Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I'm reading my way through Ghostmaker and apparently Comissar Gaunt is 2.20 meters tall, which is about 7'3.

This guy is wasted in the military, he should have joined the NBA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

euphronius posted:

Lords If silence is very good yeah . It’s kind of a marvel movie in how there is a main story focused on about 10 … sort of people but a lot of the book also moves the meta story forward and flash backs with lore important characters

Lots of body horror !! :)

Yeah it owns and it's gross in a cool way

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Geisladisk posted:

I'm reading my way through Ghostmaker and apparently Comissar Gaunt is 2.20 meters tall, which is about 7'3.

Yeah, a lot of people in those books are silly tall.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Geisladisk posted:

I always thought that Dan Abnett was prone to doing what a lot of older British/American people do and assumed (at least when talking about height) that 1 metre = 3 feet. If you convert that to 2.2 yards it's 6'6" to 6'7", which is probably more or less what he meant.

Or everyone's 7 foot plus, I don't know. Wouldn't be the first time scale was just wacky in a BL book.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Genghis Cohen posted:

I always thought that Dan Abnett was prone to doing what a lot of older British/American people do and assumed (at least when talking about height) that 1 metre = 3 feet. If you convert that to 2.2 yards it's 6'6" to 6'7", which is probably more or less what he meant.

Or everyone's 7 foot plus, I don't know. Wouldn't be the first time scale was just wacky in a BL book.

At least that explains why the new minis are about the same height as Primaris Marines.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there are fewer than 300 men in the united states over 7 foot. 40something of them play in the nba. this distribution has a very thin tail.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Genghis Cohen posted:

A guy just showed up who is described as 2.5 meters tall so I'm pretty sure Dan Abnett just isn't good at metric

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
38,000 years of women selecting for men taller and taller than 6’6” and here we are. Meanwhile the Emperor is from the dawn of mankind and is like 5’2” and just psychically projects himself as fuckin’ huge.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Genghis Cohen posted:

I think this is very much what is going on. With the exception that the decimal place just denotes inches. So 2.5 meters somehow becomes 6’5” rather than 8’2”

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Godsbane novel interests me as Hysh is a cool setting. Settler's Gain has been getting some attention in the RPGs so it's nice to see a book take place there.

lenoon posted:

Plot progression in AoS is also easy because AoS is planar fantasy. You can do virtually anything on high magic planar fantasy, because it has no boundaries like “continents” or “planets”. It’s also why narrative stakes are difficult on planar fantasy unless it’s within a set defined area or personal stories.

Say the realm of death expands and suddenly the realm of fire is at risk! Oh no! But plot twist actually next week the realm of fire expands! That’s very different to nation A v nation B or similar. Structurally different, narratives without boundaries or stakes.

This is not really the case. There are many boundaries, continents, and notable locations.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sinner Sandwich posted:

Hello again, thread!

I've realized after finishing Black Legion 2 that I just really like Chaos stuff, but I've noticed that there's a few themes that keep coming up in ADB's rendition of Chaos, most notably that none of the CSM actually like the Chaos Gods. Even the Word Bearers in The First Heretic seemed put off by the nature of Chaos, and shrugged their shoulders and said, "well, the gods are real, even if we don't like them". Lorgar's crowning moment in that book is even declaring that he serves the gods, but he won't be slaves to them.

This made a lot of sense with the Night Lords, who are pretty anti-Chaos even if they cynically see it as a useful tool to smash the Imperium. With the Black Legion, it kiiiiinda makes sense, in that Abaddon not wanting to be bound to any of the gods has always been part of his characterization, the focus is more on a kind of traitor marine solidarity and supremacist ideology (the Imperium is ours, we're gonna come back and take it, and also vengeance) and its all told from Khayon's point of view, so his perspective on Warp shenanigans colors the narrative.

But in general, I feel like the gods get a bad rap. Even their champions don't seem to like them. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation where Chaos itself is given a positive spin, or the gods come across better -- even if they're horrible psychic blobs of pure evil? Alternatively, if there's a writer other than ADB who does a good job with Chaos.

Otherwise, I'll just keep going with polishing off the series I have going on.

Also Assassinorium Kingmaker is kinda mid so far. There's a comic edge to it that I don't think works as well here as it fit in the Infinite and the Divine, but I like the idea of assassins playing politics, so imma keep at it.

You 110% want Lords of Silence. It's one of my favorite 40k books, hell favorite scifi books. They have a very unique in the setting outlook on chaos and their lives in general. It's just a really great book IMO.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That discussion on the Chaos Gods reminds me of the Godbinder description in the (amazing) DIE, by Kieron Gillen.

quote:

You don’t believe in gods.

I mean, they exist. Obviously. You owe the Fire God for that time he burned that fortress, and you’ve got that favour from the God of the Wild when you saved her rainforest... but believe? That’s a strong word.

Really, no, you don’t really believe in gods. You believe in tools. Useful tools.

The Godbinder is the D&D Cleric as demonologist.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shockeh posted:

That discussion on the Chaos Gods reminds me of the Godbinder description in the (amazing) DIE, by Kieron Gillen.

Sounds a lot like Fabius Bile Fabulous Bike.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Well if there's a blood train then I have no trouble believing in the fabulous bike:biotruths:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
That sounds like something loving Erebus would say.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Gillen writes good warhams. He gets the setting really well.

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Godsbane novel interests me as Hysh is a cool setting. Settler's Gain has been getting some attention in the RPGs so it's nice to see a book take place there.

This is not really the case. There are many boundaries, continents, and notable locations.
Is there a map yet?

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Arquinsiel posted:

Gillen writes good warhams. He gets the setting really well.

Is there a map yet?

Map of Settlers Gain?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Of whatever they're calling the setting.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Arquinsiel posted:

Of whatever they're calling the setting.

There are multiple for every realm.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've googled and the answer is "yes" and basically proves what lenoon said to be correct.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

In some definition of correct sure. I mean you can post map of 40k galaxy every time someone asks if there is any detail.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Arquinsiel posted:

I've googled and the answer is "yes" and basically proves what lenoon said to be correct.

The Age of Sigmar core rulebook contains a map of every realm complete with landmarks, cities and realmgates

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AnEdgelord posted:

The Age of Sigmar core rulebook contains a map of every realm complete with landmarks, cities and realmgates

Neat

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Here's the map they showed of the region that's central to the 3rd edition of the game.

The Soulbound RPG has been putting out some amazing maps for parts of the setting as well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Covermeinsunshine posted:

In some definition of correct sure. I mean you can post map of 40k galaxy every time someone asks if there is any detail.
That's one of the criticisms the global campaigns had back when GW ran them. Why do Necrons care about the 3rd war for Armageddon? "They just do :shrug:". It's also the same criticism that this very thread had about the setting being stagnant. It's part of the why these kinds of settings actually work well for player agency but make fiction either low stakes or Marvel comics summer crossover pointless.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Shockeh posted:

Which in turn sounds very much like a Terry Pratchett quote:

Witches Abroad posted:

Most witches don’t believe in gods. They know that the gods exist, of course. They even deal with them occasionally. But they don’t believe in them. They know them too well. It would be like believing in the postman.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cooked Auto posted:

Here's the map they showed of the region that's central to the 3rd edition of the game.

The Soulbound RPG has been putting out some amazing maps for parts of the setting as well.

They also show in zoomed in maps and such for more details in some stuff.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Just started reading the new Dawn of Fire, but apparently my local Barnes and Noble didn't get the release date memo for the new Huron Blackheart novel that went on pre-order today and they are holding a copy for me I'm going to get right now. More excited for it than Dawn of Fire so I'm gonna dive into it. Might check your local stores to see if they have a copy if you want it early as well.

I will say that at the start of Throne of Light the chaos dudes see a very very interesting vision of the future that implies some truly massive changes to the setting if it did come to pass...

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

D-Pad posted:

I will say that at the start of Throne of Light the chaos dudes see a very very interesting vision of the future that implies some truly massive changes to the setting if it did come to pass...

Betteridge's Law of Fantasy Prophecies

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Ah good I was wondering why there wasn’t an order link with the update.

I assume this came and went? I checked today and never saw the book come up

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The point with planar fantasy isn’t that there aren’t places, it’s that there are effectively infinite places. A city burns, a continent is wiped out, there’s another one around the corner, the realm is functionally infinite as it lacks conceptual boundaries we can latch on to. A planet is finite, the old world was finite, so it really matters when a capital P Place is destroyed.

I’ve been reading AoS fiction and it isn’t bad! It’s enjoyable for what it is. It’s interesting that the Gotrek books are probably the best of them - because Gotrek is a tenuous but viable link for us to a world with recognisable characteristics.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

lenoon posted:

Plot progression in AoS is also easy because AoS is planar fantasy. You can do virtually anything on high magic planar fantasy, because it has no boundaries like “continents” or “planets”. It’s also why narrative stakes are difficult on planar fantasy unless it’s within a set defined area or personal stories.

Say the realm of death expands and suddenly the realm of fire is at risk! Oh no! But plot twist actually next week the realm of fire expands! That’s very different to nation A v nation B or similar. Structurally different, narratives without boundaries or stakes.

My response to this is that nothing ever matters in baseline Warhammer fantasy. Oh no, chaos is invading! My favorite city, praag, is under seige!

Again!

And again and again and again!

Boy I sure do care about praag, it would be such a shame if anything at all happened to it permanently!

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Molothecat posted:

I assume this came and went? I checked today and never saw the book come up

There was apparently and it's all sold out.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/the-imperial-infantrymans-handbook-pb-2022

Like what the hell GW/BL I want to give you my money!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sounds like they need to go make an offbrand sigil

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Ah I got wooshed.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 2, 2022

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Realms are not infinite and the stories told are generally in the same areas as the ones with notable maps and locations.

Also I just finished the new Gotrek novel Soulslayer and am starting to expect things that will come next. Namely the revival of the Khazalid Empire (The major fallen dwarf nation in the back story)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

bob dobbs is dead posted:

sounds like they need to go make an offbrand sigil

The closest thing was the Allpoints the Island between Realms that connected to all of them. It’s currently held by Chaos and is the seat of power for Archaon.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
rereading eisenhorn in preparation for bequin/magos and it reminded me, is ravenor pronounced rav-enor or raven-or?

also i was extremely surprised to see an r word in xenos, definitely didn't remember that :v:

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I call bullshit on this "to big do not care". Do people really care about places instead of people and if plot is interesting? Because the fact that it is easier to imagine Altodrf as compared to say Brightspear. gently caress do I care if Altdorf burns? I only care if Volkmar survives. Same way, I can care if Gardus Steelsoul throws evil capitalist people out of his property. Also, as mentioned above empire had the endless number of expendable villages and towns to be destroyed by beastmen so eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

moonmazed posted:

rereading eisenhorn in preparation for bequin/magos and it reminded me, is ravenor pronounced rav-enor or raven-or?

also i was extremely surprised to see an r word in xenos, definitely didn't remember that :v:

Sorry, what's an r word in this context?