Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Ok so does the big guy look a bit like a raptor to anyone else or is it just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It looks so bad and I’m going to see it super drunk.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I will not watch it, but I will watch some scenes with the OG cast on YouTube in 6 months and get annoyed at how poorly they're written and directed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will tell you when I’m drunk in a thread dedicated to the bad movie lol

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I will tell you when I’m drunk in a thread dedicated to the bad movie lol

If u make the thread while drunk ill make u ik of said thread

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sounds good lol. It’ll be on June 14th or whenever it comes out

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

My bet is on all three, in a sad attempt at showing that there are stakes.

begun the clone wars have

edit: jurassic world 7: russian dinosaurs vs american dinosaurs. dinosaur tanks. gust starring sam neill but its his character from event horizon instead

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

happyhippy posted:

Machine guns. All you need is machine guns to take care of the dinosaurs.
Everyone wielding pistols.

I don't know why these movies just refuse to acknowledge how good humans are at killing things. There would be dino hunting safaris and every ammo manufacturer in the states would start charging insane prices for "dino killing" bullets which would literally just be regular bullets painted green.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Machine guns. All you need is machine guns to take care of the dinosaurs.
Everyone wielding pistols.

It's like the original Dawn of the Dead and that SWAT guy in the projects raid at the start, who just stands there going "uaaaaaaahhhhh" as the zombie is slowly shambling towards him while the other guy is like "mate, shoot him for gently caress's sake" over and over.

The films completely fall apart if you acknowledge that people can kill stuff.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8uR0t7vWA8

This might end up being the dumbest movie ever made

Creatively Bankrupt The Movie

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

edogawa rando posted:

It's like the original Dawn of the Dead and that SWAT guy in the projects raid at the start, who just stands there going "uaaaaaaahhhhh" as the zombie is slowly shambling towards him while the other guy is like "mate, shoot him for gently caress's sake" over and over.

28 Days Later seemed to have the most plausible zombie apocalypse. They're fast, crazy athletic, any of their fluids infect you, and they're all bottled up in Britain? Yeah I see it, napalm or no napalm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's also The Last of Us where the zombie stuff can go airborne.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Zombie 5 had the virus breaking containment by being transmitted via birds.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Shageletic posted:

28 Days Later seemed to have the most plausible zombie apocalypse. They're fast, crazy athletic, any of their fluids infect you, and they're all bottled up in Britain? Yeah I see it, napalm or no napalm.

I can see the Dawn of the Dead remake zombies causing serious problems. Anyone armed would take down a few of them will get shot down, but if there's a bunch doing a zergrush, then yeah, good luck.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
what if zombies, but it's an STD :yikes:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

There's also The Last of Us where the zombie stuff can go airborne.

Yeah, airborne spores that can infect even after they're killed will do it. Especially now that we've seen how Americans feel about wearing masks for safety.

Man, I hope the HBO show will be good.

precision posted:

what if zombies, but it's an STD :yikes:

It Follows is kinda 90% of the way there and was pretty great.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Colonel Whitey posted:

It's so sad what that franchise has become. I wish Pratt would do the hand thing at a dino and then just get chomped

It’s amazing how much better JP The Lost World and JP3 are (faint praise) after watching these lovely JW movies.

The concept of domesticated / “tamed” raptors is so, so dumb. It’s like “taming” a xenomorph.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They did that in one of the comics and it didn’t really work out lol.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
JW2 is the best one since the original precisely because it’s so stupid. Every JP sequel after the first one has been stupid, JW2 is at least smart enough to lean into that stupidity.

If you can’t enjoy the amazing fun-stupidity of the scene where the raptor realizes a bomb is about to explode or whatever, and then stops what it’s doing to run away from it with the bomb exploding in slo-mo behind it, I don’t know what to tell you

The only sin that movie committed was a failure to go full blown batshit insane and make the little girl have dinosaur DNA. At one point I was sure the movie was going in that direction and I was disappointed when they didn’t follow through with it

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 29, 2022

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Precocious clone girl was really hilariously stupid. I kind of wish they’d never mention her again, partly because precocious children in movies are annoying, but mostly because it would be hilariously stupid to drop such a bombshell development in between movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
JP3 is fun to revisit not only in light of the godawful JW movies, but also modern blockbusters in general. Sure, JP3 has its dumb moments, but there's a refreshing simplicity and straightforwardness to it all—that and it's so earnest. There's no ironic distance in the tone, no smugness in the characters, the action scenes feel grounded in reality (less so the hanggliding scene), the story isn't a convoluted mess, the goal of the film isn't to set up another film, there's tons of practical effects on display, etc etc. It's like a perfectly solid adventure-of-the-week episode in a Jurassic Park TV show—not remarkable, but it does the job.

Some of that is due to the fact that the script was thrown out 3 weeks before production, so keeping it so simple was a survival technique. But I think time has mostly been kind to it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The spinosaur phone scene is great.

"Sup"

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

OldSenileGuy posted:

The only sin that movie committed was a failure to go full blown batshit insane and make the little girl have dinosaur DNA. At one point I was sure the movie was going on that direction and I was disappointed when they didn’t follow through with it

It's kind of a rehash of the first JW where the indominus rex very clearly had human DNA too, but it must have gotten dropped at some stage of the film's development.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"Sup"

I remember my whole theater bursting out laughing at that moment. It was wonderful.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I loving wish I could’ve seen it in theatres. I had it on DVD. Saw it a bunch. I always thought it was kind of fine honestly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

edogawa rando posted:

World War Z book version (not the poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo film) had a decent excuse why most guns were useless with the US Army scene.
Soldiers teched up with the latest satellite real time data, machine guns, etc, against a horde in New York, and turns out its all useless as bullets not hitting zombie brains were wasted and the horde ovewhelmed them.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

happyhippy posted:

World War Z book version (not the poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo poo film) had a decent excuse why most guns were useless with the US Army scene.
Soldiers teched up with the latest satellite real time data, machine guns, etc, against a horde in New York, and turns out its all useless as bullets not hitting zombie brains were wasted and the horde ovewhelmed them.

That's so loving stupid it makes my head hurt.

How do zombies react to artillery?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

PeterCat posted:

Yeah the book pretty much said all of the armies weapons were worthless so the army designed some .22 caliber rifle that was only for headshots. It was really really really stupid. Pretty sure artillery will stop a zombie.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

B-Rock452 posted:

Yeah the book pretty much said all of the armies weapons were worthless so the army designed some .22 caliber rifle that was only for headshots. It was really really really stupid. Pretty sure artillery will stop a zombie.

This was New York city, I think they didn't want to ruin the buildings using artillery.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

PeterCat posted:

it's a really stupid book

happyhippy posted:

This was New York city, I think they didn't want to ruin the buildings using artillery.

high caliber or high volume small arms fire is also just going to turn them into an immobile mess. the world war z/zombie survival guide approach of taking this stuff and applying TACTICAL REALISM is dumb because it can't be done. Slow unarmed people are not dangerous to armies. They are fun monsters in horror stories, not an interesting tactical problem for officer school

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 30, 2022

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

"Sup"

Same with the Pterodactyl turning around in the foreground and looking directly into the camera by the river. Creepy as poo poo.

The raptor dream scene on the plane.

Dr. Grant digging through Dino poo poo and that orange t-Rex thing sniffs them before walking away got a good laugh from me.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
They're fictional monsters you can do whatever you want. Feeling powerless against them is what makes them scary. I loving hate world war z and all this bullshit theorycrafting it spawned.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgmnKsED-jU

as a fan of paranoid thrillers of this ilk, i hope this is good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FoneBone posted:

man, for the first minute of that trailer i'm like "yeah, yeah, period piece about relationship drama, looks fine" but then :stare:

i am so the gently caress in

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FoneBone posted:

i like Pugh so sure, why not.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i like Pugh so sure, why not.

My thoughts exactly. Not sure how Wilde is as a director, but the trailer is interesting enough.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
yeah that looks really great

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Feels like the trailer may have given a little too much away but it looks real good.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

LesterGroans posted:

My thoughts exactly. Not sure how Wilde is as a director, but the trailer is interesting enough.

Completely different kind of film but Booksmart was great and I've been looking forward to whatever she'd direct next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's gotta be aliens but also i wonder if it's like a stealth Stepford Wives remake/demake