Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

We're having a meeting next week and I'm going to need to explain the need to set a schedule and stick to it so we stop ordering ingredients for every beer one at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

You seem to be good at what you do, can’t just go into business for yourself?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Invalid Validation posted:

You seem to be good at what you do, can’t just go into business for yourself?

I'd like to but equipment is not cheap and I don't think I could handle the business side as well as the production side on my own, even if money wasn't an issue. I've been thinking about it/looking into it. All in all I probably need about a million bucks, or just shy of that. I'm also in Japan so if I did this I'd probably need a business partner with citizenship to get loans. Some coworkers seem interested sorta. We'll see. This place has been alright and tends to listen to me, but sometimes the constant wrangling gets frustrating.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Escape From Noise posted:

Yeah. I told them I'm not coming in today and we'll work it out next week because we need so much more information than just that and it's my day off. They do let me come in late and leave early on days where I don't have anything going on but I also realized I needed to set boundaries. I am the only brewer so I'm sure there will be times I'm going to need to come in on my days off but this wasn't a good enough reason at all. Especially considering I recently did inventory.

Assuming you're hourly this is you doing them a favour to decrease payroll expenses.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

I'd like to but equipment is not cheap and I don't think I could handle the business side as well as the production side on my own, even if money wasn't an issue. I've been thinking about it/looking into it. All in all I probably need about a million bucks, or just shy of that. I'm also in Japan so if I did this I'd probably need a business partner with citizenship to get loans. Some coworkers seem interested sorta. We'll see. This place has been alright and tends to listen to me, but sometimes the constant wrangling gets frustrating.

There is always a level of tension between the technical people who actually make/deliver the product and the people who sell that product to customers.

The business/sales people see opportunities to sell and make money for the business, but they don’t necessarily know the costs of that sale vs previously committed work and planned future work.

If they see an opportunity to sell $100 of stuff that you gotta make, but you gotta cancel or delay an order for $1000 of stuff, thats a bad deal. If the oppo is for $10000 tho, and it wont ruin the relationship with the $1000 customer to delay their order, then that’s maybe a good idea.

If you can explain the impact of their production change requests in terms of the total impact to revenue then they will listen if they are not utter dumbasses.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Outrail posted:

Assuming you're hourly this is you doing them a favour to decrease payroll expenses.

I'm salaried.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

fresh_cheese posted:

There is always a level of tension between the technical people who actually make/deliver the product and the people who sell that product to customers.

The business/sales people see opportunities to sell and make money for the business, but they don’t necessarily know the costs of that sale vs previously committed work and planned future work.

If they see an opportunity to sell $100 of stuff that you gotta make, but you gotta cancel or delay an order for $1000 of stuff, thats a bad deal. If the oppo is for $10000 tho, and it wont ruin the relationship with the $1000 customer to delay their order, then that’s maybe a good idea.

If you can explain the impact of their production change requests in terms of the total impact to revenue then they will listen if they are not utter dumbasses.

Yeah. That's definitely an issue and the fact that beer is a product that is fermented and thus takes a while there's that added issue. Thanks for the perspective. It's something I've been working on explaining. They have been pretty perceptive but I guess this situation made me sorta blow a bit of a gasket.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Yeah. That's definitely an issue and the fact that beer is a product that is fermented and thus takes a while there's that added issue. Thanks for the perspective. It's something I've been working on explaining. They have been pretty perceptive but I guess this situation made me sorta blow a bit of a gasket.

As the brewer if you get a little gud at the finance portion of the business you get exponentially more valuable. :)

Dont be afraid to draw it out like a gantt chart with money flows ( payable, receivable ) attached to process inputs and product output and include ingredient ordering lead times.

Keep that currentish and when some bozo shows up with their hot opportunity you can show them the production schedule and the current revenue plan so you can collectively decide whether the opportunity is worth going after.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I definitely could stand to know more about financials for sure. I know broad strokes but less specific stuff. I think they'll probably listen. They just do not understand the industry. Imagine showing up to the most important beer event of the year with one beer after having gotten your license months earlier. I get we have a bottleneck with our lack of cold room space but even then.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I definitely could stand to know more about financials for sure. I know broad strokes but less specific stuff. I think they'll probably listen. They just do not understand the industry. Imagine showing up to the most important beer event of the year with one beer after having gotten your license months earlier. I get we have a bottleneck with our lack of cold room space but even then.

When you say one beer I'm just imagining you showing up with a single bottle of beer.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Machai posted:

When you say one beer I'm just imagining you showing up with a single bottle of beer.

Then we run around asking anyone if they have a bottle opener.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Then we run around asking anyone if they have a bottle opener.

I unsheathe my Hanzo steel...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

McGavin posted:

I unsheathe my Hanzo steel...

While you were out partying and having sex, I was studying the brew.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

I don't think I could handle the business side
Hasn't stopped your boss!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Bosses. It's part of a massive restaurant management company. Things are okay overall. Just things can be kind of a cluster when all of the managers start making calls about specifics.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I mapped out when I could get that beer finished under the best case scenario of getting everything I needed by the end of the week and that beer wouldn't be finished in time for the event, whereas if we stick with the original schedule we should be able to have that beer done in time. Fortunately, my bosses here have deferred to me over these kinds of decisions, so I don't think they're going to try and get me to "make it work" and I could use this as an object lesson on why we don't gently caress with/make last minute additions to the production schedule.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I mapped out when I could get that beer finished under the best case scenario of getting everything I needed by the end of the week and that beer wouldn't be finished in time for the event, whereas if we stick with the original schedule we should be able to have that beer done in time. Fortunately, my bosses here have deferred to me over these kinds of decisions, so I don't think they're going to try and get me to "make it work" and I could use this as an object lesson on why we don't gently caress with/make last minute additions to the production schedule.

Next time they ask you to do something you disagree with, just remember to audibly suck air through your teeth and say "dou desu ka ne". :japan:

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

RillAkBea posted:

Next time they ask you to do something you disagree with, just remember to audibly suck air through your teeth and say "dou desu ka ne". :japan:

That or "Sore wa chotto...". This is Osaka so maybe I could also go like "Oie! Mendo!"

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
One time HR left a printout of a spreadsheet sitting on the main general printer containing the entire staffing salaries, contractor costs and several offer letters to new hires with salary and benefits listed which were well above existing staff in those positions.

To this day, I presume it was for the boss or something to review numbers as we were in talks to land a huge project and spin up a new team.

HR has their own printer for keeping sensitive documents away from the rest of the floor, but I guess they hosed up and sent it to the wrong printer on the wrong day.

Didn't take long for pretty much everyone to see it and the resulting wildfire spread like the office was soaked in gasoline. Next day there was an all hands meeting, followed by dozens of one-on-one meetings with lots of raised voices and door slamming.

By the end of the week, it seemed like at least 20% of the office was gone and the new project fell through. The weeks following pretty much gutted the company minus the CEO and his director reports.

By the time I bailed, it was like 4 people down from 85-90.

I used to feel transparency was important, but after witnessing what happens if everyone else knows who is getting paid what, it becomes a difficult and awkward situation. It's almost like loving the boss or coworker knows your browser history or something like that.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 17, 2022

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Slayerjerman posted:

HR has their own printer for keeping sensitive documents away from the rest of the floor, but I guess they hosed up and sent it to the wrong printer on the wrong day.

Or someone at HR was also getting screwed the same as everyone else

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Couldn't have been, HR was the CEO's wife and sister in law. But... he was kinda a giant rear end in a top hat to everyone, including our clients, often trash talking to them to get invoices paid despite not meeting deadlines or spec.

I ran into the CEO awkwardly a few years later at a conference, where he revealed he was no longer married... The dude pretty much lost everything and was trying to get anyone to listen to his vaporware pitches at the conference. Real sad.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 17, 2022

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Slayerjerman posted:

One time HR left a printout of a spreadsheet sitting on the main general printer containing the entire staffing salaries, contractor costs and several offer letters to new hires with salary and benefits listed which were well above existing staff in those positions.

To this day, I presume it was for the boss or something to review numbers as we were in talks to land a huge project and spin up a new team.

Didn't take long for pretty much everyone to see it and the resulting wildfire spread like the office was soaked in gasoline. Next day there was an all hands meeting, followed by dozens of one-on-one meetings with lots of raised voices and door slamming.

By the end of the week, it seemed like at least 20% of the office was gone and the new project fell through. The weeks following pretty much gutted the company minus the CEO and his director reports.

By the time I bailed, it was like 4 people down from 85-90.

I used to feel transparency was important, but after witnessing what happens if everyone else knows who is getting paid what, it becomes a difficult and awkward situation. It's almost like loving the boss or coworker knows your browser history or something like that.

There is something of an uncomfortable truth that some employees in the same position are just better than others so they get paid more. Or they know something so we need to make sure they don't leave.

Sometimes it's for some insane reason but 9 times out of 10 Jim Bob gets paid more than Billy because Billy is a seat warmer that we need but if he left would not be that much of a problem.

All companies will pay you as little as possible to stop you leaving which is why you should never have loyalty to your company.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The fact the company couldn't scramble to fix the problem is the issue, not that people were paid different amounts per se.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Slayerjerman posted:

I've worked in places where this sort of thing would cause minor drama and adjustments at most, because they were fairly up-front about what happened and why. A chunk of pay info did in fact leak there one time, and nothing much came of it.

If a company can be utterly destroyed by that sort of revelation, then maybe it deserved to be, for the depth and extent of its fuckery?
It's not the transparency that's the problem, it's the loving.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A company doesn't collapse like that because Carol the Company Carrier is earning 30% more than Steve the Seat Warmer. It collapses because Steve the Seat Warmer is earning 30% more than Carol the Company Carrier oh and also Steve is the boss's useless nephew.

The budget for new hires expecting the new hires to be paid more is both extremely common and was the absolute death knell.

Saying the problem was knowing each other's salaries is like saying the problem with Theranos was those damned whistleblowers.

e:

Atopian posted:

It's not the transparency that's the problem, it's the loving.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Splicer posted:

The budget for new hires expecting the new hires to be paid more is both extremely common and was the absolute death knell.

My industry went a bit funny in the last year and recruitment quite rightly said our bands were too low we needed to up them, so the company did. What they didn't do was keep everyone at the same relative comp ratio so if you were at 1.0 before you might be at 0.9 now. So just now it's really possible for us to hire people at higher salaries than current folk in the same bands.

It is getting fixed but it's a weird place to be.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Slayerjerman posted:

(...)

I don't think this was about transparency, just that the company was wildly underpaying the existing employees.

The company wasn't offering new hires much better salary/benefits out of generosity, but because they went to hire new people and found that no decent candidates were interested, then had to up everything to offer competitive salaries. At this point, they could have very easily readjusted the salaries of existing employees to bring everybody up to market rate, but instead just decided to keep everybody as-is hoping that the existing employees wouldn't find out. Once the existing employees did realize it, they were both (a) pissed off that they were making less than the new guy and (b) holy poo poo, if that's what people are making, it's time to look around.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
And yet while they could have simply said 'okay okay you got us, heres a new fair rate' they instead let the company flounder because hey, that's paying less!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Outrail posted:

And yet while they could have simply said 'okay okay you got us, heres a new fair rate' they instead let the company flounder because hey, that's paying less!
Yeah, there was a solution and it was absolutely "You're right, everyone's being brought up to the new hire pay + seniority raises on top of that + a big christmas bonus as an apology". Weird that Mr "Hires Wife and SIL as HR" didn't go for that huh.

naem
May 29, 2011

HR is a department you don’t want to cheap out on. The negative view people have of HR is at least half because of employers who don’t get what HR is who hire family instead of motivated professionals.

“I’m don’t want HR telling me what to do I’ll hire my wife” and then the company goes under

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

naem posted:

HR is a department you don’t want to cheap out on. The negative view people have of HR is at least half because of employers who don’t get what HR is who hire family instead of motivated professionals.

The other half DO get what HR is for, which is to shield the company from employee liability.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
HR should be able to figure out in its protecting the company aim that paying current employees below market rate is a leaky can of gas and hiring new employees at market rate is a lit match.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Motronic posted:

The other half DO get what HR is for, which is to shield the company from employee liability.

That is not true

They are also there to make sure the company pays exactly the salaries that will just maintain enough inertia the everyone doesn’t leave for a higher paid job

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Scientastic posted:

That is not true

They are also there to make sure the company pays exactly the salaries that will just maintain enough inertia the everyone doesn’t leave for a higher paidbetter job

Fixed that for you.

For some it’s better paying, or better benefits, for some it’s better work life balance. But you need to be kept just content/busy/scared enough to keep from looking around and seeing that better is possible.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

HR should be able to figure out in its protecting the company aim that paying current employees below market rate is a leaky can of gas and hiring new employees at market rate is a lit match.

My current company (Fortune 500, ~$5bn market cap) does a quarterly “ask the CEO questions on a Zoom call” thing, which to their credit is more actual interaction than any of us got out of the president of my old company, which had 30 employees. 90% of the “questions” are obvious plants (someone with a fake name asking “I love this company, you’re doing a great job!” for example), but some are actually useful information.

This most recent time, a person with absolute balls of steel asked non-anonymously if they could get a raise and be paid what they could get by jumping ship to any other company, or if market-rate salaries were reserved for new hires with zero experience. I have no idea who the person was who asked it, but they are my work hero.

And yes, the answer was basically “money is for external hires, not the likes of you people.” They are truly baffled about why turnover is so high.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
The place was toxic, I could smell the bullshit day 1, but I needed the work at the time... But I was an experienced professional, so I knew what I was worth and they needed to fill the role badly, so I did what I could to make the best of it.

One of the tell tale signs was that all staff that wasn't a director-level employee were all fresh faces right out of school/college. This was their first career-job or first real job, so nearly all of them didn't have any previous experiences to help them understand that HR and the CEO were low-balling them and treat ing them like cattle.

I mentored the folks on my team and helped them where I could, but most of them were definitely too naive or scared of "getting fired" to stand up for themselves.

I literally had to get one guy fired so he could take a better job, later on he called me to say thanks. It was strange for sure, but I knew he wasn't going look out for himself and needed to be shoved out the door.

At another company, I was basically the CEO's assistant to babysit the other employees when he would go away for days or weeks. Anyway, we were hiring for a critical role and a great candidate fell into our lap. Boss asks me to do the salary negotiations. Candidate says he wanted 80k, etc. When boss got back, I said the dude was absolutely perfect and wanted 110k, min (a lie, obv.). Candidate got hired at 110 and was almost in tears and busted rear end for us.

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 18, 2022

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Critical posted:

Two VPs just got in a pissing match on a very important Teams meeting about transitioning to a new ERP system. Got to the point where the presenter was visibly uncomfortable, I eventually jumped in and asked them to take it outside so the people actually implementing this can pay attention.

Have had 12 hours of teams calls this week and these idiots have been on about an hour of them combined, so naturally they're the loving experts who have to interrupt and correct the person who is being paid a lot of money to teach us this poo poo.

Lol dang. Had a Friday online meeting with maybe 20 people and within the first minute someone interrupted the presenter to ask for the PowerPoint. Rather than a quick “yes that can be shared at the end,” presenter exited and began searching for the file for several minutes as the rest of the room stared uncomfortably.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I need a new link to one page of the website. It is the same page, I just need the link changed so when sent there it flags you as being returning when you click the link instead of being new which is what it is doing at the moment.

IT believes this cannot be delivered any earlier than June and, you know, while I know gently caress all about computers I can see in the link they sent me to use has a little blurb of "new=true" so I have a feeling it might not be super hard to fix this but I want some outside opinions before I get too lovely.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Barudak posted:

I need a new link to one page of the website. It is the same page, I just need the link changed so when sent there it flags you as being returning when you click the link instead of being new which is what it is doing at the moment.

IT believes this cannot be delivered any earlier than June and, you know, while I know gently caress all about computers I can see in the link they sent me to use has a little blurb of "new=true" so I have a feeling it might not be super hard to fix this but I want some outside opinions before I get too lovely.

I could probably fix it in 30 mins tops and I learned everything I know about websites from a short stint in marketing (never again).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Barudak posted:

There are many ways to do this. A query string like ?new=true is certainly one way, the backend can detect that query string and do something different. If being new on the page doesn't require any backend interaction -- eg. maybe you just want to show a promotional banner to new users -- this could even be accomplished with a hash (example.com/site#new) and a bit of javascript (if hash=="new", then unhide banner). If you just need to record this in your google analytics then the UTM query strings are exactly for that purpose and GA has segmentation on those built in -- in other words, literally all you'd need to do is slap ?utm_campaign=new_link on your link tag and you're done.

but it's entirely possible that a) they have to change something on the backend and b) they have such horrible processes / code is such a mess that any production change at all takes weeks