Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ynglaur posted:

I wonder if we have aircraft mechanics in country.

I think the Ukrainians are pretty good at maintaining their own aircraft, so I would doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

gay picnic defence posted:

Why do they even announce this stuff? Is it just a “gently caress you, we’ll do whatever we want to” to Russia? Moral support for Ukrainians? Encouraging others to give more stuff to Ukraine. Seems like a good way to get Russia looking harder for Ukrainian airbases to blow up.

Could be all of those things.

It is a war, so anything announced is either true*, a lie** for internal consumption or a lie** for external consumption.

*is it?!?

e: ** is it???

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Why do they even announce this stuff? Is it just a “gently caress you, we’ll do whatever we want to” to Russia? Moral support for Ukrainians? Encouraging others to give more stuff to Ukraine. Seems like a good way to get Russia looking harder for Ukrainian airbases to blow up.

I mean I don't get the feeling that Russia was refraining from attacking Ukrainian airbases because they hadn't received foreign planes yet.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

crying as I will never go to the mariupol underground bar and cafe

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Deteriorata posted:

I think the Ukrainians are pretty good at maintaining their own aircraft, so I would doubt it.

Ya, a lot of help for the Ukrainian Air Force would be in trucks full of tools, spares, fuel, oil, consumables, etc at the Polish border, with the keys in the ignition, full fuel tanks, and guarded by guys with orders to look the other way. Lots of NATO countries that probably have/had stocks of relevant parts laying around that have made their way to Ukraine recently. Probably more meaningful help than the extra jets that grab headlines, honestly. Keeping airplanes flying takes a LOT of stuff.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

FishBulbia posted:

Osama Bin Laden's mountain lair?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

FishBulbia posted:

My favorite part of this is it's just a bunker so to make it seem evil they had to include a bio weapons lab.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

There's value in brazenly telling Russia " gently caress you, we do what we want." This war happened in part because Putin believed the west would just roll over and take it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

spacetoaster posted:

The divisive reboot

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

That's my X-com base.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

If that were truly a Ukrainian bunker, the largest room would be the rec room. In fact it would all be a rec room except for the mess hall, which would be a food rec room, and the dorms, which would also be a rec room.

Russians utterly fail to understand Ukrainians.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

And the Javelin in the first video bounces off because the target was too close. The Javelin needs a minimum of 25 meters to arm.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

And the Javelin in the first video bounces off because the target was too close. The Javelin needs a minimum of 25 meters to arm.

We've seen this one before. There's a nasty fire coming from underneath the turret in the last few frames. If the people inside aren't dead, they're having a really bad day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KillHour posted:

We've seen this one before. There's a nasty fire coming from underneath the turret in the last few frames. If the people inside aren't dead, they're having a really bad day.

They’re in a Russian tank. That’s a bad day even if you’re not getting shot at or on fire.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

For the western (US) viewers. Its a careful balance of ”ukraine is in danger, our help there is somethibg that matters” and ”no they Arent collapsing, this isnt Afganistan august 2021”

Most people here are committed. But there are a lot of people who want to feel like their taxpayer contribution is not wasted and is the most-important-thing-in-winning-russia.

So there needs to be Good news(tm) to keep that interest up.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

KillHour posted:

Yeah the searing piece of metal is going to gently caress the tank up and make it very hot inside the tank. They probably tried to get closer to their lines or other units in the tank before bailing out as they'd immediately get shot from the same people that just hit then with an ATGM.

Bad shot though. Treads would have been a better choice. Or the middle point between body and turret as most optimal poo poo location. Probably a TDF guy with little experience.

Is it red alert 2 or 3 where you could have a giant infantry Aa/AT army and clobber almost anything with impunity l

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 20, 2022

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Yeah the searing piece of metal is going to gently caress the tank up and make it very hot inside the tank. They probably tried to get closer to their lines or other units in the tank before bailing out as they'd immediately get shot from the same people that just hit then with an ATGM.

Bad shot though. Treads would have been a better choice.

Pretty sure that T-72s basically light up like a candle if anything hot gets in due to the two part shells?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Shifty Pony posted:

the missile didn't damage the tank in the original either

The reason isn't because the T-72 is a badass tank, it is because the soldier launched the missile too close and the safety system hadn't yet armed the warhead. That's done to prevent the warhead blast from killing the launcher.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

No hex key in the package. Impossible to assemble.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i'm sure domestic public perception plays a role. being able to point at specifics of what you're doing to solve something generally plays better than saying that you're doing things, but you can't talk about it

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

bad_fmr posted:

No hex key in the package. Impossible to assemble.

There are two very clearly labeled Philips screwdrivers in there. E: the non-copyright infringing handle is a pain to use though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

There are two very clearly labeled Philips screwdrivers in there. E: the non-copyright infringing handle is a pain to use though.

Yeah, you have to wind it from the side.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

FishBulbia posted:

I don't know why it reminds me so much of this:

But, yeah, somebody will have to build that bar when this poo poo is all over.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FishBulbia posted:

Welcome back, Commander. Please report to the research labs, then talk to chief engineer Lily Shen.

The ship is yours, Commander.

e; gently caress it

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 20, 2022

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Different graphic, but similar idea:

Booty Pageant posted:

i just added a little something

mmkay fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Apr 20, 2022

Horsebanger
Jun 25, 2009

Steering wheel! Hey! Steering wheel! Someone tell him to give it to me!

Gervasius posted:

Welcome back, Commander. Please report to the research labs, then talk to chief engineer Lily Shen.

The ship is yours, Commander.

e; gently caress it

gonna be wild when Ukraine finally gets plasma rifles.

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

mrfart posted:

Wow. That takes me back. What was that game called?

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Horsebanger posted:

gonna be wild when Ukraine finally gets plasma rifles.

Switchblades are pretty much blaster launchers when you think about it

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Natty Ninefingers posted:

Wow. That takes me back. What was that game called?

Crusader: No Remorse

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Deteriorata posted:

I've enjoyed seeing the hours scrolling back on these posts, as we're nearing summer. :ukraine:

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Someone needs to re-do the trailer for X-Com 2 as Russia vs Ukraine.

You could get that guy from Honest Trailers to do the voice over.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

mrfart posted:

God, Crusader was such a blast..

..aand now I'm stuck listening to the soundtrack. Again.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Deteriorata posted:

My fried dopamine and adrenaline receptors aren't activated by this anymore. Every morning I get my hit by checking if Azovstal is still Ukrainian (today -- yes)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/iaponomarenko/status/1516668142856159232

https://twitter.com/rprose/status/1516646471642365957

https://twitter.com/osinttechnical/status/1516629111145381889
Nice Garmin unit there, pal.

https://twitter.com/kofmanmichael/status/1516597512697692165

https://twitter.com/ralee85/status/1516515190291976207

https://twitter.com/kevinrothrock/status/1516574374886887424
Long time no see.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Deteriorata posted:

They've been forced to abandon a lot of their airfields. It would not be surprising if critical tools, parts, or supplies were missing or in low availability. mechanics too for that matter

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Poor fuckers. I'm sure Russia and their tankie supporters must be super proud they've created the conditions for Azov nazis becoming immortalized in Ukrainian folklore.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Poor fuckers. I'm sure Russia and their tankie supporters must be super proud they've created the conditions for Azov nazis becoming immortalized in Ukrainian folklore.

This is 36th marine brigade, not Azov. Azov is 100% getting martyred though, I’m just clarifying.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i have been seeing pictures pop of up dead libyan mercs and stuff. i guess russia is just using mercs as canon fodder now.

i wouldnt be shocked if they are still probing OR they are doing the trickle down waves poo poo like they did before.

Trickle down warconomics

just as effective

my son's name is also-

Risky Bisquick posted:

Are they ‘lower receivering’ aircraft :v:

"you can 3D print a jet, the Russian govt can't stop you"

*jet catches fire*

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013