Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have this one, it works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X9VZ70/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Verman posted:

Anything dyno if you just want peel and stick. Look for a full keyboard. Most standard labels are like 1/2" tape so sizes max out at that unless you get something bigger.

Using a label maker for garage organization is the way to go. The only other thing I do on totes that I want to see easily from a distance is blue painters tape and a black sharpie.

That doesn't sound like enough contrast for my eyes. :corsair: Thanks for the rec.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
My wife has an Etsy shop, so I label my totes with 4x6 shipping labels in ~24pt bold font. It's just a Rollo thermal printer and fanfold labels, she usually runs through a couple boxes a year.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Dymo is trash imo, go with Brother or Brady if you need Good Labels

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Johnny Truant posted:

Dymo is trash imo, go with Brother or Brady if you need Good Labels

Not if you go O.G.

Trabant posted:

I bought an old label maker off eBay:

It's still pretty accurate though:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I always found those old-school Dymo labels would peel themselves off. That thick plastic roll just doesn't want to stay flat and works itself off the surface.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
We use brother ptouch and Panduit panther at work for cable and IT device labeling

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I have a brother ptouch, I like it except for two things: I don't use it that much, and it drains batteries when not in use, so I have to take one of the AAAs out when I'm not using it, and it doesn't have configurable horizontal padding so it wastes tape.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I just grabbed a stack of printer labels from Amazon and fed them through a laser printer. If you type on the appropriate word Template it's a snap and you can find lots of different label sizes etc. Might not be good enough for someone needing a more robust plastic label or something exposed to solvents and the like, but for labeling totes in my basement storage / boxes in the shop etc it's nice and cheap if you've already got a printer at home. They work fine on inkjet as well.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

powderific posted:

I picked up the 12 speed cause it'll do half the RPM of the other one which I like for drilling metal. It seems... OK. I haven't used it much yet and have limited drill press experience otherwise. Definitely can feel the cheapness in the thing and tensioning the belts was annoying. It's definitely better than clamping stuff to a table and using a hand drill!

OK is probably fine for me, thanks. I'm trying to decide between it and an old similarly sized + rated craftsman from Craigslist (when new, the craftsman would have been better, but its old enough that getting replacement parts is expensive and tricky)

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-...ds&locale=en-US

Makita hack is active on home depot today. You buy the $250 36v Rear handle circular saw and get a free tool. In the shopping cart the discount is applied split between the two items, so if you just want the circular saw, or just want a tool from the free tool selection, its the best discount you can get. After purchasing just return or cancel the item you don't want.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

AmericanBarbarian posted:

Makita hack is active on home depot today. You buy the $250 36v Rear handle circular saw and get a free tool. In the shopping cart the discount is applied split between the two items, so if you just want the circular saw, or just want a tool from the free tool selection, its the best discount you can get. After purchasing just return or cancel the item you don't want.

I did this a few months ago and got an 18V ROS. I kept the saw, and it's a beast, but I realized I probably actually wanted a more lightweight 18V circ saw.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

more falafel please posted:

I did this a few months ago and got an 18V ROS. I kept the saw, and it's a beast, but I realized I probably actually wanted a more lightweight 18V circ saw.

Yeah I wish their 6.5 inch saws went on sale more, but its mostly 7.25 inch ones.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Came across this today in my search for a used commercial mower. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts:

https://imgur.com/ZLR4Gmb

The engine has been swapped and is only 2 years old (new engine was roughly $2.5k). New engine is now air-cooled, instead of old water-cooled.

It has the bagger with blower.

They said the seller is asking about $5k for it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This wouldn't happen to work on Milwaukee tools too, would it?

I already have a corded Makita circ saw (5007F) and have been eyeing several Milwaukee things, although if this saw is easier to hook up to a track than my current one then I might be persuaded to bite on it anyway. I could certainly think of worse battery platforms to buy into than Makita.

EDIT: Looks like the base on the XSR01PT isn't compatible with Makita brand circ saw tracks. Bummer. Maybe it works with tracks made by other companies though?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 6, 2022

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Came across this today in my search for a used commercial mower. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts:

https://imgur.com/ZLR4Gmb

The engine has been swapped and is only 2 years old (new engine was roughly $2.5k). New engine is now air-cooled, instead of old water-cooled.

It has the bagger with blower.

They said the seller is asking about $5k for it.

That motor's a beast, so that's good. Skag is good, so that's good. The problem with evaluating used commercial equipment from pictures is that you can't get an idea of maintenance. When were the hydros last serviced? Did they ever change the fluid in the hydros? What about lubing all the move-y parts? Indoor or outdoor storage? At $5k, it should be sorted.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

meatpimp posted:

That motor's a beast, so that's good. Skag is good, so that's good. The problem with evaluating used commercial equipment from pictures is that you can't get an idea of maintenance. When were the hydros last serviced? Did they ever change the fluid in the hydros? What about lubing all the move-y parts? Indoor or outdoor storage? At $5k, it should be sorted.

Thanks. The place I looked at it is the same place I get my own things serviced, and they've been fantastic. I also got my snowblower there last year.

This mower was part of a fleet from their biggest customer, who is fastidious in his maintenance (all through this particular place.)

They had said they already also went through everything when it came in, and would do it again before it left the shop. 30 day warranty as well.

e: I'm able to look at the mower and ask questions, these are my own pictures. Is there something specific I should look for / ask about? Should I try and talk them down in price?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

The Makita deal at Home Depot is also good on the XSH06PT circ saw which is ALSO not track-compatible, but is a couple pounds lighter than the XSR01PT and has a (very slightly) deeper cut depth.

drat this looks like a sweet deal, but not being able to hook it up to a track is a dealbreaker for me. If I'm gonna burn money on a new circ saw then I'd at least want it to be able to do that.

Do Makita and Milwaukee saws typically go on sale for Memorial/Father's Day?

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

I. M. Gei posted:

This wouldn't happen to work on Milwaukee tools too, would it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCNSLJuwI6A&t=185s

Yeah you can hack Milwaukee too. Right now there is only 1 deal going, what you can hack cycles in and out.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://i.imgur.com/JuBqDsq.mp4

A cordless drill tractor pull

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just watched that way too many times

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Suburban Dad posted:

I just watched that way too many times

Plus, it ended too quickly... how did it end? WHO WON?

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

meatpimp posted:

Milwaukee, The dewalt got the battery sent to another dimension in the first frame lol

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

*Eric Cartman voice* "DRIIIIIILL FIIIIIIGHT!!"

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Anyone got a cheap inspection camera/borescope for an Android phone that they like? Available on Amazon would be great, since I've got some gift cards to burn anyway.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

meatpimp posted:

Whichever drill you get for free.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

meatpimp posted:

It looks line one was forward and one was reverse so they were just spinning super fast instead of actually battling each other.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

canyoneer posted:

https://i.imgur.com/JuBqDsq.mp4

A cordless drill tractor pull

Is this in Texas where other tool idiocies like belt sander drag races are born?

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Slugworth posted:

Anyone got a cheap inspection camera/borescope for an Android phone that they like? Available on Amazon would be great, since I've got some gift cards to burn anyway.

I've really liked my Teslong flexible borescope, but I have a hell of a time connecting it to my phone. It's batting below the Mendoza line, so I typically just hook it up to my laptop and works great.

Granted I actually use it as a borescope, so I can't comment on applications where you don't want to look 90 degrees to the scope and a specific focal point close to the camera.

Bob Mundon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on May 7, 2022

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Slugworth posted:

Real talk: they change too fast to make a good recommendation. Even the same listing might be a different thing by the time you order it.

That's the level of cheap crap they are now. So just buy something that looks like it has good reviews for $30 and hope it works. If not, try the next one for $30.

E: here's the last one I bought. Worked on my pixel and works on a windows laptop just fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBF6DX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCNSLJuwI6A&t=185s

Yeah you can hack Milwaukee too. Right now there is only 1 deal going, what you can hack cycles in and out.

Someone explain to me what the "hack" is here? The one free item?

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Trabant posted:

Someone explain to me what the "hack" is here? The one free item?

On the receipt, both items are discounted proportionally to get the two items down to the equivalent of "free" for the free item. Usually below the cost of any sale for either item individually. By returning one of the items or cancelling it before you pick it up, you can get the item you keep at a big discount.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

more falafel please posted:

so it wastes tape.

This is a feature, not a bug.

I've got Dymo handheld, a brother desktop, and a Brady handheld. The Brady handheld sucks. It drains batteries in under a month of no use, it uses a center-negative power supply (because gently caress you, that's why), and the tapes are crazy expensive. It does, however, use self-laminating and heatshrink tapes. The Dymo wastes tape. The Brother doesn't but the software is wonky.

Danhenge posted:

On the receipt, both items are discounted proportionally to get the two items down to the equivalent of "free" for the free item. Usually below the cost of any sale for either item individually. By returning one of the items or cancelling it before you pick it up, you can get the item you keep at a big discount.

You also run the risk of being blacklisted. Don't return too much stuff or Home Depot will refuse all future returns. You gotta abuse the system pretty badly before it happens.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Motronic posted:

Real talk: they change too fast to make a good recommendation. Even the same listing might be a different thing by the time you order it.

That's the level of cheap crap they are now. So just buy something that looks like it has good reviews for $30 and hope it works. If not, try the next one for $30.

E: here's the last one I bought. Worked on my pixel and works on a windows laptop just fine: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PBF6DX5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ordered, looks perfectly acceptable. Thanks

Bob Mundon
Dec 1, 2003
Your Friendly Neighborhood Gun Nut

Motronic posted:

One thing to add as well, make sure you take note of the focal range. Rifle borescope are designed to focus within tenths of an inch, and would be useless to something where you need to see a couple inches and vice versa. Like I said had good luck with Teslong, but I'm looking at something less than two tenths of an inch away.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I made a base for my router. :D

It's a square with sides about 5 1/16" long, although I might still need to trim it down a bit.

I want to know if I can hook up a Makita guide rail adapter to it, since there's not really any pictures that show how to attach the adapter to other routers and if I can attach it to my base instead then it'll save me from spending another $75 on a plunge base (because I don't trust my stupid rear end to make a long straight cut with just the guide fence attachment plus my base against a straight-edge).

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 7, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Bob Mundon posted:

One thing to add as well, make sure you take note of the focal range. Rifle borescope are designed to focus within tenths of an inch, and would be useless to something where you need to see a couple inches and vice versa. Like I said had good luck with Teslong, but I'm looking at something less than two tenths of an inch away.
Focal range wasn't something I even considered at first, but Motronic's link mentioned it up front, and I think that one is gonna work for my purposes. Not a gun guy, more of a "what the hell is rattling around in my sink disposal??" guy.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

sharkytm posted:

I've got Dymo handheld, a brother desktop, and a Brady handheld. The Brady handheld sucks. It drains batteries in under a month of no use, it uses a center-negative power supply (because gently caress you, that's why), and the tapes are crazy expensive. It does, however, use self-laminating and heatshrink tapes. The Dymo wastes tape. The Brother doesn't but the software is wonky.

We have I’ve used all three brands handhelds and this holds up ime. Brady cartridges loving suck - if you don’t remove them correctly you can gently caress a partially used one to the point it won’t work anymore. But the Self lam wire labels are great.

We’ve been using self lam labels from Panduit that we can run right Through the laser printer. Gotta adjust the template a little now and then though, as the slick sheet doesn’t always feed the same and the line spacing can be a bit off.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Slugworth posted:

Focal range wasn't something I even considered at first, but Motronic's link mentioned it up front, and I think that one is gonna work for my purposes. Not a gun guy, more of a "what the hell is rattling around in my sink disposal??" guy.

What if it's a gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Then you will have to buy an endoscope with a shorter focal length to troubleshoot the gun after retrieving it from the disposal.