Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I spy naked France 👀

I think I'd like to do a naked run next time after seeing Adamitism briefly blossom and them get snuffed out in my game, but I feel like going Adamite is a ticking time bomb that gives you like a hundred years top before literally everyone within your realm, let alone your dynasty, becomes imbecilic and messed up from a family tree that more closely resembles a wreath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

PancakeTransmission posted:

I personally prefer starting from the bottom so I like the 867 start even though it's slower. Starting with partition and a bunch of other techs makes it just a tad easier, especially if you're still Tribal or have Warmonger.

If you're still tribal you can't get partition, and if I want to start from the bottom as tribal I absolutely pick the 1066 start date because I am almost certainly out of the tribal era, techwise, if I started as tribal in 867,

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I always start at 867 cause I want all those hundreds of years to be with my family but at the other hand I usually get bored and give up the game around the late 1200s, when my dynasty is already legendary and I already researched all inovations and theres no challenge anymore in anything either

So maybe next time Ill start at 1066

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

The lack of late state innovations is a little annoying. My last 1066 start, I had every innovation by the late 1300s I think. I went like 80 years with zero new innovations. Innovations seem way too easy as the user if you focus on intelligence for your characters even a little bit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Traxis posted:

Royal Court definitely made disinheriting a lot less punishing. Give your dynasty kingdom titles and then gift them renown court artifacts and you will end up generating a ton of renown.

Yeah and you get insane Renown just for being over your grandeur level.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the court grandeur requirements weren't super low, or grandeur was actually difficult to come by, but right now the court strips a lot of difficulty out of an already easy game.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah and you get insane Renown just for being over your grandeur level.

I guess it wouldn't be so bad if the court grandeur requirements weren't super low, or grandeur was actually difficult to come by, but right now the court strips a lot of difficulty out of an already easy game.

It does punish rapid expansion to an extent. If you gather territory faster than you can enhance your capital you can find yourself without the revenue to maintain you "expected lifestyle". It also sucks that the game doesn't tell you that going past level 2 in Food makes all your courtiers fat and gives them increased chance of Gout.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It's been a perennial problem but I might as well ask about it: I know about the strategy of conquering more land to give out to your children in order to try and make sure your primary heir gets the land you want them to inherit. That said, is there a ratio between duchies and kingdom titles that I should be meeting?

In my case it's this: I have the Kingdom of Frisia, two duchies in my demesne, and three sons. My primary heir is unlanded, my second son has a duchy, my third son has a duchy. The succession ends up as such that my heir gets the kingdom and capital duchy, my second son gets my second duchy, and the third son doesn't get anything since he already has one duchy. I assumed that if I go out and conquer another duchy to give wholesale to my second son, this would count as his fair share and make sure my second duchy goes to my heir; however, this does not happen. I assume this is because a duchy title isn't equivalent to a kingdom title and that I may have to give him two or even three new duchies instead of just one in order to make things work out. Is this correct?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Probably not!
https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Succession

Your player heir is getting your primary (kingdom), your capital, and then everything vertically in between (the duchy). That kingdom title is counting weight against all the duchies he might receive. To get a second duchy plus a single kingdom, that'd be his third title and so everyone else needs to be holding two duchies already.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah, cool, thank you. So this means I need to conquer two duchies but hand one to *both* of my sons and not just the older one, got it. I assumed that the second son gets a bigger share due to seniority, it's what I mistakenly concluded from the third son not getting anything as opposed to splitting the second duchy into two and sharing it with the second son.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
why is everything left up to arbitrary rules instead of letting your player character negotiate between the heirs, they all get claims, and if someone feels slighted they start/join factions or whatever

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm actually using a mod that lets me divide land on death, I just need to know what the basic rules are so I can plan for it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

indigi posted:

why is everything left up to arbitrary rules instead of letting your player character negotiate between the heirs, they all get claims, and if someone feels slighted they start/join factions or whatever

the rules are, afaik, not arbitrary, it's just that the UI for them doesn't explain beyond "you keep this" and "you lose this" for some idiotic reason

i can't imagine that explaining this would encourage more powergaming beyond the current meta of "blob hard conquer garbage and hand it out to your extra sons", "do weird bullshit with elective titles", or "let a grandchild inherit because then their parent's siblings get nothing"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

or "let a grandchild inherit because then their parent's siblings get nothing"

Wait what, I've never seen that happen before, how's that work?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Serephina posted:

Wait what, I've never seen that happen before, how's that work?

In partition the titles get split amongst siblings. If your heir is an only child, they get everything. With the standard male preference, your first born son is your primary heir, with his first born son being next in line if he has an unfortunate accident. If he only had one son, that son gets it all, even if you had 7 other sons.

It doesn't always work for me, but that's the gist of it.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

That's not how it's supposed to work, at least. The trick with grandchildren is that partition stops with your children, so if you have a single heir who had multiple children and died, the realm will not be partitioned among your grandchildren. Maybe things get weird if all your children die?

No Pants fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 19, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Bogislaw ftw

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

No Pants posted:

That's not how it's supposed to work, at least. The trick with grandchildren is that partition stops with your children, so if you have a single heir who had multiple children and died, the realm will not be partitioned among your grandchildren. Maybe things get weird if all your children die?

Maybe that's why it only sometimes works for me?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

indigi posted:

Yeah the game needs this really badly. Would enable some good interactivity between you and your vassals as well; feudal vassals would have a vested interest in seeing that you can't pass all the 'good' land to their future liege and enable him to be a powerful ruler, and they should support giving larger chunks to your other heirs, while you obviously want to do the opposite.

Then all you'd need is to be able to give your vassals actual tasks, and you'd almost kinda sorta have a real feudalism simulator.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

indigi posted:

Arbitrary and obscure rules

I think thats my biggest disappointment with CK3, that they didint made partition more interactive and less obnoxious, basically left it as bad as it was in CK2, while doubling down in the time you are forced to use partition

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

New flavor pack coming May 31st will focus on the Iberian peninsula. Looks like it'll have at least one major new mechanic.

Edit: The steam page has more screenshots.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 19, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Magil Zeal posted:

New flavor pack coming May 31st will focus on the Iberian peninsula. Looks like it'll have at least one major new mechanic.

I was wishing for something to make muslins less boring, but this is fine too

Is one of my favorite places to start

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Currently, I have three Kingdoms. My primary heir, my firstborn grandson from my firstborn, is getting one and all the land in it, my secondborn's firstborn daughter is getting the second kingdom and all the land in it, and my thirdborn son, still alive, is getting the third, so grandsons do not just ignore partition.

Anyway I imagine partition is arbitrary because having to negotiate with your heirs for every single succession would get annoying and almost certainly result in stronger player heirs.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
dealing with vassals is kind of annoying, but the good kind of annoying that makes you think and plan, not the 500 courtier adultery pop ups kind of annoying. the same way they can demand council seats let them be able to demand certain partition options

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

This will also be pretty good:

quote:

Accompanying the second flavor pack is the customary free update, which brings with it a new faction type, the ability to share Heads of Faith between different religions, vassal contracts for clans, and a new starting bookmark centered around notable Iberian characters for the game's 867 start date.

From a link to a preview in the thread to a media source. Being able to share a Head of Faith between different faiths should help weird faiths like Insular and the new Mozarabic faith.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Magil Zeal posted:

From a link to a preview in the thread to a media source. Being able to share a Head of Faith between different faiths should help weird faiths like Insular and the new Mozarabic faith.

Time to install an Adamite pope

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Magil Zeal posted:

That'll also be nice for the Beyond the End mod, whenever the CK3 version comes out. They already hacked together something to let the Americanist sects share the President as their religious head, but having a hard coded fix should be less janky.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Is there a third paradox studio location that might indicate the next flavor pack theme or what

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Bring back the China DLC, I wanna kowtow and get dope commanders

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

^^^ Literally the worst idea

Mister Olympus posted:

Is there a third paradox studio location that might indicate the next flavor pack theme or what

:lol:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

It coming out so soon is nice. This is the last free dlc for those that bought the expensive version right?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

SlothBear posted:

It coming out so soon is nice. This is the last free dlc for those that bought the expensive version right?

Yeah it's neat that its coming soon. When I first played CK3 at launch last year I was playing on Xbox Gamepass, and when I switched to Steam I lost my first Al-Andalus cheevos. This will be a great opportunity to play a few games in Iberia and collect a few more.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh, I'm surprised religious peace of some sort if an option.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Maybe it's geared more for an empire that manages to unite Iberia or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SlothBear posted:

This is the last free dlc for those that bought the expensive version right?

Yes

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Magil Zeal posted:

Edit: The steam page has more screenshots.

Wow and I've never actually played in spain too!

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

I don't understand Paradox's attachment to making achievements locked to Ironman mode.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Omnicarus posted:

I don't understand Paradox's attachment to making achievements locked to Ironman mode.

I just wish there was a way to convert an Ironman game to normal - sometimes I'm done with that character because I got the specific achievement or whatever, and I'd like to switch characters. Maybe I should just get into a GHW and switch then...

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Looks like a fun little flavor pack, hopefully it has some things that can apply outside of the region, like the Norse one. Not sure if it's possible, but it would also be nice if an outside realm can move in to the peninsula, and participate in the struggle as well.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Omnicarus posted:

Otherwise you could just mod yourself to godhood.

Of course you could just use a mod to unlock the achievements but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

binge crotching posted:

Looks like a fun little flavor pack, hopefully it has some things that can apply outside of the region, like the Norse one. Not sure if it's possible, but it would also be nice if an outside realm can move in to the peninsula, and participate in the struggle as well.

From what we've seen if you have a title in the area you should be able to at least be an "interloper" if I'm getting it right.

And the mechanic seems really fun, the sort of thing that could be easily modified to apply to other melting pot / high pressure areas.