Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Gully Foyle posted:

I mean, probably shouldn't be Deathwatch since I think those are reserved for the actual Empress and family, so they only show up once Tuon is in the picture.

After last season ended people were analyzing the poo poo out of the official images

They noticed that these two blokes look elaborate as gently caress so maybe they’re some kind of nobility or royalty or whatever, that's why I'm not ruling out DW guards being in S2.

It’s probably just a common grunt but I was reading last night about Karede and his troop and their armor and the dudes armor in the image looks awfully black and reminded me of Karede’s gear :shrug:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
If they keep true to the books though, the death watch guard don't show up until the third wave of seanchan, I think. Tuon arrives only after Ebu Dar gets secured. Maybe the show will significantly truncate that timeline though. I can see Tuon showing up in season two. Maybe season three though.

And they're great in the books, playing the straight man to Matt.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 21, 2022

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Hexel posted:

It’s probably just a common grunt but I was reading last night about Karede and his troop and their armor and the dudes armor in the image looks awfully black

Its hard being in the deathwatch

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

They have a completely new costume designer for S2 anyways so even speculation based on S1 will be useless. Hopefully they get rid of the garish facepaint on the sul'dams.

wotseries.com posted:

On the heels of the exciting Season 2 news from yesterday, we have another crew member to announce. Earlier this year, costume designer Sharon Gilham (IMDB) added “The Wheel of Time Season 2” to her online CV, and stated she began the job in January, 2021. Gilham’s recent credits include Finding Alice (2021), The Stranger (2020), and Jamestown (2019). She designed for the Black Mirror episode “White Christmas” in 2014, often referred to as “the Jon Hamm episode.” She has also done extensive work for television commercials, and theatre productions such as Les Miserables.

We reached out for confirmation, but the production and Gilham’s agency declined to comment. The reference to Wheel of Time has since been removed from her CV, but recent social media posts indicate she is in Prague. It’s unclear if she is replacing Isis Mussenden as the show’s main costume designer, or if they brought on a second designer to tackle the monumental job of creating costumes for such a complex world.

https://www.wotseries.com/2021/04/29/scoop-new-season-two-costume-designer-possible-filming-in-morocco/

That article was uncertain whether Isis Mussenden would be back but she gave an interview later which confirmed she would not

https://www.btlnews.com/interviews/isis-mussenden-wheel-of-time-costume-designer/

We should probably be on Tuon watch though since the timeline will certainly be accelerated.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Hopefully they get rid of the pacifiers.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Gully Foyle posted:

I mean, probably shouldn't be Deathwatch since I think those are reserved for the actual Empress and family, so they only show up once Tuon is in the picture.

Given how compressed things are who knows, maybe she has shown up already

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Invalid Validation posted:

Hopefully they get rid of the pacifiers.

No. The pacifiers stay.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Given the Importance of the Return, I could see them waving off all the end-of-season costuming as ceremonial.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

It is also 100% in character for them to like, have a specific outfit and costume they wear for the landing and then burn them all as soon as they land.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
A wizard did it.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

So I just read the Semirhage death scene and I stand by what I said. She’s an incompetent fool. She had a domination band on the Dragon Reborn. She had him subdued and compliant after the torture weaves on Min.

All she had to do was gate to Shayol Ghul but no, she had to be grandmistress of pain and suffering.

Mesaana > Semirhage

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hexel posted:

So I just read the Semirhage death scene and I stand by what I said. She’s an incompetent fool. She had a domination band on the Dragon Reborn. She had him subdued and compliant after the torture weaves on Min.

All she had to do was gate to Shayol Ghul but no, she had to be grandmistress of pain and suffering.

Mesaana > Semirhage

Semirhage single-handedly took down the most powerful empire on the planet. She so thoroughly decapitated them that they didn't show up to the last battle at all, only their vanguard force that was already on the spot was able to contribute. Mesaana couldn't even handle the White Tower which is populated almost exclusively by over-confident bumblers.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Semirhage also was the one who nearly turned Rand entirely to the dark side. He was not great before she showed up, but she cranked him up to 11.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

uPen posted:

Semirhage single-handedly took down the most powerful empire on the planet. She so thoroughly decapitated them that they didn't show up to the last battle at all, only their vanguard force that was already on the spot was able to contribute. Mesaana couldn't even handle the White Tower which is populated almost exclusively by over-confident bumblers.

Furthermore, Mesaana took personal command of the Black Ajah, the most secretive and powerful weapon of the Shadow, an organization that had existed for something like 2,500 years, and on her watch managed to get the whole organization destroyed. At least Semiraghe only took one Black Ajah member down with her when she fell. Mesaana got almost the entire Black Ajah executed or forced to run for their lives!

Semirhage is still the most effective Forsaken short of Demandred for what she did to the Seanchan alone, and miles better than Mesaana. :colbert:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

That vanguard force is at least 300,000. Seanchan will be just fine according to Aviendha’s visions.

Aes Sedai bumbling and infighting has caused much of Randland’s ills and unpreparedness.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Semirhage also was the one who nearly turned Rand entirely to the dark side. He was not great before she showed up, but she cranked him up to 11.

And that was probably necessary to bring about the dragonmount epiphany and usher in Zen Rand so she hosed that up too. :laugh:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hexel posted:

And that was probably necessary to bring about the dragonmount epiphany and usher in Zen Rand so she hosed that up too. :laugh:

I think that kind of misses the entire point of the books though.

It was never ever necessary for him to go darth rand first. Or even the lead up and all the nasty poo poo. He didn't have to go through darkness to get to light.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

CainFortea posted:

He didn't have to go through darkness to get to light.

But that’s the classic formula for every epic tale :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also, for all that you can complain that Semirhage's sadism cost her a chance to bring down the Dragon...but how many other Forsaken got anywhere near as close to winning as she did?

e: Let's baseball it. Yeah, Semirhage got thrown out at the plate after nearly hitting an in-the-park homerun. But Mesaana just hit a weak grounder and got thrown out at first!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Apr 22, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hexel posted:

Mesaana > Semirhage

You really missed the point of that scene. Breaking him as a person was the real battle, not having him at Shayol Ghul.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Let's baseball it.

Mesaana is the head coach. Ishi is the owner, he built the stadium but Mesaana been running the team since awakening. Mesaana sandbagged the opposing team and only half made it to the game.

Our heroes have spent the whole series reacting to black ajah moves, poo poo Moiraine and Siuan have been playing catch up since the assassination of Tamra Ospenya.

Semirhage came close but ends up being Be’lal tier for whiffing so hard.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Semirhage had no idea Rand could use the TP. She was as surprised as we were when we first read it and we had foreknowledge Rand/Mori were linked.

I'm a Semirhage stan.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Seems like most of y’all are Semirhage stans.

Ok Be’lal tier is unfair, I’ll say Rahvin tier since she did grave national damage and significantly impacted multiple characters.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hexel posted:

That vanguard force is at least 300,000. Seanchan will be just fine according to Aviendha’s visions.

Aes Sedai bumbling and infighting has caused much of Randland’s ills and unpreparedness.

Can you imagine how much easier the final battle for the forces of the light would have been if the forces back home in Seanchan could have been used there?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Its hard to imagine a Forsaken that even comes close to Demandred's accomplishments. The dude managed to turn an entire nation to the shadow and was one ill conceived duel acceptance away from smoking the forces of light at the last battle.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hexel posted:

Mesaana > Semirhage

You're aware that she was betrayed by her own God, right? You can hardly blame her for getting dusted when The Dark One used her as a sacrifice. That was the final play to open Rand to the True Power.

She was set up to fail, and that was the entire point.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Its hard to imagine a Forsaken that even comes close to Demandred's accomplishments. The dude managed to turn an entire nation to the shadow and was one ill conceived duel acceptance away from smoking the forces of light at the last battle.

It’s been so long since I’ve read the end of the series that my impression of Demandred is him as the shorter guy in this video when it comes to Rand:

https://youtu.be/LlOSdRMSG_k

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Democratic Pirate posted:

It’s been so long since I’ve read the end of the series that my impression of Demandred is him as the shorter guy in this video when it comes to Rand:

https://youtu.be/LlOSdRMSG_k

That's astoundingly accurate.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea. Whoever they cast as Demandred needs to look like Josha, but just slightly less handsom

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I always knew about the Taimendred thing and how he was changed when RJ realized everybody saw it coming, but it's fun reading Lord of Chaos and such before that change was really put in place.

Rand putting the dragon pin on his collar and saying "I guess I was the first Asha'man, but Mazrim Taim is the second," and Taim immediately goes stone faced and pissy for the rest of the scene until Rand calls him out on it and he has to control himself.

Demandred just fuckin seething that he's #2 yet again to Lews Therin's country bumpkin reincarnation.

Especially with Lews Therin's later ramblings about how no matter how many accolades he gave him, it just made Demandred angrier.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Pleads posted:

Especially with Lews Therin's later ramblings about how no matter how many accolades he gave him, it just made Demandred angrier.

The way he phrases it later on makes me feel almost certain that a lot of those accolades were rather backhanded. "Demandred should have been a hero. If I’d offered a hand instead of a smirk, if I’d congratulated instead of competed. If I’d been the man then that I am now...""

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I do actually really like that Rand managed to create his very own Demandred with basically the same behaviors that LTT probably displayed. Rand's repeating the mistakes of the past even though he technically has all the knowledge needed to do better this time. Even if he has it all walled off in another persona. Every interaction they have is pretty much designed to piss off Taim in a very specific way and it's great. Taimandred would have been cool too but I think it was the more interesting choice to not go that route, even if the change in direction left some inconsistencies.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Gully Foyle posted:

BigHead posted:

If they keep true to the books though, the death watch guard don't show up until the third wave of seanchan, I think. Tuon arrives only after Ebu Dar gets secured. Maybe the show will significantly truncate that timeline though. I can see Tuon showing up in season two. Maybe season three though.

And they're great in the books, playing the straight man to Matt.

1) Turak is of the imperial family (he mentions that he's twelfth in line for the throne when talking to Fain)
2) Suroth has Deathwatch Guard with her in the first chapter of TSR. This is before she's had communication with the throne or received reinforcements, so they have to have come with the first wave.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

You're aware that she was betrayed by her own God, right? You can hardly blame her for getting dusted when The Dark One used her as a sacrifice. That was the final play to open Rand to the True Power.

She was set up to fail, and that was the entire point.

Semirhage succeeded spectacularly at precisely what she was supposed to do, and in the eyes of her boss was a complete success.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm not really clear why the fatalist forsaken who just wanted to die a final death didn't just have someone balefire them? Surely that's a more reliable way to commit sudoku than relying on a lying lord of the grave to actually keep his side of the bargain.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm not really clear why the fatalist forsaken who just wanted to die a final death didn't just have someone balefire them? Surely that's a more reliable way to commit sudoku than relying on a lying lord of the grave to actually keep his side of the bargain.

You're thinking too small, it's the same reason he didn't just jump off a building or channel his heart to stop - he wants more than his own death, he wants the death of all reality

The Pattern is what is imprisoning the Dark One, so it's reasonable for him to believe their interests are aligned in destroying it - Ishamael is free from existing, the DO is free from imprisonment

Also

quote:

sudoku
I love the idea of Elan Morin Tedronai getting so bummed at existence that he resorts to death by number puzzle (seppuku is what you're thinking of)

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 22, 2022

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Balefire doesn't keep that person from coming back in the next turning of the wheel. It just burns their thread out into the past of this turning.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Basically all balefire does is make it too hard for the Dark One to grab the end of their thread and reconstitute them on the spot, it doesn't obliterate them forever.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nitrousoxide posted:

Balefire isn't a final death. They still get spun out again in the future, it just fucks with the Dark One specifically because he can only catch the souls at the moment of death to do his 'bring back to life' trick and Balefire moves that to a point before its possible to be aware of.

Better question is why Ishy/Moridin aren't just blasting Balefire out of their hands 24/7 at literally everything they can see and spreading the knowledge around as much as possible. Destabilizing reality also seems like it would have the desired effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Zore posted:

Better question is why Ishy/Moridin aren't just blasting Balefire out of their hands 24/7 at literally everything they can see and spreading the knowledge around as much as possible. Destabilizing reality also seems like it would have the desired effect.

Yeah I've wondered that before. My personal explanation is that if you try to brute force the pattern down like that it's just going to autocorrect as hard as it needs to to preserve itself and kill you with a random bolt of lightning or other similarly unlikely thing.