Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Jack Trades posted:

Now he's a sweet and social boy, still a bit fat though.

Send good vibes.

Only a little. :mmmhmm:

Heal well, Caesar!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hail, Caesar!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Caesar made it fine after the operation...my wallet, on the other hand, did not. It's hosed up that they want 450€ for a simple benign tumor.

After he recovers I'm gonna have to figure out how to make him lose weight. Cutting the food isn't a practical option, he already eats properly and I don't really overfeed them, I guess I'll have to come up with a way to make him exercise.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The big cost is from the anaesthesia, iirc

Serenity Dove
Jan 29, 2008

If I had a Pikachu, it'd probably eat my stuff.
Yeah both our girls had tumour removals and Opal also needed antibiotics. So we’ve spent a good £400 plus on their medical care over the last couple of years. But they are so wonderful it was worth it. :3:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Glad your boy made it through fine!

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hurray for Ceasar!

We had to do the same thing for one of our girls some years ago. It was around 550$ (canadian) so I guess it's expensive everywhere for our babies :(

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I got into the habit of putting aside £1000/rat for surgeries, on account of two major ops is about the max that it seemed humane to put them through. Christ knows how much a similar surgery on e.g. a dog would be, but I guess they don't sprout tumours at age 2 in the same way.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
In our area we have a exotics vet that used to be the head vet of the zoo. Now he just works out of the back of a local vet office 2 days a week and you can only schedule by emailing his assistant directly. They tell you when to show up but are often times an hour+ behind. But he knows his stuff for rats and guinea pigs and other exotics, and he is like less than half the rate of the only other rat vet in the area I really trust.

Was $150 yesterday for examining one old rats abcess (decided not to mess with it surgically and just try amoxicillin), and trying tumor removal on the other old rat (unfortunately too metasticized in her belly and wasn't taking well to anesthesia to get out the benign one by one of her legs, so she's just palliative care now).

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
rest well, caesar.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Just be glad his surgery wasn't on the 15th of this month. Though, getting "stabbed" on that day would be appropriate...

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Et tu, Rattus?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Did I hear...

AN OPINION???

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

Did I hear...

AN OPINION???

Boop.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

I am a broken person who can desensitize himself (to a degree) to the human suffering caused by the war (because humanity is horrible), but I've had to come back to this goober in a sock who looks like one of my former rats three times and try not to cry.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Very much same here.

I hope that precious sock goober made it out alright.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
happy international rat day. i am celebrating with my rats

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/verminati/status/1511002532553887750

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Today is a national holiday! 🎹🐀

https://twitter.com/VanillaCherie/status/1514302406472970252

https://twitter.com/poodlewool/status/1514307914411872258

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hell yeah, Neil.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Just lost one of my girls. Found her a few hours ago. I feel like a failure. I noticed last week she was having a bit of trouble, making some sounds and breathing a bit fast, and I told myself I needed to get her into the vet again, and I just... forgot to do it. And now she's dead.

She was the best little rat. She was smart, and brave, and friendly, and loved to climb on my and explore and I'm going to miss her so much. She deserved better than me. But I loved her a lot and I'm glad I got to be part of her life.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.

GlyphGryph posted:

Just lost one of my girls. Found her a few hours ago. I feel like a failure. I noticed last week she was having a bit of trouble, making some sounds and breathing a bit fast, and I told myself I needed to get her into the vet again, and I just... forgot to do it. And now she's dead.

She was the best little rat. She was smart, and brave, and friendly, and loved to climb on my and explore and I'm going to miss her so much. She deserved better than me. But I loved her a lot and I'm glad I got to be part of her life.

I have been there and it sucks. Rats are very good at hiding illnesses and it makes catching the signs early hard. Sorry friend :(

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
i'm sorry for your loss. i disagree that she deserved better than you - it sounds like she couldnt have asked for a better caretaker. you gave her a good life.

Xeras
Oct 11, 2004

Only a few find the way, some don't recognize it when they do - some... don't ever want to.
I am down to 1 neutered boy and I wish I could get him company. There are females in my area does anyone have experience mixing neutered males and females? My boy seems like the type who could just get pushed around by 2 females.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Xeras posted:

I am down to 1 neutered boy and I wish I could get him company. There are females in my area does anyone have experience mixing neutered males and females? My boy seems like the type who could just get pushed around by 2 females.

My friend has mixed females and neutered males and it seems to work out fine. I haven't heard it causing any problems.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Xeras posted:

I have been there and it sucks. Rats are very good at hiding illnesses and it makes catching the signs early hard. Sorry friend :(

It feels both better and worse to discover that there's apparently not much I could have done anyway - there's only two vets I know of in the area that actually see rats that would have seen them and it turns out neither of them are working right now. None of the other vets in my area are willing to see new patients, esp. on short notice, or they don't see "exotics", and vets from further away aren't willing to consider taking us on.

One of the other girls is definitely sick as well... I'm giving her some leftover antibiotics from earlier this year and hoping they still do something because it doesn't seem like I'll be able to get any new ones before, uh... June, based on what the vets told me, if I'm lucky. I'm really worried about her. :( I keep having nightmares and waking up during the night and having to go check on them to make sure they're still alright and there's always a brief moment of panic every time one isn't in sight.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Sometimes... you finish the last bit of ice cream in a pint, and then you look over in the corner where your rat cage used to be...

:smith:

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
They're sweeties, but they can look quite menacing:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

They're sweeties, but they can look quite menacing:

Angy child

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Caesar likes getting into his observation stance and just...observing. Especially when I'm currently eating.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Caesar is a big ol' adorable chonk

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"We all... float... down here..."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I always had a feeling that big boy Caesar's eyes seemed weird, but I didn't pay much attention to it until today, when he was resting with a sunbeam shining straight at him and I couldn't see his pupil.
I went to check, dimmed the lights and shines a flashlight at him and yeah, neither of his pupils reacted at all when they should've contracted from the light.

It seems like he's totally blind and I had no idea despite having him for over a year now. I guess it explains why he was always so jumpy and stressed out before. Any idea what it could be?
The only blindness related thing I could find on rats was Cataracts but his eyes don't seem to have any white spots or anything like that from what I can tell, and he never had any eye related infection or physical damage.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 27, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My blind boy is asleep with his eyes open. Didn't even react to the camera flash.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I think my rats would live in my clothing drawers if I let them, and they are so adorable in their I'm tempted to, but I strongly suspect they are chewing holes in things every time they manage it. Curse my broken dresser making them impossible to fully clothes and my rats' rather impressive jumping abilities!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My clothes are still full of holes, I assume they would also chew holes if they got onto your bed or whatever? I have a hoodie which I had effectively donated to them and I only keep it now as some avant garde fashion since it's the very definition of "ratty".

In slightly less fun topics, I frequently dream that actually I still have rats, but for some reason I have a LOT of them and they've been neglected and/or malnourished and also breeding and now I have to wrangle like two dozen sick rats. Yikes. Like "oh this cage actually isn't empty at all it's FULL OF NEGLECTED RATS YOU'VE NOT FED THEM FOR TWO YEARS"