Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

zoux posted:

Is there a term for that wry British self-aware writing style that Douglas Adams and Terry Pratchett do? I ask because Stross has always struck me as a poor imitator of that style.

They're all riffing off of wodehouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They're all riffing off of wodehouse

Yes, but Jerome K Jerome precedes even Wodehouse? I’d say Three Men in a Boat influenced English humor like nothing else. The scene with the German professor, oh God, I’ve never read anything funnier.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Three Men in a Boat is one of my favourite books of all time.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Lathe of Heaven by Ursula K Le Guin - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087X6Z1GS/

Peace on Earth (From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy #4) by Stanislaw Lem - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008533DBW/

Armauk
Jun 23, 2021

Nitrousoxide posted:

Working my way through "The Dark Forest" and Luo Ji just blowing tons of money and resources on his quest to find his dream girlfriend as a Wallfacer is just hilarious to me Not even an ounce of desire to assist with saving humanity, just pure hedonism. I can respect the guy. He knows what he wants and doesn't give a gently caress.

Never understood the focus of him finding his waifu for the first half of the book. I'm glad that ended at the half-way mark, and the series got progressively better.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You don’t understand why a selfish self-absorbed responsibility-averse guy suddenly given absolute power and a (as far as he can tell completely arbitrary and mistaken) task to save the world would instead turn his power on selfish stuff?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
a funny thing about that series is how absolutely anybody with the right knowledge who thinks about it just ends up going 'oh this is loving hopeless isn't it. oh well, might as well enjoy it while I'm here'

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Larry Parrish posted:

a funny thing about that series is how absolutely anybody with the right knowledge who thinks about it just ends up going 'oh this is loving hopeless isn't it. oh well, might as well enjoy it while I'm here'
There's that one guy! Whatshisface, the CIA guy (Thomas?) spends the entire trilogy doing his actual goddamn best to not only fight off the Trisolarans but make humanity thrive.

without spoilers, poor dude.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

HopperUK posted:

Three Men in a Boat is one of my favourite books of all time.

It's incredible how a book that old can still be so fresh. Gods, all the stuff they go through even before they get to the boat.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So I just started Revenger and it seems like the sci-fi version of the fantasy trope with a kid with hidden talents being pulled into Big Things.

I love this poo poo. Does anyone really write this kind of SF/Fantasy anymore? I feel like I've read most of the older stuff growing up. Not sure if there's anything newer.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's time to enter the terrifying world of MUDs and MOOs :getin:

Oh boy. I own and have read this one. It's, uh, a book.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Finished With the Lightnings (book 1, RCN/Lt Leary series) by David Drake yesterday. Actually read most of it in one sitting.

I can't resist an obvious Aubrey/Maturin ripoff, and I'd never read David Drake before.

Overall I liked it, I haven't been into military SF stuff for a while and this actually won me back over. We'll see how many of the 12 sequels I make it through though :shepface:

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 30, 2022

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

pradmer posted:

The Gone World by Tom Sweterlitsch - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0722TJN5P/
So I started reading this from the thread reccs and it's well written and compelling with some cool ideas HOWEVER I'm only 1/3rd in and maybe some of this is addressed later in the book but man do I have some thoughts centered around "This is why you don't give time travel to cops and troops."

Proposal: Leverage time travel to temporary future realities for the benefit of humanity.
Reality: Military bureaucracy buries it under special clearances, refuses to collaborate with any other agencies, and help to individual agents appears to only extend to getting them false identities and some cash. Has complex selection process and massive pool of people but somehow only manages to send through people who quickly become criminals and rapists. Entire Jag-like military court system has to be established to handle the excesses of people who return.

Proposal: Give travelers to deep waters math proofs that show the alternate reality vanishes as soon as they leave in order to help them remain aloof and impartial.
Reality: Many if not most use this science-proven "no consequences" nihilism to go absolutely feral and debased on their fellow humans because "it's only a dream". We're talking horrific, serial killer fantasy poo poo. Even presumed-good protagonist IMMEDIATELY discards the mission, connects with and gets emotionally re-attached to family, friends, acquaintances in a doomed world before doing literally anything else including her job they sent her to another reality for.

Proposal: Expeditions can be sent to bring back life-changing technology from alternate future timelines, helping to cure the ills of the world in everything from cancer to aging to climate change.
Reality: None appear to bring back world-changing tech except that which can make future travel more efficient, not even to receive futuristic life extension treatments for themselves or, if they do, it's buried entirely in the aforementioned government bureaucracy. Instead, absolute hedonism and avarice at the individual level reigns as every single person sent forward immediately starts crimeing day and night, doing everything from smuggling actual cash/valuables back to enjoying years spent in a "better life". Some real winners bring back "echos" of people they know, only to do horrible things to them.

Proposal: Send detectives to alternate realities to solve a world-ending disaster because time is short and every time someone is sent the end gets closer
Reality: Protagonist fucks (sometimes literally) around for months and months as an undercover cop slowly worming their way into friendships and manipulating people and largely appears to do solo cop investigatory poo poo instead of using the entire bureaucracy dedicated to saving the world to cut away any and all red tape. Oh and don't bother prepping them with a recent-history infopackage when the agents land, I'm sure they'll figure everything out themselves.

It's like, what if sliders but only horrible people get to go. I'm only 1/3rd in and entirely rooting for the terminus.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 30, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Bhodi posted:

So I started reading this from the thread reccs and it's well written and compelling with some cool ideas HOWEVER I'm only 1/3rd in and maybe some of this is addressed later in the book but man do I have some thoughts centered around "This is why you don't give time travel to cops and troops."

Proposal: Leverage time travel to temporary future realities for the benefit of humanity.
Reality: Military bureaucracy buries it under special clearances, refuses to collaborate with any other agencies, and help to individual agents appears to only extend to getting them false identities and some cash. Has complex selection process and massive pool of people but somehow only manages to send through people who quickly become criminals and rapists. Entire Jag-like military court system has to be established to handle the excesses of people who return.

Proposal: Give travelers to deep waters math proofs that show the alternate reality vanishes as soon as they leave in order to help them remain aloof and impartial.
Reality: Many if not most use this science-proven "no consequences" nihilism to go absolutely feral and debased on their fellow humans because "it's only a dream". We're talking horrific, serial killer fantasy poo poo. Even presumed-good protagonist IMMEDIATELY discards the mission, connects with and gets emotionally re-attached to family, friends, acquaintances in a doomed world before doing literally anything else including her job they sent her to another reality for.

Proposal: Expeditions can be sent to bring back life-changing technology from alternate future timelines, helping to cure the ills of the world in everything from cancer to aging to climate change.
Reality: None appear to bring back world-changing tech except that which can make future travel more efficient, not even to receive life extension treatments for themselves or, if they do, it's buried entirely in the aforementioned government bureaucracy. Instead, absolute hedonism and avarice at the individual level reigns as every single person sent forward immediately starts crimeing day and night, doing everything from smuggling actual cash/valuables back to enjoying years spent in a "better life". Some real winners bring back "echos" of people they know, only to do horrible things to them.

Proposal: Send detectives to alternate realities to solve a world-ending disaster because time is short and every time someone is sent the end gets closer
Reality: Protagonist fucks around for months and months as an undercover cop slowly worming their way into friendships and manipulating people and largely appears to do solo cop investigatory poo poo instead of using the entire bureaucracy dedicated to saving the world to cut away any and all red tape.

It's like, what if sliders but only horrible people get to go. I'm only 1/3rd in and entirely rooting for the terminus.

I guess have to read this book now because this is all so drat real.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
It's like the Mean World bias made manifest. The book implies that the travelers somehow warp and influence the realities they get sent to and so when they send detectives who deal with violent crimes, it sort of makes sense that the world shifts to become that in it's entire. However, really feels like it's happening at the meta level because it seems like the author themselves can't conceptualize or write people who are actually empathetic and caring and make a real difference in the world. It's like everyone is written to be inherently mean or selfish or duty-bound and the only thing holding people back from brutishness is laws and the fear of getting caught. It's all a very negative view of people in general, the kind I imagine people who deal with the worst humanity has to offer day in and day out begin to project into the world. Not even being able to do "minority report" style future casting seems to slow bad things down.

Even the "best" people seem beaten down by the system or are deeply flawed in some way. I guess maybe that's kind of police procedurals / crime thrillers in general? It's not a genre I normally read so this giving me real "The Wire" vibes of being trapped in a hopeless system just surviving best they can, many having given up and just waiting for the end. Not quite Noir, but close.

e: Don't get me wrong, I'm loving this book; if I didn't care about it I'd just DNF it and move on. I do wish that people wouldn't take the people in alternative worlds as not being real at face value; it's real to those who live in it and whether or not it pops like a soap bubble when they leave does not absolve them of their behavior within. I am once again begging time-travelers to take a philosophy and ethics class

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 30, 2022

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Blood of Elves (Witcher #1) by Andrzej Sapkowski - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00276HAEY/

A Shadow in Summer (Long Price #1) by Daniel Abraham - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AN4WSW/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bhodi posted:

My *coughcoughcough*, have you tried the Time Wars series by Simon Hawke?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Finished With the Lightnings (book 1, RCN/Lt Leary series) by David Drake yesterday. Actually read most of it in one sitting.

I can't resist an obvious Aubrey/Maturin ripoff, and I'd never read David Drake before.

Overall I liked it, I haven't been into military SF stuff for a while and this actually won me back over. We'll see how many of the 12 sequels I make it through though :shepface:

It gets kind of dull halfway through the series, for kind of stupid reasons.

The Republic of Cinnabar and the Alliance both are brought to the brink of collapse by the cost of the war, and since they are the Only Civilized Nations in the galaxy this would doom the human race.

That said, the first book is probably the weakest, because there's so much "This is not the Honor Harrington series" exposition that comes off extra clumsy if you don't know that's what he's doing.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Not to worry because in true rip off fashion you can read them in pretty much any order and not miss much

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Hello thread. We just finished audiobooks for the Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers and the Murderbot series by Martha Wells and both were excellent.

But now we need a new book/series, and not all good books are read well.

So! I'm looking for recommendations for audiobooks that are good and also performed well, please.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Hello thread. We just finished audiobooks for the Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers and the Murderbot series by Martha Wells and both were excellent.

So! I'm looking for recommendations for audiobooks that are good and also performed well, please.

It's fantasy, but I'll always recommend Piranesi.

Also really liked the narration of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell.

Also if YA is okay, I quite like Naomi Novik's magic school series, The Scholomance, in audiobook form

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 1, 2022

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Beachcomber posted:

If you're okay with memes occasionally popping up, I really loved Moira Quirk's narration of Gideon the Ninth.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

silvergoose posted:

If you're okay with memes occasionally popping up, I really loved Moira Quirk's narration of Gideon the Ninth.

Oh yea those are really good audiobooks too.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Beachcomber posted:

Quoting myself from earlier:

Follow Me to Ground by Sue Rainsford is about a nonhuman heroine who lives in a village and heals the humans who visit her and her father. There's some body horror (they heal people manually, and then by burying them in the ground) and a fascinating look at what it means to be human, and what love is.

I read this via audiobook and it really resonated with me. One of the few books where the audiobook worked for me better than reading it.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

A Proper Uppercut posted:

It's fantasy, but I'll always recommend Piranesi.

Also really liked the narration of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell.

Also if YA is okay, I quite like Naomi Novik's magic school series, The Scholomance, in audiobook form

Along those lines, I also enjoyed the audiobook of Uprooted. The narrator brought great exasperated Polish lady energy.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Quorum posted:

Along those lines, I also enjoyed the audiobook of Uprooted. The narrator brought great exasperated Polish lady energy.

Oh, also Spinning Silver. Same narrator I believe.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

If you liked the Sandman graphic novels, the Audible audio dramas they did of them are fantastic. They’re more like a radio play than a straight audiobook, with the VAs reading the lines and Gaiman as narrator. Great voice acting and production quality.

silvergoose posted:

Also this.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

RoboCicero posted:

I've been inexplicably on a "human mind(s) shatter on the rocks of something fundamentally incomprehensible" kick lately, with some prime examples being like, The Cipher by Kathe Joka, Uzumaki by Junji Ito, House of Leaves, Blindsight, or the Area X trilogy. Stuff like Ship of Fools is good too! Does anyone have any other recommendations along those veins? Just read The Last Astronaut and, while it was decent, it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

Nobody seems to have mentioned foundational stories such as The King in Yellow, House on the Borderlands, or [i]The Great God Pan{/i]. That type of story was also Clark Ashton Smith's thing. More modern stuff, both the metaplot of Gravity's Rainbow, The Crying of Lot 49 & Infinite Jest apply.

Been reading the Fantomas stories. For stuff written in two months and older than a century, they hold up pretty well. Around book 3 is when Fantomas starts doing ludicrous "fifteen steps ahead" escapes.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Oh, also Spinning Silver. Same narrator I believe.

I don't do audiobooks but I did just finish reading Spinning Silver last night and it was good.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

silvergoose posted:

Tamsyn Muir's fairytale novella, Princess Floralinda and the Forty-Flight Tower, also has an audiobook read by Moira Quirk, and it's also very good.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Beachcomber posted:

I won't die on a hill of how "good" they are, but I have heard that James Marsters (of Buffy the Vampire Slayer)) does an amazing job reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I've read them all, they are pretty consistently fun and the 'space sailing' schtick is way less annoying than I expected.

Solid 5/10 series, methadone to the addicts.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Beachcomber posted:

Another YA series you might enjoy that’s read well is Raybearer and Redemptor written by Jordan Ifueko and read by Joniece Abbott-Pratt.

Iron Widow by Xiran Jay Zhao is also very good and read very well by Rong Fu.

If you want a longer series, the October Daye series by Seanen McGuire are great.

The Blacktongue Thief by Christopher Buehlman is frustratingly well read by the author.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 1, 2022

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

Speaking of the Wayfarer series, I recently rewatched Titan A. E. and wow they have a lot of similarities - which is great, because I love both Titan A. E. and the Wayfarer series.

As for well-narrated audiobooks, if you haven't already gone through the Cassandra Kresnov books by Joel Shepherd and narrated by Dina Pearlman, I quite liked the narration of those.
Similarly, while someone did say they're self-published (which I think was supposed to be some kind of critique?), the audiobooks for the Intrepid Saga by M. D. Cooper narrated by Khristine Hvam.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 1, 2022

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Beachcomber posted:

The Red Sister trilogy by Mark Lawrence was wonderfully read by Helen Duff.
Similarly the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown also had a great performance from Tim Gerard Reynolds.
I also very much enjoyed The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch as read by Michael Page.
And the Cradle series starting with Unsouled by Will Wight really came alive through Travis Baldree.

It always amazes me when I can identify what character is speaking even when they make their first reappearance in like 500 pages, because the narrator has given them such a distinct voice.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

See also Kate Reading and Michael Kramer, because you can tell the moment Domon reappears after multiple long *books*.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

That do no be too difficult no matter what voice is used for him, imo.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't do a lot of audiobooks but I listened to a couple of The Witcher books and would praise Peter Kenny's delivery, he does a great job handling a fairly diverse cast

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010
Peter Kenny does a really good job with the Culture novels, too.

Adjoa Andoh is a reliably good narrator. She did The Power by Naomi Alderman and The Old Drift by Namwali Serpell, both of which are excellent. Since you're after a series, she also narrates the Ancillary Justice books, though I haven't listened to those myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Sweet Hereafter posted:

Peter Kenny does a really good job with the Culture novels, too.
Peter Kenny does an absolutely fantastic job with the Culture novels, yeah.

Another audiobook that I recall as being particularly good is Red Dwarf: Last Human narrated by Craig Charles - and the other books in the series also have pretty good narration.