Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a head's up for anyone interested in seeing Lightyear, the new trailer for it gives a lot of the plot away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_bbLcJAHEo

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Hell yeah

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

oh gently caress yeah

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

what i loving love is that the thing this most looks like is a sequel to eXistenZ

it's like he knows me

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Bullshit that they didn't include Existenz and Videodrome on his list :mad:

Movie looks fuckin' dope though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Bullshit that they didn't include Existenz and Videodrome on his list :mad:

Movie looks fuckin' dope though.

i've noticed that a lot of directors will do this thing where they specifically don't list the movies that are most similar to the one the trailer is for

no seriously i have noticed that!

i have apophenia :( haha

but yeah those are literally his two best so it's weird to now list them

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah I'd been thinking the same thing, last time and now, that ExistenZ should absolutely be on that list but isn't

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

The master of body horror has done it again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lastdancer posted:

Yeah I'd been thinking the same thing, last time and now, that ExistenZ should absolutely be on that list but isn't

i know and understand why it was a commercial flop, but i really don't get why even fans of his tend to rate it low. it's so drat entertaining.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think it's seen as too 90s and too goofy by many. But they are wrong because it rules.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

But they are wrong because it rules.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Movie rules but I am way too much of a wimp to see it. I'm shuddering just watching the trailer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Benson Cunningham posted:

Movie rules but I am way too much of a wimp to see it. I'm shuddering just watching the trailer.

Sure, it gets gross and visceral, but it's also super fun. The fun definitely helps balance it out if you're squeemish.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

muscles like this! posted:

Just a head's up for anyone interested in seeing Lightyear, the new trailer for it gives a lot of the plot away.

Considering how much this very thread was confused by how this movie fits in they must have had a lot of feedback in their testing and tracking that nobody gets it and therefore included a lot of plot in the trailer. It's not necessarily a last resort but it's usually not the preferred tactic unless this kind of situation happens.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

precision posted:

i've noticed that a lot of directors will do this thing where they specifically don't list the movies that are most similar to the one the trailer is for

I'd say that there are some elements from Crash and Dead Ringers in what was in the trailer though - specifically the fetishisation of medical practice and trauma to the human body, not to mention the body horror aspect of The Fly.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

LesterGroans posted:

the added bonus of annoying me by having Laura Dern remove her sunglasses
My favorite part of that is that she takes them off with both hands, which I read as a clear reference to Sam Neill tearing his shades off with both hands in the 1993 original, except he did it out of raw fuckin shock and consternation at seeing a loving dinosaur, and in this trailer she does it as this slow and calculated motion, you know, taking off your shades with two hands like so many normal people do every day

Also this shot is in every one of the Dominion trailers and kills me every time

1) where the gently caress are you exactly, because tbh it kinda looks like you're up at that lake in Alaska where they made Wolverine and that could be an interesting direction for the franchise
2) are you aware that you are posed exactly identically and moving in an identical fashion at an identical rate? Are you making a tik tok
3) oh no it's a fuckin huge/deadly dinosaur, no sense in running, quick get your little knife & taser(?) ready

This trailer showed with Multiverse this weekend of course and I felt so cheered when my teenage son leaned over and muttered, "God, I hate Blue so much." Like they've pushed so hard to establish Blue through the last couple movies as the Good Dinosaur You Should Care About and yet have totally fuckin failed, I figure my son's demographic is exactly who they're targeting and he gives exactly zero shits about Blue. F U Universal

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

rivetz posted:

this shot is in every one of the Dominion trailers and kills me every time

1) where the gently caress are you exactly, because tbh it kinda looks like you're up at that lake in Alaska where they made Wolverine and that could be an interesting direction for the franchise
2) are you aware that you are posed exactly identically and moving in an identical fashion at an identical rate? Are you making a tik tok
3) oh no it's a fuckin huge/deadly dinosaur, no sense in running, quick get your little knife & taser(?) ready

To be fair, this is the only shot in the trailers I actually like. And I think the moving in sync thing is part of it. It just works.

I also acknowledge everything you said is correct. What can I say? I’m an easy mark.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cPMUMWLEws

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Yep that's another Avatar. Didn't really feel much watching that tbh

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

James Cameron makes good movies. One of my favorite hobbies is reading how people remember nothing about Avatar.

[edit] I think one of those soldier avatars is probably Quaritch lmao.

teagone fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 9, 2022

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Yep that's another Avatar. Didn't really feel much watching that tbh

The teaser for the first film was just as cryptic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsnMbDdhCe8

I don't recall many going head over heels for it either. I'm a Cameron fanboy though, so I'm all in already.

teagone fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 9, 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat I cannot loving wait for Avatar 2. James Cameron doing James Cameron things for four more movies? Let’s loving go. Just flexing on ocean/underwater filming for 3 hours in an alien planet give me space whales and space sharks and space fish with more gimmicky Pandora poo poo. Third one can be uh… caves? I don’t care. 4 and 5 can go back to Earth to show how hosed things are.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

One of those soldier avatars is deffo Col. Quaritch haha. The face looked really familiar. I think this confirms it from an interview last year.

I think I remembered it being rumored this is how they'd handle the character, and lmao, that's pretty funny.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A decade ago I used to try and figure out what parts of a movie were CG. Watching that trailer I'm trying to figure out what parts aren't CG.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
is 3d still centric to the avatar franchise, or was it just the first one?

i never got to watch the first one, and i wonder how weird it is without the 3d stuff on a modern tv

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

kliras posted:

is 3d still centric to the avatar franchise, or was it just the first one?

i never got to watch the first one, and i wonder how weird it is without the 3d stuff on a modern tv

It is. Cameron utilized 120 FPS capture this time around for some action scenes to smooth out the effects of film judder in 3D. I do remember reading that he also tried to push for glasses free stereo 3D but that tech still isn't quite ready for the consumer theater experience I guess.

I'm biased, but I think the first film holds up as one of the better sci-fi actioners compared to most blockbuster fare come out in the last 10 years. The optimal viewing experience for the film was of course 70mm IMAX 3D, but the at-home experience is just as good If you can look past the "it's just ferngully/dances with wolves in space" memes. It's just as generally enjoyable as your standard MCU film, if I had to compare. But like, with way better action and visuals. Better politics too, lol.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

teagone posted:

I don't recall many going head over heels for it either. I'm a Cameron fanboy though, so I'm all in already.

Yeah I didn't really care about the first film either. So I guess I'm not the market for this lol

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

teagone posted:

Why is the trailer posted on some dude's YouTube and now like the official channel?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

BonoMan posted:

Yeah I didn't really care about the first film either. So I guess I'm not the market for this lol

I'm quite fond of films like The Last Samurai and The Last of the Mohicans, so that poo poo but in space directed by the guy who made Terminator 2 and Aliens aligns perfectly with the poo poo I vibe with lol.

clown shoes posted:

Why is the trailer posted on some dude's YouTube and now like the official channel?

The Way of Water trailer hasn't been officially released yet. The teaser for the first film was just the first search result that came up on YT and was decent quality.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
People always cite some momentary and fleeting cultural obsession with Avatar that was quickly dropped after the movie left theaters, how it broke people's brains, how a bunch of people were depressed that they could never visit Pandora, how people started learning the na'vi language and thinking of themselves as na'vi and whatever. Now I just really question how true any of that ever was. I certainly never met anyone who gave a poo poo about Avatar other than maybe seeing it twice and going "I liked that a lot!"

In retrospect I think it was just a handful of your run-of-the-mill weirdos who got signal-boosted by a sensationalistic media landscape searching for some deeper explanation to why the movie was making so much money. That they spent the time and effort to track down the most obsessed weirdos out there who pop up in the wake of any big sci-fi movie but are generally ignored and relegated to small corners of the internet before they move on and obsess about something else. That the media just wasn't used to seeing how obsessed internet dorks get and were encountering the idea of furries for the first time. And that in reality, a lot of people felt burned by how awkward and stilted the Star Wars prequels were despite all the hype and marketing, and just wanted some escapist sci-fi fantasy which Avatar gave it to them, with an added bonus of having some whiz-bang 3D tech and a lot of hype around the special effects. I don't think the "people got depressed about not being able to visit this incredible magical fantasy land" ever existed outside of some news producer's mind.

Anyway, like y'all that teaser did nothing for me and I have no desire to watch the movie based on that. I hope it's good because I enjoy science-fiction and would like to watch a good science-fiction movie, but I'll continue waiting for something that interests or excites me before thinking about the movie again.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's literally the highest grossing movie of all time. To try to dismiss Avatar in retrospect is pretty loving funny.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

There's an argument to be had that one of the big reasons Avatar didn't really have any lasting cultural impact despite its massive box office is because soon after the first film dropped, there weren't any sequels. No shows. Nothing to follow up. There wasn't a costant barrage of Avatar media every other year to make the movie a mainstay in the conscience of pop culture compared to say like, Harry Potter or Star Wars. Avatar also came out around the time that VOD and stream services were beginning to take over, so the amount of competition for studios to grab consumer attention was reaching a boiling point. [edit] This is probably why you also don't see a lot of memes about the movie either, as dumb a metric as that is.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

teagone posted:

There's an argument to be had that one of the big reasons Avatar didn't really have any lasting cultural impact is because soon after the first film dropped, there weren't any sequels. No shows. Nothing to follow up. There wasn't a costant barrage of Avatar media every other year to make the movie a mainstay in the conscience of pop culture compared to say like, Harry Potter or Star Wars. Avatar also came out around the time that VOD and stream services were beginning to take over, so the amount of competition for studios to grab consumer attention was reaching a boiling point.

I would honestly be loving sick of Avatar if Cameron had treated it the way Disney has done with Star Wars.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I would honestly be loving sick of Avatar if Cameron had treated it the way Disney has done with Star Wars.

Yeah, 100% :same:

The only Disney Star Wars stuff I've genuinely really liked is The Last Jedi and about 80% of The Mandalorian lol. I dunno if Rebels/Clone Wars finale counts as Disney produced, but count those in if they do.

[edit] Oh, some of the anime shorts were pretty good too. But lol at the movies.

teagone fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 9, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im pretty sure a bunch of people are still in Avatar comas after being unable to live in a world that wasnt Pandora or at least Disney's Animal Kingdom's Pandora – The World of Avatar, so im really happy for all the goons finally getting their moms/dads back
God bless you in all your works jimmy cameron

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

People always cite some momentary and fleeting cultural obsession with Avatar that was quickly dropped after the movie left theaters, how it broke people's brains, how a bunch of people were depressed that they could never visit Pandora, how people started learning the na'vi language and thinking of themselves as na'vi and whatever. Now I just really question how true any of that ever was. I certainly never met anyone who gave a poo poo about Avatar other than maybe seeing it twice and going "I liked that a lot!"

In retrospect I think it was just a handful of your run-of-the-mill weirdos who got signal-boosted by a sensationalistic media landscape searching for some deeper explanation to why the movie was making so much money. That they spent the time and effort to track down the most obsessed weirdos out there who pop up in the wake of any big sci-fi movie but are generally ignored and relegated to small corners of the internet before they move on and obsess about something else. That the media just wasn't used to seeing how obsessed internet dorks get and were encountering the idea of furries for the first time. And that in reality, a lot of people felt burned by how awkward and stilted the Star Wars prequels were despite all the hype and marketing, and just wanted some escapist sci-fi fantasy which Avatar gave it to them, with an added bonus of having some whiz-bang 3D tech and a lot of hype around the special effects. I don't think the "people got depressed about not being able to visit this incredible magical fantasy land" ever existed outside of some news producer's mind.

Anyway, like y'all that teaser did nothing for me and I have no desire to watch the movie based on that. I hope it's good because I enjoy science-fiction and would like to watch a good science-fiction movie, but I'll continue waiting for something that interests or excites me before thinking about the movie again.

This whole Avatar-based depression thing was much more of a phenomenon in China. Also, go watch How to With John Wilson to see what Avatar nerds are up to in the US these days.

The trailer didn't seem obviously better than the original film, but maybe I need to see a side-by-side comparison? I guess I'm curious what 10+ years of 3D technology can bring to this. James Cameron has a decent track record with sequels so I am optimistic.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

You should watch How to With John Wilson, where he visit an Avatar-themed support group, it's... something alright.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Saving this for when Avatar 2 comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
dismissing avatar retroactively is obviously easy, but literally everyone was talking about the movie when it came out and how amazing the 3d experience was. people clearly enjoyed it

titanic is probably also a silly movie in retrospect, but cameron's later movies are fantastic as far as pushing the technological envelope, and there's no reason to not give credit where credit is due. that's the curse of watching movies or playing games too late, because you don't get to appreciate what they accomplished at the time with what was available

teagone posted:

It is. Cameron utilized 120 FPS capture this time around for some action scenes to smooth out the effects of film judder in 3D. I do remember reading that he also tried to push for glasses free stereo 3D but that tech still isn't quite ready for the consumer theater experience I guess.

I'm biased, but I think the first film holds up as one of the better sci-fi actioners compared to most blockbuster fare come out in the last 10 years. The optimal viewing experience for the film was of course 70mm IMAX 3D, but the at-home experience is just as good If you can look past the "it's just ferngully/dances with wolves in space" memes. It's just as generally enjoyable as your standard MCU film, if I had to compare. But like, with way better action and visuals. Better politics too, lol.
what's the best way to watch it at home? i have an lg c1, so it probably doesn't have any legacy 3d features, and i imagine streaming services don't have any 3d versions. i still have some 3d glasses lying around from when everyone was doing 3d after avatar a million years ago