Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Kraftwerk posted:

China is a patient country and they don't view things in 4-5 year time frame or even decades, they're playing a long game and biding their time while we're out here loving ourselves over feeding them cash and technology.
This "long perspective" cliche is, in my opinion, just pseudo-Orientalist clap trap. They are impatient as poo poo. They stole tech because they were impatient, not patient. They cannot wait. Their current wolf diplomacy certainly doesn't speak of patience. And they are impatient to take their place on the world stage as befits them, as they deserve, as their ethno-nationalist Han sentiment believes is theirs by destiny.

I worked there in the mid-80's. I agree they have accomplished much. When I was there the few Chinese with cars drove with the lights off at night, to save the battery. They'd flash it on just to get a brief road picture, and they'd go dark again. Once, I had to emergency deliver some drawings to the closest rail station, at night, with a driver hauling rear end blinking his lights on and off, intermittently. It was harrowing. Yeah, they've come far. But the economic inequality there is still as wide as Russia's.

On the contrary, I think they are running out of patience. They want it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
https://mobile.twitter.com/FedorovMykhailo/status/1516871864546701315

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

KillHour posted:

My favorite part of this is it's just a bunker so to make it seem evil they had to include a bio weapons lab.
Look, if you think there’s something more urgent than bio weapons research that we could be doing in our frontline survival bunker then say what it is. Honestly I’ve already put up with months of your “tinned food would be more space efficient than a hydroponic farm” bullshit.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

the ravens are a nice touch lest it seem too much like just a joke

You go to war with the amphetamine-addict army you have, not the amphetamine addict army you want

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
Do the howitzers being provided by the US have any advantage other than potentially being guided? Basically I'm asking if they have a range advantage that could potentially dislodge troops that can't reasonably fire back.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Everyones playing 5d chess untill they get punched in the mouth

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Bashez posted:

Do the howitzers being provided by the US have any advantage other than potentially being guided? Basically I'm asking if they have a range advantage that could potentially dislodge troops that can't reasonably fire back.

As far as I can tell, their main advantage is that they're available. They use NATO-standard ammo of many different varieties.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Something I think is great is all this poo poo talking used to be bunkered inside of smoke-filled backrooms. Now it's in public on Twitter. Governments and political figures can literally talk poo poo online. This is a new new era of psychological warfare out in public.

I mean how have our collective brains not exploded over this? I mean my head explodes when someone on SA makes a post that is brigades as being bad. Then a loving political figure makes the almost same goddamn point on Twitter.

I don't exactly know what the hell happened, and I'm not going to go too far into this but I know when I left high School videogames were still NERDS. Then get out of the military 3 years later and I'm like wow the loving world became taken over by Internet culture and I'm once again the weirdo for burning all that out of my brain. It still astounds me that we live in an era of the this level of political interaction being visible.

--

It looks like the Russian offensive so far is a complete wash. It's utterly not going well. They're not taking territory at any drastic rate, and they're being repelled all over the loving place. Remember they have to push into the ukrainians as the ukrainians aren't going to just walk straight forward and will maintain their lines as they've done before.

Russian combat power will effectively be drained over the next week. Let's not talk food or equipment. Combat is loving rough on your body even at peak supply and equipment. Keeping the high operational tempo needed for a ground breaking offensive is tough with underwhelming force. I mean the Russians are not just facing some small band of infantrymen. They're facing a regular fighting force with artillery support and superior tactical support. You need a lot a lot a lot of guys pumped and ready to gently caress poo poo up (for lack of an appropriate academic term)

So what happens then?

For anyone keeping an eye on things deeply, there was a day in March that Ukraine ordered an attack on all fronts simultaneously. That thwarted a planned offensive for like a week. Then the supply's nosedived after successful ukrainian supply interdictions.

This will probably once again occur to test the Russian response. If it's weak it's game time on stacking the weakest looking fronts with troops. Salients in two to three locations will be the end of the war.

Jingoism aside, god has blessed the ukrianian with victory over the Nazi menace. The decisive victory has already come.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Despera posted:

Everyones playing 5d chess untill they get punched in the mouth

:discourse: Avatar/Post combo

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Bashez posted:

A howitzer on its own - just the gun itself - is an extremely uninteresting piece of equipment. Sure, it's a pretty neat mechanical contraption, but it's been sort of a commodity thing for decades at this point. They all work the same and have pretty similar performance. All the stuff that makes it a more effective weapon system is in the ammunition and in the ballistics computers. A base bleed round can give you something like 25-30% more range with any gun, for example, and the big challenge with any howitzer system is getting fast reaction time (e.g. deploying the thing, preparing it for firing, precisely determining its position and setting up a fire mission).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Deteriorata posted:

As far as I can tell, their main advantage is that they're available. They use NATO-standard ammo of many different varieties.

The guided ammunition has a longer effective range due to the fact that they use little wings for guidance, but the guidance part is a lot more valuable than the range part. I presume that the US is giving Ukraine Excalibur shells as they are pretty cheap and well proven.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
^^^ the US also has 155mm laser guided shells, and GPS guided fuses that can screw into any NATO standard 155mm shell.

TheFluff posted:

A howitzer on its own - just the gun itself - is an extremely uninteresting piece of equipment. Sure, it's a pretty neat mechanical contraption, but it's been sort of a commodity thing for decades at this point. They all work the same and have pretty similar performance. All the stuff that makes it a more effective weapon system is in the ammunition and in the ballistics computers. A base bleed round can give you something like 25-30% more range with any gun, for example, and the big challenge with any howitzer system is getting fast reaction time (e.g. deploying the thing, preparing it for firing, precisely determining its position and setting up a fire mission).

Yeah SPGs would give Ukraine much better capability although anything that can yeet 20kg of high explosives 20-30km is useful to some extent. Packing up in a hurry is just as important because assuming Russia has a competent (yeah, I know) counter battery capability you really want to be firing off a quick burst before getting the gently caress out of there before any counter battery radars pinpoint your location and call in some return fire.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Apropos of nothing I'm just constantly thinking of the fact that we're nearly two months into this war and Russia still has somehow failed to gain air superiority. The Ukrainians are still getting planes into the air for honest-to-god jet fighter dogfights in the Year of Our Lord 2022, and flying helicopters over into Russia to blow poo poo up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm very interested in the latter as I was under the impression that you need like... some kind of object to change the shell's trajectory.

I think the advantage of non-SP guns is that you can make them mobile with myriad other means, and they don't really break as much. A tracked vehicle will break and require more complex maintenance and more training for the crew.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

At this point we can look to lend lease level support occuring. I mean there's what 6 million ukrainians who aren't in the country anymore? We could have an all women's artillery regiment being trained up as we speak. Or other units being trained safely outside the country.

Hopefully they have dashing power hats

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm very interested in the latter as I was under the impression that you need like... some kind of object to change the shell's trajectory.

The GPS guided fuses have little fins in them that steer the shell.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1156_Precision_Guidance_Kit

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Partisans :hmmyes:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Biz_Ukraine_Mag/status/1516861226776764417

More on the massive amount of drones
https://mobile.twitter.com/sinicyn_roma/status/1516872179568238597

Kyiv city council member tweeted about needing some Red Bull the day before, they delivered
https://mobile.twitter.com/Mykhailova_A/status/1516508238556061703
https://mobile.twitter.com/Mykhailova_A/status/1516879386959618050

Ok one more, good satire. Apple deals a heavy blow to Kadryov, bans Russians from downloading TikTok on AppStore
https://twitter.com/sternenko/status/1516674881324306433

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 21, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bashez posted:

No, Russians have the longest range self-propelled artillery. American howitzers could have some other non-munition advantages though, like time to shot fired from moving at full speed. Also I guess it’s nice to just have infinite ammunition, since you have dozens of NATO members around with warehouses of the right shells.

Wouldn’t be surprised to hear that we’re being rather generous with the fancy shells too though. A major pain in the rear end for Ukraine is their counter-artillery capacity - Bayraktars are overkill for that, and their domestic guided shell exists in unknown quantity and quality.

DandyLion posted:

:discourse: Avatar/Post combo

I’m still laughing about

MassiveSky posted:

Water isn't wet

wet_goods posted:

As the authority on wet items water is wet

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Are the Bayraktars still getting plenty of use or have the Russians shot most of them down now? There was a ton of footage of them wrecking poo poo in the first few weeks of the war but it seems to have fallen away of late.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

cinci zoo sniper posted:

No, Russians have the longest range self-propelled artillery. American howitzers could have some other non-munition advantages though, like time to shot fired from moving at full speed. Also I guess it’s nice to just have infinite ammunition, since you have dozens of NATO members around with warehouses of the right shells.

Wouldn’t be surprised to hear that we’re being rather generous with the fancy shells too though. A major pain in the rear end for Ukraine is their counter-artillery capacity - Bayraktars are overkill for that, and their domestic guided shell exists in unknown quantity and quality.

I’m still laughing about

We saw a big shipment of counter battery radars sent to the Front earlier in April. I said this was pretty important for the reason you outlined. Combining that with larger batteries and you get a great counter battery corps.

--

Pro-Russian blogger Valery Kuleshov was shot and killed in Kherson

Partisans?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 21, 2022

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/gypsynkov/status/1516720800115609601

Another one for people who grew up on Russian TV.

gay picnic defence posted:

Are the Bayraktars still getting plenty of use or have the Russians shot most of them down now? There was a ton of footage of them wrecking poo poo in the first few weeks of the war but it seems to have fallen away of late.

Russians have so far shot approximately 216% of Ukraine’s TB2 fleet, according to their official numbers.

The footage has died down though, but it’s difficult to tell if that’s because they have been destroyed, or simply because there are much fewer targets comically out of position now. With regrouping, and LDNR frontline likely bristling with both AA stuff and Russian combat aviation, TB2s may also be biding their time. Fighting is likely to kick into high gear in the coming fortnight, so TB2 footage should be something to look out for.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Russia shot down most of the bayraktars afaik. Ukraine received subsequent shipments of them, but they don't seem especially difficult to shoot down when used in contested airspace... which is an entirely known limitation of the tb2 (and also why they're hilariously overhyped).

They probably still have some, but if they had a bunch of them and were using them to great effect, we'd be hearing about it.

That said, if the moskva indeed tunnel visioned so hard on a single tb2 that they got themselves sunk, they're clearly a very high priority target lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Pro-Russian blogger Valery Kuleshov was shot and killed in Kherson

Partisans?

Yeah, got summarily executed in his car in the morning.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Russia shot down most of the bayraktars afaik. Ukraine received subsequent shipments of them, but they don't seem especially difficult to shoot down when used in contested airspace... which is an entirely known limitation of the tb2 (and also why they're hilariously overhyped).

They probably still have some, but if they had a bunch of them and were using them to great effect, we'd be hearing about it.

That said, if the moskva indeed tunnel visioned so hard on a single tb2 that they got themselves sunk, they're clearly a very high priority target lol

They’re not that easy to shoot down either, since most AA systems won’t pick them up at all apparently - so I’m curious what you base on the knowledge that most of them have been shot down.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, got summarily executed in his car in the morning.

They’re not that easy to shoot down either, since most AA systems won’t pick them up at all apparently - so I’m curious what you base on the knowledge that most of them have been shot down.

why wouldn't aa radar systems pick them up at all? Even beyond that, why else would you postulate that they aren't seeing heavy use

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

why wouldn't aa radar systems pick them up at all? Even beyond that, why else would you postulate that they aren't seeing heavy use

They’re definitely harder to detect, they’re physically smaller and have less radar reflective metal in the construction. They also have a reduced heat signature because they’re propeller driven. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible to shoot them down though.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Also iirc uaf said they lost most of them in the first couple weeks, then Turkey delivered several more, but other than one shootdown recently and ofc the Moskva debacle they haven't been publicly turning up much on either end of the destroyed equipment reports

They’re definitely harder to detect, they’re physically smaller and have less radar reflective metal in the construction. They also have a reduced heat signature because they’re propeller driven. That doesn’t mean it’s impossible to shoot them down though.

Hard to detect isn't even in the same ballpark as 'wont pick them up at all' with radar/aa systems tho. Plus several have been demonstrably shot down (out of the small handful ukraine had at the start of the conflict, which was barely into double digits) so clearly they are not impervious to being targeted

TB2s were extremely effective in the nagorno karabakh conflict specifically because the Armenians lacked any significant way to contest them, not because tb2s are some uniquely revolutionary small drone with a video camera and a couple of small missiles. Combat drones remain very effective if you can't contest them and somewhere between marginally useful and expensive fireworks if you can contest them. The drones being used currently to direct Ukranian artillery and surveil russian movements are the current MVPs of the conflict as far as anyone can tell.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 21, 2022

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

Deteriorata posted:

Thank you for still doing this.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

also iirc uaf said they lost most of them in the first couple weeks, then Turkey delivered several more, but other than one shootdown recently and ofc the Moskva debacle they haven't been publicly turning up much on either end of the destroyed equipment reports

hard to detect isn't even in the same ballpark as 'wont pick them up at all' with radar/aa systems tho. Plus several have been demonstrably shot down (out of the small handful ukraine had at the start of the conflict, which was barely into double digits) so clearly they are not impervious to being targeted

tb2s were extremely effective in the nagorno karabakh conflict specifically because the Armenians lacked any significant way to contest them, not because tb2s are some uniquely revolutionary small drone with a video camera and a couple of small missiles.

No, which is why it’s entirely possible they’ve mostly been shot down. The argument against that is the lack of evidence of wreckage given most would be shot down in Russian controlled territory and the obvious incentive Russia has to promote any losses they are inflicting on Ukraine.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Make sure the warehouse owners who tried to give equipment to Nazi occupiers have tight nooses.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Might have run out of missile ammo for the bayraktars.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

No, which is why it’s entirely possible they’ve mostly been shot down. The argument against that is the lack of evidence of wreckage given most would be shot down in Russian controlled territory and the obvious incentive Russia has to promote any losses they are inflicting on Ukraine.

There're pictures of at least three TB2 wrecks and idk that they'd all be obviously in Russian controlled territory to the extent that people are comfortable just hopping in cars and driving off a couple of miles to try to find a small drone wreck. Ukraine only had "between 5 and 20 TB2s" at the start of the conflict (according to https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/11/us/politics/ukraine-military-drones-russia.html so clearly a significant amount of their TB2s have been destroyed

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Might have run out of missile ammo for the bayraktars.

yeah that's possible, though I think there's a simpler explanation

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 21, 2022

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

yeah that's possible, though I think there's a simpler explanation
Some NATO countries may be less enthusiastic about the potential issues of near daily advertisements regarding how their armaments are used. In some country's place, I might be.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Deteriorata posted:

Slava Ukraini! :ukraine:

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Spike ER was more the MVP in Nagorno Karabakh anyway, right?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

the popes toes posted:

Some NATO countries may be less enthusiastic about the potential issues of near daily advertisements regarding how their armaments are used. In some country's place, I might be.

Counterpoint: gently caress Russia

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It's time to steal Vladimir Lenins body and re bury it in Lviv.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ynglaur posted:

I wasn't familiar with this and just read the Wikipedia article on it. Why on earth hasn't the US just bought this thing rather than going through upgrade after upgrade to the Paladin? :stare: Crusader would have been great, but the US Army pissed itself for about 20 years starting in the mid-90s when it came to procuring anything. (They did manage to get rifle optics and body armor out, I suppose). The Pzh2000 looks great.

The other main one going around is the South Korean K9/K9A1 Thunder and K10 ARV, variants of which are in use (or on order) by South Korea, Turkey, Poland, India, Estonia, Finland, Norway, Australia, and Egypt

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

the popes toes posted:

Maybe? but Turkey has never cared about that all that much and killing russian vehicles well is the entirety of the TB2's impressive online marketing campaign.

If they are in fact worried about that, lol that Ukraine just came out and said they used a TB2 in the sinking of the moskva

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
What AA weaponry is ideal to shoot down bayraktars or even smaller commercial drones for scouting? Presumably missiles would be a waste as they cost more than the drone.