Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just back from 10 days in Paris, and the eating was as good as it always is. Best thing this time though was a late night crepe covered with a fresh egg, döner meat, gruyere, zhug, and with something like tzadziki on the side for dipping, folded into quarters and eaten on the go. Holy cow that's some good fusion food that i didn't know I needed regularly in my life.

That sounds incredible. I love Paris. I love France too. And Spain! Italy is also wonderful. And I really enjoyed Portugal! (Travel is grand).

PS still not vegetarian anymore I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I was in Lille last week, and one day I had andouillette for lunch, and a second andouillette for dinner. It was phenomenal.

I also moved past meat sweats, into a new and horrifying phase of existence

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Aww yeah andouillette buddies right here :hf:. I was on a bit of a search for them while I was there, and actually had a reaaaaalllly good one at a touristy brasserie by the Champs du Mars. What an awesome sausage. If you ever get to Mexico or certain parts of the Southwest US, you can find a Mexican version of it that's just basically the same but with some added chile. Number 1 best taco filling in my opinion.

So yeah, still not a vegetarian. Though I am on most days I suppose.

This was our first overseas trip since COVID, and dang it was good to travel again.

Mr. Wiggles fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 16, 2022

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Re:travel chat

I am splitting my time between NYC and Louisville because of a confluence of unemployment and love, and I have to tell you-

The flour is better down here. We bought 30# for a dollar and change a pound. And the bread I am turning out is sensational.

Happy Religious observations and/or day drinking!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

gently caress, I made some kimchi this afternoon, but when I went to put in garlic I noticed my garlic was going bad. This batch will just have to do without it.

I guess I could mix some in partway through fermenting, but it'll have to wait for Monday.

Edit: also I wish I could travel. I got married in October 2019 and we were planning to delay our honeymoon until spring 2020 and well the whole covid thing kind of derailed that. I don't think I'm ready to get back on a plane yet, but maybe eventually.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Speaking of traveling I am from SoCal and up in Oregon and lmfao forever at the “Mexican” food up here. The food is quite good but it’s not out of the ordinary for there to be paella and Spanish churros on the menu. Spanish churros > Mexican churros anyway

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Yesterday we visited a friend who lives in the semi-countryside. I picked some wild garlic. My son (10) suggested using it to make a “garlicky chick pea stew”, which is what my wife just made, together with flatbreads and a wild garlic pesto. So delicious. Such a good suggestion from the child! I’m so proud of him.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

therattle posted:

Yesterday we visited a friend who lives in the semi-countryside. I picked some wild garlic. My son (10) suggested using it to make a “garlicky chick pea stew”, which is what my wife just made, together with flatbreads and a wild garlic pesto. So delicious. Such a good suggestion from the child! I’m so proud of him.

That sounds good. Your kid want a side gig in menu planning?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That sounds good. Your kid want a side gig in menu planning?

He comes up with some wacky suggestions but sometimes hits the nail on the head. The other day he asked me to make sag paneer (“Indian cheese and spinach”), dal and rice, and he’s been nagging me for sweet and sour tofu.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
now I want some saag paneer.

Your kid's got good taste :unsmith:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leraika posted:

now I want some saag paneer.

Your kid's got good taste :unsmith:

He does, actually. He eats most things we give him, and enjoys them. It's a pleasure feeding him. And now he has started suggesting meals, which is great (and helpful).

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The feijoa bush in our front yard of this rented house produced a reasonable crop this year, and we had never had them before. I found a recipe for feijoa meringue pie on a New Zealand website and my wife and I finished it off for breakfast this morning. I posted about it on Facebook and a friend in Canada I hadn't spoken to for decades asked what they taste like.

I like them, but I find it very difficult to describe the taste. Kinda like a kiwi (but not really close), with more acidity like a lime. They look like limes (with a dead flower on one end) which is maybe why my mind goes that way for the flavour, which really isn't much like a lime at all. Feijoas taste like feijoas the way I guess bananas taste like bananas and peaches taste like peaches. Presumably a chemist with access to a gas chromatograph or a mass spec would be able to tell me which compounds are contributing to the smell and taste (and I know a few such chemists and have met their shiny analytical machines, but they wouldn't be interested in this question).

If you've had a feijoa, how would you describe the taste to someone who's never had one?

EDIT: The Wikipedia page for Feijoa sellowiana goes some way to answering my question, but I'm still curious what the Goons have to say.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 4, 2022

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You’re very lucky. Feijoas are delicious. They grow very well here in Atlanta and at our restaurant we get one big delivery of them every August or so. Our chef made an amba-style condiment out of them last year by lightly fermenting them, which might be a fun thing for you to try if you need new ways to use them. You can also make a surprisingly versatile cocktail bitters by vaccuum sealing the scooped-out hulls with high-proof neutral grain spirit for a couple days and then straining. We make a couple liters of this every feijoa season.

To answer your question, feijoa mostly reminds me of white guava or guayabana/soursop. Or maybe pawpaw. These are not fruits most people are familiar with, but neither is feijoa.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Those are fantastic suggestions, thank you. They don't last long once they've fallen from the branch, more than half of what we collected turned brown and mushy within a week and now we have a minor Drosophila problem in the kitchen. I think their shelf life is similar to a banana - but a brown banana can go into the freezer for later (hypothetical) banana bread, a brown feijoa is just a nastly little bag of goo (and maggots).

I especially like the cocktail bitters idea, I think there are still a few on the bush and we have some nothing-special vodka just sitting around.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
You want something higher-proof than vodka for bitters. I use 190-proof grain alcohol. You could infuse the whole fruits into the vodka and see what happens though. Make some feijoa gimlets with that, maybe.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

First time making ice cream base using xanthan, locust bean gum and lecithin. Wild stuff, this is at ~120°F

https://i.imgur.com/YO4rmGo.mp4

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

That is unsettling :stare:

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Enfys posted:

That is unsettling :stare:

Well, it's gelatinous, so that follows.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

so this isn't exactly the right place for this, but:

My mom got an instant pot for her birthday, which is super cool! The problem is that she is very intimidated by elaborate recipes, or recipes which contain a lot of ingredients. Does anyone have any ideas for good, low-ingredient dishes (especially soups) that I can suggest to her?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
On an extremely similar note, I was offered a free 'lightly used' air fryer today. I have 2 ovens which are great (1 convection, which, I suppose it's ok? not really sure what the fuss is about, but it's new) and I have friends who go completely insane about air fryers, one used to be a cook.

Anyway, I said yes, on the assumption that I can re-gift it if it's useless. What will air fryers do that will blow my mind? what should I try with a new air fryer?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redreader posted:

On an extremely similar note, I was offered a free 'lightly used' air fryer today. I have 2 ovens which are great (1 convection, which, I suppose it's ok? not really sure what the fuss is about, but it's new) and I have friends who go completely insane about air fryers, one used to be a cook.

Anyway, I said yes, on the assumption that I can re-gift it if it's useless. What will air fryers do that will blow my mind? what should I try with a new air fryer?

Personally I like to do any of the regular green veggies, sprayed with a bit of oil and salt. Broccoli, brussel sprouts, Asparagus. I've never actually done brussel sprouts in an oven successfully. Air fryer is way faster and easier.

I also like bok choy leaves same way, I want them done enough to be crispy.

Lots of other snack foods are just easier and faster. Shishito peppers, bacon wrapped cream cheese jalapenos.

I don't think any of these (except brussel sprouts) are better in an air frier instead of an oven. I do find them easier and faster.

Edit: My wife likes this youtube channel for a lot of instant pot recipes that are easy and good.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWP5zYusIJqJCK27A0NlAKg

CainFortea fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 6, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

redreader posted:

I don't know if I would buy one but I was recently staying at an Airbnb that had one, so I cooked some bacon in it and it was very fast and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to clean because you could just pull out the rack and drip tray and dump them in the dishwasher.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Leraika posted:

My mom got an instant pot for her birthday, which is super cool! The problem is that she is very intimidated by elaborate recipes, or recipes which contain a lot of ingredients. Does anyone have any ideas for good, low-ingredient dishes (especially soups) that I can suggest to her?

The instant pot is just a pressure cooker, and thus can do anything from making stock, to making simple navy bean soup, to dal, to full on pot roast dinners.

What kind of food or soup does your mom like? Simply Google that and you'll find a million recipes online.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Leraika posted:

If it's multiple ingredients that are intimidating, there are a bunch of "5-ingredient instant pot" cookbooks

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Honestly? Beans are great. It's like beans, liquid, salt, garlic/onion. Cooks quickly, shows off the best characteristics of the quick cooking time, easy. If she hates been that's another issue.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What region of ingredients is your mom comfortable/familiar with OP? Some very easy bangers in the Southeast Asian wheelhouse.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
If your mom is an unadventurous American food person, beef stew on a weeknight is a great introduction as it’s all the same steps as normal, except you cut out 6 hours of cooking after everything is in the pot.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
Since we are doing appliance chat, I’m in search of a good rice cooker. My parents could do plenty in the kitchen, but rice was always for the rice cooker, so I’m still a little shaky on just doing it in a heavy bottom pot.

In college, my girlfriend’s roommate was moving out so she had some appliances to give away, including a rice cooker the make of which I wish I remembered because I took the #1 bus home and little Asian ladies were glaring at me like “where’d you get the nice pot from, kid?”. It served me very well for a decade and a half, but I gave it up when consolidating my house with my ex-fiancé, a move I regret (same goes for my one cup food processor, suggestions welcomed there as well).

So, I guess I’m chasing a solid state (no fuzzy logic or whatever) rice cooker that’s built to last and won’t break the bank (as my partner & I are between work for the moment). Your goony advice is solicited.

mystes
May 31, 2006

"solid state" and "fuzzy logic" aren't opposites

You can get a fancy one or a cheap $12 aroma one and they'll both make basic white rice fine

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Get an Aroma rice cooker. I've been using one for years and years, and it makes fantastic rice every time. They're at every store that sells this sort of thing.

https://www.aromaco.com/product/digital-rice-grain-multicooker-arc-994sb/

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Get an Aroma rice cooker. I've been using one for years and years, and it makes fantastic rice every time. They're at every store that sells this sort of thing.

https://www.aromaco.com/product/digital-rice-grain-multicooker-arc-994sb/

Neat, thanks.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Lotta help immediately, thanks!

Anne Whateley posted:

If it's multiple ingredients that are intimidating, there are a bunch of "5-ingredient instant pot" cookbooks

Definitely will be looking into these, thanks! Any that you particularly recommend? I've also started collecting a list from some quick googling.

Carillon posted:

Honestly? Beans are great. It's like beans, liquid, salt, garlic/onion. Cooks quickly, shows off the best characteristics of the quick cooking time, easy. If she hates been that's another issue.

She likes and has lentils so we'll probably end up doing a nice lentil soup at some point. She's also into beans and chickpeas but usually buys them canned and I'm not certain I'd be able to sell her on using an instant pot and dried legumes instead.

VelociBacon posted:

What region of ingredients is your mom comfortable/familiar with OP? Some very easy bangers in the Southeast Asian wheelhouse.

She's an adventurous eater but a very unadventurous cook. Not entirely sure I'd be able to sell her on anything with ingredients she wouldn't be easily able to incorporate into other dishes (and a lot of her meals are like vegetable microwaved with salsa or bullion cube, then bread, and then yogurt and fruit). Anything vegetable-heavy would be nice, though.

Also yeah, absolutely get an Aroma rice cooker; I got mine for like $30 and it's extremely good.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leraika posted:

Lotta help immediately, thanks!

Definitely will be looking into these, thanks! Any that you particularly recommend? I've also started collecting a list from some quick googling.

She likes and has lentils so we'll probably end up doing a nice lentil soup at some point. She's also into beans and chickpeas but usually buys them canned and I'm not certain I'd be able to sell her on using an instant pot and dried legumes instead.

She's an adventurous eater but a very unadventurous cook. Not entirely sure I'd be able to sell her on anything with ingredients she wouldn't be easily able to incorporate into other dishes (and a lot of her meals are like vegetable microwaved with salsa or bullion cube, then bread, and then yogurt and fruit). Anything vegetable-heavy would be nice, though.

Also yeah, absolutely get an Aroma rice cooker; I got mine for like $30 and it's extremely good.

Show her the price difference between cooking your own dried legumes and pulses, and buying canned. I don’t always a cook dried (tins are convenient) but when I do i make a big batch and freeze portions in plastic takeaway containers.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

the greatest thing about an instant pot is using it to "soak" dried beans in under an hour

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
If it's black beans I don't even bother soaking. Just pop em in for 45 min.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Guildenstern Mother posted:

If it's black beans I don't even bother soaking. Just pop em in for 45 min.

Apparently black beans don’t need soaking regardless

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I used to have a rice cooker but never felt like I was using it to the full potential. It was a zojirushi with fuzzy logic and it made amazing rice, but it took forever and it was “one more appliance” for my small kitchen.

I make rice maybe once every 2-3 weeks for an Asian dish I decide to make (kung pao chicken or orange chicken). It’s me and the wife eating rice so we don’t need a ton of it. I usually just cook 1 cup of jasmine rice to 1 1/3 cup water in a pot and it’s done in 25 minutes…the results are usually decent.

I thought rice cookers were generally for large batches over a day or two of use. Does a rice cooker fit my needs? I’d do a cheap aroma over a $200 zojirushi this time around-my chief complaint with the pot is the random times the heat is just a bit too high and the rice water boils over, making a huge mess before I can lower the heat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

nwin posted:

I used to have a rice cooker but never felt like I was using it to the full potential. It was a zojirushi with fuzzy logic and it made amazing rice, but it took forever and it was “one more appliance” for my small kitchen.

I make rice maybe once every 2-3 weeks for an Asian dish I decide to make (kung pao chicken or orange chicken). It’s me and the wife eating rice so we don’t need a ton of it. I usually just cook 1 cup of jasmine rice to 1 1/3 cup water in a pot and it’s done in 25 minutes…the results are usually decent.

I thought rice cookers were generally for large batches over a day or two of use. Does a rice cooker fit my needs? I’d do a cheap aroma over a $200 zojirushi this time around-my chief complaint with the pot is the random times the heat is just a bit too high and the rice water boils over, making a huge mess before I can lower the heat.

I bloody love mine. It’s also a slow cooker but that only really gets used for overnight porridge in winter. It’s much better at cooking rice than I am, fuss-free, and takes about 15 min for white rice. I am sure you can get smaller ones for smaller portions and storage.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I have a little cheap one that I use a lot for brown rice, pilafs, etc. Works like a charm and I love how it's absolutely zero thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For rice I got rid of my rice cooker and just use my pressure cooker. I can do as much or as little as I need, but more importantly it's very quick. I've a stovetop model so not sure how quick it would be with an instant pot, but the rice is perfect.