Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My spouse's maternal grandmother was married off to a 50 year old man when she was 14, maybe even less, history is poo poo for sure and gurm definitely does get to go "that's the way it was back in the days of dragons!!!", but the problem with the Dany\Drogo scene is really not about the story merely having a plot where a 13 year old girl is sold to sex slavery, it's that we get an explicit scene written with the intention to titillate the reader written from the perspective of the 13 year old wherein she finds she's actually kinda turned on by this whole thing and who knew the barbarian 30 year old guy forcing her to have sex infront of thousands of strangers is actually a surprisingly gentle lover, see, he even does foreplay. That's why it's a good thing what the show did with it, beyond the perviness of it all it's really hard to buy into Dany being anything other than completely terrified during what is clearly a traumatic incident, and furthermore it's really kinda unnecesary plot wise because even though Drogo is relatively gentle with his non-consenting child bride on their first night the next chapter shows that on the other nights he's been abusive towards her and that she can barely ride her horse after he's done with her, so that scene really can't be read in my opinion as anything other than gurm thinking it would be super hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I figure D&D just removed it because it doesn't work with Dany's next plot of "learning how to gently caress drogo into respecting her", like it's so obvious, it makes no sense to show Drogo as being considerate, it hurts both his arc and Dany's arc.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, in terms of the overall plot it doesn't make too much sense, there's nothing in Drogo's characterisation that connects to it otherwise.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Drogo even has a Pentos Bachelor pad, presumably where he takes vacations after killing another Khal and adding to his army.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Happy Landfill posted:

Jesus :catstare:

Just reminds me that this very scenario is still very much legal throughout the US and past attempts to change that have been shot down.

Speaking of which and for clarity, I’m in the US on the East Coast. And yea, it happens.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of which and for clarity, I’m in the US on the East Coast. And yea, it happens.

Cool. I hate it here :downs:

So how's abouts that Dragon House trailer?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

My spouse's maternal grandmother was married off to a 50 year old man when she was 14, maybe even less,

Huh. That's illegal over here. I think if that ever comes up after immigration, I think marriages like that are even annulled, though I'm not an expert by any means. People here in Germany can get unhappy over 16-17 year olds marrying, 13-14 is definitely "going to jail" territory.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the US has weirdly low ages of marriage consent to this day, a continuing legacy of the religious fundamentalists.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I had a disagreement with a friend who's the type of ASOIAF reader who throws a fit every time that George gets any Medieval history fact wrong. He kept missing his own point that children being married off is way more common in the modern eras than it was back in the Medieval era, and I could not get him to understand that that was the point. His response was the same every time:

"Well then, he should have set it in the modern era, because it would be more historically accurate."

To this day, it is one of the most frustrating conversations I've ever had.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Jokes on you both it’s actually set in the far off future.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the US has weirdly low ages of marriage consent to this day, a continuing legacy of the religious fundamentalists.

One of my classmates was married off at 14 because she was pregnant by a marine from the local base. This isn’t like stories from the ancient yon here. Literally my age.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

So uh changing the subject

I'm a dirty show-watcher rather than a book reader, but I'm wondering if the books explain a little better why Lady Stark took Tyrion to the Vale. If she just wanted him in prison, why not Riverrun which was a lot closer and also home, and not run by her weirdo sister? And did she really not have an inkling what a bad idea that would turn out to be?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Riverrun was a worse choice because its ruler wasn't in any shape to conduct a trial, and it was harder to defend if it came to that. Catelyn hadn't seen Lysa in a very long time, but she knew from the secret letter that Lysa was hostile to the Lannisters. She didn't put things together until she got to the Vale.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Weren't the Riverlands in the crossfire of the war as well? The Vale was nowhere near the fighting, and so much less chance of an encounter like the one that scuppered Jaime and Brienne

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Tyrion's arrest was the thing that kicked off the war, but yeah, Riverrun was the opposite direction she would want to go.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

So uh changing the subject

I'm a dirty show-watcher rather than a book reader, but I'm wondering if the books explain a little better why Lady Stark took Tyrion to the Vale. If she just wanted him in prison, why not Riverrun which was a lot closer and also home, and not run by her weirdo sister? And did she really not have an inkling what a bad idea that would turn out to be?

I think, too, she didn't have any idea just how fuckin weird her sister ended up being. It's not like they talk on the phone or anything, and they rarely if ever visit eachother because it's a process that takes months of difficult travel. I can't imagine you get to hear about the lowdown deep crazy in a letter, not like Lysa's gonna write "and then my ten-year-old son nursed at my breast while I held court, and I was feeling jittery that day so I sent half a dozen people flying out the Moon Door."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Phenotype posted:

I think, too, she didn't have any idea just how fuckin weird her sister ended up being. It's not like they talk on the phone or anything, and they rarely if ever visit eachother because it's a process that takes months of difficult travel

Yeah, that was on season 1, teleportation wanst invented in Westeros yet

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It was also that is was near to where she came upon Tyrion, completely by surprise.

The amount thing that go exactly right for littlefinger early on is the entire basis of everything going to poo poo. A more thematic result would be him getting shanked early on and everyone else trying either to capitalise on the chaos or tame it. But I guess that is a different story.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Also Catelyn thought Winterfell and Riverrun were the most obvious places for her to go so she threw any Lannister pursuers a curveball by heading to the Vale instead. Of course Lysa turned out to be Lysa so uh whoops.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Yeah, that was on season 1, teleportation wanst invented in Westeros yet

It’s funny how the books went in the opposite direction. Months can pass in a single chapter of AGoT but ADWD painfully lays out every goddamn journey step by step.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

DaysBefore posted:

Also Catelyn thought Winterfell and Riverrun were the most obvious places for her to go so she threw any Lannister pursuers a curveball by heading to the Vale instead. Of course Lysa turned out to be Lysa so uh whoops.

Yeah, she announced she was taking Tyrion to Winterfell at the inn IIRC, so her next chapter was a curveball for the reader, too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s funny how the books went in the opposite direction. Months can pass in a single chapter of AGoT but ADWD painfully lays out every goddamn journey step by step.

Yeah, even though the show was pretty bad at that point, it was a relief for me to see Tyrion meet Danny after one or two scenes, instead of of having to endure every detail of his trip for like 2 seasons, if they were going to follow the books

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 9, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

DaysBefore posted:

In addition to this, the Vale was regarded as being drat near impregnable due to the terrain. If the Lannisters figured out where Tyrion was and sent an army, they’d be all but useless walking up a mountain single file while the armies of the Vale just annihilated them at their leisure.

Plus the letter that came from Lysa made Catelyn feel she could trust her.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The Forsaken sample chapter was almost kind of encouraging because it took place over the course of months and it seemed like George was finally willing to speed things up a little bit, but we're still here waiting for it.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

It really makes me sad that I can barely even make myself care about this absurd book and whether there it’ll ever still come out at this point.

What actually kind of annoys me is that, like… there was about a 5-year period of time from around 2012 to 2017 (or thereabouts) during which Game of Thrones was the biggest, most awesomely popular and exciting intellectual property of pretty much ANY type. If Winds of Winter had actually come out during that span of time, well… it would have been like the biggest and most exciting (and profitable) release of any book since the seventh Harry Potter book. And it probably would have put that release to shame. I just mean that the whole thing would have been this wonderful, fun, exciting EVENT…. If it had happened during that period of time.

But now, I mean… I’m sure it’ll be kind of a big deal if and when it ever gets released, but I have to think any excitement or passion (and possible money to be made) is like a tenth of what it would have been if it had come out ~5 years ago. don’t know I’ll even bother buying a physical copy when it does. Let alone go to any parties or events for its release, if any even still happen. I can only imagine my lack of interest, passion, and confidence that it’ll ever get done is widespread at this point, since I was quite optimistic and confident that GRRM would at least get the book done in 7-8 years at the longest, based on his increasingly slowing pace up to that point. Hah.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I kind of wonder what his publishers are thinking at this point. I'm willing to bet they're banking on the preorders pouring in whenever TWOW's date is announced, but at the same time, it has been 10 years at this point and if HotD* doesn't do well I wouldn't be surprised if you started to see diminishing interest in the series. The hardcore fans will probably stick around no matter what but the smartest move would have been the ride the wave of the show's popularity and try to at least get Winds out around then. That seemed to be what people were expecting.

There's always this part of me that thinks he has more done than he's letting on but that's probably wishful thinking at this point. He seems fairly open about his progress and I'm sure he of all people wants to be able to finally tell fans that he's done with Winds. I don't know, despite all the money he's made in the past decade I don't really envy his position of having thousands of nerd chomping at the bit for him to finish (or die! That's worse!)

*lol Hot D

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The difference in plotting between AGoT and ADwD is staggering. It's the difference between "wow a seasoned pro wrote this" and "this reminds me of the worldbuilding I tried when I was 13 and realized writing out every single step long-form sucked rear end to write and sucked rear end to read."

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

kaworu posted:

I was quite optimistic and confident that GRRM would at least get the book done in 7-8 years at the longest, based on his increasingly slowing pace up to that point. Hah.

I was pretty sure that the publisher would find a way to poo poo out a book before the final season. Such a lost loving opportunity.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

He was probably stringing his publishers along too. Just a few more months, look, I have all these sample chapters written already...

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

If you could choose to get a peak of one which would you choose: The poo poo GRRM’s possibly written for Winds or the contractual agreement he has with his publisher?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Said this before but there's no way a superstar author like GRRM is bound to any contractually set deadlines, as long as his back catalog keeps printing money for his publisher those dudes might not be stoked about george taking his sweet time but they're definitely not gonna start crying foul about it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

He’s also making GBS threads out new illustrated expensive editions of not only ASoIAF but now his Dragon book.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you could choose to get a peak of one which would you choose: The poo poo GRRM’s possibly written for Winds or the contractual agreement he has with his publisher?

I've already seen Winds chapters so the contract I guess.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
I just want to see the chapter where The Ironborn land in Meereen and fight all of the ridiculous armies like the men on stilts.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m not gonna lie: Victarion Greyjoy is a loving hoot and I want more chapters with him and his shenanigans.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Victarion and his bromance with Darth Maul was definitely the best part of aDwD.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

I’m not gonna lie: Victarion Greyjoy is a loving hoot and I want more chapters with him and his shenanigans.

I’m projecting all my Victarion fantasies onto the cast of Our Flag Means Death from here on in.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Said this before but there's no way a superstar author like GRRM is bound to any contractually set deadlines, as long as his back catalog keeps printing money for his publisher those dudes might not be stoked about george taking his sweet time but they're definitely not gonna start crying foul about it.

Yes he is but the amount of the advances are probably trivial to him. They own those back catalogs per the contract unless they let them go to out of print status for long enough regardless. They just aren’t trying to make him finish by threatening him with advance reversals and such because they know he doesn’t care.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Yeah if they push him too hard he might just quit writing books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

GURM has become that perpetual college student that, as long as he’s always taking classes, never has to pay a student loan.