Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Cool thank you both! Sounds like a good series to read my kids once we're done with Alkatraz book 5 and Mistborn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Just finished the first 1/3 of Warbreaker up to where it is revealed the Godking has no tongue and is illiterate.

Glad to finally start getting a few things happening. I've been enjoying the characters but booooooooy has the first third felt especially slow. Not bad, as there are a bunch of fun and interesting characters, I'm just ready for something, anything, to happen.

After not liking the narrated audiobook, I went with the Graphic Audio adaptation. It was a bit jarring at first, but I've grown to really like it. The characters have a lot more personality and it feels a lot more like a community theater play, in a charming and endearing sort of way.

The audiobook narrator wasn't bad, but she really struggled with male character voices to the point that I felt like they greatly lacked personality. Her Lightsong was not nearly as good as the Graphic Audio one.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Glad to see there's a Sanderson thread on here.

I recently decided to pick up reading again after a years-long break during which I only read internet content while procrastinating. This is a terrible thing to do to your brain and I do not recommend it.

Anyway I chose the Mistborn trilogy because I wanted to try a new author and one night a YouTube rabbithole took me to watch a few of his lectures, where he was describing how he came up with the idea for the story. I thought it sounded good plus I'd heard elsewhere it was "entry-level" which was what I was looking for to ease myself back in. Not to mention he just comes across as being a decent, head-screwed-on-right kind of guy in general.

And it's been great! An easy to read, fast-moving page turner that isn't complicated was just what I needed. Only now I've hit the 3rd book and apart from the blistering action sequence right at the start (he's really good at those) it's slowed to a crawl. Not a lot is happening and there's been a few chapters that consist of nothing but some of the characters sitting around thought-monologuing - which is all fine and good it's just that I got used to it being more interspersed with other stuff and not all front-loaded like it seems to be here.

He has earned my trust, though, and I will finish because I'm confident things will start happening again hopefully soon, but if this had been the first book in structure and pacing, I'd be seriously considering putting it down and moving on to someone else by now. Instances of me having to read the same few paragraphs over and over again because my attention wanders have gone from once every few chapters to once every few pages, and that didn't happen at all in the previous two books.

So tl;dr my question is: I'm on chapter 25 of The Hero of Ages which I'm guessing is about a third of the way through, so, without spoiling anything and just so that I can set my expectations accordingly, how much longer do I have until I can start open palm slamming this book into my brainslot again like I did the other two?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

yeah early sanderson has the issue of the 'avalanche', where books can be super back-end loaded and slow to start

I'd say the back third is roughly where HoA kicks into gear?

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Cactus posted:

So tl;dr my question is: I'm on chapter 25 of The Hero of Ages which I'm guessing is about a third of the way through, so, without spoiling anything and just so that I can set my expectations accordingly, how much longer do I have until I can start open palm slamming this book into my brainslot again like I did the other two?

Probably a bit still. If memory serves the middle half that book is quite slow, lots of exposition and setup to help put everything together for the grand finale. But trust me, the grand finale is VERY worth it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 35 minutes!
Yeah Mistborn really pulls off that ending well, you won't be disappointed.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Every Sanderson book I’ve read so far has the middle slog problem. After I get through the book I’m reading now I’m gonna try his other books and see if they have that problem too. It’s not like super bad or anything it’s just like get to it already!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Of the three original Mistborn novels, the second one is generally considered the weakest of that gives you anything to go on

If you think of the series as a novel writ large you're basically at the end of the middle slog. Relatively soon you'll be riding an avalanche of avalanches, and I'm envious of your first time going through it :)

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

DarkHorse posted:

Of the three original Mistborn novels, the second one is generally considered the weakest of that gives you anything to go on

If you think of the series as a novel writ large you're basically at the end of the middle slog. Relatively soon you'll be riding an avalanche of avalanches, and I'm envious of your first time going through it :)

I feel like a weird outlier that the second was my favourite. I really liked the Zane and Straff stuff, the TenSoon stuff, and the well stuff at the end.

I've only read them once though, and it was years ago (they were the first BS I read), so maybe I'd change my tune on a reread.

I do definitely feel like 2 is stronger than the first 2/3rds of 3 though. It's just that the ending is :kiss: so you forget/forgive the 'slog' that came before it.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah I was always confident that he's going to pull it together in the end in spectacular fashion but at least now I know I've still got a bit more piece-moving to go. I've taken a break from reading last night and today so I can get back to it with renewed vigour and power through it.

101 posted:

I feel like a weird outlier that the second was my favourite. I really liked the Zane and Straff stuff, the TenSoon stuff, and the well stuff at the end.

I've only read them once though, and it was years ago (they were the first BS I read), so maybe I'd change my tune on a reread.

I do definitely feel like 2 is stronger than the first 2/3rds of 3 though. It's just that the ending is :kiss: so you forget/forgive the 'slog' that came before it.

I thought the same, I especially liked the developing relationship between Vin and Oresour/Tensoon and Elend's transformation under Tindwyl, although I'd probably rank both book one and two equally in terms of how much I enjoyed them. Book one was introducing the world, the characters and the cool videogame-like magic system where I was constantly looking around wide-eyed going "whoah that's cool" and book two was like now that we all know who's who and how things work (for the most part, hehe), here are the places we can go if we run with it. Oh and the part where Vin headbutted that guys head off was badass in the best reminding me what it felt like to be a teenager kind of way.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 6, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Cactus posted:

Oh and the part where Vin headbutted that guys head off was badass in the best reminding me what it felt like to be a teenager kind of way.

I recently re-read the first trilogy and had forgotten about that scene entirely. That part is so :black101: :getin: and I am here for it

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I felt all three books of Mistborn were wonderful. Book 2 felt a little drab and slow at times with Elend vying for his slot as emperor and being outclassed at every chance but as always with Sanderson, it's a means to an end and the ending of book 2 paid off in spades knowing the absolutely wonderful kickoff in book 3. Book 3 had a bit of an annoying travel problem with so many main characters being spread out amongst the cities but the way Sanderson solved that was cool, and with him you know all the meticulous details, quiet spots and exposition are there for a reason, and the way the series ends is magical. I'm roughly 220 pages into reading book 1 to my 8 year old and while she loves it, it's even more fun convincing her not everything is at it seems.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Really digging your thoughts on Gavilar and Dalinar. Reminds me of why Dalinar is my favorite character. Wild speculation: It's been a while, but it's still stuck in my mind how "unite them" kept being a recurring theme for Dalinar. It didn't come up much in RoW, so maybe it's not going to come back, but an end game Dalinar becoming Honor + reuniting multiple shards into Honor/Odium/maybe more, maybe becoming the new Adonalsium, etc. still seems like a possibility to me. Though probably after Dalinar is the general of Odium in a cosmere wide war of two major shard groups.

With the stormfather lying I wonder if it's something that will be edited to be less of a lie and more of a spren halftruth kindof thing.

I still think that "unite them," is referring to bringing splintered lowercase-s shards back together into an unsplintered capital-S Shard and resurrecting Honor. It would be a significant Cosmere-wide event to have someone undo the splintering that Odium discovered how to do.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Louisgod posted:

I'm roughly 220 pages into reading book 1 to my 8 year old and while she loves it, it's even more fun convincing her not everything is at it seems.

How’s that working for you? I have a ten year old that is reading the Enchanted Forest Chronicles (Dealing with Dragons, etc.) on her own. There’s surely no way she would handle Mistborn independently, but I would also have guessed that ten—let alone eight—is too young for the series even if someone is reading it to you.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Grundulum posted:

How’s that working for you? I have a ten year old that is reading the Enchanted Forest Chronicles (Dealing with Dragons, etc.) on her own. There’s surely no way she would handle Mistborn independently, but I would also have guessed that ten—let alone eight—is too young for the series even if someone is reading it to you.

Working very well, she loves it, and my 10 year old pretends she doesn't like it but does listen and tends to ask questions and point out things she hears. Both of them go to a bi-lingual school so my 8 year old has a hard time reading english which means I can read her Mistborn and leave out some of the more questionable content (prostitution, severing of heads/limbs, minor cursing, etc.) so it tends to be more child friendly. I don't believe in dumbing down for kids and enjoy pointing out the more complicated words and ask them what they think it means. They're convinced Kelsier will be in all 6 of the Mistborn books so I'm super interested to see their reaction to the ending.

Wax and Wayne though? Definitely more racey and colorful with its language, so if we get to that point I'm not sure how I'll be able to censor basically every Wayne interaction.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Louisgod posted:

Wax and Wayne though? Definitely more racey and colorful with its language, so if we get to that point I'm not sure how I'll be able to censor basically every Wayne interaction.

I say leave it in, don’t explain it, and see how much they actually pick up on. But definitely try to imitate the Wayne voice from the audio books as you read.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm reading the Hunger Games to my ten year old currently and he loves it. I asked him what he thought the main themes of the book were about two thirds of the way through book one and he said that it was bad that rich people can do whatever they want and get away with it, and that it would be a really really bad idea to have an in-real-life game of Fortnite. I was like yup, that's an OK take, I'll take it.

I don't believe in dumbing down for kids either. Some people say stuff like "they won't understand that!" to which I say "of course they won't if no-one ever goes through it with them." And if your kids are 8-10, they've already heard and are using every swearword you know in the playground with their mates (and a few up-and-coming ones that you don't) and they know that 69 is a hilarious number already so that ship has sailed.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Grundulum posted:

I say leave it in, don’t explain it, and see how much they actually pick up on. But definitely try to imitate the Wayne voice from the audio books as you read.

daughter: dad why is Wayne so obsessed with balls
me, in thickest australian accent possible: oy mate, 'e oughta Invest in some itchin' cream yeh?? what a right bugger tha itchin' be, right?

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Just finished Hero of Ages last night and was really impressed by the way Sando brought it all together and delivered a great ending to the trilogy. Super satisfying, and with just the right amount of bittersweet.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I always appreciated Neil Gaiman’s view that children should be given more credit with regard to the books they consume. I mean, I wouldn’t let a child read Game of Thrones, but I also feel like no one should read those books. Lol.

There’s nothing in the Wax & Wayne books that is any worse than what you’d see in an average sitcom. Hell, with Brando Sando’s writing, it’s actually probably less tame than 90% of what kids watch on TV.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

I always appreciated Neil Gaiman’s view that children should be given more credit with regard to the books they consume. I mean, I wouldn’t let a child read Game of Thrones, but I also feel like no one should read those books. Lol.

There’s nothing in the Wax & Wayne books that is any worse than what you’d see in an average sitcom. Hell, with Brando Sando’s writing, it’s actually probably less tame than 90% of what kids watch on TV.

It's true, I feel 10 is the perfect age to start introducing those more risque lines as 3rd or 4th grade is when kids start to really get exposed to and absorb more adult themes. My 8 year old is an extremely wholesome and innocent kiddo and gets very, very stressed over violent situations, so I'm actively choosing to be incremental with violent or sexual themes in the YA books I read. The Alcatraz books, for example, have a great balance of innocence and potty humor and are great for the 8 to 12 age range.

The only thing I'm really struggling with is flipping between the voices of characters. I try to switch but catch after the fact I'm reading a Breeze line or a Vin line and it's hard to know in advance whose line I'm reading.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Infinite Karma posted:

I still think that "unite them," is referring to bringing splintered lowercase-s shards back together into an unsplintered capital-S Shard and resurrecting Honor. It would be a significant Cosmere-wide event to have someone undo the splintering that Odium discovered how to do.

That's going to be pretty hard to do in and of itself since I suspect we're going to get a reveal that when Honor was shattered, some splinter(s) of it got attached to Odium and that's why he simply cannot violate the oaths that bind him, since even as powerful as a Herald Bondsmith is, they're still less than an insect when compared to a Shard so if they're lucky then maybe they'd be able to help a dying Honor Connect a splinter of itself to Odium to ensure it can't break oaths.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Paddyo posted:

Just finished Hero of Ages last night and was really impressed by the way Sando brought it all together and delivered a great ending to the trilogy. Super satisfying, and with just the right amount of bittersweet.

I'm about to go brush my teeth and go to bed and I'm going to spend the next couple of hours reading this book :peanut:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm about 40%? through Warbreaker. Getting to the point where I really enjoy it. The funny thing, I find Siri and Vivienna the least interesting of the characters so far. My favorites are Lightsong, Denth, Tonk Fah, Vasher, Llarimar, and Bluefingers.

Have zero clue where this story is going to go at the moment but it's finally getting to a point where I'm starting to grasp which mysteries I should be looking for answers to. I certainly have no answers, but I feel like I'm getting grounded within the world.

As for the point in the story - I'm just at the point where Vivienna talked to Jewels about being a drab and got told off.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Siri and Vivienna both turn into surprisingly excellent characters, Siri especially.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Louisgod posted:

Siri and Vivienna both turn into surprisingly excellent characters, Siri especially.

Yeah, she's started teaching Susebron how to read but that's about it.

Still very much in the setup phase. The Graphic Audio adaptation is split in 3 parts. Part 1 is 6 hours and ends when Siri learns that Susebron is a gentle giant that had his tongue removed.. I'm 2 hours into part 2, which is 5 hours. Then Part 3 is another 6 hours.

About 17 hours total. (Which is less than the audio book, at 25 hours).

Took a little to get used to the Graphic Audio, but I'm liking it. There are still parts where the sound mixing is bad and the dialog gets almost drown out by the music/sounds, but it's been a fun and different way to engage with it.

Also, Lightsong's actor is amazing.

Currently, here are my hopes and assumptions:
I hope Blushweaver is more complex and not just power hungry. She seems kinda evil right now and I really hope she's not.
I hope Bluefingers survives this. I like that little man.
I could see Denth and Tonk Fah sacrifices themselves for Vivianna or something. Denth might be my favorite character currently.
I like them. I assume Susebron's high priest is a evil motherfucker. gently caress that guy. rear end in a top hat.
I assume Lightsong is going to die doing a heroic sacrifice. It feels like natural culmination of his arc.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mordiceius posted:

I hope Blushweaver is more complex and not just power hungry. She seems kinda evil right now and I really hope she's not.
I could see Denth and Tonk Fah sacrifices themselves for Vivianna or something. Denth might be my favorite character currently.
I like them. I assume Susebron's high priest is a evil motherfucker. gently caress that guy. rear end in a top hat.
I assume Lightsong is going to die doing a heroic sacrifice. It feels like natural culmination of his arc.

:allears:

I look forward to when you finish and come back to revisit this post.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

Amazing! :allears:

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's going to be pretty hard to do in and of itself since I suspect we're going to get a reveal that when Honor was shattered, some splinter(s) of it got attached to Odium and that's why he simply cannot violate the oaths that bind him, since even as powerful as a Herald Bondsmith is, they're still less than an insect when compared to a Shard so if they're lucky then maybe they'd be able to help a dying Honor Connect a splinter of itself to Odium to ensure it can't break oaths.

Shards are like giant spren, so they, like spren, can't violate oaths anyway. That's why Preservation basically killed himself when he imprisoned Ruin, he broke their agreement to let Ruin destroy Scadrial. I wouldn't be surprised if Odium really had absorbed parts of Honor, but whether he did so or not, it has no bearing on his inability to violate his oath.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

When I was reading Stormlight I’d text a friend what I though was going on and he only ever responded with a smilie face, so..

:)

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

So is Oathbringer the “middle-slog” of Stormlight because I’m about 1/4 through and man this thing is really spinning its wheels.

This is actually my second time trying to read the series thus far and I’m recalling that this is where I fell off last time, too.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I felt like Rhythm of War was far more “move pieces into place for later payoff” than Oathbringer was. The ending to Oathbringer, IIRC, was top-loving-notch.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VanillaGorilla posted:

So is Oathbringer the “middle-slog” of Stormlight because I’m about 1/4 through and man this thing is really spinning its wheels.

This is actually my second time trying to read the series thus far and I’m recalling that this is where I fell off last time, too.

Can you tell us which chapter you're on? That might give us perspective.

Also, the Oathbringer flashbacks are far and away the best flashbacks in the whole series (and a serious competitor to the till that point best flashbacks in fantasy, the Rhuidean sequence in Wheel of Time). I was devouring those, and was sometimes even annoyed when the narrative changed back to the "present". The flashbacks were that exciting.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oathbringer is the second best of the four IMO, with Way of Kings taking #1.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
2 > 3 > 1 > 4 for me

I think I must just have a thing for the second book in his series'.

Mistborn Era 1
Mistborn Era 2
Stormlight

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I find I love all of his "firsts" the best, typically. They get to promise so much while introducing the magic system and the emphasis on world building as much as character building.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

VanillaGorilla posted:

Oathbringer is the best Stormlight book and it's drat good the whole way through. Do people really find it slower than the first two? I love all the books but I definitely feel like 1 and 2 take way longer to get into the action, those books are 75% slow world building and character building. The backstory that Dalinar goes through in Oathbringer is not only exceptional on its own but it's happening along with a shitton of other awesome story developments.

Like, if you find the book in general to be a slog (outside of say individual chapters) then maybe it's not for you?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
I honestly feel the first two Stormlight books are basically one long story.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oathbringer is my favorite Sanderson novel (of the ones I've read), tied with The Final Empire which I've read more because it's shorter and more self-contained.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
If you’re not pumping your arm and yelling YES YES YES during the last few hours of Oathbringer then please seek immediate help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Oathbringer owns. ROW is boringly bad. Mistborn is the best. Dawnshard is really good. And Warbreaker rules.