Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

To clarify—there are guidelines in many places on the hole/mesh size for bird netting to prevent wildlife kills.

Generally, you want a smaller mesh size so that it acts as a barrier without trapping a bird’s head/wing and getting tangled in feathers.

Oh that could be it, the mesh I've seen here is pretty fine, probably <=5mm holes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Progressive JPEG posted:

For me personally putting up netting is too much trouble beyond individual beds and I haven't worried about it too much. As an alternate strategy I've planted out some mulberries in the hopes that the birds will find them more attractive and gorge on them instead - or worst case I've heard mulberries are good for keeping chickens under.

Pakistani Long mulberries are very tasty and huge, I have two sitting next to an Illinois Everbearing mulberry and they seem to cross pollinate fruit amazingly. Even if the birds don't like them, they are worth having around for yourself.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Pretty sure I have a groundhog somewhere around my house that’s destroying my garden beds. My tulips and all of my irises are toast. How do you get rid of these things????

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I'm pretty sure that plastic explosives in the shape of friendly woodland creatures have been successful in the past.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Weather reports have our lows at 37 for the next three nights. NWS has a frost advisory out for areas a little too close to home. So I guess I'm covering the tomatoes and peppers tonight. It feels like overkill... plus I have understudies of all the planted varieties still chilling in my basement. But I also know I would be pissed if I got lazy and they died.

Berry chat makes me feel very cavalier about my new bushes. I was studying all the best local varieties for my area and got starts in the ground March... where they got blasted by cold and I know not what else and look pretty stunted. So while at Home Depot I just picked up a couple random chonkers without doing any research. Sweethearts and another highbush variety.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bi-la kaifa posted:

I'm pretty sure that plastic explosives in the shape of friendly woodland creatures have been successful in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jvcNrjM_F4

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Pretty sure I have a groundhog somewhere around my house that’s destroying my garden beds. My tulips and all of my irises are toast. How do you get rid of these things????
Thermobaric weapons.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I am so very angry. I may blow this animal up Not really though

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

You plant your bulbs in cages. No, really. You can make your own or buy them commercially; google "bulb cage". https://www.instructables.com/Gardeners-underground-bulb-cage/ https://www.amazon.com/VOLE-KING-Plant-Baskets-Gallon/dp/B06XHP5T6W/

My next-door neighbor has a fenced-in garden and gardens in raised beds. She also has gopher traps set underneath the raised beds, which she matter-of-factly checked when she was showing me around the garden.

You can't repel groundhogs/gophers/rodents from delicious tasty food. You can just make it impossible for them to get it.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Groggy nard posted:

Pakistani Long mulberries are very tasty and huge, I have two sitting next to an Illinois Everbearing mulberry and they seem to cross pollinate fruit amazingly. Even if the birds don't like them, they are worth having around for yourself.

Oh neat I'll see if I can find any here. Mainly been getting white mulberries but recently got a couple of a pendulata variety to try as well.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

If you needed any additional justification for getting rid of them, they can also be bad for your foundation and/or septic if they dig around there too much.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

I am so very angry. I may blow this animal up Not really though

Just make sure to not also go golfing in a thunder storm.

I think if it’s a groundhog or moles you need traps and relocation. If that fails the woodland creature shaped explosives may be your only hope.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jhet posted:

I think if it’s a groundhog or moles you need traps and relocation. If that fails the woodland creature shaped explosives may be your only hope.
Relocation is not a humane way to dispose of rodents. A rodent dropped in a new location where it doesn't know where the food sources are, and doesn't have a pre-established warren, is predator chow.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You plant your bulbs in cages. No, really. You can make your own or buy them commercially; google "bulb cage". https://www.instructables.com/Gardeners-underground-bulb-cage/ https://www.amazon.com/VOLE-KING-Plant-Baskets-Gallon/dp/B06XHP5T6W/

My next-door neighbor has a fenced-in garden and gardens in raised beds. She also has gopher traps set underneath the raised beds, which she matter-of-factly checked when she was showing me around the garden.

You can't repel groundhogs/gophers/rodents from delicious tasty food. You can just make it impossible for them to get it.

Thanks for this! I guess I could make makeshift cylindrical cages above ground to protect the leaves/flowers as well as doing this.

Jhet posted:

Just make sure to not also go golfing in a thunder storm.

This is what I wanted to do, but I did some research and…

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Relocation is not a humane way to dispose of rodents. A rodent dropped in a new location where it doesn't know where the food sources are, and doesn't have a pre-established warren, is predator chow.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Fair. I misread the part where some kill traps are restricted here for moles to mean that you only use catch and release. It just means you use other traps and then kill them. I’m hoping that I’ve dissuaded them mostly myself, but I have a feeling they’re just hiding under the trees and waiting to dig up the 100sq ft of grass I have again.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

We set off a bunch of hilariously illegal explosives every new years and just like that, our mole problem relocated. I shot the last two squirrels we had tearing up the deck. No quarter.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mischief posted:

No quarter.

That's me with the Eastern cottontail rabbits here. They're invasive and don't belong here. They should probably not have litters in my garden anymore.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Some Achillea deciding to bloom in the afternoon sun a couple days after I brought it home

also, re: berrychat, some native strawberries from today - v. good

drk fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Apr 18, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That sounds like perfect rodent disposal.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Fozzy The Bear posted:

That sounds like perfect rodent disposal.
The thing is, it's sold as 'humane', that is, as a way to clear your conscience. You're going to a fair amount of extra effort, and the rabbit/groundhog/mouse still dies almost immediately, and it's terrified first.

Using kill traps means that you have to confront killing an animal, which is why I haven't done it so far in my life. There are no clean answers.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Was it in this thread that someone shared their really nice seed starting trays? I remember them being made from a fairly rugged plastic and being a little on the pricey side. They had individual cells, but they were staggered in their arrangement.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 18, 2022

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

My tomatoes are fruiting like crazy. I expect that from the one that produces tiny little marble-sized tomatoes, because it only stopped for a few weeks in the dead of winter, but the "roma" that also survived the winter is going gangbusters too. I've got some mustard greens that I want to let flower and set seed, but then I'll pull those and plant some warm weather stuff.

Other than the roma, most of what's in my garden is self-seeding. I have some beans coming up in various places (though I do plant some pole beans, too) and the same is true for the perilla, basil, pumpkin, culantro, curry tree, epazote and a half dozen edible "weeds" that I've managed to transplant from foraging trips - pellitory, Florida bettony, three or four little mustards, dandelions, nettles (mistakes were made) and before long the purslane will be coming in...

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
Thanks to having 4 1000lb fertilizer makers out back, my herb/veggie plants are looking particularly happy this year.

Cherry Tomatoes

Herbs

Spaghetti squash

I scooped about 20 seeds out of the last spaghetti squash I ate and every one of them sprouted. I excavated a little behind the planters and filled it with my compost. Once the seedlings came out, I transplanted them in with the intention of letting the vines run. We'll see how it goes. I don't want to till up the area yet.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Jhet posted:

That's me with the Eastern cottontail rabbits here. They're invasive and don't belong here. They should probably not have litters in my garden anymore.

We had viral hemorrhagic disease go through the island's European rabbit population a couple of years ago. No one has any idea how the disease got here. :iiam: No Europeans anymore, but the cottontails are doing fine and ate my sprouting peas a couple of weeks ago so I have some fence work to do.

European black squirrels made it up to here in 2014, since then they've been building up their population and the native red squirrels are getting scarcer. A black squirrel decided to strip one of my small apple trees last fall. nbd since we had lots from the other trees but somewhere on the hill there's a laundry basket's worth of rotting apples hidden in stumps or whatever they do with them.

From the discussion in this thread I'm terrified now they're going to develop a taste for my garden. 10' deer fence won't keep them out.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

rojay posted:

Other than the roma, most of what's in my garden is self-seeding.

Most of our compost is horse manure based and we've run into problems with pyralid herbicide residue inhibiting germination and development of some species so I had to stop using our home-made compost in soil block and seeding tray mixtures. Last year I bought compost for that purpose, this year I kept a small composter separate with just househould and garden waste in it.

Which means the waste from canning tomatoes and cleaning up the tomato beds.

Which means I'm constantly weeding seedling tomatoes out of my soil blocks this spring.

rojay posted:

... dandelions, nettles (mistakes were made) and before long the purslane will be coming in...

Yep. Do not leave a little Sheep's Sorrel for your salads in amongst the artichokes. I deeply regret that decision now.

Supposedly the beach kale happily growing in the seaweed mulching the asparagus is edible. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Hexigrammus posted:

We had viral hemorrhagic disease go through the island's European rabbit population a couple of years ago. No one has any idea how the disease got here. :iiam: No Europeans anymore, but the cottontails are doing fine and ate my sprouting peas a couple of weeks ago so I have some fence work to do.

European black squirrels made it up to here in 2014, since then they've been building up their population and the native red squirrels are getting scarcer. A black squirrel decided to strip one of my small apple trees last fall. nbd since we had lots from the other trees but somewhere on the hill there's a laundry basket's worth of rotting apples hidden in stumps or whatever they do with them.

From the discussion in this thread I'm terrified now they're going to develop a taste for my garden. 10' deer fence won't keep them out.

We just have mostly grey squirrels in the city that I see. Which I guess is okay because they’re dumb enough to get caught by the dogs in the neighborhood, but they don’t seem to eat too much except the cones in my spruce tree and the maple seeds.

The rabbits mostly stay away except when they’re looking for a place to have their litter. Our dog is a good enough deterrent the rest of the year, but I can’t leave a litter of rabbits just there where my dog will definitely eat it. Killing rodents is in his genetics, but I’ll do it to keep him from extra visits to the vet. They left my chard and cabbage alone all winter, so it’s not really that bad. I don’t know if marigolds actually do anything, but I like them and tend to put them around in what I think are strategic spots. Could be all BS, but they’re pretty and that’s enough for me to keep doing it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I pruned my Meyer lemon.

They say that Meyer’s lemon is nearly thornless, but that is deeply misleading.

It is true that there are branches and shoots without thorns. However, that only lowers a person’s guard and opens them up to attack by the substantial thorns that do exist.

The wounds received from such a tree are like those from a cursed weapon, painful and slow to heal, though not appearing infected.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
That's relatable as hell. The previous owner here planted a decorative pomegranate that gave the exact same wounds and I was thrilled when I finally ripped it completely out.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Anyone have tips for moving starts out under a row cover instead of them living inside? Or will the row cover be enough to keep my tomatoes and warm weather plants happy enough? It's not freezing, but it's still 40s overnight.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

The wounds received from such a tree are like those from a cursed weapon, painful and slow to heal, though not appearing infected.

I got within a few feet of one of the Opuntias in my garden last weekend and it was very quick to remind me to mind my own loving business. I didn't even touch it :(

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Platystemon posted:

I pruned my Meyer lemon.

As someone who just bought a Meyer lemon based on this thread, appreciate the heads up. My Mexican lime tree may be dying but this lemon plant is thriving.

Reminds me of my Dragon fruit cactus. One of its thorns scraped my skin, didn't even break it, and it produced a horrible itching allergic reaction that took a day to go away.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I heartily recommend leather rose gauntlets that go to the elbow. I have also found -- your mileage may vary -- that wiping rose scratches with alcohol immediately after they happen helps avoid the immune reaction or whatever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Platystemon posted:

I also have some “hoosier banana” activity (i.e. Asimina triloba, the common paw paw).

I would have to go out of my way to pollinate it and the tree isn’t large enough that I want it to be fruiting, so blossoms are all it’s getting this year.

It looks like I also captured a mosquito—presumably not a mature female, or it would be more interested in blood than in nectar.

wtf it appears to have set fruit

This isn’t supposed to happen. There are no other paw paw around for pollenizers, and it’s supposedly self-incompatible. It doesn’t even have large numbers on its side to excuse flukes. There were I think four flowers total on the tree.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Found some lettuce on a walk yesterday

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Platystemon posted:

wtf it appears to have set fruit

This isn’t supposed to happen. There are no other paw paw around for pollenizers, and it’s supposedly self-incompatible. It doesn’t even have large numbers on its side to excuse flukes. There were I think four flowers total on the tree.

life, uh, finds a way

kafkasgoldfish
Jan 26, 2006

God is the sweat running down his back...

i am harry posted:

Found some lettuce on a walk yesterday

Guerrilla gardening for the win?

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I've fallen in a gardening hole, ELP.

My lil Peach Sorbet blueberry bush (twigs) is in the pot, I've ordered a pH tester, I've been watering it with filtered water until my water testing kit arrives (but still really tempted to get distilled water anyway), now I'm trying to find pine needle mulch for the pots.

Someone tell me I'm going overboard.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pine needles don’t do much for pH. Don’t bother.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Can we talk tomato trellises/supports? What works the best? I tried the Florida weave last year.

Bloody Cat Farm fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 24, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I am lazy and much prefer cages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Can we talk tomato trellises/supports? What works the best? I tried the Florida weave last year.

If you don't like the weave or cages, I've seen people have good results taking some cattle fencing and sticking it on a heavy duty and deeply driven stake (2x2). You can loosely tie it to the fence at the beginning of the season and weave it through to grow on both sides of it.