Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I dunno, LA Vice looks pretty good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

This arrived in the mail earlier today. Photos are using my duvet as the backdrop.

The slipcase box

Side 1 of the poster

Side 2

A book with a bunch of the original storyboards

A foreword from John McNaughton

Some storyboards in the book

If you've seen the film, you might recognise what scene this is storyboarding

A book of essays

A half dozen art cards. The image on the other side is the one that's on the front of the box

Disc 1

Disc 2

Oh, and this card was in the case too:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Holy poo poo those storyboards

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I really only wanted the standard version, but now I may get that collector's edition for the storyboards alone.

I love storyboards. Every movie should come with a featurette that's just the storyboards, or a book of storyboards.

Criterion's Repo Man has Alex Cox's original comic/storyboards he used to pitch the movie, and it's awesome.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I read up on it and aside from the subject matter apparently it's just boring. Which if you're going to have the sheer audacity and complete lack of taste to make something like that (especially in the early 90s) at least make it interesting. I'm not someone who is easily offended by trashy exploitation movies and the like but holy poo poo does that one go too far. I'm baffled that anyone thought "Yeah let's put this out. It's a lost classic!".

Junk Food Dinner reviewed LA AIDS Jabber back in 2018
http://www.junkfooddinner.com/2018/05/jfd416-buddies-city-in-panic-la-aids.html

They thought it sucked, but if I recall correctly it led to a month or so of amusement due to the the director calling their hotline demanding that they stop showing his movie.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

That description makes this sound unbelievably trashy

Hell, you don’t have to look any further than the title to know that.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

people getting real confident now that Ebola Syndrome has a UHD release

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Are there any rumors of Curse of the Crimson Altar getting a decent American bluray release?

edit: wait, there is a bluray release under the title The Crimson Cult. Wikipedia says that Curse of the Crimonson Altar was edited and released as The Crimson Cult. So would the The Crimson Cult bluray have less content than the Curse of the Crimson Altar DVD? Amazon lists both of them having a run time of 127 minutes, but Wikipedia lists the movie's runtime as 89 minutes, two minutes longer. So are both of those edited?

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 27, 2022

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Kinda annoyed to discover that these Indiana Jones individual steelbooks look way cooler than the ones I got in the full set.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Are there any rumors of Curse of the Crimson Altar getting a decent American bluray release?

edit: wait, there is a bluray release under the title The Crimson Cult. Wikipedia says that Curse of the Crimonson Altar was edited and released as The Crimson Cult. So would the The Crimson Cult bluray have less content than the Curse of the Crimson Altar DVD? Amazon lists both of them having a run time of 127 minutes, but Wikipedia lists the movie's runtime as 89 minutes, two minutes longer. So are both of those edited?

As far as I know, there is no 127 minute cut of the movie. Both versions are uncensored, but The Crimson Cult for some reason had the score re-recorded in the '80s with synths and that's what's on the US blu-ray.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

ruddiger posted:

I dunno, LA Vice looks pretty good!

Personally I'd rather take my chances with the Maniacs and Jabbers than the LAPD.

Iron Crowned posted:

Junk Food Dinner reviewed LA AIDS Jabber back in 2018
http://www.junkfooddinner.com/2018/05/jfd416-buddies-city-in-panic-la-aids.html

They thought it sucked, but if I recall correctly it led to a month or so of amusement due to the the director calling their hotline demanding that they stop showing his movie.

Okay that's pretty funny.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

What's so trashy about people in LA having a reasonable discussion about a health issue?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Happy Hippo posted:

What's so trashy about people in LA having a reasonable discussion about a health issue?
It stops being a reasonable discussion when you jump out of a bush with a syringe.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
That movie would be redeemed for me if every single time they refer to the perpetrator in the movie, they call him by his full title of "The L.A. AIDS Jabber".

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’ll buy it because I’ve lost all self control.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Happy Hippo posted:

It’s very flippant to refer to important policy discussion as “jabber.”

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

As someone who bought the ashes of a dead member of one of my favorite bands, this seems pretty tasteless. :v:

(Edit: the Frogs fan inside me is loving cackling, though)

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 28, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Yeah that's not great. I understand the value in preserving offensive trashy exploitative movies, and even the fun in watching them. So I don't think they shouldn't release that or people shouldn't buy it. But the merch does make it seem like they're fully on board with the movie mocking AIDS

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m assuming the people who’d want that pen are the same people who still find South Park funny.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Lol yeah that pen is just a bit too overboard. Preserve the movie all you want, but maybe not merch like that. Though if they were donating the proceeds to aids preventative research or support groups for the unhoused that can’t afford treatment for pre-existing conditions that would be something even if they product is still gross.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah I wasn’t against giving the film a watch but uhhh I ain’t buying it if that comes in the only version it’s available in

When Ebola Syndrome had a less trashy restoration release

Might get Suburban Sasquatch tho omg

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Chris James 2 posted:

Might get Suburban Sasquatch tho omg

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I can still hear the stock yeti sound effect in my head whenever Suburban Sasquatch is mentioned.

UrruughUUURRGH! UrruughUUURRGH!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Those Henry storyboards are really gonna get me to triple dip on this drat movie oh lordy (quadruple dip if we want to count my vhs copy)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Aw man Henry isn't on the US site?

Lol nvm I already ordered it on diabolik awhile ago

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 28, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m assuming the people who’d want that pen are the same people who still find South Park funny.

You could easily say that about the movie itself.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Now that you mention it, wasn't there an old episode of South Park where Cartman contracts AIDS and then gives it to Kyle via his blood? Maybe that episode was inspired by the Jabber.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

Now that you mention it, wasn't there an old episode of South Park where Cartman contracts AIDS and then gives it to Kyle via his blood? Maybe that episode was inspired by the Jabber.

Yeah, he uses a syringe to pour his blood in Kyle's mouth while he was sleeping.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CPL593H posted:

Yeah, he uses a syringe to pour his blood in Kyle's mouth while he was sleeping.
:yikes:

I'm glad I don't watch South Park anymore!

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Rageaholic posted:

:yikes:

I'm glad I don't watch South Park anymore!

I think that episode was over 10 years ago now since I was in college when that came on. I cannot believe I'm saying this, but it was more tasteful than you are imagining.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’ve got a Jewish friend who had to put up with years of “ironic” Jew jokes from mutual friends thanks to the show, so South Park, its fans, and its creators can go gently caress themselves.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve got a Jewish friend who had to put up with years of “ironic” Jew jokes from mutual friends thanks to the show, so South Park, its fans, and its creators can go gently caress themselves.

Same. I'm also part Asian, so the Chinese guy turning up with the "Mongorians" poo poo loving sucked. I'm the only person the Jewish guy in my year level has kept in touch with, funnily enough, because I was one of the few who didn't constantly make lovely Jew jokes.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 29, 2022

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Arrow announced their July releases

If you're in the UK or have region-free:
limited edition variants of 4K Tenebrae, including Unsane (the alternate US cut)

Everywhere:
The Righteous
limited-edition The Sacred Spirit
limited-edition Giallo Essentials: Black Edition (this set's three films: Smile Before Death, The Weapon The Hour The Motive, and The Killer Reserved Nine Seats)
Hell High

Synapse announced the 4K Tenebrae for the US, also in July but coming two weeks later

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Arrow announced their July releases

If you're in the UK or have region-free:
limited edition variants of 4K Tenebrae, including Unsane (the alternate US cut)

Everywhere:
The Righteous
limited-edition The Sacred Spirit
limited-edition Giallo Essentials: Black Edition (this set's three films: Smile Before Death, The Weapon The Hour The Motive, and The Killer Reserved Nine Seats)
Hell High

Synapse announced the 4K Tenebrae for the US, also in July but coming two weeks later

Always good to see more Argento in 4k (and Tenebrae is my favorite of his, the Synapse blu is fantastic, but I will upgrade). Hope Inferno 4K is released soon.

Are the US rights to 4 Flies still a mess? Might just hope for a UK 4k disc.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Tenebrae already looks stunning on the Synapse blu-ray, I'm sure it's even better in UHD but I dunno if I'd upgrade right now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm tempted to get the arrow uhd to match the other ones I already got, but getting the synapse would be like 20 bucks cheaper lol

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Hmm the Synapse cover is ugly as hell but the Arrow one is boring. What a decision.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I’m probably just getting Giallo Essentials to complete my collection. Waiting to see what the Vinegar Syndrome announcements are before I order though

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 29, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I’m probably just getting Giallo Essentials to complete my collection. Waiting to see what the Vinegar Syndrome announcements are before I order though

This month's VS stuff will all be partner labels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

This month's VS stuff will all be partner labels

Yeah, I saw there's going to be like 11 of them announced. I've loved the few times I've gotten stuff from partner labels (Tragedy Girls, Knife+Heart and Her Smell; I keep thinking about getting I Do Not Care If We Go Down in History As Barbarians or Rebels of the Neon God but I keep waffling on if I should wait for the half-year sale)