Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm starting to wonder if Makee isn't going to turn out to take the place of the Arbiter. It keeps her in the thick of things throughout the plotline of 2-3 (if they decide to go with the basic story of halo 1-3 anyways), puts her in a position to turn good and get captured and held in place of Miranda in halo 3 (since only her and john in this world can use the tech, it can't be Miranda kidnapped to activate it), and most importantly of all for a TV show, they can eliminate what would be a costly main character whos CGI, and replace them with an actor in some clothes.

Having a CGI main cast member would be expensive so it would make sense for a TV production to try to eliminate that, though obviously my fingers are still crossed for an Elite voiced by Kieth David to show up....

I would hope so cus I personally would like it if Miranda doesn’t die.

But still def need Keith David if even only for a cameo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

It's growing on me a lot. I think this is better than Picard lol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

One nice thing this episode is that they didn't go the direction I and many others in here thought they might, doing a big "Oh is Makee a spy or is she trustworthy" plot, just straight up everyone knows she's up to something. And she doesn't try to hide it either. It is interesting that she didn't get to use her finger plasma sword in a chekov's gun sense anyway.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

LionArcher posted:

I mean, faint praise, but yes. Would agree.

Both started off reasonably strong with a feeling they could go either way. Halo seems like it's taking a gradual ride upwards, where Picard sloped downwards.

It's rather telling that on my partner and my viewing rotation Picard got put behind just about every other show.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Ya the madrigal poo poo should not come back, ever

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

zoux posted:

One nice thing this episode is that they didn't go the direction I and many others in here thought they might, doing a big "Oh is Makee a spy or is she trustworthy" plot, just straight up everyone knows she's up to something. And she doesn't try to hide it either. It is interesting that she didn't get to use her finger plasma sword in a chekov's gun sense anyway.

I was extremely concerned about them going the ultra gullible route and had my dad yelling at the tv voice locked and loaded

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Google Butt posted:

I was extremely concerned about them going the ultra gullible route and had my dad yelling at the tv voice locked and loaded

That one guard being like "Get her rear end chief, she's sure as poo poo a covenant spy" put the nail in that for me and I was so glad to see they didn't make everyone be an idiot.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Kingtheninja posted:

I am so confused by the execution of the interrogation hologram thing. What could that possibly accomplish compared to just having one way mirror, or cameras? Why did they need to be in a chair using their minds to talk?

I had the same reaction. I generally hate when shows use magic tech out of nowhere for techs sake to appear futuristic, especially when said tech is never used again in situations where it would be useful.

Other then the choice to have actor reactions in the same room, it only seems to make sense for showing that Halsey / Chief didn't know they were being monitored. Though you'd expect they did know - John wouldn't care, and Halsey really had any choice but to answer John as he loomed above her menacingly.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

LionArcher posted:

You say that now but the preview for episode 7 has Master Chief sneaking into a place wearing an eye-patch, beret, and doing an outraaaagous french accent.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

That one guard being like "Get her rear end chief, she's sure as poo poo a covenant spy" put the nail in that for me and I was so glad to see they didn't make everyone be an idiot.

From my time in the Navy standing guard duty I can tell you he was probably so bored out of his mind he was hoping the ol’ legend himself would kill just half a minute of his 4-6 hour watch talking to him. :v:

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I like to think that since Makee has been raised by aliens for the most part that she views other humans as the dumb and lesser beings that the Covenant propaganda makes them out to be. So she think she's being so sneaky and crafty and pulling one over the ol' UNSC whereas even the nameless door guard sees through her bullshit. Basically she's the Pakled spy from Lower Decks.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Isometric Bacon posted:

I had the same reaction. I generally hate when shows use magic tech out of nowhere for techs sake to appear futuristic, especially when said tech is never used again in situations where it would be useful.

Other then the choice to have actor reactions in the same room, it only seems to make sense for showing that Halsey / Chief didn't know they were being monitored. Though you'd expect they did know - John wouldn't care, and Halsey really had any choice but to answer John as he loomed above her menacingly.

I think it was mostly so you could have that shot of both John and Miranda staring at Halsey with various levels of betrayal/anger without cutting out of the room.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

it was probably mostly for the drama of it than it was the result of any sort of logical design process, yet i ended up liking it as a pointless bit of fancy tech, it was interesting despite being nonsensical

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

LionArcher posted:

You know, the only reason I got Paramount+ was to watch new Star Treks, and I find myself enjoying the video game show a hell of a lot more.

E: I think on a technical level, Halo seems more competently directed, edited, and filmed. Storylines can be argued with merit but sometimes Halo feels like a really expensive show crafted with some care by people who seem to know what they're doing, while everything about Picard feels lazy and sloppy and cheap. I don't know if that makes any sense, just me being bad at words.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 1, 2022

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
So seeing how we ended up on the Halo (whichever one; I'm assuming it's probably some analogy to Installation 04), does that mean we're probably going to see Guilty Spark and the Flood? Or is that probably going to be saved for next season, assuming there is one?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Seth Pecksniff posted:

So seeing how we ended up on the Halo (whichever one; I'm assuming it's probably some analogy to Installation 04), does that mean we're probably going to see Guilty Spark and the Flood? Or is that probably going to be saved for next season, assuming there is one?

Nah, I see it either going two ways as of now with how far we're into the season.

1) It's the begging of the fall of Reach with every cast member going, "oh poo poo" as a Covenant armada warps into the system with us not getting to Halo until mid or end of next season.

2) We'll be on the bridge of the Pillar of Autumn for the last few minutes of the finale looking out the window seeing Halo.

In the case of the first one I can see season 2 being all about the fall of Reach for at least the first half of the season then finally getting to Halo for the second half and the Flood being the cliffhanger on the season 2 finale.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Anita Dickinme posted:

Nah, I see it either going two ways as of now with how far we're into the season.

1) It's the begging of the fall of Reach with every cast member going, "oh poo poo" as a Covenant armada warps into the system with us not getting to Halo until mid or end of next season.

2) We'll be on the bridge of the Pillar of Autumn for the last few minutes of the finale looking out the window seeing Halo.

In the case of the first one I can see season 2 being all about the fall of Reach for at least the first half of the season then finally getting to Halo for the second half and the Flood being the cliffhanger on the season 2 finale.

I think we'll get both of those.

I think Makee will call in the covenant who'll shoot up the place, they'll abscond with the artifact, John and Keyes will blast off in the pillar of Autumn in pursuit while silver team is fighting back the landing force. The last moment of the season will be both the Pillar of Autumn above the halo installation, and silver team looking up at the sky on Reach while a huge fleet is warping in.

Season 2 will then be John and Keyes doing the Halo CE stuff, while silver team, Miranda and others fight the battle of reach.

Oh, and uh, I guess Kwan exploring the wider halo world human political stuff or something? I still have no idea what her story is going to even be about.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Season 2 will probably be an actual play of Halo CE legendary no deaths and no hacks/cheese.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tom Guycot posted:

I think we'll get both of those.

I think Makee will call in the covenant who'll shoot up the place, they'll abscond with the artifact, John and Keyes will blast off in the pillar of Autumn in pursuit while silver team is fighting back the landing force. The last moment of the season will be both the Pillar of Autumn above the halo installation, and silver team looking up at the sky on Reach while a huge fleet is warping in.

Season 2 will then be John and Keyes doing the Halo CE stuff, while silver team, Miranda and others fight the battle of reach.

Oh, and uh, I guess Kwan exploring the wider halo world human political stuff or something? I still have no idea what her story is going to even be about.

Yeah you’re absolutely right. Really hoping I’m wrong about the Flood being season 2 finale and they come in around mid season or so. Considering how well the cast did with the Covenant races I cannot wait to see the Flood live action. :allears:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Tom Guycot posted:

I think Makee will call in the covenant who'll shoot up the place, they'll abscond with the artifact, John and Keyes will blast off in the pillar of Autumn in pursuit while silver team is fighting back the landing force.

Seems like a lot of action for this character drama show about a tall dude having a mental health breakdown

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cortana is real, but all the times he hears her talking without her visibly showing up are just auditory hallucinations

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

my cat is norris posted:

Chief being so weirdly diabolical in his attempted Halsey murder felt off to me. It was a side of the character we've not seen before. I know he's sick the whole episode and going kinda crazy, but it didn't really work for me as a "Chief" moment at all.

Enjoying this as a sci-fi series with sci-fi writing for sure, I just don't know how much it feels like Halo, certain expected elements aside (like Jen Taylor's voice).
I don't think it was a diabolical murder attempt. John needed a way to find out if Cortana could hijack his body instead or just knock him out. And he couldn't exactly ask Halsey and trust her so he came up with a way to force an answer. I mean the whole thing was a little contrived and obviously a lovely thing to do to someone but now he knows she can't get Cortana to take over his motor functions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Season 2 will probably be an actual play of Halo CE legendary no deaths and no hacks/cheese.

That Rocket Flood bastard in the hallway on Two Betrayals will get an entire episode of hype buildup.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Last scene of season one will be John standing on Halo, possibly recreating the scene with Makee from last episode.

Madrigol has to go somewhere still remember.

Two minds over whether they do the fall of reach yet/at all. The show really can't devolve into a Halo CE legendary run, there needs to be space for people to do talking and politics.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I think we’ll end up in a situation where the Madrigal plot smashes into Halo, where ‘Generic fantasy/space dictator played by Burn Gorman…again’ will unwittingly release the Flood, either as a defence mechanism against the Covenant or Mines of Moria style as they try to salvage/dismantle the station.

He’ll have a particularly gruesome death scene because he’s so good at playing the absolute worst people.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

just edit out all the madrigal poo poo real quick it's fine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Turns out the Flood is just Amos coming by to say thank you again.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Solenna posted:

I don't think it was a diabolical murder attempt. John needed a way to find out if Cortana could hijack his body instead or just knock him out. And he couldn't exactly ask Halsey and trust her so he came up with a way to force an answer. I mean the whole thing was a little contrived and obviously a lovely thing to do to someone but now he knows she can't get Cortana to take over his motor functions.

If I'm remembering the earlier episode right, the newly born Cortana was portrayed as if she was designed to / wanted to completely take over Chief's body, but Halsey held her back from doing so.

It appears, unless they're changing their mind mid season, that Cortana was lying about only being able to disable motor functions and Halsey must have seen through what Chief was doing, otherwise she presumably [I]could[/] have had Cortana take over.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Alchenar posted:

The show really can't devolve into a Halo CE legendary run,

Says you!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Would legit have so much respect for the showrunners if the last episode this season is a run-through of the first three or so levels of Halo, John running through a perfect 1-1 recreation of the game levels.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Spending $100m to make the most expensive LP ever

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alchenar posted:

Would legit have so much respect for the showrunners if the last episode this season is a run-through of the first three or so levels of Halo, John running through a perfect 1-1 recreation of the game levels.

drat I would absolutely love this. :allears:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Solenna posted:

But she can, though. Halsey has simply not enabled it yet. Cortana outright states this.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

But she can, though. Halsey has simply not enabled it yet. Cortana outright states this.
If she could but it's not enabled, then she can't. At least right now.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One thing I've felt about the show, and really about everything Halo since 343 took over is that it doesn't let itself be goofy nearly as often as the Bungie era. I like how Pablo has crazy eyes and the Grunt doing a shot for shot remake of the vehicle hijacking animation, but these feel incidental rather than intentional. Things are way too serious without a counterbalance of fun.

The lack of Halo music is honestly the biggest thing. Marty and Mike could do epic space music, playful sneaking music or just go "gently caress it" and start blasting electric guitars when required. Half of Halo's personality is in the music.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Arc Hammer posted:

The lack of Halo music is honestly the biggest thing. Marty and Mike could do epic space music, playful sneaking music or just go "gently caress it" and start blasting electric guitars when required. Half of Halo's personality is in the music.
I find it interesting they can use the main Halo theme every so often if they don't own the rights to anything else. Maybe it has separate licensing?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Solenna posted:

I really hope she can still hijack his body and was just totally willing to let Halsey die or just knew he would never do it. Though I guess her wanting to keep her limit hidden at all is kind of a nefarious long-term agenda I'm not sure makes any sense yet.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I really hope she can still hijack his body and was just totally willing to let Halsey die or just knew he would never do it. Though I guess her wanting to keep her limit hidden at all is kind of a nefarious long-term agenda I'm not sure makes any sense yet.

I was really holding out hope that Cortana is just starting to like Chief and doesn’t want to betray him so just flat out refuses to do it. But I’m sure there will be a situation in the future where she absolutely has to do it, probably to save John’s life, and it’ll bring out that drama that TV shows and movies live by.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I know enough halo game lore to know Cortana eventually becomes a villain of some sort, which is probably why I'm assuming she's gotta be evil. That or her weird CG just makes you instinctively not like or trust her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I know enough halo game lore to know Cortana eventually becomes a villain of some sort, which is probably why I'm assuming she's gotta be evil. That or her weird CG just makes you instinctively not like or trust her.

It’s called Rampancy. It happens after seven years of them being created that makes them go quite insane and evil. It’s a really cool thing and one of the few things I liked that 343 added but I’m not even sure if they added it or stole it from a book.

So Cortana isn’t there yet.