Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I bought a whiskey barrel I want to cut in half! Is there anything specific/recommended I do to accomplish this? I have a jigsaw, that's what I was planning on using. Not cutting through any of the metal, only the wood portions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

I bought a whiskey barrel I want to cut in half! Is there anything specific/recommended I do to accomplish this? I have a jigsaw, that's what I was planning on using. Not cutting through any of the metal, only the wood portions.

Jigsaw would probably do it, but it'll take a while. Scribe out a line around the barrel where you want it cut, drill 2-3 holes so you can get the blade in, and then start cutting. A reciprocating saw would do the same job much faster

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Mederlock posted:

Jigsaw would probably do it, but it'll take a while. Scribe out a line around the barrel where you want it cut, drill 2-3 holes so you can get the blade in, and then start cutting. A reciprocating saw would do the same job much faster

Seconding a sawzall. I just got done ripping tops off food grade barrels for rain buckets and this exact strategy got me through them in drat seconds.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also, just throwing out there that if you are doing rain barrels in the Pacific Northwest 65 gallons is a literally meaningless volume. Filled in 3 loving days.

Good thing I have three more barrels :smuggo:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Mederlock posted:

Ooh an excuse to get another tool is always welcome... :getin:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Look at it closely to make sure that the barrel will hold together after you cut it, of course. Many traditional barrels are held together by the tension between the staves and the hoops, like an arch. It would be a shame if you got through it and it fell apart into a jumble half-staves and hoops.

I know that sounds pedantic but like... I've done equivalent things.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CommonShore posted:

Look at it closely to make sure that the barrel will hold together after you cut it, of course. Many traditional barrels are held together by the tension between the staves and the hoops, like an arch. It would be a shame if you got through it and it fell apart into a jumble half-staves and hoops.

Yeah. A legit wooden barrel will not stay together if you cut it in half unless you add a band on either side of the cut.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
This guy just did some barrel surgery, used a small circular saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ihhV7KmVjY

But it's also a specific "create a door on the barrel" kind of work.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

lol I actually thought of this exact scenario happening! It's an actual whiskey barrel and has the metal bands around it so I.. think I'm safe?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Johnny Truant posted:

lol I actually thought of this exact scenario happening! It's an actual whiskey barrel and has the metal bands around it so I.. think I'm safe?

Quite the opposite, I fear. The way that traditional barrels are made is by hammering the band - the hoop - down around the staves to create a wedging action that pushes the staves into each other. The two metal hoops going in from either end toward the convex centre creates the wedging pressure all around and that's what keeps things in place, just as downward pressure/gravity is what pushes a keystone down into an arch to create stability. Sometimes rivets/tacks/nails/pins are added, I think, to keep the hoop from slipping out, but they don't do anything to keep the staves in place.

Ask yourself if you see anything holding each individual stave in place other than the hoop's wedging action. Post pictures, maybe?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Quite the opposite, I fear. The way that traditional barrels are made is by hammering the band - the hoop - down around the staves to create a wedging action that pushes the staves into each other. The two metal hoops going in from either end toward the convex centre creates the wedging pressure all around and that's what keeps things in place, just as downward pressure/gravity is what pushes a keystone down into an arch to create stability. Sometimes rivets/tacks/nails/pins are added, I think, to keep the hoop from slipping out, but they don't do anything to keep the staves in place.

Ask yourself if you see anything holding each individual stave in place other than the hoop's wedging action. Post pictures, maybe?

Oh dear :ohdear:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Ok, so four bands seems more secure than the two that I was imagining. I'm entirely doing guesswork here but if you cut it right in the centre, the staves might keep each other in place by forming a horizontal arch structure.

What are you making from it? Maybe this would be a good one to shift over to the woodworking thread.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

Ok, so four bands seems more secure than the two that I was imagining. I'm entirely doing guesswork here but if you cut it right in the centre, the staves might keep each other in place by forming a horizontal arch structure.

What are you making from it? Maybe this would be a good one to shift over to the woodworking thread.

I can definitely hop over there if requested, although the only woodworking really being done is cutting it in half, haha.

I saw a youtube video where a dude uses these as post bases for hanging lights outdoors, and also as planters. So the plan is cut in half, affix posts to bottom, drill holes for planter, throw in a few heavy cement blocks, then fill with dirt and plants.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Fill it with water, let sit for a while, make swish, sell swish or drink it. Reap benefits of cheap booze

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I'm looking for an automatic lawn mower robot. Not because I have a massive lawn, but because I'm lazy and can't be bothered mowing the lawn every week or whatever.
The total surface is like 150-180 m2. So a small robot should suffice.
However, I have a lawn at the back of my house, and a small lawn in the front. There's no way to connect both lawns with guiding cables that most robots seem to use. I don't care if I have to pick up the robot and chuck it on the smaller lawn, but I don't know which (if any) models allow that. Does this thread have any suggestions?

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

shut up blegum posted:

I'm looking for an automatic lawn mower robot. Not because I have a massive lawn, but because I'm lazy and can't be bothered mowing the lawn every week or whatever.
However, I have a lawn at the back of my house, and a small lawn in the front. There's no way to connect both lawns with guiding cables that most robots seem to use. I don't care if I have to pick up the robot and chuck it on the smaller lawn, but I don't know which (if any) models allow that. Does this thread have any suggestions?

Just a heads up, most of the smart ones are gonna run you a few thousand before you get anything of quality. Also completely ignore any of the low end ones, they typically bounce off the perimeter rather than cut in a pattern which means you'll have grass that won't get cut for multiple sessions giving you some really uneven height.

If you're intent on it, the husqvarna robo-mowers imo do the best job for the price, and you can set multiple zones to travel between (as long as they're close an unobstructed) but you're looking at a couple grand to buy in at a minimum on them.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Johnny Truant posted:

I can definitely hop over there if requested, although the only woodworking really being done is cutting it in half, haha.

I saw a youtube video where a dude uses these as post bases for hanging lights outdoors, and also as planters. So the plan is cut in half, affix posts to bottom, drill holes for planter, throw in a few heavy cement blocks, then fill with dirt and plants.

An idea occurred to me. You could drill holes in the upper-middle and lower-middle band's just wide enough to accept a good nail but not deep into the wood, and nail it all the way around, before you actually cut it. Nails have good shear strength and ductility, might hold it all together

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Sakara123 posted:

Just a heads up, most of the smart ones are gonna run you a few thousand before you get anything of quality. Also completely ignore any of the low end ones, they typically bounce off the perimeter rather than cut in a pattern which means you'll have grass that won't get cut for multiple sessions giving you some really uneven height.

If you're intent on it, the husqvarna robo-mowers imo do the best job for the price, and you can set multiple zones to travel between (as long as they're close an unobstructed) but you're looking at a couple grand to buy in at a minimum on them.

Counter solution- buy a goat.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mr. Mambold posted:

Sakara123 posted:

they typically bounce off the perimeter rather than cut in a pattern which means you'll have grass that won't get cut for multiple sessions giving you some really uneven height.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

shut up blegum posted:

Just hire someone to come do it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yeah your ROI on robot lawnmower vs the twice monthly lawn care guy is like 2 or 3 years.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
Goats - what they won't eat they stomp flatter than piss on a plate. Will turn blackberries and alder into milk. Second only in destructive force to:

Pigs - tasty, but only get these if you want to loosen things up for an excavator.

Sheep - easy to manage, tend to stay where you put them, but basically 200 lbs of stupidity looking for a painful way to die. Highly vulnerable to dogs, leading to neighbourhood wars.

Ponies - might kill you if handled wrong, get life threatening tummyaches if you have the wrong sort of weeds in your lawn. Have their own opinions about where your paths should be and the edibility of tea bushes or decorative flowers like Stocks or Hellebores.

Asses - only for people who also like Siamese cats or Airdale terriers. Will stomp marauding dogs into grease slicks, leading to neighbourhood wars. Will never need an alarm clock with one on the property. Great revenge on the neighbour whose dogs killed your sheep.

Rabbits/Guinea Pigs - effective for small areas, but easily overwhelmed on large lawns. Travelling cage needs to be dog-proof and built out of something stronger than chicken wire.

Geese - mow the lawn unevenly. A large goose can produce close to a kilogram of poop per day so lawn ends up well fertilized but slick. Better than most dogs as guard animals but don't make a lot of distinctions between friends and foe.

Get the robot.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
wtf is a neighborhood war

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Motion to rename thread to Tools, Robots, Animal Husbandry.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Whisky or wine barrels will shrink, lose their bands, and lose their structural integrity unless the staves stay hydrated.

Luckily, that’s a condition that’s easy to meet when they’re in use (and filled with booze) or repurposed with planters (and filled with moist soil).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Whisky or wine barrels will shrink, lose their bands, and lose their structural integrity unless the staves stay hydrated.

Luckily, that’s a condition that’s easy to meet when they’re in use (and filled with booze) or repurposed with planters (and filled with moist soil).

*furiously fills barrel with booze*

Sorry honey, internet says the barrel will shrink if it isn't filled with booze, the planters be damned!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah the barrel might sort of fall apart when you cut it, but as long as there is pressure from say 400lb of dirt pushing the staves out into the hoops it will be fine.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think while you're cutting it you just have to be careful that you're not applying too much inward pressure on any of the staves, because that's where there's no support. You could get as crazy as putting some temporary bracing inside to apply outward pressure on each stave as you cut it (and readjusting every time you get through another stave) or maybe all you need to do is just use a blade/tool that only cuts on the upswing. I know jigsaw blades can specify which direction they cut in, not sure about sawz-all. Or you could even use a handsaw and only cut on the upstroke, slightly moving the saw teeth out of the material for the down cut.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Trabant posted:

Motion to rename thread to Tools, Robots, Animal Husbandry Oh My.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What's everyone's favorite very hot/humid weather work pants? I usually wear the thinnest canvas carhartt's but they get soaked with sweat pretty quickly. Is there some kind of newfangled high tech fabric I need to know about? I don't wear shorts because I hate woodchips/sawdust getting in my shoes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What's everyone's favorite very hot/humid weather work pants? I usually wear the thinnest canvas carhartt's but they get soaked with sweat pretty quickly. Is there some kind of newfangled high tech fabric I need to know about? I don't wear shorts because I hate woodchips/sawdust getting in my shoes.

I have these hiking pants from Costco that are pretty great. My other go-to (not in hot weather) is a pair of stretchy jeans with gusseted crotch made for bouldering which gives me great mobility and flexibility for working in tight or awkward spaces.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Tennesee Fainting Lawnmower

Sous Videodrome
Apr 9, 2020

I just bought a palm nailer. The hole in what I'll call the chuck is noticeably off-center. Is this supposed to be like that? If it will affect operation I'll return it.

Magnet is centered, the hole isn't

Sous Videodrome fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 4, 2022

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

if you're concerned, exchange it.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Has anyone used either of harbor freight's benchtop drill presses (5 speed + 1/3 HP or 12 speed + 5/8 HP)? I'm looking for a cheap benchtop press for drilling plastic and sheet metal, and to possibly attach a cross slide vice to do to extremely light plastic milling.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've always liked shorts. Maybe check out those paper shoe covers hospitals use, although they can be slippery.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Shootout to whoever mentioned mounting cordless battery chargers on the wall. Best 20 minutes spent in the garage today freeing up space on my to of my toolbox.

Anybody have recommendations for a label maker?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Suburban Dad posted:

Shootout to whoever mentioned mounting cordless battery chargers on the wall. Best 20 minutes spent in the garage today freeing up space on my to of my toolbox.

Anybody have recommendations for a label maker?

Anything dyno if you just want peel and stick. Look for a full keyboard. Most standard labels are like 1/2" tape so sizes max out at that unless you get something bigger.

Using a label maker for garage organization is the way to go. The only other thing I do on totes that I want to see easily from a distance is blue painters tape and a black sharpie.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Slanderer posted:

Has anyone used either of harbor freight's benchtop drill presses (5 speed + 1/3 HP or 12 speed + 5/8 HP)? I'm looking for a cheap benchtop press for drilling plastic and sheet metal, and to possibly attach a cross slide vice to do to extremely light plastic milling.

I picked up the 12 speed cause it'll do half the RPM of the other one which I like for drilling metal. It seems... OK. I haven't used it much yet and have limited drill press experience otherwise. Definitely can feel the cheapness in the thing and tensioning the belts was annoying. It's definitely better than clamping stuff to a table and using a hand drill!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Verman posted:

Anything dyno if you just want peel and stick. Look for a full keyboard. Most standard labels are like 1/2" tape so sizes max out at that unless you get something bigger.

Don't the new Dymo labellers use DRM on their labels and force you to spend 10x the money on refills?