Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Look they only had one open box and they could either fill it with 100,000 printed UCS tiles or 1000 goats and at the end of the day it’s gonna be goats every time.

Printed goats when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

There's been like three prequel UCS sets across the entire line. If you don't like the prequels it's hardly some glut that's impossible to avoid. I voted for the gunship and I'm glad it won, even if I haven't bought it yet because the footprint is huge and my place only has so much room. Hope we get more, rather than just mining the same three movies again and again.

Also more cool ship designs they could use in addition to the ones mentioned previously: the Trade Federation Droid Control Ship, AAT, Consular-class, Darth Maul's ship, and Jango's Slave I are a few that come to mind. Or even branching out into physical locations; the Jedi Temple or Senate Building would look pretty cool.

I don't fault people for wanting prequel UCS stuff, but there's a reason Lego doesn't do almost any of them and it's pretty apparent when you think about the demographics of who's buying them. I doubt we will see many more and tbh there is still a bunch of OT stuff that hasn't had a UCS or hasn't had a good one/ one that has been produced in 20 years.

I could maybe see a few prequel sets doing all right Naboo Starfighter, jedi Starfighter possibly. I don't even remember what most of the stuff you listed even looks like.

I don't have any stats to back this up, but I think it's mostly safe to say that olds with disposable income are the ones keeping the 200-800 UCS line afloat and liking of the prequels amongst that group is spotty at best, leaning towards general dislike so marketing prequel sets to them seems like it would be a misfire and Lego seems to know it. yeah there is a very vocal group of guys in their like mid-late 20s that want more prequel stuff but thats a pretty small fraction of overall people who are buying Lego SW especially UCS.

At the end of the day the original trilogy has a broad appeal and iconic status that the Prequels, Disney, cartoons EU don't have. So it's not surpsing Lego mostly plays it safe when offering up extremely expensive sets.

E : I mean, just look at this thread. There's you and maybe 1 other person that actually wanted that thing and you didn't even buy it. I know some of rest of us that are salty about it are compulsive UCS buyers that probably would have made a Tie Bomber or a Neb B a day one buy and now that sale is just lost. if that stretches into the broader group of people buying these things making OT sets makes a lot more sense. Ultimately the people who are thirsting for prequel UCS also still like the OT, but it's often not the other way around.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 30, 2022

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Lego: Sorry but your $300 adult collector set needs to have stickers, you can't imagine the cost if we had to print single-use bricks for every dumb thing that comes along.

Also Lego: lol, we made a custom goat mold and print pattern for a $70 fantasy farm set and we're literally never going to reuse it ever again, gently caress you

This is the molded heads that made the muppets and looney tunes cmfs unbuyable for me

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

HootTheOwl posted:

Printed goats when?

The next Botanicals set will feature leaves made of 300 goats

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.
And the sale of UCS Landspeeder has started in Europe and as expected... Lego website is making GBS threads the bed and it's impossible to get in.

How is this still a problem? Seriously.

I'm not even in it for the Landspeeder, I just wanted the tallneck. At least i know that even they sell out now they will be back in a few weeks, but still.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The next Botanicals set will feature leaves made of 300 goats

Greatest Orchid of All Time

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Lego: Sorry but your $300 adult collector set needs to have stickers, you can't imagine the cost if we had to print single-use bricks for every dumb thing that comes along.

Also Lego: lol, we made a custom goat mold and print pattern for a $70 fantasy farm set and we're literally never going to reuse it ever again, gently caress you
They have stated the goat molds were destroyed somehow. This is somewhat common knowledge (among collectors), which is why they're seen as such a safe "investment." Not sure what's keeping LEGO from re-tooling though, since the demand is clearly there.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Snagged the Horizon Tallneck. First time I did a midnight Lego purchase. I was surprised that I actually ended up stuck in the queue for a bit, but it resolved before 1AM. Also grabbed the BrickHeadz bride and groom because they were on a sale and I have some online friends that are getting married this summer.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

They have stated the goat molds were destroyed somehow. This is somewhat common knowledge (among collectors), which is why they're seen as such a safe "investment." Not sure what's keeping LEGO from re-tooling though, since the demand is clearly there.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Is there anyone here with PMs or would exchange emails that had experience making studio projects into real things? I have a decent amount of time into a project and before I do too much more I would like to touch base with someone that can shed some light on tips. Thanks in advance.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

ivantod posted:

And the sale of UCS Landspeeder has started in Europe and as expected... Lego website is making GBS threads the bed and it's impossible to get in.

How is this still a problem? Seriously.

I'm not even in it for the Landspeeder, I just wanted the tallneck. At least i know that even they sell out now they will be back in a few weeks, but still.

A few minutes before midnight here on the east coast of the US the page reloaded with a queue message and auto refresh. About a minute after the site loaded, got my UCS Landspeeder and the 3 GWP. Surprised it went that smoothly and saves me a trip to the mall tomorrow morning.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Literally the first time seeing a countdown queue on the Lego site. Was gonna actually go into the store for
Tallneck and succulents tomorrow. Am I in for some poo poo?
Oh is this all SW traffic? Ew.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I just waited in the queue, only took a few minutes. But I was only after the orchid and the succulents, probably not moving as fast as that other stuff.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Oh double ew are there gonna be like 4000 people lined up at the (physical) store for SW while I try to get my flowers and Tallneck?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I don’t think the UCS Landspeeder will be a huge draw, but what do I know (I did buy it)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Dogen posted:

I don’t think the UCS Landspeeder will be a huge draw, but what do I know (I did buy it)

I think it's a combo of the Landspeeder+all the Star wars GwPs

Anyway got my Tallneck so I'm satisfied.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Dogen posted:

At least here in Europe, despite 3 Star Wars GWPs you get with the purchase of landspeeder, it's still in stock. Unlike the tallneck which is temporarily sold out by now.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Skios posted:

Some new farm sets announced. No goats, unfortunately, but still some new animals. I might have to get the produce truck if I can get it for a decent discount, as it would fit the little food truck arrangement I'm working on.

This child seems really happy to be literally shoveling poo poo.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

poo poo, the Tallneck is already out of stock in my country.

e:
Can't even backorder even though you can in the NA region. This sucks, I really want it and I don't want to pay double to some scalper.

Taeke fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 1, 2022

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I didn’t think it would sell out that quickly. Maybe they underestimated demand and didn’t make enough

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This year is nuts. AT-AT, Landspeeder, the three SW dioramas, Horizon, Jurassic Park....and those are just the ones I really want to add to my collection (that I also have no room for) and that's not even taking into account a bunch of stuff I want that I'm choosing to ignore for now like the hotel, botanicals etc.

I just bought the Delorean, so I am not dying to buy any expensive Lego sets atm, but that drat Lars homestead set got me in FOMO mode hard. I just decided to buy it on Ebay for $45. Complete ripoff, but I figure it's not gonna get any cheaper than that on the aftermarket and it just lets me buy all the poo poo I want at my leisure over the next couple if years instead of scrambling to spend yet another 200 bux on Lego immediately. Especially when I'd rather just slowly work myself up to buying the AT-AT than prioritize any of those other sets (except horizon gonna get that soon. Out of stock already though lol )

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

RatHat posted:

I didn’t think it would sell out that quickly. Maybe they underestimated demand and didn’t make enough

Yeah, me neither.

I was even up at midnight and checked the shop but it wasn't available yet at a quarter past midnight so I decided to go to bed and just order it first thing in the morning. Oh well, at least is says temporarily out of stock so hopefully I can still catch it when it comes back.

I'm just bummed because it's the one set I'm really excited about. I don't care about SW or JP and the other exclusive stuff doesn't appeal to me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If you have a local Lego store they are almost always better for finding just about anything than the website.

Either way all of these sets will be in production for a long time. there is almost never anything to worry about in the long run.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

The nearest store does have it in stock but it's like 2 hours away so not really an option.

I'll just have to wait a bit longer than I wanted, I guess.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Taeke posted:

I was even up at midnight and checked the shop but it wasn't available yet at a quarter past midnight

Not sure if it was always there, but there was a note on the items that the sale starts at 1 AM CEST, so you only just missed it. Other than having to wait a couple of minutes to get into the site, I was able to easily get both the tallneck and the landspeeder just after 1 AM. This morning I was actually surprised that landspeeder was still available, esp. with the fact that you get 3 Star Wars GWPs if you buy it. But I'm sure it'll be back in stock in a few weeks so definitely no need to buy it from the scalpers.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Target also gets certain “hard to find” sets but I don’t know what the criteria are. I know I’ve seen the NES, ECTO-1, and Friends/Seinfeld dioramas there. Barnes & Noble often does too.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I folded. Walmart can get me everything by Tuesday. (Tallneck, Succulents, Orchids).

Now I can spend the morning with the fam instead.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I can report that the succulents and orchid set pages work now and I have purchased both (and the trench run diorama)

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
I grabbed a Tallneck, succulents, and Dagobah at midnight. Didn't realize demand for the Tallneck would be so high but I'd love it if they made more sets from the Horizon games. The robot-animal designs in those games are excellent and the Tallneck set looks great.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I was eyeing the Landspeeder a bit, but I realized I’d only be getting it right now for the GWP. So I backed off and got the succulents and Trench Run, which are the two sets I ACTUALLY want.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, I went to the White City, London store today to get the Longneck set and it just vanished instantly, was lucky to get it myself. Didn't look like they had that many.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just bought a tallneck. Looking forward to that arriving.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Decided to hold out on the succulents and orchids. My backlog is as big as it has ever been, and with how prevalent they've been over here it shouldn't be too hard to pick them up for at least €10 under RRP.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The Trench Run is a great little set. One clever detail that doesn’t really come out in the pictures is that in person at normal viewing angles the transparent posts holding the ships up aren’t visible.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you’re gonna buy $400 worth is there any reason not to break it into two orders to get double GWP?

They should just double your GWP when you exceed double the threshold

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Technically GWP's are supposed to be one per-household but the system doesn't seem to be able to pick up that you've received one before and not add it on for future orders.

But it's in the T&Cs in case they ever get that to work.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
Has anyone sold on Bricklink before? Is it advisable to setup its own Paypal account or is using your personal account fine? I'm intending to be an infrequent seller.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Got my Mos Eisley Cantina and grabbed the Trench Run for a friend and the Succulents for my wife for Mothers Day. Was only in queue for 10 minutes at midnight which didn’t seem so bad. Very excited to start my biggest set ever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Veotax posted:

Yeah, I went to the White City, London store today to get the Longneck set and it just vanished instantly, was lucky to get it myself. Didn't look like they had that many.

Westfield on a weekend? Brave man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Just got some strange looks in the local dollar store. I saw on their website that they had these little glass fishbowls for €0,95 each, so I had brought a 6x6 plate to see if I could fit in the succulents. They fit, so now I just need some decorative gravel to complete the look.