Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

On the brimstone topic has anybody heard a confirmation about what platform it's going to be put on?

Integrating a new weapon on a drone that hasn't had support for it before is kinda non-trivial even if a hot war makes it go faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011
Russia, Belarus Form New USSR, Call On Ex-Soviet Nations to Join

quote:

Russia's President Vladimir Putin and Belarus' President Alexander Lukashenko reportedly have plans to strengthen the "Union State" stipulating the close cooperation between the two independent states to attract other countries into the supranational organization, according to Belarusian media.

They should keep calling their alliance the Union State, I'm sure that won't be confusing at all and won't make for an even more confusing acronym.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009
Zelensky's update on today's events, notably the $33 billion from the US and where it's going, Bulgaria's support, Russia's golden anti-PR move of attacking Kyiv whilst the UN Secretary General was in town, and the first 10 butchers of Bucha have been identified:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1519784230796025859

I don't know how much Zelensky writes for his own speeches, but whoever is writing these deserves their own medal. Succinct, impassioned, using strong language effectively, just gold standard of political discourse.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Wildeyes posted:

They should keep calling their alliance the Union State, I'm sure that won't be confusing at all and won't make for an even more confusing acronym.

:ussr:

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ItsBorys/status/1519692154716753922

Not sure if he's amused by this or not, lol.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Orthanc6 posted:

Zelensky's update on today's events, notably the $33 billion from the US and where it's going, Bulgaria's support, Russia's golden anti-PR move of attacking Kyiv whilst the UN Secretary General was in town, and the first 10 butchers of Bucha have been identified:

https://twitter.com/ChristopherJM/status/1519784230796025859

I don't know how much Zelensky writes for his own speeches, but whoever is writing these deserves their own medal. Succinct, impassioned, using strong language effectively, just gold standard of political discourse.

Per the times article earlier today he writes them all pretty much solo with some input from his advisors. He knows his role is to be the statesman of Ukraine and plays it as well as he can, sometimes to the point where it comes off insincere (by his own advisor's measure (again from the times article))

A historically uncommon combination of man and moment.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
$33 billion is roughly half of Russia’s annual military expenditure. Granted there some differences in purchasing power but that would be more than offset by all the poo poo Russia has to pay for that can’t impact the war.

It’s a pretty clear sign that whatever successes Russia has in the Donbas in the short term is unlikely to be indicative of their long term prospects. If Ukraine can slow them right down without committing additional forces they’ll have plenty of time to train a very effective reserve force to throw Russia out later in the year.

Wildeyes posted:

Gotta keep the tankies on side.

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I probated it because it felt unnecessarily masturbatory in talking about Russian war casualties.

And? The only good fash is dead fash. That's a fairly unambiguous and uncontroversial statement.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

NecroBob posted:

And? The only good fash is dead fash. That's a fairly unambiguous and uncontroversial statement.

It's different when instead of active participants in a fascist party they're 19 year olds who've had little options.

jmnmu
Nov 21, 2004
f

NecroBob posted:

You seem to have a really simple view of the world. Normal people that never wanted anything to do with fascism or war get conscripted into fascist armies. De-humanizing Russian people isn't going to make anything better, it will make you a shittier person though.

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

wet_goods posted:

I swear to god I this was the dbz character and was extremely confused
It looks like this:

And yes, between the name and the :discourse:, I have to suppress a chuckle every time I see it in the store.

ummel posted:

https://twitter.com/ItsBorys/status/1519692154716753922

Not sure if he's amused by this or not, lol.
Tremendous 'it's a hip-hop operating system' energy from this.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

FishBulbia posted:

It's different when instead of active participants in a fascist party they're 19 year olds who've had little options.

Your definition of active is suspect, though it is a shame they are going to die but I am not going to shed a single tear over them. No one except their mothers should.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

This is an actual trade offer, they’re selling alleged SU-34 fragments, signed, for $1000.

If I had an extra stack, I’d be all about this.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

Dont forget the fact the russian army is full of non russian conscripts

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Rumour, I can’t find other sources.
https://mobile.twitter.com/lilygrutcher/status/1519801775905284096?s=21&t=7MJ1GlWNDmlywdVvMch51Q

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Despera posted:

Dont forget the fact the russian army is full of non russian conscripts

Yeah, even without the ethnic/national angle, most of these people aren't from Moscow or St. Petersburg.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Though actually held back to ensure there's enough military strength to rapidly put down a riot/coup attempt in Moscow

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

NTRabbit posted:

Though actually held back to ensure there's enough military strength to rapidly put down a riot/coup attempt in Moscow

Those tanks could use some javilins.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Russia, much like Ukraine, has far more military equipment then it could ever reasonably operate in combat.

Basically end of HoI production stockpiles

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
According to a quick googling the US has something like 1200 F-16's, and Wikipedia says

quote:

Because the USAF has steadily upgraded its F-16 inventory, it will sometimes sell older aircraft it considers obsolete as surplus Excess Defense Articles (EDAs) or as "knockdown" aircraft to supplement spares inventories.
So yeah handing some over probably makes sense.

FishBulbia posted:

Russia, much like Ukraine, has far more military equipment then it could ever reasonably operate in combat.

Basically end of HoI production stockpiles
Much of it in reserve is probably in poor condition though

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Cicero posted:

Much of it in reserve is probably in poor condition though

However, because squadrons are working up for F-35, there are now some fully updated F-16:s that are in operational condition being freed up. Something like 200 last year.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Remember the deleted grain theft bit? I wonder if anyone has seen a time/geolocation on this video

https://twitter.com/expatua/status/1519733107024400385

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Remember the deleted grain theft bit? I wonder if anyone has seen a time/geolocation on this video

https://twitter.com/expatua/status/1519733107024400385

Dont know whats worse, the grain aquisition or the 18 wheelers in the left lane

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Crow Buddy posted:

Your definition of active is suspect, though it is a shame they are going to die but I am not going to shed a single tear over them. No one except their mothers should.

Preventing the creation of orphans, destruction of a country and culture by whim of an imperialist merely to assuage his fears of liberal influence on the doorstep of his autocracy isn't particularly difficult to support.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FishBulbia posted:

I mean, that's probably a lot of active fascists, honestly. Fascists tend to, and have historically tended to be young people who don't have a lot of options or don't feel like they do.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Just in time for the Russians to dig the M3 Lees and the P-39 Aircobras out of storage!

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

How soon until Biden can sign the lend lease bill into law?

Also it doesn’t really matter much if he also doesn’t get the 40 billion he needs to load into the hopper to make it all work. US tapped all the pre approved funds.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kraftwerk posted:

How soon until Biden can sign the lend lease bill into law?

Also it doesn’t really matter much if he also doesn’t get the 40 billion he needs to load into the hopper to make it all work. US tapped all the pre approved funds.

Isn’t the point of lend lease that he doesn’t need funding since it’s just a loan that the us will be “reimbursed” for in the future? For reference on what “reimbursement” looks like, the US “collected” by being able to use UK airfields and by structuring a loan with such small payments that the final one was made in 2006.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

FishBulbia posted:

So you're saying they're just.... Following orders?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Charliegrs posted:

So you're saying they're just.... Following orders?

No. I'm saying celebrating how many Russians die in Putin's war is in bad taste. Especially saying that this war is cool because its also killing Russians.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/natseccnn/status/1519864007972339714?s=21&t=c5mudKHBydQchT6TsaT-GA

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Zero_Grade posted:

It looks like this:

And yes, between the name and the :discourse:, I have to suppress a chuckle every time I see it in the store.

Tremendous 'it's a hip-hop operating system' energy from this.

Oh holy gently caress lol. I totally didn't realize that :discourse: was the Vegeta chef, probably because I usually throw it straight into a jar for storage.

I'm assuming it's also a staple in Ukraine?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Wait the hell:

quote:

The 22-year-old was working with a private military contracting company when he was killed on Monday. The company had sent him to Ukraine, and he was being paid while he was fighting there, Cancel's mother, Rebecca Cabrera, told CNN.

I have not heard of private military contractors fighting in Ukraine. Is this a new thing? Has this been talked about before and I just missed it?

I have so many questions, how many? Since when? Who's paying? Is it just US contractors? Feels weird as well when there are ex overseas military volunteering, when there is also military contract work. like not a fan of military contractors but sort of feel like going through them may make more sense just logistically?

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 29, 2022

Capri Sunrise
May 16, 2008

Elephants are mammals of the family Elephantidae and the largest existing land animals. Three species are currently recognised: the African bush elephant, the African forest elephant, and the Asian elephant.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh holy gently caress lol. I totally didn't realize that :discourse: was the Vegeta chef, probably because I usually throw it straight into a jar for storage.

I'm assuming it's also a staple in Ukraine?

You're not a continental European if you're not well acquainted with Vegeta.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

dr_rat posted:

Wait the hell:

I have not heard of private military contractors fighting in Ukraine. Is this a new thing? Has this been talked about before and I just missed it?

Don't know the details. Might have been a case like those "special set of skills" guys where you can pay 50k to get someone out of a city near the front.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

The worst Cancel culture. RIP.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Good read on Artillery Logistics in this war:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1517959072791805953.html

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MatchaZed posted:

The worst Cancel culture. RIP.

Yeah dude sounded like he just wanted to do some good.

RIP. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Orthanc6 posted:

Also learned something real special from the Moskva sinking, apparently the Soviets didn't bother to compartmentalize their surface ships into water/firetight sections like everyone else. Fire and flooding can spread dangerously even on a properly maintained and sealed ship when it's damaged. If Russian design and damage control practices are as bad as they seem all of their ships are literally powder kegs.

Late reply but yeah that would change things. A Brimstone could actually stand a better than Clancychat chance of burning up one of their ships then.

Still its a missile geared more towards anti swarm scenarios than taking out big ships so don't get your hopes up too high here.