in their 50s, a prime age to become a politician with massive brainworms :v:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

What I dislike about that reasoning is how one-sided it always is. Russia itself can do whatever it likes, assassinate people in other countries, commit unprovoked cyber attacks, even invade neighboring states and annex their territory, while the rest of Europe still has to be constantly wary of 'provoking' them in one way or another. I think a lot of people are just tired of their poo poo.

Imagine how well the “you poke the bear you have it coming” rhetoric would go over if you substituted the US in Russia’s place.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

"Fraternité" as an idea is big in France. That strikes me as merely tone deaf.

You are unaware of the cultural context here, as I suppose is Macron, but it's kinda part of his job to be aware (well, or rather to check with advisors who would be). Russians love to go on about how Ukrainians are their "little brothers". Left unsaid is a whole lot of condescention and racism being packed in the "little" there. And, of course, it's inherently imperialist: you have some right to get involved with matters of your family, don't you, especially if your "little brother" is being mislead by big bad Americans? A common expression after 2014 in Ukraine is "we will never again be brothers with you".

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

I know, I just wanted to explain the French cultural context since Macron said it on a French TV channel. To a French audience it's a familiar narrative from their own history and also the framing of "Putin's war".

And I severely doubt Macron knows or is interested. He's a twat.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

This just gets more upsetting the more I think about what she's saying
https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1514218090589876226?s=20&t=NAlMKEpMNsR5aPv0UD4dBg
What's that about this not being genocide, Macron?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Tiny Timbs posted:

Imagine how well the “you poke the bear you have it coming” rhetoric would go over if you substituted the US in Russia’s place.

Lol exactly

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

KitConstantine posted:

Extreme Lebensborn energies tbh.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

So there is this dumb new anti-Semitic conspiracy going around, that Zelenskyy is a cousin of Soros. He isn't, not that that should matter either way. but this popped up and I can't stop laughing at the yellow banner at the bottom.

https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1514190775579512832

Tac Dibar
Apr 7, 2009

Here's the norwegian caricature, made even more norwegian.

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

Tiny Timbs posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure that Europe would have much to say if the US invaded Mexico on the basis of shutting down the drug trade - the reason we are seeing such a different response from various countries is based on proximity, not some kind of inherent difference in the morality of France/Germany vs everyone else. No one really expected so many going to bat for Ukraine to begin with, and I struggle to see how, for example, Poland would be able to spin defending Mexico as part of their nationalist government rhetoric - it works because everyone already has beef with Russia

Atreiden posted:

So there is this dumb new anti-Semitic conspiracy going around, that Zelenskyy is a cousin of Soros. He isn't, not that that should matter either way. but this popped up and I can't stop laughing at the yellow banner at the bottom.

Surely that is parody, right? I don't see anything that would identify where it is from, and the layout doesn't bring to mind any English-language sources I can think of

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 13, 2022

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

BougieBitch posted:

Surely that is parody, right? I don't see anything that would identify where it is from, and the layout doesn't bring to mind any English-language sources I can think of

Yeah it’s definitely parody. Looks to me like trying to imitate an old CNN layout?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Read the chiron.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Trump posted:

They're continuously updated. Last revision is only a 8 years old.
The T-72 sucks. A sizeable amount of Russian T-72s in Ukraine are T-72 variants from the Soviet era.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

"Medvedchuk? Who's that guy? Don't know him"
https://twitter.com/IuliiaMendel/status/1514235263844761601?s=20&t=QSFaXDuN1miunW4wbpoikA
More like ShitOuttaLuk :smug:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

I can imagine they'll give him a very luxurious jail cell to rot in for the rest of his life. Any time he comes out, he can dig graves for the dead Ukrainian citizens. Serve him right.
:yeshaha:

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.

KitConstantine posted:

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1514218090589876226?s=20&t=NAlMKEpMNsR5aPv0UD4dBg
What's that about this not being genocide, Macron?
"They will be retrained" is some fuckin' language for sure :staredog:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Carrying on with the "maybe we should ask Ukrainians what they want" theme, I'm seeing a lot of "maybe we should ask Swedes and Finns if they want to join NATO instead of their governments forcing it on them" comments this morning.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Atreiden posted:

oh yeah the chuds live in their own insane cinimatic universe where everything is connected in some grand insane narrative.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Apollo posted:

Carrying on with the "maybe we should ask Ukrainians what they want" theme, I'm seeing a lot of "maybe we should ask Swedes and Finns if they want to join NATO instead of their governments forcing it on them" comments this morning.

Shockingly, in a Ria News poll 98.5% voted for "Get invaded by russia"

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr. Apollo posted:

https://twitter.com/DaveKeating/status/1514198882250596356

probably because this happened.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Budzilla posted:

The T-72 sucks. A sizeable amount of Russian T-72s in Ukraine are T-72 variants from the Soviet era.

That's cool, but I was talking about the Carl Gustaf

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

That's loving hilarious given the NATO approval ratings in polls have spiked like crazy

Finland: https://yle.fi/news/3-12357832

quote:

An Yle poll suggests there is growing support for the country to join the Nato military alliance, with 62 percent of respondents saying they are in favour of such a move.
Interviews for the latest survey took place between 9 and 11 March — just as Russia's war on Ukraine entered its third week — and the results suggest that only 16 percent of people in Finland would now oppose an application to join. This is down from 28 percent in the poll published two weeks ago.

Some 21 percent said they were unsure, up from 19 percent in the previous poll.

An application from Sweden would increase the positive proportion of responses to 77 percent, while a positive stance on Nato membership from Finland's political leadership would increase it to 74 percent.

Sweden: https://www.thelocal.se/20220324/six-out-of-ten-swedes-would-back-nato-if-finland-joined-poll/

quote:

According to a poll by Kantor-Sifo, 59 percent of respondents would support joining Nato if Finland were also to join, while only 17 percent would be against joining. The remaining 24 percent were undecided.

When Finland’s membership was stripped out, the support for joining Nato dropped to 41, with 26 percent against and 33 percent undecided.

Lower in Sweden, but if Finland joins the numbers are almost identical. Also this data is almost a month old so things have likely changed since.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mr. Apollo posted:

These people sure like to get thoroughly owned.

Antigravitas posted:

I mean, lol.

https://www.belta.by/president/view/lukashenko-u-belarusi-i-rossii-esche-budut-uchitsja-kak-preodolevat-sanktsii-495793-2022/

Russian is also accurate, in a sense, but may leave an incorrect impression. The precise quote from Lukashenko is as follows:

“I say: neither me, nor Putin are foolish to such an extent that we would follow the old methods. We, [I] say, shall erect such unity between the two independent states, that [others] will learn from us. Will learn from us! And how to overcome sanctions, and so on”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Yeah, popular support for NATO membership in Finland has gone from "sure, maybe, if it comes to that" to "get us the gently caress in NOW" so of course the usual suspects think that either the polls can be ignored, the polls must be wrong or "the people" need to be re-educated in the matter to understand what's really good for them. Unsurprising but still hilarious and infuriating at the same time - as usual, only USA and Russia have agency, the little peoples should just fall in line.