Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oooh, plumeria. :swoon: I need a tough indoor plant that isn't toxic to cats and fits in a wall planter I have. Peperomia prostrata looks perfect; we live by the sea, and it's humid year-round, although cool (indoor lows 55 degrees, indoor highs 75). I know I can order one from Logee's, but that's a cross-country shipment by the now-unreliable mail. Is there anybody else you like for mail order? Or do you think Logee's will do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oooh, plumeria. :swoon: I need a tough indoor plant that isn't toxic to cats and fits in a wall planter I have. Peperomia prostrata looks perfect; we live by the sea, and it's humid year-round, although cool (indoor lows 55 degrees, indoor highs 75). I know I can order one from Logee's, but that's a cross-country shipment by the now-unreliable mail. Is there anybody else you like for mail order? Or do you think Logee's will do?

If you have a lowes/meijer/walmart/anywhere near, they carry Costa Farms/Exotic Angel plants and that's a pretty common one I see when browsing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Tremors posted:

If you have a lowes/meijer/walmart/anywhere near, they carry Costa Farms/Exotic Angel plants and that's a pretty common one I see when browsing.

Nope, the closest one of any of those is a 3-hour round trip. I do need to hit a garden center the next time we make that trip, so.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I haven't had any problems with getting plants in the mail recently. You could also almost certainly find someone closer selling one on Etsy if you're worried about it going all the way across the country.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm now concerned about my little greenhouse for these traps because their growth is absolutely explosive now and I feel like they're gonna be smooshed in there in a couple weeks at this rate. A good problem to have, I might have to re-plant the red dragons separately to make room for big chungus.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The answer lies in the thread title. Spider plants all the way baaaybeeeee! My kitties each have one of their own that they're allowed to chew on / play with the runners.
:catdrugs:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah but then you have the problem of them chewing on it too much. I got one once and had to relocate it to my office because the cat wouldn't stop munching it and it looked terrible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

OH FOR FUCKS SAKE

it was loving fine for like six months and all of winter

it was loving fine like five days ago

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

guys help I think something is wrong with my peach tree. it's got these weird growths on it

what do I do?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So what you want to do is wait for them to get real big, the size of a nectarine. They’ll usually get a little red coloration, have a bit of a fruity scent to them, and give just the slightest bit when handled.

At that point, they have sucked all the poison out of the tree and you can mail them to me for responsible disposal.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

:siren::siren: I got gifted this Mednilla Flamenco as a wedding present, so I need to be extra careful to keep it happy

Humidity/Temp seems fine, I'll set up a pebble tray

Light: my options are a spot 3-4 hours direct but mild morning sun, or around a corner near that spot with 0 direct sun. Thoughts?

Soil: This is the big question - I see one source suggesting using straight up Orchid mix, with some peat mixed in. Others suggest a more standard mix, still with a decent peat component. That's a big difference, thoughts?

Fertilizer: Likewise seeing conflicting suggestions here. One source says it's a light feeder and only needs occasional nutrients, another one says once a week for the whole growing season (Feb-August)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why do people like peaches? You gotta take all that sticky wet coating off and then it's always incredibly hard and wrinkly, practically inedible.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Has anyone done native prairie plantings? I'm planning on turning a lot of my yard into a native prairie/savannah/woodland garden (depending on how close they are to the couple of trees I have) at the house I moved in to this year.

I think I'll start small and select a ~100-250 sq. ft part of the yard to get rid of and plant a seed mix in the fall. Most of my lawn is a mix of some kind of grass, dandelions, and some naturalized crocus. The place where I'm planning on starting up the native bed also has some escaped tulips, daffodils, and probably some other assorted perennials. I'm trying to get an idea of the best way to prepare the site for seeding. It sounds like I have 3 basic options: smothering the site until fall, repeatedly tilling the site over the course of the spring/summer/fall, and herbiciding the area.

Since I'll be getting rid of some of my lawn, will I have to till up the sod anyway? In that case I feel like I'd be better off just repeatedly cultivating it, then I'd get the benefit of exhausting some of the seed bank.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Nosre posted:

:siren::siren: I got gifted this Mednilla Flamenco as a wedding present, so I need to be extra careful to keep it happy

Humidity/Temp seems fine, I'll set up a pebble tray

I would skip the pebble tray and go for an actual humidifier if humidity is a thing that concerns you. They can't really evaporate moisture at a rate that will change ambient humidity when it's not a closed environment like a prop box, even if you swap the pebbles for a water-wicking alternative like leca.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Pebble trays don’t increase ambient humidity for the plant in any appreciable way. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it pseudoscience because there’s nothing pseudoscientific about expecting some standing water in a dry space to evaporate, but the idea that it does anything at all of value outside of a very small space (ie under glass or in a very very small grow tent) may as well be.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

Pebble trays don’t increase ambient humidity for the plant in any appreciable way. I wouldn’t go so far as to call it pseudoscience

There's some stuff in the plant community that's just wild and baseless sometimes too tbh. If I see one more person recommending you shake a FLF I might have an aneurysm.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

subpar anachronism posted:

There's some stuff in the plant community that's just wild and baseless sometimes too tbh. If I see one more person recommending you shake a FLF I might have an aneurysm.

didn’t you know that plants purify and detoxify the air in your house?

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Well color me educated, thanks all.

Any thoughts on the soil? That seems like the biggest choice I have to make, and the sources are quite different.

Orchid mix wth some peat mixed in vs. a pretty standard (but also peat-heavy) mix

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

So last year I came here concerned about the noticeably thin foliage in my coral bark Japanese maple:

Queen Victorian posted:

Pic from [mid May 2021]:

Pic from [mid May 2020] (plus or minus a couple days):

Update: It seems that all my worrying was in vain. We'd since given it more mulch and fertilized, and otherwise just waited (and I ended up not attempting any pruning due to the thinness), and this spring it seems super happy:

The photo doesn't fully capture how almost cartoonishly lush and vibrant the foliage is, like something out of a Miyazaki movie. Not to mention it's two weeks earlier in the season than when the previous photos were taken.

In retrospect, I think it must have been dedicating more of its energy to establishing itself last year and overcoming transplant stress the year before after starting out with fuller foliage (lots of leaf scorch that first summer).

The rift is still there, but it seems less pronounced and looks like it's bound to eventually fill itself in. I think what's happening is that the tree is fanning out as it grows - most larger upright Japanese maples I see are more fanned out than this one. There are a couple spots with exceptionally thick foliage that I could thin out to let more light in the center of the crown.

(Please ignore the out of control hydra-like forsythia behind the tree - it looked way better when it was flowering and it's due for some serious pruning (also does anyone need forsythia starts? It keeps ground-layering itself))

And another fun discovery:

Seedlings! :3: I didn't know it could even produce offspring. Not sure if they will also be coral barks or what, but I'll pot them and find out.

PS: went to the nursery for some perennials the other day and they still remember us and the coral bark. It was definitely one of the more exceptional specimen trees they had.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Brawnfire posted:

Why do people like peaches?

Why do you like posting?

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Eeyo posted:

Has anyone done native prairie plantings? I'm planning on turning a lot of my yard into a native prairie/savannah/woodland garden (depending on how close they are to the couple of trees I have) at the house I moved in to this year.

I think I'll start small and select a ~100-250 sq. ft part of the yard to get rid of and plant a seed mix in the fall. Most of my lawn is a mix of some kind of grass, dandelions, and some naturalized crocus. The place where I'm planning on starting up the native bed also has some escaped tulips, daffodils, and probably some other assorted perennials. I'm trying to get an idea of the best way to prepare the site for seeding. It sounds like I have 3 basic options: smothering the site until fall, repeatedly tilling the site over the course of the spring/summer/fall, and herbiciding the area.

Since I'll be getting rid of some of my lawn, will I have to till up the sod anyway? In that case I feel like I'd be better off just repeatedly cultivating it, then I'd get the benefit of exhausting some of the seed bank.

Yeah!!! Hell yeah!!

I love meadowscaping and native gardening, this year I finally got a public garden plot and got permission to do meadow plants there. I have some big leftover plants (roses & grapes) and bulbs from the last person who had my plot, but mostly all I had to do was clear out weeds and drop my seeds and plants in.

https://wmswcd.org/projects/the-meadowscaping-handbook/ This is a guidebook that I refer to and it goes into preparing the site with a lot of different options. The fastest way would probably be to get a sod cutter and just rip it all out at once, then solarize/smother for a season if you really want to burn all the weeds out. Prairie Moon Nursery also has a lot of guides and info. I bought my wildflower seeds from here earlier this year.

I'm just south of Portland OR so I'm recreating an oak savanna, it won't look very impressive this year but I'm really excited to see it next summer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I. M. Gei posted:

Why do you like posting?

Jeez, it was just a joke about eating peach pits, peaches

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A good peach pit is just an almond.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Brawnfire posted:

Jeez, it was just a joke about eating peach pits, peaches

Ah. I did not register that.

Kids, don't eat peach pits! (or almonds, for that matter)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Where do I get my amygdalin, then?

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Well it's been 3 weeks with no response from Van Engelen so that's not entirely impressive. At least the muscari are the right color.

Bonus Prunus glandulosa:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Here come the magnolia blossoms!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Wallet posted:

Well it's been 3 weeks with no response from Van Engelen so that's not entirely impressive. At least the muscari are the right color.

That absolutely sucks. Shame on them. If you have the oomph, leave a review on Dave's Garden to warn others. Your planting is very pretty.

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
I bought a townhouse condo and my condo board just slapped us with a notice saying to get our front 3x8ish ft plot in order. The previous owners had an agreement to let one of the other owners plant in it, but we tore it all out when we saw how terrible it looked and replace it with the barest covering of decorative mulch while we figured out what to do. Then we got covid and forgot.

If this is the right place to ask, what information would you guys need to help me not spend money stupidly? I'm obviously not a garden person, but I don't want to kill anything because it can't survive in Canada or something.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

redbrouw posted:

I bought a townhouse condo and my condo board just slapped us with a notice saying to get our front 3x8ish ft plot in order. The previous owners had an agreement to let one of the other owners plant in it, but we tore it all out when we saw how terrible it looked and replace it with the barest covering of decorative mulch while we figured out what to do. Then we got covid and forgot.

If this is the right place to ask, what information would you guys need to help me not spend money stupidly? I'm obviously not a garden person, but I don't want to kill anything because it can't survive in Canada or something.

Wait, the condo board is upset with a plain mulched bed? Do they require certain kinds of planting or that it's just weeded or what? I'd think they'd be happy with a mulched bed...

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

Chad Sexington posted:

Wait, the condo board is upset with a plain mulched bed? Do they require certain kinds of planting or that it's just weeded or what? I'd think they'd be happy with a mulched bed...

They are not happy with a plain bed. It's possibly also the person who was planting there being upset with us, she is an original buyer in the development.

They sent us a planning doc saying shrubs can't be more than 3ft tall, and no new trees can be planted due to some kind of settlement. I think someone tripped on a root or something.

Tbh it does look a little bad with the foundation showing so we were thinking about putting some evergreens or boxwoods in to fill the space.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That absolutely sucks. Shame on them. If you have the oomph, leave a review on Dave's Garden to warn others. Your planting is very pretty.

I sent them another email ("Are you guys alive over there?") since that seems like a long time, and they said that my report had been forwarded to their owner for review and they have not received it back yet but will let me know when they do. I have no idea what that means, but I guess it's a response?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

redbrouw posted:

They are not happy with a plain bed. It's possibly also the person who was planting there being upset with us, she is an original buyer in the development.

They sent us a planning doc saying shrubs can't be more than 3ft tall, and no new trees can be planted due to some kind of settlement. I think someone tripped on a root or something.

Tbh it does look a little bad with the foundation showing so we were thinking about putting some evergreens or boxwoods in to fill the space.
You could talk to a landscaper and get a price to put some plants in. Get a written copy of the condo policy for plantings, if that exists, to give to them. Or go to a garden center and ask for advice for stuff that will survive in your region and will be hardy. You’re going to spend money either way, depends on how much you like putting plants in the ground.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

redbrouw posted:

Depends on what "stupidly" means. A garden center in your area is likely not going to sell outdoor plants that can't survive where you are (unless you are looking at house plants, which you shouldn't if you want them to grow outside). Some plants will have specific moisture requirements, but you should mostly just need to figure out what level of sun you have where you want to plant stuff. If the garden is not in the shade in the middle of the day, you'll probably want full sun plants. Part sun and part shade and shade all basically mean "don't get mid-day sun on this". When sited and planted appropriately (and not in, say, the middle of the summer) most plants will take care of themselves outside of the occasional pruning or whatever.

If you're at an actual garden center/nursery (as opposed to Home Depot or something) they'll likely be happy to point you to plants that are particularly difficult to kill and low maintenance if that's a concern.

I am obliged to mention that boxwoods are aggressively overplanted and there will be many, many attractive and interesting alternative shrubs that would do well in your area. If you're looking online plants are pretty much always marked with the USDA hardiness zones they can survive in. There's a Canadian map of them here.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 3, 2022

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Wanna learn about botany from a foul-mouthed Chicagoan? Just stumbled on this channel and am enjoying it thoroughly.

"The middle class gotta work two jobs and are miserable all the time, probably turn into alcoholics--oh look, it's a fennel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qF2hEefXg

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I was the lazy grasshopper and missed both the fall AND spring planting windows for my replacement apple espalier trees.

Thankfully they're all in pretty good-size pots so they're not in danger of dying, but since it's probably too late to plant them in the ground this spring I'm wondering if I need to move them to bigger pots so they won't get root-bound before next fall? Doing that would also give me an opportunity to amend the soil in the pots (which is store-bought in-ground soil, because that's where the trees are gonna go eventually) with native dirt from the ground they're gonna be planted in, but do I need bigger than ~17"-21" diameter pots if the trees are only about a year or two old, or can I just amend the soil in the pots they're in now? I'm in Zone 8B in northeast Texas.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

If you're gonna swap pots why not just put them in the ground? Same amount of disturbance. Everything I've had in pots has been waay happier in the ground.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah so maybe you should have planted them weeks ago, but unless they’re going on an unirrigated exposed ridge or something, they’re probably still going to be better off in the ground.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

sexy tiger boobs posted:

If you're gonna swap pots why not just put them in the ground? Same amount of disturbance. Everything I've had in pots has been waay happier in the ground.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah so maybe you should have planted them weeks ago, but unless they’re going on an unirrigated exposed ridge or something, they’re probably still going to be better off in the ground.

In that case I'll go ahead and put them in the ground now. I've been prepping to do that for several weeks anyway but I also got sidetracked by another project I'm working on at the same time and I put more attention on it than I did on planting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Here is my deck yesterday afternoon. I have a problem (I need more plants)