Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

skylined! posted:

Here is my deck yesterday afternoon. I have a problem (I need more plants)

God I wish I could shade my patio like this. It's stone, and all the pots struggle in the heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

skylined! posted:

Wanna learn about botany from a foul-mouthed Chicagoan? Just stumbled on this channel and am enjoying it thoroughly.

"The middle class gotta work two jobs and are miserable all the time, probably turn into alcoholics--oh look, it's a fennel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35qF2hEefXg

This fellow is an absolute gem.

EDIT: I literally cannot think of a bad time to plant trees, in the context of the tree itself. There are better times, but this is gardening, you can't always just minmax this poo poo like it's a video game. Just put them in the ground, amend as you see fit and water them in really well.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 6, 2022

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

If you plant in hot weather just be sure to water it frequently, but yeah the same danger's there in a pot anyway. Fall planting is ideal with temperate species/climates because they tend to focus on root growth in the winter which prepares them for the summer.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wallet posted:

I sent them another email ("Are you guys alive over there?") since that seems like a long time, and they said that my report had been forwarded to their owner for review and they have not received it back yet but will let me know when they do. I have no idea what that means, but I guess it's a response?
I'm betting "we're not going to do anything about this" and/or "we're getting so many complaints we don't have the time to deal with them" and/or "gently caress the customers, they get what they get". It sucks a lot when a previously reliable supplier turns to poo poo.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Solkanar512 posted:

This fellow is an absolute gem.

EDIT: I literally cannot think of a bad time to plant trees, in the context of the tree itself. There are better times, but this is gardening, you can't always just minmax this poo poo like it's a video game. Just put them in the ground, amend as you see fit and water them in really well.

There’s optimal times to plant a tree, so why risk a bad outcome when you don’t have to? Unless it’s bagged n burlapped or some other kind of pressing situation I’d rather just wait for spring or fall to plant a tree

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

There’s optimal times to plant a tree, so why risk a bad outcome when you don’t have to? Unless it’s bagged n burlapped or some other kind of pressing situation I’d rather just wait for spring or fall to plant a tree

Mostly price, for me. If I plant shrubs or trees in summer I might lose one in ten (because I'm a bum and I literally never water anything in the garden unless we have a drought), but late in the season I can buy $40 shrubs for $10 because the nurseries want to liquidate whatever stock they have left at that point—even if half died I'd still come out ahead.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 6, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

You do have to be careful with bareroot stuff, but containerized stuff you really can plant whenever as long as you're willing to water when it needs it. It's certainly still best to plant in late fall/winter so they grow roots all winter, but I've planted stuff in the middle of summer and it's done okay.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I mean, maybe it's my own local bias because I'm in the PNW and the weather is mild, but I've found that the risk is really low. I'm also anal about watering! I could be wrong in assuming this is a universal experience however!

I will also say that at least for Japanese maples, keeping them in pots will dwarf them. I bought around a dozen different ones over the past two years, and planted four last year, in the gallon size or so. The ones that were put in the ground grew at an incredible rate and all four reached 6'+* by the end of last season, while similar** cultivars in pots didn't do all that much. A few weeks ago I planted them all, so here's hoping for a similar result.

So I mean sure, you can wait, and I certainly did. But I regret that i didn't realize the effect of keeping them in those pots for so long.

* And that was just acer palmatium. I had two "nativar" acer circinatum that literally doubled in height.
** Similar in the sense that they're all sun-tolerant varieties that will reach 15' - 25' at maturity.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 6, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Good news: At least 5 of my apple trees are putting out their first fruits :toot:

Bad news: there are little green bugs all over the undersides of some of the leaves sucking the life out of them and I want them dead; how do I get them dead? Besides smushing them with my fingers?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Solkanar512 posted:

I mean, maybe it's my own local bias because I'm in the PNW and the weather is mild, but I've found that the risk is really low. I'm also anal about watering! I could be wrong in assuming this is a universal experience however!

It’s usually a combination of watering the new trees versus the low growth problem you ran into. Apple trees really are best planted in the autumn, but so long as you water them in the ground, there’s not much difference between watering in ground or in a big pot. Either way isn’t the best for the tree, but it’s the same amount of work either way. Planting in the ideal season just makes it lowest shock for plant. It’s not going to be happy sitting in a pot all summer when those super nutrients are right below it, but chances are also decent that they die mid summer in a pot because it doesn’t have enough nutrients or water too.

Some nurseries will just bury them “above” ground during the summer anyway. As in, root ball in burlap maybe and then shovel a bunch of mulch over the top to help keep moisture inside and not evaporating. I’d plant them anytime the ground isn’t frozen myself, but I’d probably leave them sit protected if it were mid-summer high temps full sun location because I can’t protect them as well once they’re in that spot.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

skylined! posted:

Here is my deck yesterday afternoon. I have a problem (I need more plants)

Oh my, yes

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Plant goons, help me! What is going on with this Night Blooming Cereus? I'm afraid it's going to punch through the ceiling soon. That stem is growing like an inch a day.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:04 on May 7, 2022

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Plant goons, help me! What is going on with this Night Blooming Cereus? I'm afraid it's going to punch through the ceiling soon. That stem is growing like an inch a day.

It just wants to be over there instead of where you put it. Might want more light.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 7, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Interesting. I moved it for the picture. It is getting a ton of light where it is. What's weird is that my mother in law's, which is from the same parent plant, is doing the same thing right now, half a continent away.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Interesting. I moved it for the picture. It is getting a ton of light where it is. What's weird is that my mother in law's, which is from the same parent plant, is doing the same thing right now, half a continent away.

I know nothing about that plant, but it might be sending up a flower stalk of some sort. It doesn't really look like a leaf.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
wtf kind of cereus is that?

it doesn’t look at all like a cactus at first blush but then you look at the growth pattern of the leaves (lobes?) and that’s very cactuslike

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I dunno! It's definitely possible it's been misidentified. Certainly wouldn't be the first time I got plant clippings from the in-laws that were something else entirely. It's body/skin does seem cactus-like.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Okay, so this picture also claims to be a Night Blooming Cereus and it definitely looks very similar and it seems that will be a stem. Cool!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Okay, so this picture also claims to be a Night Blooming Cereus and it definitely looks very similar and it seems that will be a stem. Cool!

I mean, those are definitely cereus flowers

Google tells me it’s an Epiphyllum of some sort, maybe an E oxypetalum “Queen of the Night”.

“Night blooming cereus” can apparently refer to any cactus currently or formerly under the Cereus/acanthocereus/etc label (I always saw the name attached to columnar stuff like Acan. tetragonus or peruvianus) but leafy Epiphyllum cacti (especially oxypetalum) seem to specifically be traded under the “Night Blooming Cereus” moniker.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Are there any good outdoor light meters out there? I'm thinking about pulling out a big juniper that got crushed by a work crew in favor of a nifty native shrub, but I'm worried the area doesn't get enough sun. I'm picturing one that sits outside for x amount of time before telling you what's up. No pH meter, etc. needed.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Hirayuki posted:

Are there any good outdoor light meters out there? I'm thinking about pulling out a big juniper that got crushed by a work crew in favor of a nifty native shrub, but I'm worried the area doesn't get enough sun. I'm picturing one that sits outside for x amount of time before telling you what's up. No pH meter, etc. needed.

I dunno but you should turn that juniper into a bonsai

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, those are definitely cereus flowers

Google tells me it’s an Epiphyllum of some sort, maybe an E oxypetalum “Queen of the Night”.

“Night blooming cereus” can apparently refer to any cactus currently or formerly under the Cereus/acanthocereus/etc label (I always saw the name attached to columnar stuff like Acan. tetragonus or peruvianus) but leafy Epiphyllum cacti (especially oxypetalum) seem to specifically be traded under the “Night Blooming Cereus” moniker.

This is super useful. Thank you for your help!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

I dunno but you should turn that juniper into a bonsai
It looks healthy enough, but whatever the work crew dropped on it made it splay hard from the center. It looks like a sprawling pompon topiary. We might try gathering it back together with a cord or something, but there's a lot of dead poo poo beneath. :(

We shouldn't have junipers in the first place. There's some kind of leaf rot that affects crabapples that uses juniper as its host. Super glad our (known good) landscaper drew up a plan that had us planting both together. We didn't know any better back then.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Hirayuki posted:

Good light meters for plants are pricey. If you just look at the spot five or six times throughout the day you can figure out how much sun it will get there.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a shrub, preferably flowering, that would do well in partial shade and can tolerate poorly-draining, mostly heavy clay soil? I tried a rhododendron in that spot and got a couple of years out of it before it got root-bound and died. I'm in northern Indiana, zone 6A if that affects things.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

I was gonna say rhodie since they seem to love the clay in the pnw. Hydrangea maybe? There are lots of fun kinds beyond the blue/purple puffballs.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Meaty Ore posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a shrub, preferably flowering, that would do well in partial shade and can tolerate poorly-draining, mostly heavy clay soil? I tried a rhododendron in that spot and got a couple of years out of it before it got root-bound and died. I'm in northern Indiana, zone 6A if that affects things.

Wait how does a plant in the ground get root-bound? Can you not amend the soil in the planting site to give it more room to run?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Wait how does a plant in the ground get root-bound? Can you not amend the soil in the planting site to give it more room to run?

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Meaty Ore posted:

We got many good years out of our azaleas in 6B partial shade (now almost total as our ornamental trees have shot up); they're still going strong, albeit looking a little spindlier than they have in the past. But that's technically a rhodo, so if you've had bad luck with one...

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Chad Sexington posted:

I don't think I amended the soil very much at all, IIRC. Basically dug out an appropriate-sized hole, got the rhodo out of the pot, tried to break up the existing root ball a bit per the planting instructions (it was pretty difficult to do, and may also have been a contributing factor), and filled in around the root ball with topsoil. I'll probably alter the soil in that bed before trying to plant anything there. The clay horizon starts something like like two inches below the surface and continues down more than a foot.

FWIW, my mother who lives nearby has said she hasn't had much luck with rhododendrons, either, and she is much better at gardening than I am.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Meaty Ore posted:

I don't think I amended the soil very much at all, IIRC. Basically dug out an appropriate-sized hole, got the rhodo out of the pot, tried to break up the existing root ball a bit per the planting instructions (it was pretty difficult to do, and may also have been a contributing factor), and filled in around the root ball with topsoil. I'll probably alter the soil in that bed before trying to plant anything there. The clay horizon starts something like like two inches below the surface and continues down more than a foot.

FWIW, my mother who lives nearby has said she hasn't had much luck with rhododendrons, either, and she is much better at gardening than I am.

Maybe they’re baking in the sun?

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Possibly? When I dug the dead plant out, the roots were still roughly the same size and shape as they were when I planted them and hadn't grown outwards at all, hence the assumption that it died from being root-bound. And it seemed to be doing relatively well until last fall, when all the leaves turned red, then brown, and wilted. There hasn't been activity since then; there had been active new growth by this time last year.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
Here are some other shrub ideas native to the Eastern US with varying degrees of “shrubiness”:

Buttonbush - cephalanthus occidentalis
Silky Dogwood - cornus amomum
Ninebark - physocarpus opulifolius
Witch Hazel - hamamelis virginiana
Viburnum - viburnum acerifolium (also v. dentatum)
Chokeberry - aronia melanocarpa (also a. arbutifolia)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Meaty Ore posted:

Oh, yeah. That is exactly the circumstance in which a plant will get root-bound in the soil. Heavy clay is a bitch. I have not had great experiences trying to amend clay enough to get great drainage; I know there are people who do it successfully, but it can take years and a lot of compost/organic matter. At the very least, you'll need to mix the clay half and half with organic matter in an area the size of a bushel basket around the rhododendron, and then it will still be in a 'pot' surrounded by water after each rain.

Given that neither your mother or you are having success with rhododendrons, plant something else. I did a google on plants that love clay, and Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacis) comes in a wide variety of colors, is pretty, long-blooming. Have a look. I got the list from Proven Winners, who are shilling their own product, but you don't have to buy from them.

e: Proven Winners' complete Rose of Sharon page

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 9, 2022

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, yeah. That is exactly the circumstance in which a plant will get root-bound in the soil. Heavy clay is a bitch. I have not had great experiences trying to amend clay enough to get great drainage; I know there are people who do it successfully, but it can take years and a lot of compost/organic matter. At the very least, you'll need to mix the clay half and half with organic matter in an area the size of a bushel basket around the rhododendron, and then it will still be in a 'pot' surrounded by water after each rain.

Given that neither your mother or you are having success with rhododendrons, plant something else. I did a google on plants that love clay, and Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacis) comes in a wide variety of colors, is pretty, long-blooming. Have a look. I got the list from Proven Winners, who are shilling their own product, but you don't have to buy from them.

e: Proven Winners' complete Rose of Sharon page

Funny enough, I planted one of these last year at the other end of my house, where it gets full sun. Seems to be doing just fine so far; the new leaves are just starting to bud.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

ohhyeah posted:

Buttonbush - cephalanthus occidentalis
Ooh, I saw these in a local (like, practically across the street) arboretum last fall and have been trying to fit them into my yard ever since. Nice cross-season interest, and it's good into partial shade. This is, in fact, what I wanted to put where the crushed juniper is (but I think it's too shady there).

My husband and son gave me a young Key lime tree for Mother's Day. :3:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I just picked up a Rose of Sharon yesterday. Somehow I've ended up with all these hibiscus species. They're great.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

At the very least, you'll need to mix the clay half and half with organic matter in an area the size of a bushel basket around the rhododendron, and then it will still be in a 'pot' surrounded by water after each rain

My dad treats the North Carolina clay exactly as if he were preparing a potted plant. He'll dig (with a pick and mattock) to create a bowl the size of the plants eventual root system, then use a long drill bit to literally drill drainage holes through the bottom of the clay and back fill with heavily amended soil. You have to make the pot as big as it will be because you can't really "up-pot" something, and the clay is a completely impermeable barrier.

He's using Daikon radish to try and break up then self compost, but this is their second year there so we'll see if it does anything.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hope nobody minds me sharing these tulips from my garden that make me deliriously happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
^^^^^:swoon:

Meaty Ore posted:

Possibly? When I dug the dead plant out, the roots were still roughly the same size and shape as they were when I planted them and hadn't grown outwards at all, hence the assumption that it died from being root-bound. And it seemed to be doing relatively well until last fall, when all the leaves turned red, then brown, and wilted. There hasn't been activity since then; there had been active new growth by this time last year.

azalea/rhododendrons, blueberries, and a few others cant regulate the amount of calcium they take up ... they'll soak it up indiscriminately until they cant produce chlorophyll. the limestone clay soil in your area is rich in calcium so its kinda hostile to it, that would be my guess as to the problem. if you use conventional fertilizers it will of course hasten their demise

amending the soil with pine bark fines, using an "acid lovers" fertilizer, watering with rain water or reverse osmosis water, and i believe use of elemental sulfur in the winter ought to give you better results.