Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s no way this happens. What’s far more likely is that Jimmy/Saul finally pushes his gimmick too far, they break up, and she puts distance between them. That opens it up for her to defend him in court in the modern day finale when he inevitably gets caught and shipped back to ABQ for his trial.

I feel like Kim's chance of survival is pretty much 50/50 at this point. If she does actually die I feel like that makes Saul from breaking bad a much shittier dude though, because it would mean he just continued on with his worst impulses despite the worst case scenario happening. I'm leaning towards him just going too far and losing her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Tokyo Vice is good. It's kind of got four leads, and Elgort is easy enough to ignore. I hope it fares better than Luck!

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!
The good thing about Severance is that it does not rely on mysteries or cliffhangers to be interesting/to create tension. The appeal is with the characters and the hosed up concept it works with. You learn everything you need to know pretty much in the first episode, i.e. that a hosed up company is treating its workers in a uniquely hosed up way which results in an interesting philosophical conundrumand the rest is just trimmings. What really makes the show work is the character development. We're not really waiting for any big reveal, we're waiting to see what the characters are gonna do about their predicament (and they do plenty in season 1).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I like that in Severance the audience knows so much more than the characters do, so it's enjoyable watching the mysteries present themselves. Better than :lost: where it was just mystery after mystery and we didn't know any more than the characters.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Severance is some of the best TV I've watched in a long, long time. I love everything about it - writing, music, acting, aesthetic, all top notch. The finale was absolutely gripping, I'm at once completely satisfied and hungry for more.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like Kim's chance of survival is pretty much 50/50 at this point. If she does actually die I feel like that makes Saul from breaking bad a much shittier dude though, because it would mean he just continued on with his worst impulses despite the worst case scenario happening. I'm leaning towards him just going too far and losing her.

I hope you're right because she's such a good character. But she never showed up in breaking bad so I don't have a good feeling about it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Barry Foster posted:

Severance is some of the best TV I've watched in a long, long time. I love everything about it - writing, music, acting, aesthetic, all top notch. The finale was absolutely gripping, I'm at once completely satisfied and hungry for more.

my favorite part of the finale is (not a story spoiler) that John Turturro doesn't have a single line of dialogue, just pure acting

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Field Mousepad posted:

I hope you're right because she's such a good character. But she never showed up in breaking bad so I don't have a good feeling about it.

BCS is essentially "breaking good", so the ultimate breaking good would be her escaping Saul's self destruction.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I want to see that trust me, I always thought she was too smart to let Jimmy put her life in danger but she's not apparently.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

precision posted:

my favorite part of the finale is (not a story spoiler) that John Turturro doesn't have a single line of dialogue, just pure acting

holy poo poo I didn't even pick up on that

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

holy poo poo I didn't even pick up on that

He yells a name at the end! :banjo:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Captain Jesus posted:

The good thing about Severance is that it does not rely on mysteries or cliffhangers to be interesting/to create tension. The appeal is with the characters and the hosed up concept it works with. You learn everything you need to know pretty much in the first episode, i.e. that a hosed up company is treating its workers in a uniquely hosed up way which results in an interesting philosophical conundrumand the rest is just trimmings. What really makes the show work is the character development. We're not really waiting for any big reveal, we're waiting to see what the characters are gonna do about their predicament (and they do plenty in season 1).

I'd agree with this. It could be that the work they do is explained enough as is - it's probably some way of quantitatively testing the mental/emotional faculties of each "refiner". Really the only Lost-ish mystery I'm waiting for a big reveal on is those loving baby goats.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Captain Jesus posted:

Severance has a premise that definitely could have have been made as a show where this description applies, but I absolutely don't think it applies to the actual show as it has been made, especially after the last episode, where there is a lot of plot and the entire season literally ends on a cliffhanger.

I also think that it's possible you may be disappointed with the next season if you are imagining it as being a mostly psychological show about how the characters deal with the fact that they're stuck in their situation, because it's not clear if that's the direction the show is going in now. Since so little information has been revealed so far, I think there is a lot of room to imagine it going in different directions. It is possible that it could go back to something more like the beginning of the show in the second season, but it's also very possible that it could just continue directly along the lines of the season finale.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 10, 2022

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

RCarr posted:

He yells a name at the end! :banjo:

I think he also calls radar a good boy at some point, but I think the point still stands. Irving B. is much a changed man from his initial character.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

mystes posted:

Severance has a premise that definitely could have have been made as a show where this description applies, but I absolutely don't think it applies to the actual show as it has been made, especially after the last episode, where there is a lot of plot and the entire season literally ends on a cliffhanger.

I also think that it's possible you may be disappointed with the next season if you are imagining it as being a mostly psychological show about how the characters deal with the fact that they're stuck in their situation, because it's not clear if that's the direction the show is going in now. Since so little information has been revealed so far, I think there is a lot of room to imagine it going in different directions. It is possible that it could go back to something more like the beginning of the show in the second season, but it's also very possible that it could just continue directly along the lines of the season finale.

The show might be going in a different direction in the next season of course, but I personally have no problem with the show doing that (in theorey - I might have if it sucks for some reason). The plot is left unfinished in the last episode, but there hasn't been any revelation or new information that changes the nature of what we've learned so far (with the exception of Helly being revealed as a member of the Eagen family .

My point is that the show does not rely on unsolved mysteries to keep you interested, which I don't think your post disproves.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The Ultimatum is Netflix taking their trash reality tv genre to new heights of trashiness, it's so bad. The takeaway reasonable people will have from the show is that literally all of these people should break up and work on themselves.

There's a lot of talk from the contestants of "going through this experiment", which has become a common theme in all of these Netflix dating shows and you can tell that's how the producers are pitching it to these people. But if it was actually an experiment about becoming better partners or strengthening your relationships, all of these people would be going to couples counseling and individual counseling throughout the entire show.

Instead it's just Jerry Springer with a fancy Netflix sheen.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Papercut posted:

The Ultimatum is Netflix taking their trash reality tv genre to new heights of trashiness, it's so bad. The takeaway reasonable people will have from the show is that literally all of these people should break up and work on themselves.

There's a lot of talk from the contestants of "going through this experiment", which has become a common theme in all of these Netflix dating shows and you can tell that's how the producers are pitching it to these people. But if it was actually an experiment about becoming better partners or strengthening your relationships, all of these people would be going to couples counseling and individual counseling throughout the entire show.

"I never thought MY boyfriend would makeout with another woman," sobs woman who elected to be on the Send Your Boyfriend To Live With Someone Else For Three Weeks Show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Papercut posted:

I haven't watched it but I did watch Love is Blind which is the most amazing pile of poo poo I have ever watched and noticed the Ultimatum is hosted by the same boy band guy and his wife.

One of my favorite things in Love is blind is how he always introduces himself as
"I'm Nick Lachey, but you already know that"
"I'm Nick Lachey, obviously"
"I'm Nick Lachey, but that goes without saying"
and then he's just like oh yeah this is my wife she's just some lady

I had to google who the gently caress he was.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

thiccabod posted:

"I never thought MY boyfriend would makeout with another woman," sobs woman who elected to be on the Send Your Boyfriend To Live With Someone Else For Three Weeks Show.

lol it's a lot worse than simple jealousy issues like that though, the whole show is basically:

Person 1: "I want x"
Person 2: "I don't want x"
Person 1: "Actually you do want x and now I'm gonna get really defensive and argumentative about why I'm right"

veni veni veni posted:

I haven't watched it but I did watch Love is Blind which is the most amazing pile of poo poo I have ever watched and noticed the Ultimatum is hosted by the same boy band guy and his wife.

One of my favorite things in Love is blind is how he always introduces himself as
"I'm Nick Lachey, but you already know that"
"I'm Nick Lachey, obviously"
"I'm Nick Lachey, but that goes without saying"
and then he's just like oh yeah this is my wife she's just some lady

I had to google who the gently caress he was.

Every scene they're in they try to impart the wisdom from their own relationship to the poor non-celebs trapped in the room with them :D

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Papercut posted:

lol it's a lot worse than simple jealousy issues like that though, the whole show is basically:

Person 1: "I want x"
Person 2: "I don't want x"
Person 1: "Actually you do want x and now I'm gonna get really defensive and argumentative about why I'm right"

My finance was practically yelling at the screen as one dude kept insisting that the woman who doesn't want kids actually does want them but she just doesn't realize it yet and he'll totally convince her how wrong she is. Absolute psycho poo poo

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I had the urge to watch Russian Doll again the other day, probably because I'd been thinking about the S2 trailer, and had completely forgotten that it takes place on her 36th birthday. It was my 36th birthday when I sat down to watch it again. Weird.

Anyway it's still a great show and season 2 comes out in about a week so it's a good time to rewatch.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I wasn't sure about Metal Lords at first, but it totally won me over and goddamn the last scenes were perfect. The concert was legit great.

Gotta say, for fans of classic metal or anyone who has ever been in a band, give it a shot.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The Night House: is it good or is it wack

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

regulargonzalez posted:

The Night House: is it good or is it wack

It's good!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I liked it. It didn't blow me away but Rebecca Hall is really good in everything (see Christine, the most depressing film) and it's worth seeing.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

it has some really great, creative cinematography and there were some parts that were genuinely chilling imo

otherwise it's just okay

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I'd give it a B. Really nothing bad to say about it. It's one of those horror movies that is well made, but also doesn't really stand out a whole lot to me.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Meh.

Some cool imagery, but it felt like a Lifetime movie that tried to go the prestige horror route.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

6 Episodes into severance and this show is so goddamn good

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

veni veni veni posted:

6 Episodes into severance and this show is so goddamn good

Yeah. Also check out From.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Disposable Scud posted:

Yeah. Also check out From.

Nice. This sounds up my alley I’ll check it out.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I don't know how you people can in good conscience support the cliffhanger-industrial complex.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
TV is an inherently flawed narrative device and I will always prefer a tight 105 but dammit if I don’t love a cliffhanger.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I generally hate cliffhangers, but have some issues with what people actually view as a cliffhanger lately. At least in a negative light. I cannot comment on Severance, since I still have 2 more episodes. I'm sure I'll have something to say about the ending tomorrow. But I did read people's posts (just opinions no spoilers) as it aired, and after watching it I feel like I can safely say that people that didn't like it are the exact same breed that hates stuff like Raised by Wolves. People that just watch things with the mindset of "how are they going to explain this" which really misses the forest for the trees.

I mean, I'm not going to sit and pretend I don't care about the central mysteries of the show. of course I want to know wtf Lumen is actually doing, but to me all of that feels really secondary to the drama, characters and the show's take on split consciousness, which is far more interesting. it's not impossible the ending just gets botched, but I'll be happy if it pushes the characters forward in some interesting way. I don't need to know all the answers.

E: Archive 81 went out of it's way to explain everything at the end of the season and it sort of ruined the show because the answers weren't all that interesting. And then they still did a cliffhanger lol.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Apr 15, 2022

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
From is guilty of the "nothing is explained and more mysteries are introduced" :lost: cliffhanger, but I really wasn't expecting it to answer anything. I just hope it's a planned out series with answers that will pay off scenes from season 1.

Severance has a "cliffhanger", but it absolutely answered questions. You know more about what's going on than you do in the first episode.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
What do y'all think about Moon Knight so far? I like all the actors but the action scenes are kind of weak. Just kinda meh so far to me.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Field Mousepad posted:

What do y'all think about Moon Knight so far? I like all the actors but the action scenes are kind of weak. Just kinda meh so far to me.

I thought the big fight scene in ep3 was pretty great honestly. The score really stood out to me too, they are going big movie budget on it. I was kinda iffy on the show for the first 2 but the 3rd ep sold me on it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The fight scenes mostly suck because the CG Moon Knight costume is loving terrible.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I think the cgi is fine, the fight sequences are just boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
tbf all fight sequences are boring

e: except in tokusatsu