Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Taika also used it on Our Flag Means Death for the boat scenes and it worked pretty well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

muscles like this! posted:

Taika also used it on Our Flag Means Death for the boat scenes and it worked pretty well.

As someone who hasn't seen the series, "the boat scene" is a funny thing to say about a pirate show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

LesterGroans posted:

As someone who hasn't seen the series, "the boat scene" is a funny thing to say about a pirate show.

To be fair, they said "boat scenes", plural. I'm sure there are interior cabin scenes and island scenes, too.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Did he use it for the whole show or just a few scenes/episodes?

I ask because I remember thinking the boat scenes looked like crap in the first couple episodes, and then I stopped noticing/caring. Not sure if I stopped noticing because they got better, or because I subconsciously decided to accept it and not pay attention to it anymore.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Not exactly a trailer but man this looks so loving good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM389FbhlRQ

I just went from six to midnight.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/PixarsLightyear/status/1517141110568587272?s=20&t=dQwSPr8bdqhaZJKRs8Xmrg

I'm still confused by whatever they're going for here.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Isn't it a movie within the Toy Story world? Like, the toy is based off this movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Vintersorg posted:

Isn't it a movie within the Toy Story world? Like, the toy is based off this movie.

That isn't really clear. It's supposedly the "origin story for the original Buzz Lightyear, the character who inspired the toy line". I guess what you're saying makes some sense, but in Toy Story we've seen Buzz Lightyear movies (or were they just video games?), and they're kiddy movies, not anything like this. Like Saturday morning cartoon stuff. But I guess it could be that the property became more kiddy stuff as it went on.

I thought the idea was that this was the story of the REAL Buzz Lightyear, but that doesn't work for any number of reasons.

And yes, I know I'm thinking too hard about this. Just fascinating to me.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Vintersorg posted:

I think that was the original idea but I don't know if they've officially revealed anything specific like that yet. It's just 'the origin story of the character who inspired the toy.'

The major vibe I get is that it could be any sci-fi adventure spec script with Buzz slapped on to make it sell in today's franchise culture. In this case I realize it probably is an original story created specifically for this movie but it feels super generic apart from the quick shot of Zurg. I guess that genericness is sort of a part of Buzz's thing as a space-age pastiche but I wish it had more character.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
buzz is gonna arrive home on earth to some planet of the apes type of ending

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

thrawn527 posted:

That isn't really clear. It's supposedly the "origin story for the original Buzz Lightyear, the character who inspired the toy line". I guess what you're saying makes some sense, but in Toy Story we've seen Buzz Lightyear movies (or were they just video games?), and they're kiddy movies, not anything like this. Like Saturday morning cartoon stuff. But I guess it could be that the property became more kiddy stuff as it went on.

I thought the idea was that this was the story of the REAL Buzz Lightyear, but that doesn't work for any number of reasons.

And yes, I know I'm thinking too hard about this. Just fascinating to me.

the high budget remake of the cheap 80s tie in cartoon that the action figure character in the real life cartoon was based on.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

thrawn527 posted:

For the sake of argument, forget that Buzz Lightyear is an established franchise in actual real life.

Now! Imagine if Buzz Lightyear was an established franchise in real life! This movie would be just a new take on that franchise.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

DeimosRising posted:

the high budget remake of the cheap 80s tie in cartoon that the action figure character in the real life cartoon was based on.

Schwarzwald posted:

For the sake of argument, forget that Buzz Lightyear is an established franchise in actual real life.

Now! Imagine if Buzz Lightyear was an established franchise in real life! This movie would be just a new take on that franchise.

These both make a lot of sense.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Or it’s this is the original movie which later got a corny Saturday morning cartoon spin-off to sell toys, just like happens with many big franchises in real life. Star Wars had the cheap Droids show, Ghostbusters had several cartoons, etc.

In the end it’s only Lightyear for the sake of making this sci-fi script more marketable, but the in universe logic does make sense.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Ror posted:

The major vibe I get is that it could be any sci-fi adventure spec script with Buzz slapped on to make it sell in today's franchise culture. In this case I realize it probably is an original story created specifically for this movie but it feels super generic apart from the quick shot of Zurg. I guess that genericness is sort of a part of Buzz's thing as a space-age pastiche but I wish it had more character.

I think it works pretty well as a Toy Story adjacent movie. The time dilation aspect is a nice sci-fi version of the series' consistent theme of the toys staying the same while their human companions age around them.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Lightyear is the Ad Astra of the Toy Story universe

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Are they going to do reshoots to awkwardly kludge Liv Tyler into this one too?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I didn't know that about Liv Tyler in Ad Astra. Also, I'm one of 5 people who really loved Ad Astra.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I worked on the Ad Astra campaign.

Imagine trying to sell that move to the general public. Pretending it wasn't what it was

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

I worked on the Ad Astra campaign.

Imagine trying to sell that move to the general public. Pretending it wasn't what it was

Oh, excellent! I've always been curious about something. Were you guys told to hide what it actually was? Or was that a decision made in house?

No judgement either way, that must have been an impossible movie to sell no matter what. Just something I've always wondered about the ad campaign for that movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

100% we were trying to make it seem big and loud and mind blowing. We didn't try to pretend it was Star Wars but we did try to pretend it was Interstellar

Oh re-read that, it was a decision made in a meeting with execs and filmmakers. I wasn't in that room so I don't know who was arguing what but they agreed at the end.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

kiimo posted:

100% we were trying to make it seem big and loud and mind blowing. We didn't try to pretend it was Star Wars but we did try to pretend it was Interstellar

Oh re-read that, it was a decision made in a meeting with execs and filmmakers. I wasn't in that room so I don't know who was arguing what but they agreed at the end.

Execs and filmmakers? Like the makers of the film itself were in the room too, trying to hide what it was? Or maybe they were in the room, but overruled? I know you weren't in the room, so now I'm just thinking out loud, I guess.

I think it's a pretty good movie, but the marketing for it was wild, just not at all representing what it actually was. Good trailers, just not selling what the movie ending up being. Which makes sense, when you guys were told to sell it as something else.

Anyway, thanks! Even a slight look into the marketing of that movie is really fascinating to me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ad Astra could've been quite good if not for the god awful studio imposed voiceover narration

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Filmmakers almost always have to give approval for a misdirection like that. It's usually because you've already tried it their way, tested it and nobody is interested in seeing your film. Then you have to point out that even if you made a cool art house flick if you want to make another one in your career you should try to get some butts in seats.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think I would have liked Ad Astra a lot more if I knew going in that it was a slow, meditative thing and not an action thrill ride. I don't know if that makes it a good or bad marketing campaign in that it got me in the seat but it worsened my opinion of the movie

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It was definitely a last resort based on bad tracking. Brad Pitt in Space was probably sold to the studio and then they're trying to scrape dollars together in the last gasp of 20th Century Fox when everyone was phoning it in or close to it.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
The moon buggy chase sequence was great

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I wish their was a market for sci-fi movies that cost decent money but only had a few small action set-pieces and mostly spent that money on mood. Ah well.

Colonel Whitey posted:

The moon buggy chase sequence was great

So was the space elevator sequence.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
Title reveal only:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBCzcAXIP4I

"Our campaign begins… Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Come join our party with Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Hugh Grant as our journey begins in theatres on March 3, 2023."

I can only hope this is as funny bad as the 2000 Dungeons and Dragons movie.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That title makes me think it was written by Raymond E Feist

which I wouldn't hate

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Necrosaro posted:

Title reveal only:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBCzcAXIP4I

"Our campaign begins… Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves. Come join our party with Chris Pine, Michelle Rodriguez, Regé-Jean Page, Justice Smith, Sophia Lillis, and Hugh Grant as our journey begins in theatres on March 3, 2023."

I can only hope this is as funny bad as the 2000 Dungeons and Dragons movie.

I mean, my expectation levels are in the basement after the 2000 movie. Good god I hated that movie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

The Ad Astra campaign should have shown nothing except for the space baboons. And the rest of the movie should've been that too.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
They actually made two sequels even worse then the 2000 movie. This new one is the 4th DnD movie I think.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

That title makes me think it was written by Raymond E Feist

which I wouldn't hate

I would love a 3-4 season Magician / Silverthorn / Darkness at Sethanon HBO series

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost
I also loved Ed Astra but my one complaint is you never find out who Ed Astra is, it's like Waiting for Godot

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

I also loved Ed Astra but my one complaint is you never find out who Ed Astra is, it's like Waiting for Godot

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Necrosaro posted:

They actually made two sequels even worse then the 2000 movie. This new one is the 4th DnD movie I think.

I find it impossible to believe they were worse. Just...impossible.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Nap Ghost

finally, the mystery is solved

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Ad Astra could've been quite good if not for the god awful studio imposed voiceover narration

mostly yeah

but also this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luo5yDO7Wqc

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Dillbag posted:

I would love a 3-4 season Magician / Silverthorn / Darkness at Sethanon HBO series

You might be in luck:

Riftwar Cycle TV Show: Fantasy Saga Adaptation In Development