Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Aramoro posted:

We do a 5 part interview process 1 1/2 technical and then a few competency based ones we do try to make sure they're all on the same day though. I'm kinda conflicted on why we do this, it's so we have a panel of interviewers for senior folk but it's not just one huge interview with 4 or 5 interviewers in there.

In the before times it was an interview day where we just have you in, buy you lunch etc. But now it's just awkward zoom time.

Same. The last three out of four places I've worked at since ~2006 have done multiple interviews. Before Covid it was in person, 4-8 sessions, including a lunch with the hiring manager and a session with HR.
My current job did three remote interviews on three different days - one with the manager, two with technical peers grilling me on relevant skills and problem solving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Invalid Validation posted:

Agile just sounds like a buzzword managers use to make themselves sound important to a company run by boomers.

agile and everything like it is just software people reinventing the wheel for the sorts of workflow planning that actual engineering companies have been turning out projects with for decades now

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Kanban! Toyota! Good to Great! Agile! The Lean Startup! Toyota! Kanban!

Is it lunch yet?

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Slotducks posted:

Is it lunch yet?

ANDON! BoBs and WoWs! Red-X!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Slotducks posted:

Is it lunch yet?

No mention of Six Sigma Black Belts? For shame.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If you want to French up that beer you need to add a lot of butter.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Six Sigmas biggest problem is they only have 2 belts. Why not strain the metaphor? Yeah, I just got my six sigma orange belt. Saved $5 on lunch with a coupon after process mapping my way to Burger King.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

zedprime posted:

Six Sigmas biggest problem is they only have 2 belts. Why not strain the metaphor? Yeah, I just got my six sigma orange belt. Saved $5 on lunch with a coupon after process mapping my way to Burger King.

Wait what? My former employer had a list up of all the six sigma trained managers and there were more than two colors on that list. Black, brown and green off the top of my head.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Machai posted:

Wait what? My former employer had a list up of all the six sigma trained managers and there were more than two colors on that list. Black, brown and green off the top of my head.
drat looks like they took my idea. The track I was in 10 years ago ran fundamentals->green->black-->master black

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Sigma balls

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There are multiple positions only available to internal candidates with black belt certification in this fortune 500 company.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

EvilHawk posted:

I think I've talked about it before ITT but my current place has kind of implemented Agile... perfectly? The team - on their own - decide what they're going to do in a period of time. They get through that work and release it, or they don't and they either extend the iteration or kick everything else to the next one. We chat every morning about what we're working on and it takes less than 10 minutes. The things we release are small enough to be testable (most of the time) in the iteration. Of course it's software development so it is the perfect use case for Agile, but there's basically 0 problems with the approach.

Of course, we don't (and as far as I know have never) employ an Agile coach. The team settled into this on their own. Nobody is demanding we use planning poker or refer to stories instead of tasks.

You're not doing agile you're just taking a common sense approach to project management.

That common sense has some overlap with corporate bullshit is basically random coincidence.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Speaking of black belts, was there ever a Walker Texas Ranger / Martial Law cross-over?

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I don't really know anything about Six Sigma but I appreciate that whoever named it tried to make it sound like a late 80's martial arts action flick. They even have the belts!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Escape From Noise posted:

I don't really know anything about Six Sigma but I appreciate that whoever named it tried to make it sound like a late 80's martial arts action flick. They even have the belts!

Its dumber than you think, its 99.99966% efficiency, based on statistical analysis and falling within the sixth standard deviation (represented with the letter sigma). It is a methodology for producing manufacturing parts that are defect free which you may note is a nonsense concept when what your produce has no universal objective qualities it is measured against which is the space Agile slid into

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

Its dumber than you think, its 99.99966% efficiency, based on statistical analysis and falling within the sixth standard deviation (represented with the letter sigma). It is a methodology for producing manufacturing parts that are defect free which you may note is a nonsense concept when what your produce has no universal objective qualities it is measured against which is the space Agile slid into

So "We're having efficiency issues. Better pull everyone away from there work twice a week for the next several months to get to the bottom of this!"?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think there's room for organizational/efficiency structures. The problem starts when it gets evangelized and you start getting gurus (black belts and coaches). Like everything that is deemed to be good, like drinking water, it can turn into a cult and be considered a panacea for all ills that includes efficiency structures for corporations. The line is fine between good sense and cult but it's there.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

I took a 2 day lean class which was actually pretty helpful in giving me a framework to think about efficiency with things like inventory control, work processes, etc.

The weird thing was a few of the guys in the class said they took it every year and had some psychological need to argue about whether every example was unnecesarry motion or transport

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Tarkus posted:

I think there's room for organizational/efficiency structures. The problem starts when it gets evangelized and you start getting gurus (black belts and coaches). Like everything that is deemed to be good, like drinking water, it can turn into a cult and be considered a panacea for all ills that includes efficiency structures for corporations. The line is fine between good sense and cult but it's there.

Yeah, if your company makes 10,000,000 pieces of something a year as part of another chain its good to identify all the places you're losing inventory to see the value in solving them, even if they aren't happening on lathe itself.

It gets wild when a guy is paid 150,000 a year to find 20,000 dollars in savings, much less when that guy gets put onto something that say, has to be developed for the first time and thus has no parameters or you try to apply it to like a Business to Business pitch deck

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

I don’t know much about Japan or beer but is Kirin Ichiban popular there? Is it as omnipresent as Budweiser or looked upon poorly? I do know it is good with sushi but I could probably do better.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I don’t know much about Japan or beer but is Kirin Ichiban popular there? Is it as omnipresent as Budweiser or looked upon poorly? I do know it is good with sushi but I could probably do better.

Asahi Super Dry was the biggest for a while, but I think Kirin is regaining ground and Asahi is scrambling. I think Kirin is the most popular cheap brand (especially in Kansai), then Suntory The Premium Malts (regular Malts is garbage). The best cheap beer is Sapporo and Yebisu is the premium beer for all true hustlers. It can be a bit regional though. If you're in Hokkaido most places will have Sapporo or possibly Yebisu if they're premium. Heartland is Kirin's premium beer. I see it a fair amount of places here. The marketing is funny because it says Kirin on the label but they don't really do TV or print ads. You see it at like nicer cafes and stuff.

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 27, 2022

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Tarkus posted:

Most people* don't consider good sense to be the slippery slope to culthood.

*Talking about human people, not engineers, tech bros, C-level executives,middle managers and faulty AIs.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

The strategy is apparently to focus on making two fruited beers and sell mostly in bottles "until we're famous". We're a 500 liter brewhouse with 6 single batch FVs and a huge taproom/restaurant. Great strategy.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I'm just really glad that we've finally gotten past the era of GTD evangelists randomly poking their head into everything and talking about action lists and the two minute rule and whatever dumbass thing they've decided is the way to handle managing three tasks, two of which are lunch meetings.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Outrail posted:

You're not doing agile you're just taking a common sense approach to project management.

That common sense has some overlap with corporate bullshit is basically random coincidence.

That's the big brain thinking you get in this thread. It works? Clearly not Agile because Agile is bad must just be common sense!

Strangely people who did RAD and Waterfall always just said they were common sense as well.

I work in an Agile place, releasing our app every 2 weeks and it works great for delivering new features. We're going to do $12 billion through it this year and I don't think it would be as successful if we weren't doing the incremental releases.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
before agile it was believed to be impossible for a company to figure out how to submit deliverables twice a month

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Agile. Must be Italian.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

before agile it was believed to be impossible for a company to figure out how to submit deliverables twice a month

I'm sure they could but in reality almost no one did and not aligned across multiple teams.

Now a days anyone we hire already knows our business process and can slot right in to a team.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Alright, I think this iteration of the Agile derail has run its course. Give it a rest or I'll start handing out lean six sigma sixers.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Agile. Must be Italian.

Ah-gee-leh 🤌

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Alright, I think this iteration of the Agile derail has run its course. Give it a rest or I'll start handing out lean six sigma sixers.

Can I get a Lean Six Sigma Sixer? I need to rightsize my posting throughput by focusing on my core values and implementing a total quality management system to eliminate the gap between what I post and what people want to read. If possible, can it include this dynamic tetragonal value concentration solid?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Can I get a Lean Six Sigma Sixer? I need to rightsize my posting throughput by focusing on my core values and implementing a total quality management system to eliminate the gap between what I post and what people want to read. If possible, can it include this dynamic tetragonal value concentration solid?

Done. With an official one, even.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The URL I requested is now a global strategic objective so now the IT team has to explain to c-suite in another time zone why the URL is not done yesterday. Truth and Reconciliation meetings baybeeeeeee

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

I wonder what a "green belt project" is. The rest of the corpspeak is straightforward, belters lead or work on projects its fine, but green belters work on green belt problems

its a bad chart is what I'm trying to say

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sorry. I had a pretty headache inducing meeting.

"We need to make the French saison more French! How about white grape juice or eating pears? Making a flagship beer a fruit beer shouldn't be an issue."
Kiss it with tongue.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

I may have a partner to open up my own place. He works for our equipment supplier. May try phantom brewing at first in order to test the water.

Edit: Sorry for the inappropriate word choice. I really should have known better

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Apr 27, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Try the what kind of brewing now?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

champagne posting posted:

Try the what kind of brewing now?

It's called Gypsy brewing but they probably want thinking of a new name for it. It's making beer on other people's equipment. Big examples are Mikkeller and Evil Twin. I think some of them prefer using the term cuckoo brewers. Unfortunately brewing is populated by a lot of insufferable edge-lords who cry if you want to not be offensive.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 27, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Aramoro posted:

It's called Gypsy brewing but they probably want thinking of a new name for it. It's making beer on other people's equipment. Big examples are Mikkeller and Evil Twin. I think some of them prefer using the term cuckoo brewers. Unfortunately brewing is populated by a lot of insufferable edge-lords who cry if you want to not be offensive.

Ah so you rent equipment time. Why not call it Rent Brewing or Inverse Contract Brewing if you wanna sound fancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Aramoro posted:

Yeah. Fair enough. Sorry about that. I guess the other name is phantom brewery, but I think the image there is mostly of a sort of absentee landlord. I'll edit my post.