Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

What's the point of mowing a lawn if you're not drowning the neighborhood in blue smoke?

My old walk behind (that I almost was able to give away to someone) cuts so well, but the stupid Kohler Magnum on it has a ring that sticks on occasion and then you're burning oil to gas in a 1:1 ratio.

To poo poo to use, too good to throw away.

(seriously, someone who needs a good walk behind should throw an HF predator on this thing and run it for another 30 years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Motronic posted:

My old walk behind (that I almost was able to give away to someone) cuts so well, but the stupid Kohler Magnum on it has a ring that sticks on occasion and then you're burning oil to gas in a 1:1 ratio.

To poo poo to use, too good to throw away.

(seriously, someone who needs a good walk behind should throw an HF predator on this thing and run it for another 30 years)

Sounds like you keep saying BUILD A GO KART over and over again

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Literally A Person posted:

In my area a saw like that would get listed for a bill and sold for probably $75 depending on age if it's in ready to use today condition. More if it's closer to new less if it's older. This is extremely dependent on what the used market around you is like. Look around craigslist and Facebook marketplace for comps and try and settle around what you see every one else charging. Unless your me, then you list it for $5 just to get it the gently caress out of your shop OH MY GOD THERE'S SO MUCH poo poo PLEASE HELP ME I'M DROWNING.

If you have that many circular saws, then you should just have a different blade on each one. Ripping blade, finishing blade, metal cutting blade and so on.

I declare that from now on if anyone comes in here asking about circ saws, we recommend that they own multiple and each have a different blade.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

wesleywillis posted:

If you have that many circular saws, then you should just have a different blade on each one. Ripping blade, finishing blade, metal cutting blade and so on.

I declare that from now on if anyone comes in here asking about circ saws, we recommend that they own multiple and each have a different blade.

They DO!! :cry:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

tater_salad posted:

Also sounds like you need more batteries

I have a total of 11 Ah worth of 18v batteries, so uh... 16 recharges? I'm just keeping the smaller ones for the flashlights because they basically use no juice.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

I second this motion.

(furiously searching for more circ saws on ebay)

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Only skilsaw you'll ever need right here, weighs in at a reasonable but manly 32 lbs.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/5402NA

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Mambold posted:

Only skilsaw you'll ever need right here, weighs in at a reasonable but manly 32 lbs.

https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/5402NA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwfvnLqdiLU&t=24s

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Any thoughts on Greenworks vs EGO with respect to electric lawn mowers? Looking at a self-propelled 21" in each and wondered if there was any significant difference between the 2 brands? I'm in the battery ecosystem for neither, so that doesn't make a difference at all. It's my last gas-powered tool and I'll be glad to be done with cleaning carbs, changing oil, buying gas, etc.

Lowe's currently has a couple EGO mowers on a $100 off sale, which is alright but nothing super killer. $600 is about my limit, which is what one of the EGOs I'm looking at is on sale for.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Any thoughts on Greenworks vs EGO with respect to electric lawn mowers? Looking at a self-propelled 21" in each and wondered if there was any significant difference between the 2 brands? I'm in the battery ecosystem for neither, so that doesn't make a difference at all. It's my last gas-powered tool and I'll be glad to be done with cleaning carbs, changing oil, buying gas, etc.

Lowe's currently has a couple EGO mowers on a $100 off sale, which is alright but nothing super killer. $600 is about my limit, which is what one of the EGOs I'm looking at is on sale for.

Ego has more creature comforts. The deck height adjustment and telescoping handle are just really nice. Ego Select Cut has two blades. The Ego charger is very nice, it has active cooling.

Costco has a green work 80v mower on sale.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

wesleywillis posted:

Motronic posted:

I second this motion.

(furiously searching for more circ saws on ebay)

Motion seconded.

All thread regulars in favour say (post) Aye.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The best circular saw that I ever had was a Makita that a contractor forgot and I made good use of till they got around to picking it up several weeks later.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Motion thirded. Let your dreams become reality, all. I have begun my search.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What five blades should I use? And what types on what diameter? I have a literal pile of circ saws. A heap.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CommonShore posted:

What five blades should I use? And what types on what diameter? I have a literal pile of circ saws. A heap.

Gotta have a diamond concrete blade in there somewhere, and you're a hero if you can gat a dado to fit/work on one of them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Use one of those chainsaw segment blades that woodcarvers put on angle grinders.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I’m doing my part!!

L-R: old Skil blade for demo/form work, 40T 6 1/2” for plywood/finish stuff, 24T framer

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 14, 2022

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Calidus posted:

Ego has more creature comforts. The deck height adjustment and telescoping handle are just really nice. Ego Select Cut has two blades. The Ego charger is very nice, it has active cooling.

When I had a greenworks 80v mower it also came with an actively cooled charger.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Calidus posted:

Yeah, the Costco sale was the only reason I started looking at Greenworks again. I have their corded de-thatcher and it works great, but don't have any of their battery-powered tools. That said, I don't have any Ego tools either, so I'm not in either of their battery systems.

Seems to me like the differences are:
Ego:
- 56V
- 1x 7.5Ah battery
- Plastic deck
- 60-min runtime (not an issue, my yard is 1600 sq ft)
- Side discharge chute is janky at best and comes out the rear
- Comes with mulching, high-lift and high-effiency blades (I'll never use the latter due to small lawn)
- $700 normal price, on sale for $600

Greenworks
- 80V
- 2x 4Ah batteries, but charger can only hold 1 battery at a time
- Steel deck
- Comes mulching and high-lift blades
- Folds up way easier
- Can't find the exact model on the GW website, but the only 21" 80V that comes with 2x 4Ah batteries is $800 normal price. On sale for $530 at Costco. Costco lists normal price as $630. It seems like the model number 2538902COVT is a Costco-specific SKU?

Reviews for the Ego 2135SP seem pretty good. It's funny because they all say they bought it for $650 full price, but the full price is now $700, so the $100 off doesn't seem as great now.

Does the voltage actually matter any? As mentioned, I have a small California lawn, so I don't need it to last 3 hours or anything dumb.

After looking into the GW one some more, it looks like I might be leaning that way now, especially since it's a bit cheaper.

Squibbles posted:

When I had a greenworks 80v mower it also came with an actively cooled charger.

When? It didn't break after a week did it? :v:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Apropos: https://youtu.be/7U0bG1exavw

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
The ego you mentioned is a 1000w brushless motor with 7ft/lbs of torque. Idk what the green works is but I think in theory you could get more torque out of 80V than 56V. Almost bought the green works because Costco. You might able to sign up for a Lowes card and knock an extra $100 the Ego.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tater_salad posted:

OMG that saw is beautiful 😍
The plot thickens

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

When? It didn't break after a week did it? :v:

Haha, no it was a great mower but I had to get rid of it when we moved across the country. I liked that the 2 batteries it comes with let you mow until a battery died, toss it on the charger and mow with the second one. By the time the second battery died the first would be charged. My lawn wasn't big enough to have to take advantage of that but a pretty cool feature.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Anyone have experience with the all electric riding mowers?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Squibbles posted:

Haha, no it was a great mower but I had to get rid of it when we moved across the country. I liked that the 2 batteries it comes with let you mow until a battery died, toss it on the charger and mow with the second one. By the time the second battery died the first would be charged. My lawn wasn't big enough to have to take advantage of that but a pretty cool feature.

Yeah I like that it can run on one or two batteries.

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the Greenworks one from Costco. It really looked like the $800 one on the GW website, but at a smoking price. Now I just gotta wait 10-15 days…..

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

That Costco greenworks also has an awesome 4 year warranty on the mower and 8 year free replacement warranty on the batteries.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 15, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

FCKGW posted:

8 year free replacement warranty on the batteries.

:eyepop:

Anyone who needs a mower that can possibly use this mower should buy it. That's crazy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow I thought it was 4/4. Is that a Costco-specific thing??

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, it's a base 4-year warranty, plus another 4-year extended warranty through Costco. The latter requires registration of the batteries as well.

But that's a hell of a deal either way.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I love my little ryobi circular saw, but it's also the tool I feel like I'm most likely to put into my leg by accident or kickback into my hand someday

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

appreciate it.. but Just got my estimates for Fence and Concrete work and new tools are not currently in the budget until I rebuild it a little. (they are at a price where "build a deck and do the fence myself" would be a considerable portion of "pay someone else and drink beer inside / outside while I watch. So I'll be using my jank rear end bad skill saw to rip through the decking.

in other news.. the Ryobi brushless Recip saw is 100% recommended for anyone who owns a house and is team green. Yet again it continues to be probably the best single tool I've purchased (outside of a a drill / driver combo set).
I've used it multiple times to trim branches of a small tree in my garden, it's assisted in taking out 3 bigass bushes in the backyard, and now It helped make quick work of 3 "ground pine". Pull trigger trim branches, dig up trunk, works like a charm every time.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 15, 2022

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Calidus posted:

The ego you mentioned is a 1000w brushless motor with 7ft/lbs of torque. Idk what the green works is but I think in theory you could get more torque out of 80V than 56V. Almost bought the green works because Costco. You might able to sign up for a Lowes card and knock an extra $100 the Ego.

Almost nobody will publish their motor wattages on their spec sheets. Very suspicious.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

El Mero Mero posted:

I love my little ryobi circular saw, but it's also the tool I feel like I'm most likely to put into my leg by accident or kickback into my hand someday

Very realistic take. That's a big advantage the battery saw has, that it's not a literal 2 1/2 - 3 horses worth of portable kickback waiting for you to be distracted by any goddamn thing.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

CommonShore posted:

Beam cutter attachment.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Next week I am buying this floor standing drill press, used, from some rando. I will have the chance to put a dial indicator on it before taking it home.

What should my go/no-go limits be for runout on a $400 used drill press?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Does anyone have strong feelings about a shop apron they can recommend? Something that will generally keep me from completely drowning in wood shavings or sawdust when I'm on the lathe or doing general woodworking-type things. I prefer a cross back (vs. neck loop) and I'm 6'4" so a long/tall one would be good. I have no strong opinions about the number or size of pockets. Machine washable would be a plus.

(I won't be welding or painting, if that makes a difference)

I know it's a silly kind of request, but I've previously bought some ultimately crappy stuff in the $50-75 range and don't mind spending more this time around.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Trabant posted:

Does anyone have strong feelings about a shop apron they can recommend? Something that will generally keep me from completely drowning in wood shavings or sawdust when I'm on the lathe or doing general woodworking-type things. I prefer a cross back (vs. neck loop) and I'm 6'4" so a long/tall one would be good. I have no strong opinions about the number or size of pockets. Machine washable would be a plus.

(I won't be welding or painting, if that makes a difference)

I know it's a silly kind of request, but I've previously bought some ultimately crappy stuff in the $50-75 range and don't mind spending more this time around.

My goon. Meet the coverall. It is God's own wood/metalworking garment. Also it's an adult long sleeve onsie.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I have a cheap pair of dickies I cut the arms off of to use as a speed suit in summer and a big ol pair of insulated ones of unknown origin that get me through fall and winter without feeling like I am dying of hypothermia.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
YOU JUST UNZIP THAT M'Fer AND YOU CLEAN, HOMIE!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A place down the street from me makes really gorgeous aprons if you’re feeling especially fancy. I’m not an apron wearer but their bags are extremely well made and you can see the shop where they sew everything from the front retail area. It’s pretty cool: https://artifactbags.com/collections/aprons