Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Finally came around to creating a new religion - late game would have been easier if I had kept the old one (Coptic), but at this point (1400ish) there wasn't much else left to do since I was nearly maxed out in buildings and tech and I felt like I was right at the edge of how big I could grow my empire before it getting ridiculous (it's still very much in map-painting territory, though).

Temporal Head of Faith seemed tempting since that'd mean more money (and possibly extra interactions?? not sure) but I noticed I'd have to spend time doing a lot of busywork so I went with Spiritual Head and Theocratic (because I didn't want to spend two hours handing out my church holdings). I did pick revocable realm priests though, which I feel is the bare minimum to keep a functional faith if you don't want it to keep losing fervor over your lovely priest getting cancelled for eating too much pork or whatever. I can finally put my big-brained kids to better use than High Almoner, too, and it comes with the added bonus of making them instantly count as part of the clergy so you can keep them out of the chain of succession with no opinion penalties.

I have no idea if it's possible to create a new faith that's astray rather than hostile to the rest of Christendom, since doctrines like Ecumenism don't appear to be selectable. The Pope threw a Great Holy War at me nearly the instant I made the switch, and true to form, they came in piecemeal fashion and got beaten easily, though they did form some doomstacks a few times.

I also went with Court Eunuchs for a culture tradition. I'm sure there are better traditions out there, but I didn't qualify for much else and I had good experiences using occasional snipped characters that wandered into my court as temporary keepers for extra duchies or counties that were weighing me down, since you know they won't be having kids, unlike the sterile, infirm 78 year old I once used for the same purpose, who somehow managed to pump out a heir before croaking. The Chief Eunuch court position can also be helpful for Intrigue-oriented rulers (basically a mini-spymaster), though I haven't really used much intrigue for the last 100 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is there a mod to make the ai better at doing crusades

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Holy poo poo, I must've hit some sort of critical mass in royal court language, cuz in the past two game years I've received over a dozen alerts of foreign realms adopting Arabic. It's very welcome, as it'll save me from having to conquer their asses!

Edit: And now over half of christendom has adopted Arabic, hot drat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Neurion posted:

focus solely on destroying kingdoms .... what I have in mind is to declare Kingdom level holy wars, usurp the title if it exists, destroy the title, hand out each individual county to one lowborn of my culture, then grant almost all of them independence, strategically keeping vassal counties that would put me in holy war range of my next target.

This is the way. Except rather than retaining those random counties, be a Clan or use the Warmonger or Pursuit of Power religious tenet to get free CBs without adjacency requirements.

Stairmaster posted:

is there a mod to make the ai better at doing crusades

Noooooope

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 24, 2022

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also if you fail a murder plot against someone with really high intrigue they should be able to fake their death and dramatically ambush you

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
The crusades should have a phase where the Crusaders rally at one location then proceed en masse to hit the target generally as one.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Sky Shadowing posted:

The crusades should have a phase where the Crusaders rally at one location then proceed en masse to hit the target generally as one.

Which didn't really happen in real life iirc?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Torrannor posted:

Yeah the armies functionally acting like sheep you have to herd(and most likely you will fail) is more closer to reality but that also is kind of not fun

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Torrannor posted:

In real life that place was Constantinople. The whole First Crusade as it happened would have been completely impossible without the support of the Roman state, and restoring Roman authority in Anatolia was a primary goal.

By the Third Crusade the well of Roman-Crusader goodwill had been sufficiently poisoned that the French (including the Plantagenet) contingent bypassed Anatolia and proceeded by sea to Palestine, but of course the Fourth went right back to a rendezvous at Constantinople :v:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Richard III grabbed Antioch in a very weird seife and literally could not convince half his army to leave Antioch. Then failed to convince his army to attack Egypt once they finally stumbled south

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Since chaplains can't be sent out of borders, by what means is Russia peacefully Christianized?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Related, I just formed the Empire of Russia in 1000. When would be a good time try for Vladimir's Second Choice?

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

also if you fail a murder plot against someone with really high intrigue they should be able to fake their death and dramatically ambush you

Someone suggest this one to Paradox incase they haven't considered it ...

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 25, 2022

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Am I crazy for pretty much always ignoring Intrigue for myself? I just find most of the intrigue traits to be kind of pointless compared to a lot of the other lifestyle trees. Even when I do have a decent intrigue character, it still seems like a lot of my hostile schemes fall apart, even when they say I have a 90% or better chance at succeeding. Just seems like a lot of stuff there is super high risk and not worth it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Intrigue is very good for ladder climbing within a single generation, or destabilizing a neighboring empire. (And sleeping with your daughter, if you must.)

Generally however that level of rapid advancement isn't necessary, the same sort of stuff can be done slowly over the generations, and playing as a vassal is fun.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

yeh intrigue is extremely powerful and you can almost do whatever you want scheme-wise with an easily achievable set of stats and perks

but there’s plenty of other extremely powerful alternatives too!

RadioDog
May 31, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Am I crazy for pretty much always ignoring Intrigue for myself? I just find most of the intrigue traits to be kind of pointless compared to a lot of the other lifestyle trees. Even when I do have a decent intrigue character, it still seems like a lot of my hostile schemes fall apart, even when they say I have a 90% or better chance at succeeding. Just seems like a lot of stuff there is super high risk and not worth it.

You might have just been unlucky with it. Getting stabby or pushing the whole lot down the stairs is a great way to deal with non-enemies that are in your way. Sometimes you fail and make more enemies. Really satisfying and makes for the best stories though.

Having my high intrigue (but lacking in every other way) failson figure out I'd murdered his mother is still one of my favorites. Making him my spymaster, smoothing things over, and going on to murder the rest of the family until he replaced me on the throne. A touching son-reconnects-with-father-over-something-they-have-in-common story. I'm sorry I overlooked you, boy!

RadioDog fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 25, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Intrigue was great for my rise of the Ghurids run because at that start date barely anyone has a large family; which lets you just murder your liege and everyone who inherits their title until you end up inheriting it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I want to grant an empire title (Francia) to one of my vassals (Sultanate of France) and have all the dejure vassal kingdoms go with it, but for some reason the Sultanate of Aquitane will not become one of his vassals, and I try to grant the empire title to Aquitane then he won't have France be his vassal. How do I fix this?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You need to make sure that all the land that vassal holds is within the de jure area of the title you're giving away in order for the vassals to transfer. Meaning you have to strip them of any land they hold directly and retract all vassals they have outside West Francia.

Alternatively if they're different ranks, you can just grant the King of France the Duke of Aquitaine as a vassal before hand, then they'll retain them when you grant the Empire title. But it sounds like Aquitaine has the Kingdom title already so that won't work for you.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Baron Porkface posted:

Since chaplains can't be sent out of borders, by what means is Russia peacefully Christianized?

If the AI is following a non-organized religion then there seems to be some kind of scripted pressure for them to find an organized religion to convert to the longer the game goes on. I'm not 100% how it works, but it definitely does happen at times.

It's hardly a guarantee though, and many areas will continue to follow a non-organized religion very late in the game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah, I reformed Kushite and a lot of my neighbors who were following pagan faiths ended up Kushite without me doing anything or them having Kushite provinces, so I think AI following pagan faiths are encouraged to convert to nearby organized religions. Likewise, of the two major Russian states in my game, Ruthenia (bordering the Byzantines) is Orthodox and Novgorod (bordering Sweden) is Catholic.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I've finally done it. I have achieved 'Lingua Franca'.

And I didn't even need to conquer the entire map! Just most of it!

Now to grant independence to every kingdom outside of my core empire and see not only how much faster the game runs, but what happens when my dynasts are let loose on the rest of the world!

Edit: Well, well, well! Look what I can afford to do!

Don't think I will, though, would be too much of a hassle to convert all the counties in my realm.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 26, 2022

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Neurion posted:

I want to grant an empire title (Francia) to one of my vassals (Sultanate of France) and have all the dejure vassal kingdoms go with it, but for some reason the Sultanate of Aquitane will not become one of his vassals, and I try to grant the empire title to Aquitane then he won't have France be his vassal. How do I fix this?

I see this bug all the time. I think it's often related to vassal title wars, but that might just be confirmation bias on my part.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

RadioDog posted:

You might have just been unlucky with it. Getting stabby or pushing the whole lot down the stairs is a great way to deal with non-enemies that are in your way. Sometimes you fail and make more enemies. Really satisfying and makes for the best stories though.

Having my high intrigue (but lacking in every other way) failson figure out I'd murdered his mother is still one of my favorites. Making him my spymaster, smoothing things over, and going on to murder the rest of the family until he replaced me on the throne. A touching son-reconnects-with-father-over-something-they-have-in-common story. I'm sorry I overlooked you, boy!

Are there any other active schemes besides Murdering someone? Like sure there are story items that pop up from time to time but in terms of interactions I can choose to pursue as a player it seems pretty limited.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Claim throne, fabricate hook, befriend, seduce and romance are the ones I can think of.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Another way to think of it: In a game that's supposedly about having as many family members being in positions of power as possible, intrigue is the lifestyle that gets them there the fastest and in the most quantity.

If you're more interested in painting the map, then no, it's not as useful.

edit: ^^^ also Abduct

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 26, 2022

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Claim throne, fabricate hook, befriend, seduce and romance are the ones I can think of.

I thought claim throne was a steward thing

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Serephina posted:

If you're more interested in painting the map, then no, it's not as useful.

Ah, maybe that's my problem.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Neurion posted:

Now to grant independence to every kingdom outside of my core empire and see not only how much faster the game runs, but what happens when my dynasts are let loose on the rest of the world!

Out of curiosity, how well does the game run when you're a very large empire? One of my biggest peeves with CK2 was that by the time I was a large reformed Roman Empire with all of Europe under me, the game ran very, very slow due to all the calculations for my courtiers and vassals. I haven't played CK3 yet because I'm waiting for it to get expanded further first.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Performance for gameplay is totally fine, never noticed anything wrong even when owning half the world after a few hundred years. The 3d models in the court are probably being rendered horribly inefficiently, but who cares. (I do, I'm on WINE and it's a slideshow argh)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Jarvisi posted:

I thought claim throne was a steward thing

It is in the stewardship tree but is a hostile scheme.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Serephina posted:

Performance for gameplay is totally fine, never noticed anything wrong even when owning half the world after a few hundred years. The 3d models in the court are probably being rendered horribly inefficiently, but who cares. (I do, I'm on WINE and it's a slideshow argh)

There are points in the mid-late game (eg when I'm in map painting mode) where my game will hang - the day won't advance for 5-10 seconds regardless of game speed. My PC isn't top spec but it's plenty enough for higher specced games

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Cantorsdust posted:

Out of curiosity, how well does the game run when you're a very large empire? One of my biggest peeves with CK2 was that by the time I was a large reformed Roman Empire with all of Europe under me, the game ran very, very slow due to all the calculations for my courtiers and vassals. I haven't played CK3 yet because I'm waiting for it to get expanded further first.

My PC is at least 5 years old and I don't have any top of the line hardware, and while auto-saving sometimes takes a few seconds I'm not seeing many other date hanging and I can smoothly run speed 5 observer games even with two massive empires on the map.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I never have any issues with CK3 apart from it taking a long time to load up. Once it's running it runs smooth.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I have a 9 year old computer that was mid-grade at the time and it generally does fine. I’ve had some issues with the game freezing on me and I’m not sure why. Seems to effect me only on certain days.

Like Sunday I pretty much couldn’t play it because the game would freeze after 30 minutes. Yesterday I played fine for over an hour. It’s probably my computer, but it was odd. Doesn’t happen that often though.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I have a 9 year old computer that was mid-grade at the time and it generally does fine. I’ve had some issues with the game freezing on me and I’m not sure why. Seems to effect me only on certain days.

I also have some random freezings, but is not common, it usually happens a few times after I load the game but than stops completely

But at very late game (like 300, 400 years in) the game does gets noticeably slower (but still completely playable), specially when Im zoomed in the map

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
whats a good easyish high intrigue start? its been a while since i played and i fancy doing some plotting

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Jose posted:

whats a good easyish high intrigue start? its been a while since i played and i fancy doing some plotting

Alfonso of Leon in 1066 is probably the easiest, he's in a strong position and has a ton of intrigue. If you want something a little less powerful, I recommend Abyssinia in 1066; you've still got 20ish intrigue, you're a Coptic guy just doing your own thing in eastern Africa, and you're usually safe to do a bunch of small conquests because the Muslim empires are probably going to be banging their heads against Spain and the Byzantines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Very new to grand strategy, probably spent about 30-40 hours in CK3 so far and really enjoying it, it's starting to click more and I am becoming more open to making mistakes and treating the game as an emergent storytelling platform. I enjoy the diplomacy/intrigue stuff the most as i haven't wrapped my head around the actual mechanics of the warfare (some minor conquests of neighbors, but find myself chasing/being chased around the map too often. Plus, it's expensive).

Anyway, while focusing on murder/incest/blackmail plots I haven't experimented with strategically marrying my children yet and I feel I'm missing out on a large element of the intrigue focus. Partially I am wary of being tied up in alliances that demand too much of me, but also because i find it hard to wrap my head around the power dynamics of the houses and families around me. How can I gain more information about rivalries/schisms/opportunities near me to situate myself for the marriage-oriented long game? I've sent my spymaster to find secrets in nearby courts and while that can provide hooks, it doesn't garner much knowledge beyond that.

I'm imagining I want to dig in more on the characters involved when I get a notification like "neighbor X just lost their war against neighbor Y" as well as poke around for aging rulers and investigate the line of succession. Beyond that, any other tips? The game obviously recommends candidates for marriage, I could probably dig into why the engine believes they would be advantageous for my house. I'm also sensing that matrilineal marriages help you acquire titles, and marrying off sons helps you gain alliances. Am I off base? I feel I'm on the right track but the game presents so much information with so many different mechanics and playstyles I thought I'd ask in here. My goal right now is to marry a daughter off to someone 1st or 2nd in line for a count-level title, get them to have kids who stand to gain the title and strategically pick off folks to absorb their court into my duchy slowly.

I started as Count Gundakar in Innsbruck in 867 (nice gold mine), am now around 940 AD and on my third ruler, situated with a younger but well developed leader as Duke, so with some extra time thanks to good health I think I'm well poised to build further. Played a shitload of Medieval Total War and AOE2 as a kid, so the concept of operating as a dynasty has been very fun to explore. Anticipating that if I can get better and am patient with this playstyle there could be a 'holy poo poo this house just took over East Francia when nobody was looking' moment within a century or so.

Jose posted:

Just saw this, I was recommended Count Gundakar 867, see above- finding it pretty easy, people leave you alone, there is lots of impassible territory around you, and the county has a gold mine that makes for a good nest egg to power schemes.