Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Sunk Dunk posted:

the only thing that has stopped me from starting to smoke pipe tobacco is that washington state won't let me get it shipped to my house. god i am so lazy

YouTube guy StuffandThings lives in WA and is regularly smoking a pipe. If I recall correctly there are online retailers who just ignore WA and ship it anyways. Bit of a pain either way, but I think you can get it anyhow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
oh nice, thanks for the heads up

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Speaking of shipping: anyone have experience with importing tins of pipe tobacco from the US to Europe? We get a decent enough selection here but there are still a lot of brands that are just ungettable here, and I've got several on my list to try.

Trying to weigh whether it's cheaper/more feasible to just import some or wait until my next trip to the US (fall 2023 probably) and load up some stuff in my checked baggage for the trip back.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’ve done the reverse with plenty of Cuban cigars, I imagine if you’re ordering from a single massive shop like Smoking Pipes you’re probably in good shape.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I import tins by mail order from the US to :canada: on a regular basis. My go-to is 4noggins due to their friendly labeling of the package as "hobby tins". I do occasionally order from SmokingPipes or TobaccoPipes for rare blends though, and although they label things correctly I've only once been dinged by customs. Canadian smoker wisdom is to stick under 200g per order though, seems customs is more likely to give a poo poo if you are ordering in bulk.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Look Ma! I caught a Fwaggle!
What’s everybody clench-pressing out there?

My heaviest pipe is a 2.5 oz. quarter-bent, and pretty much too heavy for sustained clenching. 1.8 oz. seems to be about my limit. I find myself gravitating toward the straighter, lighter shapes (< 1.5 oz) of late.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I have never weighed my pipes! But I have one gigantic Erik Nording that must be like 6 ounces or something. I should weigh them all some time.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m gonna guess is my Rattray’s Dark Reign 120 - I generally prefer straight, short pipes.

I was camping last weekend and will be every weekend but one this month too set up my wedding reception at the camp. I reached for my Ennerdale, and had forgotten that very pipe above - my Lakeland pipe. Tragic. I’m sure as hell remembering it this weekend, though!

Snagged the last Haut 10 from my local Binny’s. I’m out to Dallas tomorrow and back on Wednesday for one more day before going back to camp. I’m alright with living out of my suitcase, but going from a high of 48 to a high of 87 in 3 days is tough on the body. Never mind that we’re just letting it rip COVID wise. Can’t let a few million dead bodies get in the way of midterms!

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I have never weighed my pipes!

In fairness, I just use the stats from smokingpipes to "weigh" mine. I always favorite pipes that I order from there, and can almost always find nearly identical listings for the pipes I get elsewhere (with the exception of random basket pipes). It's super geeky, but it's useful to know that I'm probably not going to want to smoke a pipe very often if it weights much over 1.5 oz. And knowing this prevents me from buying things like (more) 2.5 oz pipes that I can barely clench.

Howard The Dork fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 3, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I’m not the only one!

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I also like small, straight pipes, and my best pipe is a Stanwell 54. Perfect little VA flake pipe.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had a L’Atelier Cote d’Ore 2017 last night and jiminy Jesus it is excellent:

It’s like if Pete Johnson made a Padron 1926 maduro with the Sancti Spiritus wrapper. Just stupendous stuff.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010
I had a Vegueros Tapados recently. Probably one of the best Cubans Ive had. Flavour profile was right up my alley and it was the perfect size and strength to keep me interest but not knock me out. Would recommend

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Every time I look at picking up more banded CC’s, I think about grabbing some Vegueros and I never do.

My belated wedding reception is at the end of the month and I’ve been stocking up like a fiend. 50 Yerandy BHK54s for the event smoke for whoever wants one, most of a box remains of LAT54s, a Fuente OpusX 13, Rose of Sharon lanceros are getting in today along with 5 Yerandy maduro genios, and I’m fixing to snag another Garcia y Garcia Super Toro and my very first Tatuaje Clos L’Eglise. My GOAT the La Aurora 2017 Hors d’Ages is coming out as well - I’ve only got 5 left!

Gonna smoke like I never have before for that honeymoon.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Yerandy maduro genios are out of control ROTT - already giving Padron maduro 1964 series a run for its money. I’m real excited to crack into my next one in a few weeks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Had another maduro genio last night, and even just a few days in the humidor made a huge difference. It has a much more classical Cuban profile but with the volume turned up to 11 - can’t wait to try my next one this upcoming weekend.

I am having some Plum Pudding in a pipe I don’t use often - it’s unfiltered and I generally smoke with a 9mm filter. The more intense flavor is fabulous. I don’t miss the errant flakes or dottle, so I may try a Peterson or Falcon system pipe over the summer. I’m really interested in trying my Lakeland stuff unfiltered.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Falcons are dope, I love em. Grab a meerschaum block bowl from a third party and you've got a fantastic workhorse pipe.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I found an unused 9mm reducer and it’s a little tight, but this Ennerdale is very good. Two bowls into today and I’m already starting to feel the tongue bite creep up on me, though.

It’s good stuff though! It’s nice having reinvigorated enthusiasm for pipe smoking.

I hadn’t thought about third party Falcon blocks, I have been interested in a meerschaum bowl lately though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Falcons are dope, I love em. Grab a meerschaum block bowl from a third party and you've got a fantastic workhorse pipe.

What's a better modular workhorse, a Falcon or a Nørding Compass?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Drone posted:

What's a better modular workhorse, a Falcon or a Nørding Compass?

I'm a big fan of the reservoir that Falcons have. It does a good job of collecting the steam from the smoke, and you can twist off the bowl mid-smoke to dab it out with a bit of paper towel then keep on trucking. Makes smoking blends prone to being wet much more comfortable.

If you want a fancier version of a Falcon-style system, check out H Wiebe pipes. I'm not certain they're worth twice the cost of the Falcon, but that's because they're made by a dude instead of one of Britain's biggest pipe manufacturers. The Wiebe pipes are great as you can twist off the mouthpiece and bowl after a smoke and just rinse out the rest of the thing, no pipe cleaner ever required. But all in all, a Falcon with a few briar bowls (if you like briar) and a block meerschaum bowl (not meerschaum lined) is the way to go IMO.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Am I misunderstanding, or are you folks talking about removing the pipe stem to swab it during a smoke, or after the bowl has finished and cooled down? Because it’s a really bad idea to move/rotate/break down a hot stem on a briar/vulcanite/clay/meerschaum pipe, because it could expand and/or cool unevenly and ruin a well-fit pipe permanently. That’s if you’re lucky enough not to just snap the stem off in the first place. Are these pipes you’re discussing made to where this doesn’t matter anymore? I would be interested if this was “new” (at least to me!) technology for briars—-I break cobs all the time because usually I’m more interested in just putting it away quickly cleaned, even if the bowl is still hot/warm to touch. I’ve seen broken briars from the same treatment, though.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Am I misunderstanding, or are you folks talking about removing the pipe stem to swab it during a smoke, or after the bowl has finished and cooled down? Because it’s a really bad idea to move/rotate/break down a hot stem on a briar/vulcanite/clay/meerschaum pipe, because it could expand and/or cool unevenly and ruin a well-fit pipe permanently. That’s if you’re lucky enough not to just snap the stem off in the first place. Are these pipes you’re discussing made to where this doesn’t matter anymore? I would be interested if this was “new” (at least to me!) technology for briars—-I break cobs all the time because usually I’m more interested in just putting it away quickly cleaned, even if the bowl is still hot/warm to touch. I’ve seen broken briars from the same treatment, though.

Falcon pipes. Google 'em

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

Falcon pipes are weird, they have a detachable bowl above a metal reservoir that's one piece with the rest of the stem et al.

Shown here with their proprietary rings in the reservoir, but you don't need those - I just take the bowl off mid smoke and dab out the reservoir. Can also just cut down a pipe cleaner to make em.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

But all in all, a Falcon with a few briar bowls (if you like briar) and a block meerschaum bowl (not meerschaum lined) is the way to go IMO.

What's wrong with meerschaum lining?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Drone posted:

What's wrong with meerschaum lining?

Would you rather a wooden pipe made of reconstituted sawdust, or a solid block of briar that had been carved into shape?

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Winds down pipes up

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Falcon pipes are weird, they have a detachable bowl above a metal reservoir that's one piece with the rest of the stem et al.

Holy poo poo does that look like a weird way to solve a problem (that is a rare problem I’ve had maybe four times in a decade after starting to smoke a pipe around 17 years ago). Doesn’t all that metal heat up to where you cannot hold the bowl in your hand as you’re pontificating (bullshitting) with your smoking buddies? I mean, a bowl too hot to hold generally means you’re puffing too fast anyway, but that’s briar/meerschaum/cob talking…I’ve always figured metal pipes would just be for weed or cigarette tobacco since metal+fire=ouchie.

And don’t get me started on my groan (imo, obviously…don’t let anyone tell you what you should enjoy or how you enjoy your tobacco time!) at “stuff in the stem.” That cutaway just confused (frightened) me. Just completely out of my wheelhouse is all…what are the selling points on that style and how do they work for an everyday (or fouraday) puffer?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
been out of the pipe game for a few years, and discovered that the vulcanite stems on all of my pipes have majorly oxidized :negative: anyone have any tips or recommendations for cleaning them? seeing conflicting things online about bleach or oxyclean to remove the surface oxidization before polishing them back up.

also, any new pipe tobacco brands or blends that i should be looking at? last time i ordered anything was 2015.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Mr. Glass posted:

been out of the pipe game for a few years, and discovered that the vulcanite stems on all of my pipes have majorly oxidized :negative: anyone have any tips or recommendations for cleaning them? seeing conflicting things online about bleach or oxyclean to remove the surface oxidization before polishing them back up.

also, any new pipe tobacco brands or blends that i should be looking at? last time i ordered anything was 2015.

I did the oxyclean soak method on a few stems, one being a particularly ancient and browned Peterson and it worked well. First a short oxy soak, then a light scrub to fully remove the discoloration, full rinse off, then using increasingly fine microfiber polishing pads to bring back the shine, since the soak will significantly dull your stem. My only worry was the interior of the stem also being roughened, which is pretty impossible to polish (unaware of any fine grain polishing pipe cleaners out there). I just made sure I ran multiple fresh pipe cleaners through it, both scouring and soft types, and both while wet and dry. It hasn't affected the draw in any of them, far as I could tell.

Toxteth OGrady
May 28, 2013
Jumping on the falcon love train here. I have two, and I rarely smoke anything else. Twisting the bowl off mid smoke and flicking the moisture out will save an otherwise awful smoke. I tend to smoke fast though so YMMV.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

Holy poo poo does that look like a weird way to solve a problem (that is a rare problem I’ve had maybe four times in a decade after starting to smoke a pipe around 17 years ago). Doesn’t all that metal heat up to where you cannot hold the bowl in your hand as you’re pontificating (bullshitting) with your smoking buddies? I mean, a bowl too hot to hold generally means you’re puffing too fast anyway, but that’s briar/meerschaum/cob talking…I’ve always figured metal pipes would just be for weed or cigarette tobacco since metal+fire=ouchie.

And don’t get me started on my groan (imo, obviously…don’t let anyone tell you what you should enjoy or how you enjoy your tobacco time!) at “stuff in the stem.” That cutaway just confused (frightened) me. Just completely out of my wheelhouse is all…what are the selling points on that style and how do they work for an everyday (or fouraday) puffer?

The metal actually doesn't get very hot - it's only touched by smoke and vapor, none of the tobacco should be touching it as its all contained in the briar (or meerschaum) bowl which threads in above the reservoir.

Selling points for me are mostly the moisture removal that the reservoir provides, helps with a cool and dry smoke. Blends that might gurgle in another pipe are typically fine in a Falcon, or if they do build up I can just twist off the bowl and dab out the reservoir mid-smoke. Aside from that the draught hole is in the very bottom of a Falcon bowl; I often find I can smoke down to the last scrap much more effectively in my Falcon than I can in other more traditional pipes. It's also pretty price effective in that bowls are only $30ish, so you can buy a bunch of bowls to use for specific blends pretty easily.

If you want a REALLY weird pipe you can graduate to the H Wiebe reservoir pipes. I have a tall bent one and love it too.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mr. Glass posted:

Peterson’s replacement for a few of the Dunhills’ tins are pretty good, if you can catch them in stock (Early Morning Pipe, Nightcap, Elizabethan Mixtures I’ve all been through…no idea about Flake or Royal Yacht). They copied the tin designs, too.

Edit:

The metal actually doesn't get very hot - it's only touched by smoke and vapor, none of the tobacco should be touching it as its all contained in the briar (or meerschaum) bowl which threads in above the reservoir.

Selling points for me are mostly the moisture removal that the reservoir provides, helps with a cool and dry smoke. Blends that might gurgle in another pipe are typically fine in a Falcon, or if they do build up I can just twist off the bowl and dab out the reservoir mid-smoke. Aside from that the draught hole is in the very bottom of a Falcon bowl; I often find I can smoke down to the last scrap much more effectively in my Falcon than I can in other more traditional pipes. It's also pretty price effective in that bowls are only $30ish, so you can buy a bunch of bowls to use for specific blends pretty easily.

If you want a REALLY weird pipe you can graduate to the H Wiebe reservoir pipes. I have a tall bent one and love it too.

Learn something new every day :pipe:

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 21, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Royal Yacht has been one of my favorites but I never had the original.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I've been eyeing this for the last few years, and I finally picked one up:

It's a 9mm pipe reducer. I've been enjoying my charcoal filters, but I'm losing a lot of intensity flavors wise. I want the cooler smoke that filters give, but the 9mm to 3mm reducers get too wet for my liking. Can't wait to post a trip report!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So it sits in the stem, like a stinger sort of thing?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah it’s for pipes drilled for 9mm filters, so it goes where the filter would.

I don’t particularly like the 9mm to 3mm reducers because they don’t do anything about the heat which causes tongue bite. This cools down the smoke and prevents dottle from getting into the bowl.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Peterson Early Morning Pipe loving RULES. It’s maybe the first pipe tobacco I’ve loved with coffee. All those Dunhill blends have been great, I can’t imagine people’s panic when Dunhill got out of the game.

I also picked up Hearth and Home Marquee El Niño, which reminds me a lot of Galloping Gertie from Seattle Pipe Club - haven’t had it in a bit but I’ll adjust that this week.

Having a little midday herf with Doctor Medic, we’re having L’Atelier Cote d’Ore 2017s! They’re proper table legs and delicious.

Howard The Dork
Mar 31, 2004

Early Morning Pipe and 965 are two very solid blends that I keep on-hand. I’ve got a tin of Elizabethan that’s been sitting around, I guess I should try that one next.

How is the spiral metal filter doohickey working out?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It’ll be here tomorrow, so hopefully well! I’m very excited to experience The Full Force of Royal Yacht. I’ve been breaking out the unfiltered pipes the last few days and still hate dottle. Hopefully it’ll be the best of both worlds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Can you roll cigarettes with pipe tobacco?