Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

I met this MT-10 with barkbusters and bags on it at a bike show and I think about it a lot.

sorry about about potato quality images. to say it looked super rad in person is an understatement. scary fast dadbike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Britva Cutter
Jul 9, 2006

No, I'm in touch with humanity.
Reading this thread has made me want to put a top box on my FXD. The I saw the reflection of my beard in the phone while thinking about thos boxes and noticed new gray hairs.

Gimme the box. I need to carry things, consarn it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

yummycheese posted:

I met this MT-10 with barkbusters and bags on it at a bike show and I think about it a lot.

sorry about about potato quality images. to say it looked super rad in person is an understatement. scary fast dadbike

Tbh both the images and the bike therein match this thread perfectly. Just reeks of dad.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ben Gay and Miller lite?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

If you have a tailwind with that screen, do you actually gain mpgs?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I don’t track mileage on my bikes, but I can say a strong tailwind on the goldwing makes it utterly silent

Between the reduced wind noise and the reduced engine load it’s whisper quiet

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

If you have a tailwind with that screen, do you actually gain mpgs?

In the grim darkness of the post apocalypse, engines are dead. Wind is the only power available.

This summer

Hoist your mainsails

Batten down the yardarm

GOLDSHIPS

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

BRB

*dialing netflix*

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Not mine:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My goldwing had the CB rig, and some PO ripped it out. I was so close to glory!!!!!

Even if it didn’t work that button pod is hilariously awesome

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/675339040513593/

Just browsing bikes for sell near me for fun and saw this old wing. Man I’d be lying if I said I didn’t kinda want this. Definitely don’t have the experience and skill to feel comfortable with a bike this heavy though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have that exact same bike. It’s a road couch for sure, but also pretty fun to ride and will absolutely demolish miles without complaint

I wish mine was that low mileage however, drat

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That is loving epic but I'll be disappointed if it's not the special edition EFI model

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

i hope that little extra module with the knobs on it is for some echo and reverb on the audio for the CB so we can do peak trucker radio while on the oldwing

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

yummycheese posted:

i hope that little extra module with the knobs on it is for some echo and reverb on the audio for the CB so we can do peak trucker radio while on the oldwing

If you mean the one with the green and blue lights I believe that's both the intercom and audio controls since it matches the panel below it, where the stereo is on a Goldwing. Lol I typed the word "stereo" in 2022. I believe this is off a GL1500.

e: nope it's a 86 GL1200 he just wants too much for it. 6 disc CD!!

https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...35-9f931ee15cee

Gorson fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 18, 2022

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
if you told me your bike had a CD changer in the trunk I would've immediately assumed you were talking about a mid-90s goldwing, not one a decade older

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

That is loving epic but I'll be disappointed if it's not the special edition EFI model

It is 100% the EFI model, because that black box with the red switch covers the area where the choke would be on the carbureted model

e: also because the seller says it is in the listing, which I didnt see

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 18, 2022

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
As epic as that oldwing is, the last thing I'd want to own is an 80s bike jam packed with "cutting edge" technology that was still in it's infancy. Conversely, it is the first thing that I want one of you to own and post about.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

My understanding is that honda used the same PGM-FI that they used on their cars of that time period (not sure what changes to make the transition to a motorcycle engine), and its pretty reliable

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll take pgm-fi over l-jetronic any day.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

hmm. i worked on some fuel injected Honda civics from the 80’s and they were a bit terrifying. single port injection. massive tangle of vacuum lines.

this was still when if you needed anything mechanically actuated under the hood. it was vacuum from the engine and a electric solenoid to turn whatever it was on or off.

worked great when they were new. but as they aged they created really fun intermittent problems to troubleshoot.

im sure its not as bad as a full on car tho

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'll take pgm-fi over l-jetronic any day.

Same.
Though I've logged numerous hours under the oscilloscope and pressure sensor with Kjet.

Afaik the main worry with old pgm-fi is capacitors failing. easy fix.

secondarily: unobtainable iacvs.

yummycheese posted:

hmm. i worked on some fuel injected Honda civics from the 80’s and they were a bit terrifying. single port injection. massive tangle of vacuum lines.

this was still when if you needed anything mechanically actuated under the hood. it was vacuum from the engine and a electric solenoid to turn whatever it was on or off.

worked great when they were new. but as they aged they created really fun intermittent problems to troubleshoot.

im sure its not as bad as a full on car tho

TBI!!!
Even the multiport A-series in the Accord/Prelude had a metric shitload of vacuum hoses for its various sensors/actuators.....just like its carbed sibling.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I had to travel out to western Colorado for some fieldwork this week so I took the bike.

The trash can rally screen is a keeper. I had a nasty headwind from about 45 degrees to head on for about 150 miles on the first day, so I'm not entirely sure how it affected things. My neck and shoulders were less sore than I expected them to be coming off a long time barely riding at all, though, so I think it handled that pretty well. On the way back home today, I had a pretty good tailwind for most of it. When I wasn't behind any vehicles making turbulence, it was pretty great. I finally understand why people always say "It gets your head into the clean air."

The seat pad is a loving winner. My butt is a little sore, but nothing like it would be on the stock DR seat. I scrapped my plans to rebuild the foam under there, this thing is just great. Fieldsheer/Cortech saddlebags are just fine for a dual sport with pannier racks. I only had a sleeping bag and clothes and food for a couple days. I estimate my surplus weight including 1 gallon of fuel in the rotopax at about 40 lbs. I had to pin it going uphill above about 8,000 feet most of the time, but was able to maintain 65ish mph without much effort. Fuel economy ranged from 43 to 50 mpg.

I love this big fat pig of a supermodad tryhard rally tourer.

Bonus pic with my friend's Himalayan.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 21, 2022

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

rad.

how were the roads in that area? i really want to ride like that in CO but i’m in the northeast so it’s largely a pipe dream.

I ride in a similar way. drz400 for all my offroading. i’m usually riding the back country roads and the big bikes look like a lot of hassle to ride because they are so big. love my “little” bike

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They’re pretty good roads outside the towns of Steamboat Springs and Craig, which was my route from Fort Collins. The towns see more snowplowing so this time of year there are some potholes and chunky parts since we’re just coming out of winter.

My experience riding in Colorado is that there are really not a lot of roads so within a couple years here you’ll run out of new places to ride for day trips. Longer trips around the region are a good way to experience it. There’s really nowhere else in the world you can get so isolated on good roads and see a ton of open sky and 100 mile views.

My favorite riding is gravel stuff up in the National Forests but there is a pretty hard May-October season for that.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

katka posted:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/675339040513593/

Just browsing bikes for sell near me for fun and saw this old wing. Man I’d be lying if I said I didn’t kinda want this. Definitely don’t have the experience and skill to feel comfortable with a bike this heavy though.

I'm not going to lie, I'm halfway considering looking into this. My wife and I are working in Virginia soon for a month and it would be fun as hell to ride this home to Louisiana.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

What fresh flavor of dadbike is this

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Literal dads bike (Rebel) and my Magna after getting some food today.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
How are those V4 Hondas anyways?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

they’re like if honda made a V4

e: real answer: they’re mellow. I rode my mom’s magna on occasion and mellow is how I’d choose to describe it. not boring, just mellow

right arm fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 6, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Literal dads bike (Rebel) and my Magna after getting some food today.

Having a more dad bike than your dad with a bike risks a timeline destroying paradox, please stop.

Revvik posted:

How are those V4 Hondas anyways?

They fucken rule

right arm posted:

e: real answer: they’re mellow. I rode my mom’s magna on occasion and mellow is how I’d choose to describe it. not boring, just mellow

It's all in the magic of cams and carbs, I can say a bunch of stuff about the interceptor with the same basic engine but mellow ain't it. The magna is exactly what you'd dream of it being - smooth and powerful like a four, tractable and friendly like a twin.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
There’s some really nice looking Sabre 1100s around me and they’re not expensive, is mostly why I’m asking.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo if that is in your wheel house, the bother of the v4 outweighs the advantages compared to the first gen vt1100c. I know how it sounds but seriously, Honda seemed to be unaware that cruisers had to be slow and just built an air cooled v twin with a normal amount of power for 1100cc's and a chassis to match. They look ridiculous though, I got very close to buying one with the intention of taking all the dumb cosmetic poo poo off and just making a death machine.

All that said the saber is a comparatively fast and solid machine if you do all the usual needful poo poo, which is one of the drawbacks of the v4 cause that basically always involves carbs. Imo they don't handle very nicely for the power they have. But it's faster than a 300zx turbo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj0UjUo5Jsw

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Well I’d be selling one of my current dad bikes, likely the Tiger. It can’t be worse to own than a 955i Tiger, right? Which really hasn’t been awful, except I had to dig under the battery to get to the starter solenoid to replace that, and isn’t that curious? That they put it somewhere so I can’t easily jump by bike with a screwdriver?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Good news! Starter solenoid is right next to the battery on my 83 750!

Bad news! Literally almost everything else except riding it!

For real though, I've had a ton of fun with my bike. But whatever it costs, plan on doubling it for having your carbs sent off to be serviced by someone who knows what they're doing. Prepare yourself to either live with a noisy cam chain or modding yours to work(ish) without chattering. Online guides from other owners are a necessity.

If you get a Magna, prepare to get scowled at by Harley dudes who WILL NOT WAVE.

I can definitely see how it would be possible to outride the brakes and suspension. And this is just the 750. It has good power, when it's all running well, but yeah. There are a LOT of caveats included.

I personally think the Sabre is a better looking bike. Magna, Sabre, Interceptor. As a piece of history I think they're amazing, truly, a very unique bike. But I know there are bikes that do everything they do, better.

But dammit. It sounds soooooo good. When the exhaust and intake are louder than your cam chain anyway.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

right arm posted:

Just wondering, which motor did it have? I admittedly don't have long experience with road bikes, but it can be pretty unmellow feeling past 5000 rpms.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Also, just cause I think it's neat. Here's dad holding me with his Honda CB 350 4. Because literal dadbike!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

gileadexile posted:

Also, just cause I think it's neat. Here's dad holding me with his Honda CB 350 4. Because literal dadbike!

Nice! The CB350/4 has become so rare as to be practically nonexistent. I don't even see 350/2's for sale anymore....cafe craze ate them all up.

Honda V4 is fantastic in either the chain driven or gear driven versions, but having that 30 year old rack of four carbs means you'll want to know what you're getting into. Any carb rack that has not been completely rebuilt including the between-carb o rings will leak like a sieve at some point and you'll wind up chasing leaks instead of riding. You'll become hyper sensitive to the smell of fuel. It's the reason why Honda V4 bikes are usually cheap, nobody wants to work on them so nobody has worked on them. That's for the next owner!

Sweet spot is the 98-01 VFR800 which has both reliable FI and gear driven cams. IIRC it's the only Honda V4 with this combo.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

gileadexile posted:

Just wondering, which motor did it have? I admittedly don't have long experience with road bikes, but it can be pretty unmellow feeling past 5000 rpms.

1100. and I just mean mellow in comparison to modern V4s (ducati) and vtwins (LC8, RC51) that I’ve also ridden. it’s a great bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

right arm posted:

1100. and I just mean mellow in comparison to modern V4s (ducati) and vtwins (LC8, RC51) that I’ve also ridden. it’s a great bike

Oh ok. I really want to get a Sabre 1100, but yeah. I feel just a little cramped on my 750 after a while.