Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Very words I just said out loud to that photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Joburg posted:

My internet is back up!!!

Oh my word!

So, uh, am I the only one now thinking of tiny scarves and bowties?

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Chido posted:

Oh god, this thread still exists. I haven't posted here in years and thought this megathread would be closed by now. For the oldtimers that are still around and remember the henhoes, two of the original ones are still alive - Rusty and Dust - and are pushing 11-12 years old. What a trip down memory lane this thread is.

Rusty and Dust! I remember them (and Roostroyer's sneakers, RIP). I'm glad they're still around! Thanks for stopping by and letting us know.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Chido posted:

Oh god, this thread still exists. I haven't posted here in years and thought this megathread would be closed by now. For the oldtimers that are still around and remember the henhoes, two of the original ones are still alive - Rusty and Dust - and are pushing 11-12 years old. What a trip down memory lane this thread is.

Oh post pics! Your stories throughout the thread's existence had been very inspiring to me as someone who was just getting into the poultry scene.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Please do!

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

We managed to get the Formex large coop on sale, and it arrived today. We also got a large pipe frame, wire mesh covered 10 by 15 foot run. This time it will have hardware cloth around the base and buried to keep another Racoon Incident from happening.

Even though our permit from the city only allows three hens, we're going for double that. It turns out there's no city Chicken Inspector, and we have a privacy fence anyway. A couple of other people in the neighborhood have more than the allotted number, and have for years.

Our last girls were all buff orps, but this time we're going for a variety pack. Six different breeds. Olive egger, violet orp, cuckoo marans, gold laced Wyandotte, light brahma and a Rhode Island blue. Going to have a loooot of eggses!

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
my October chicks are all grown up and laying eggs!

Thistle:

Truffles:

Bucket:

Parsnip:

Monaco:

Drama:

and Barbados:

bonus pic of a happy, healthy special girl:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

BHB posted:

Such perfect happy creatures :love: :kimchi:

This post is pure delight

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

BHB posted:

:love::love::love:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

God, they've come so far. A fine set of gals who'll give plenty of eggs.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

i love them, they're beautiful :h:

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

sleepy babies

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
some good little peepers

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I just have so many eggs guys, you don’t understand

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

freeedr posted:

I just have so many eggs guys, you don’t understand

I understand.

:negative:

we have pretty good outlets for our eggs, but the girls are really putting out volume. that's like 8ish days worth of eggs.

also it's a bit late, but this is where we put Tiny Man.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
This is a beautiful photo.

So is this one. Bless Tiny Man.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

what a wonderful thread

KariOhki posted:

Bless Tiny Man.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

your chickens are being very good. mine are being very bad. we have been getting 1 egg/day between 7 hens. they're not broody anymore but they haven't resumed laying :mad:

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 9, 2022

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’m getting 14 to 18 chicken eggs, 1 duck egg, and 0 to 37 Guinea eggs per day. The guineas were laying in the neighbors bushes LOL

I donated 6 dozen chicken eggs to the food bank last week :3:

Three of our Muscovies are broody and the one non-broody girl is pretty lonely. The other ducks kicked her out of the duck houses and she keeps trying to sleep in the goat barn. The goats are rowdy at night so she wouldn’t be safe there, we have to herd her to one of the duck houses and I know the broody duck is probably hissing at her all night. I don’t have a good solution :(

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
rip

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Is that a cat realizing it has made a poor decision?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My cat keeps wanting to hang out in the back yard and nibble the bamboo. The chickens were pretty frightened at first, but keep getting more and more curious. This morning, kitty was cornered for a moment while the chickens got a good look.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Spotted this on Bella's foot when she was having a stretch yesterday. Just a scab from a dislodged scale or could it be bumblefoot?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Going to get our new flock tomorrow! Six girls of various breeds. We decided on cheese varieties for the names.

Got the feed, grit, and new waterer for them.

They'll have a brand spanking new Formex coop and a 10 by 15 foot wire enclosed run. I'll be putting hardware cloth around the base of the run to prevent another raccoon incident.

Won't likely have any eggs until fall, but that's secondary. Of course in the long run we'll be lucky if we get under $1 per egg, what with all the new digs. But we'll have a mini flock of pretty girls!

This time I know that you don't hold your top chicken on your lap and get your tasty looking eyeballs too close to the pecky bit.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

there is a quail egg in my incubator

wish us luck! the child of queso blanco shall be hatched!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

spookygonk posted:

Spotted this on Bella's foot when she was having a stretch yesterday. Just a scab from a dislodged scale or could it be bumblefoot?

I’d guess that’s a bumble. I’d go low effort and wait to see if it improves. Sometimes my hens’ feet cure themselves.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

:neckbeard: :kimchi: :kiddo:

you are about to meet a creature smaller than you ever thought possible

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

my cat is norris posted:

Good luck!

Rose has decided she’s broody again so I gave her some leghorn eggs, maybe she can raise some calm ones. There are a few other hens looking broody-ish, including one of the leghorns :confused: so we will see how that goes.

I think Large Marge is raising 2 cockerels and 1 pullet. They are really cute.

We had 2 losses in the brooder, I am guessing maybe coccidia but I don’t know. I treated everyone and they seem to be feeling fine now. Little yellow chick is very runty but with that naked neck you can see she’s eating. They are still fantastic little beings, very inquisitive and self assured.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

mycatisnorris, just to warn you, a single quail chick is going to be a lot of work. they'll end up super tame, but you'll have to be their constant companion for the first few weeks until they're big enough to join the others. this is a task you will excel at, but just be prepared!

Joburg posted:

Little yellow chick is very runty but with that naked neck you can see she’s eating. They are still fantastic little beings, very inquisitive and self assured.

adorable phallus

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Thread, I only have two hens. What do I do when one of them dies? Can I keep a single hen? Do I need to keep her inside the house if I'm going to keep her at all? Is there any point in trying to adopt out an old hen, or will she just get bullied to death even if I can find someone to take her?
Well, it looks like Venus is on her last legs. I don't expect her to make it another day. She's been less energetic the past few days (i.e. not hopping the fence to wander around the yard) but didn't look sick.

Now I have to figure out rehoming a single hen--Jupiter the Jersey Giant. Fortunately, there's a local chicken keeper group on Facebook where I might find someone to take her in. She's old, but still lays when the weather is good. I know keeping a single hen is a bad idea, but if the only alternative is selling her as a meat bird, I'll just have to spend more time with her and let her in the house sometimes.

(Anybody in Virginia want a chicken? Hell, I'll pay you.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 5, 2022

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hmmm after a few days I'm not seeing any development in this egg, so I don't think it was fertilized. I have a few more I'll try next week! Trying to get some practice with the incubator before my big order of eggs arrives.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, it looks like Venus is on her last legs. I don't expect her to make it another day. She's been less energetic the past few days (i.e. not hopping the fence to wander around the yard) but didn't look sick.

Now I have to figure out rehoming a single hen--Jupiter the Jersey Giant. Fortunately, there's a local chicken keeper group on Facebook where I might find someone to take her in. She's old, but still lays when the weather is good. I know keeping a single hen is a bad idea, but if the only alternative is selling her as a meat bird, I'll just have to spend more time with her and let her in the house sometimes.

Sorry about Venus. I’m glad she’s had such a good long life.

Maybe you could add 2 pullets to your flock temporarily and then when Jupiter passes, rehome them. Being younger and a two-some they would have an easier time finding and fitting in to a new home.

On my local Craigslist there’s all sorts of young chicks available (ha ha) that don’t need to be under a heat lamp but aren’t mature enough to bully a full grown hen.

If you want to drive to GA, I can loan you some pullets and you can return them in the future.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

my cat is norris posted:

Hmmm after a few days I'm not seeing any development in this egg, so I don't think it was fertilized. I have a few more I'll try next week! Trying to get some practice with the incubator before my big order of eggs arrives.
i'd recommend doing four or five eggs for your first hatch. raising a single quail chick is far more work than raising several, because they demand constant company. they're social little birds and they don't like to be alone. a small group of them can keep each other entertained so they're not peeping for you at ultrasonic frequencies at all hours of the day and night, and it's always good to have a few spares because of, you know, the mortality rate. if you end up with four chicks, you'll still get time to know each one individually as a special perfect being. and then you'll have six birds, which looks about right for the cage that you've set up.

i'm so excited for you! it's great that you've taken all this time to get to know the adults in all their quirks before hatching some eggs. you're going to be amazed at the difference it makes to a quail, being hand-raised - for one thing, you'll never again have that terrible experience of one jumping away from you and coming to tragedy against the roof of the cage. and you'll find that once your two grown birds have bonded with the tame newcomers, they will become tamer as well.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

okie i lied i candled the egg again tonight and there are little veins so :confuoot:

This is all really good input about the quail. I did put a couple of more eggs into the incubator; they'll be a few days behind if they hatch, but I think I can survive a few days of mega-needy baby (assuming this one continues)

Thank you for rooting for us!! I still want to call you Avshalom because that's the name I know...

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Halloween Jack posted:

What part of VA?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Charlottesville area. I'm willing to travel some distance, though I'd rather not drive, like, 4 hours to Bristol.

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

nobody can ever know my true name

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'd been trying to think of a fun way to show off my homegrown eggs at work, and yesterday being the Friday before Mother's Day a few of us brought treats for everyone; I brought egg muffins. We actually have a full-size oven at the office so I prepped all the stuff at home and then baked them at work. They were so good!

The secret weapon is silicone muffin pans. I'd tried these once before with a regular muffin pan and despite greasing it to hell and back, it took a half hour of scrubbing to get all the egg stuck on it off again.

Anyway, this is a great way to use an egg surplus and any random half-chopped veggies or things in the fridge that are about to go off.

30 minutes later:

My "recipe" for each pan was to sautee enough bacon and veggies (in this case, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, diced tomatoes) to be able to put about a spoonful in each cup. Then a pinch of queso fresco on that, then almost filled up with 8 eggs scrambled with a bit of sriracha, garlic powder, MSG, black pepper, and salt. Baked at 350 for 15-16 minutes.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

nobody can ever know my true name

they would hold too much power over you.

my quail eggs just shipped -- i guess that solves the incubator conundrum for me. i feel bad doing it, but i'm going to take out the eggs that have partially developed, and wait to do the whole bunch together. my two survivors are still producing fertilized eggs so i'll just put them in with the new ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Unrelated, I found a cool thing on Amazon that you can only really fully use (in the land of pre-washed eggs) if you've got your own chickens.