Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CH Science posted:

Found this place like 10 minutes from my house that produces recycled filament out of waste from I guess their large scale commercial prints and donations? Seems cool and I like both recycling and supporting local biz so I picked up a few different colors.

https://printeriordesigns.com/

Test benchy printing now and looking quite nice.

I've been looking for a local recycled filament source. Please post a photo of your new tiny boat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I was looking up "meme prints" a month or two ago and came across this one: NSFW swole Pikachu.

I am kinda tempted to print it and mail it to a mate of mine as a joke.

What support settings are people using for this

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

mattfl posted:

Are you ready for a rabbit hole?

Because once you look into this thing you’ll be gone for weeks.

So basically, it’s a fully enclosed high speed ABS printing machine lol

So start here

https://vorondesign.com/

Now, you can either self source all the parts yourself or buy a kit from the 3 or 4 companies that make them. Mine happens to be a Formbot kit, but LDO is another popular one, or you can press your luck with a random AliExpress kit.

There is a large large discord community that you need to be a part of if you want to get out of this rabbit hole. There’s a few Facebook groups too, as well as a small Reddit community, but really the discord community is where you’re gonna get all the answers you’re going to have, and there’s going to be questions lol I think there’s even a few discord mods on here as well.

Total build time to print time was approx 40ish hours for me and I’m hearing that’s a fairly common build time. To me it was fun, I had the whole week offa work and I basically worked on it everyday and loved it. There are seemingly endless mods for it and all kinda cool things for it.

I would not recommend this to anyone who has t already built or hasn’t worked on 3D printers before, def not a babies first 3D printer.

I bought it because I was tired of chopping up parts on my Prusa and because I like to build things.

I really wish the build time wasn't so stupid long on those, they seem really cool but I'm sick of tinkering with stuff to the point that if I get a job I'm interviewing for I might just buy one of the pre-assembled Prusas, either a mini or mk3s I don't know. All the fun has left printing for me ever since I have been struggling with upgrades and fixing warped beds rather than actually making stuff.

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

bird food bathtub posted:

This will make me feel somewhat better about using so much plastic, so I'll probably buy from them in the future.

cruft posted:

I've been looking for a local recycled filament source. Please post a photo of your new tiny boat!

First tiny boat with the recycled stuff looks like this:

I feel extremely :discourse: about it.

rPETG printed at 240/70c, 0.2mm (draft setting in sovol-forked-cura) layer height, 20% infil

CH Science fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 23, 2022

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Did my first 2 color print yesterday.

https://imgur.com/gallery/3xdk0ZC

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Roundboy posted:

Re: dick chat

I helped print a metric fuckton of flexi-dicks for a friend for giveaways. From 70% up to 200%

I can share the STL, as they apparently were VERY popular. They do not like being printed in lovely silk pla though.

I'm either printing these in PETG or ASA, haven't decided yet.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Historically petf has sucked for flexi things because of the right tolerance between each print in place segment.

Any stringing would make it moot. The STL I have is 'realistic' and the individual shapes needed an especially tuned printer

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

mattfl posted:

Dual filament voron? Is that even a thing? Large volume, enclosed, all metal hot end, dual filament, high print quality is the end goal for a second printer for me. Voron checks 4 of those boxes. S1 pro is probably the first printer to start with and print parts for the second.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

ilkhan posted:

Dual filament voron? Is that even a thing? Large volume, enclosed, all metal hot end, dual filament, high print quality is the end goal for a second printer for me. Voron checks 4 of those boxes. S1 pro is probably the first printer to start with and print parts for the second.

That sort of print can be done with a simple filament swap. Most vorons that do automatic filament swaps are using an Enraged Rabbit Carrot Feeder to do mmu stuff, so if you want to know what to look for.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Dr. Despair posted:

That sort of print can be done with a simple filament swap. Most vorons that do automatic filament swaps are using an Enraged Rabbit Carrot Feeder to do mmu stuff, so if you want to know what to look for.
I have no idea what you just said.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

CH Science posted:

First tiny boat with the recycled stuff looks like this:

I feel extremely :discourse: about it.

rPETG printed at 240/70c, 0.2mm (draft setting in sovol-forked-cura) layer height, 20% infil

Dang, that came out great. I'm sure you have a better printer than my Ender 3 but even so, that looks like consistent filament with few to no contaminants. Thanks for mentioning these folks!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

ilkhan posted:

Nah just a pause command put in the gcode to allow for a filament swap and then a resume. Worked perfectly though.

The ERCF is kinda like Prusa’s MMU2S system if I thinking correctly.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
nah ERCF is nothing like the Prusa one.

it actually works

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

insta posted:

it actually works

:drat:

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
As soon as I figure out some nagging auto z issues, I intend to start building a ercf.

This printer is such a time and money sink, jfc

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

mattfl posted:

Nah just a pause command put in the gcode to allow for a filament swap and then a resume. Worked perfectly though.

The ERCF is kinda like Prusa’s MMU2S system if I thinking correctly.
Enraged rabbit carrot feeder. Lol, who the hell named that?

Anyway, a quick YouTube video says that looks awesome.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Roundboy posted:

This printer is All hobbies are such a time and money sink, jfc

Fixt

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

DiHK posted:

I know that the fanciest printers can utilize a variety of resin materials for different outcomes/applications. Do hobby level printers have access to a variety of resin types? Do filament printers have that kind of flexibility?

Is there a materials primer I could look at?

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/materials-guide/properties-table/

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
MMU2 works fine.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

mattfl posted:

That looks really cool. I am going to deliberately not look into Voron stuff because I have enough projects to never complete.

...How big do Voron printers get though?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Serenade posted:

That looks really cool. I am going to deliberately not look into Voron stuff because I have enough projects to never complete.

...How big do Voron printers get though?

So mine is 350mm. I’ve seen 400 and up. I think you start getting into heating issues if you start going much higher.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

insta posted:

it actually works

Lol, that was just the easiest way I could describe what it was.

Do you have one? Thinking that might be next on the project list lol

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Well, the first dick print is done.

:nws: :nws:

Going to print a bunch of smaller versions scaled down to about 1" tall and then switch to white ASA for another full scale plus miniatures.

They're going to be in some goofy display of alternating dicks that she's putting together. Hopefully she'll send me a pic of the finished display. :lol:

Steve Youngblood
Mar 19, 2007

***Hollywood Cobbler***

I print these when swapping filaments

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

They're going to be in some goofy display of alternating dicks that she's putting together. Hopefully she'll send me a pic of the finished display. :lol:

The thread is going to need a copy of this photo too. Thanks in advance.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Is it worth it for me to offload my mars pro and get a Saturn?

I’ve been wrangling a project for two weeks, because of splitting and carefully aligning models, that would have taken two days with a larger bed

Gonna keep my mars 2 but the pro can go

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Making progress!

I am currently working to wire up the motors, and the print head.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Any suggested places to get an ender 3 s1 pro that doesn't involve a 6 week lead time or $80 shipping charge?

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Where are you located? Unless I'm missing something obvious on this page (which is entirely possible), it looks like Amazon US has at least a few in stock for immediate shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Creality-Ender-S1-3D-220x220x270/dp/B09T5VNNTQ

Little bit of a Prime Tax on that one, of course, but there's also the convenience factor if you happen to need to ship it back to them for any reason.

It also looks like the "Creality 3D Official" site, which may or may not actually be official but is still perfectly legit, has some available with free shipping:

https://creality3dofficial.com/products/ender-3-s1-direct-drive-3d-printer

Can't really find any info for vendors outside the US though, everything wants to default to shipping here.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
I moved my printer and now I can use it while NOT being hunched over because it isn't directly under the sloping roof. Also won't burn the house down any more if something happens, or at least not instantly. I'm not afraid any more to let it run through the night which finally allowed me to print a bigger slug. Like, 6 months after it was popular here?

Also this one is very awesome and I can highly recommend it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2738211

Here's my setup with very serious prints running, being able to stand in front of your printer is amazing.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

Where are you located? Unless I'm missing something obvious on this page (which is entirely possible), it looks like Amazon US has at least a few in stock for immediate shipping:

https://www.amazon.com/Creality-Ender-S1-3D-220x220x270/dp/B09T5VNNTQ

Little bit of a Prime Tax on that one, of course, but there's also the convenience factor if you happen to need to ship it back to them for any reason.

It also looks like the "Creality 3D Official" site, which may or may not actually be official but is still perfectly legit, has some available with free shipping:

https://creality3dofficial.com/products/ender-3-s1-direct-drive-3d-printer

Can't really find any info for vendors outside the US though, everything wants to default to shipping here.
US. Those are S1, not S1 pro. :)

RabbitWizard posted:

I moved my printer and now I can use it while NOT being hunched over because it isn't directly under the sloping roof. Also won't burn the house down any more if something happens, or at least not instantly. I'm not afraid any more to let it run through the night which finally allowed me to print a bigger slug. Like, 6 months after it was popular here?

[tig]https://i.imgur.com/zRezOYK.jpg[/timg]

Also this one is very awesome and I can highly recommend it: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2738211

[tig]https://i.imgur.com/XxMMa4n.jpg[/timg]
Totally printing one of these early on.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 25, 2022

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

ilkhan posted:

US. Those are S1, not S1 pro. :)

Well, poo poo. I'm a big fat dummyface, sorry!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I want to print a slug too at some point. Is there a specific search term on a specific site to look for the file for that one? Yeah I'm behind the times too but it's neat.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

This thread just keeps giving.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

mattfl posted:

Lol, that was just the easiest way I could describe what it was.

Do you have one? Thinking that might be next on the project list lol

I don't, I'd only use it for endless mode and runout sensors work well enough.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

RabbitWizard posted:

If you follow the improved flexi rex page it takes you to his GitHub, which has separate stls for each segment in a top and bottom half to assemble it. It also allows you to print it HUGE.

I am currently printing the first half of just the head at 350%. Takes up the entire 300mm print bed, and the rest of the parts will scale up as well.

It's going to be huge and I'm finally able to print it. Just wish I used a bigger nozzle

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

So dumb noob question: does a silent mainboard really make that much of a difference? Sovol SV01 (basically an ender I think?) prints wonderfully so far but the whining of these motors whirring away is gonna drive me, and more importantly my fiancé, loving nuts.

Would move it to the basement but I kinda like being able to monitor it without setting up a nannycam

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

It'll reduce the stepper noise, but the fans will still make a fair amount of noise.

Move it to the basement and/or put it on a paver with something that absorbs vibrations under the paver and it should be way less annoying.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yes, it reduces the stepper noise by a ton so that the fans end up being the loudest thing most of the time. It's a huge quality of life improvement if you're within earshot of your printers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CH Science
Sep 11, 2019

Okay cool. Got one on the way. Fan noise I/we can deal with, hoping that high pitched whine will at least be lessened with the upgrade. Thanks dudes.