Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I paid 300 for a used steelcase leap about 3 years ago. It was made a decade before that. I also picked up a Herman Miller aeron that was abandoned on the street 2 years ago, but that's just because my parents live in a very bougie neighborhood.

I've been wfh since long before COVID, and those chairs are nearly as essential as my work laptop. COVID caused prices to go way up for used chairs, but I would still pay those prices than use some other office chair every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I paid $200 for a Steelcase Amia off Craigslist. There weren’t any Leaps available within a 2 hour drive

Great chair

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
find an extremely lightly used herman miller on offerup or craigslist or something. you know, one thats sat in some spare lawfirm office room got sat in 6 times in 2 years.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I saw these for sale after I missed out on the annual "Chocolates of the world" they usually have during Christmas (they were out of stock by Thanksgiving in my area, instead of normally lasting past the new year). These are very good and have a great selection of dark chocolate in them for $13. I ate too many and now I feel like poo poo, going to foist the rest on my neighbors/coworkers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Synesthesian Fetish posted:

Do you mind me asking you all how much you paid and whether it was new or not?

New they retail for $1000 or more

Usually you get them for half price from a office supply liquidator.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

I ponied up the cool $1000 bucks for mine brand new direct from Steelcase. Business right off, still have it in daily use a decade later, worth it, etc. I went lazy and paid the price willingly. Most of the time you get them used. 4~ years later my wife got the same chair, brand new as well, for her business. We absolutely have zero regrets, zero aches or pains even after sitting in it for 8 hours all day. Don't cheap out on your chair, your body is worth way more than a thousand bucks.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm sitting a Steelcase Series 1 that cost 430 new iirc and I've had it for about a year and it's pretty great. Sturdy without looking big and clunky. Comfortable.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I got a steelcase leap for $15 at the thrift shop.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Guys I know that a fancier chair will improve my shitposting quality significantly but I'm interested to know if Costco can offer a successor to the original $30 goonthrone.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I'm sorry Dracula but you gotta pay for quality.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Alucard posted:

Guys I know that a fancier chair will improve my shitposting quality significantly but I'm interested to know if Costco can offer a successor to the original $30 goonthrone.

They also have bidets

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

when my bank did a refresh as they are to do every few years i just took a chair home :smug:

i know its a good one because its heavy as all gently caress and adjustable in every way

and i do like that its got like, uhhh our old corporate color scheme which is a slightly different color than the ones they have in the offices now

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
What the gently caress people, I paid :10bux: at Goodwill for mine and it's serving my fat goony rear end just fine :stare:

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

I used a series of Costco office chairs for years and I finally paid $900 for a new Embody of questionable provenance from a reseller last year. I consider this completely worth it and one of my best uses of money in my life, more valuable than paying for healthcare or feeding my children.

If I was on more of a budget I would likely consider a used Steelcase Leap V2, as I saw excellent examples of these in the $300-400 range, but this was a year ago. Not a fan of the Aeron myself but it has a much larger secondary market (with many questionable examples out there as well).

Hawkline fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 20, 2022

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I've bought two Hermon Miller Aeon's used, one for my home and one for work, and they both have been great. I'm dummy thicc, so it's one of the only chairs that fits my frame, and even then it takes a bit of adjusting but my back doesn't hurt anymore after I work for a while.

There are decent resellers on craigslist and used office furniture stores. Worth looking into.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Crusty Nutsack posted:

just saw that Mateo's salsa is $1.50 off rn so gonna get like 4 jars tonight :smuggo:

you should all get it because it's good unlike practically every other jarred salsa

trip report: got 6 salsas, some other stuff, and our first whole pep pizza for dinner :haibrow:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
One of the things people talk about most when buying these chairs is once adjusted literally all your back pain goes away.

You'd be amazed how many low level aches and annoyances are suddenly no longer in your life after sitting in a proper chair when stuck at a computer for several hours.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I bought a used and reupholstered Leap V2 7 years ago and it’s still going strong. I assume this thing will last longer than me.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

D34THROW posted:

What the gently caress people, I paid :10bux: at Goodwill for mine and it's serving my fat goony rear end just fine :stare:

There is a reason so many people pop out and go "dude don't skimp on an office chair" and it isn't because we all met before hand it whatever, it's because it's that big of a deal.

You think you are fine with your 10 chair (unless it's a secret high end one you got, it is possible) but lovely chairs are lovely and they manifest in all sorts of aches, pains, uncomfortable soreness, all sorts of poo poo. Ergonomics is real and your friend.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Can confirm: got an Embody a few years back for $500 and it’s the best thing I’ve sat on outside of my bidet

Seriously on the latter tho: you don’t clean your dishes with dry paper towels so do yourself a favor and get a bidet, especially if you’re constantly downing hatch sauce and stuff. Seat heater is also absolutely ace

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

KakerMix posted:

There is a reason so many people pop out and go "dude don't skimp on an office chair" and it isn't because we all met before hand it whatever, it's because it's that big of a deal.

You think you are fine with your 10 chair (unless it's a secret high end one you got, it is possible) but lovely chairs are lovely and they manifest in all sorts of aches, pains, uncomfortable soreness, all sorts of poo poo. Ergonomics is real and your friend.

This is why just working at a desk with a laptop (or god forbid the couch) is really, really bad for you. Proper desk with a proper keyboard and height for viewing super, super important.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Immersion blending update:

It looks like the Costco Vitamix blender works with the OEM accessories per Vitamix customer support:

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/shop/immersion-blending

It’s a big bonus imo

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Knot My President! posted:

Can confirm: got an Embody a few years back for $500 and it’s the best thing I’ve sat on outside of my bidet

Well gently caress, my bidet changed my life and this post is really making me want to upgrade my home office chair now, thanks! :mad:

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Johnny Truant posted:

Well gently caress, my bidet changed my life and this post is really making me want to upgrade my home office chair now, thanks! :mad:

My Embody chair is a glorious thing. That said, you should try and find a retailer where you can try out the offerings from Steelcase and Herman Miller. Not everyone is a fan of the Embody.

Also we have a chair thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
So anyways general thread consensus is don't buy an office chair at Costco

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

thawing a massive costco steak im gonna have for din dins :yum:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

.Z. posted:

My Embody chair is a glorious thing. That said, you should try and find a retailer where you can try out the offerings from Steelcase and Herman Miller. Not everyone is a fan of the Embody.

Also we have a chair thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383243

tight, thanks. my current office chair is honestly pretty good, just bought an adjustable footrest kinda thing which i think should do wonders for my posture and back, but i am gonna keep an eye out locally for used stuff. can't hurt right

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anyone know of a good place in LA for one of these cheap used chairs?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Humans didn’t evolve alongside $1200 Steelcase office chairs. The most ergonomic chair for the human body is a tree stump.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Evolution isn't real

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

bird with big dick posted:

Humans didn’t evolve alongside $1200 Steelcase office chairs. The most ergonomic chair for the human body is a tree stump.

I bet you could come up with a name like 'keto' but for ergonomics and make bank actually. Sell repurposed stumps with that angle.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

bird with big dick posted:

Mr. Fancy over here with his tree stump. Give me a rock or boulder like god intended.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

KakerMix posted:

I bet you could come up with a name like 'keto' but for ergonomics and make bank actually. Sell repurposed stumps with that angle.

I just wanted to get some feedback from you guys on my sitting. For the past week or two my posture has consisted of three hours sitting on the stump, and then standing on two cut logs for one hour on each, all from the same tree. Should I be switching between logs and the stump or is it alright to just sit straight through the sessions with each? It makes my posture feel so much better.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

KakerMix posted:

A Chairopractor

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Chair 2.0

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Primal beast chair (for real men)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

AKZ posted:

Primal beast chair (for real men)

Don't forget the ladies version which is pink, 10% smaller, but 20% more expensive

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I sit in a throne fashioned from the ribs of my enemies

The thin mint almonds go in the skulls

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Imagine sitting on a chair instead of a throne made of rotisserie chicken packaging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
my wife and i both have steelcase gestures for wfh and i highly recommend them