Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

If you were wearing halo armor it would probably recycle that pee for you.

Why take the risk it doesn't? I have my tactical diaper on for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3veOrWleMc

so basically everything to do with the mystics is forerunner iconography and design

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Why take the risk it doesn't? I have my tactical diaper on for a reason.

Huh.. never thought of that. So you think it might just have drain holes?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Master Chief's suit also jerks him off.

One detail I like about the show is just how oversized Covenant weapons look when held by humans. That plasma grenade was the size of a grapefruit. Just a little thing to illustrate how much of a wrecking machine an elite would be against a bunch of average humans.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

not me I'll dog walk an alien

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

ill German suplex an elite through a glass coffee table

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Huh.. never thought of that. So you think it might just have drain holes?

Frankly I think they might have just made the man a drat Ken doll down there, pardon my french

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Google Butt posted:

Master Chief and one of the other Spartans are gonna 3D a Covenant soldier through a folding table.

We might even see a tornado DDT.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gonz posted:

Master Chief and one of the other Spartans are gonna 3D a Covenant soldier through a folding table.

We might even see a tornado DDT.

Kwan exists so John Halo can put a grunt on his shoulders and she can hit a Doomsday Device on it :hellyeah:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

grittyreboot posted:

One detail I like about the show is just how oversized Covenant weapons look when held by humans. That plasma grenade was the size of a grapefruit. Just a little thing to illustrate how much of a wrecking machine an elite would be against a bunch of average humans.

I was watching this episode with my partner and when Kwan grabbed the plasma grenade I was pretty much doing the Leo pointing at the TV meme.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Probably one of the better action sequences done outside of like Korean action cinema in years, but there was a girl in it so IDK I cried and peed my pants.

does anyone actually watch action scenes? aka the loud part you can glaze your eyes over until the cg and lovely editing ends

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Desert witches were stupid as poo poo

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

I think all the Halo guns and weapons are a bit oversized just to be more visible to the player in the games, as a result live action versions tend to look pretty chunky. I'm glad they didn't try to rescale stuff for the show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're super big. It's pretty funny in Halo 3 when you see Marines lugging around the MA5 assault rifles and they're just massive in their little arms.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Khanstant posted:

does anyone actually watch action scenes? aka the loud part you can glaze your eyes over until the cg and lovely editing ends

Did you watch this one?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well it helps that the pulse rifle props were built around real guns so they had actual weight while the Halo assault rifle is just plastic.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

In the first episode the elite stabs his plasma sword through the door of the room the children are hiding behind but in subsequent shots the melted holes are missing, loving piece of poo poo show

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

muscles like this! posted:

Well it helps that the pulse rifle props were built around real guns so they had actual weight while the Halo assault rifle is just plastic.

I wonder if the skill set in the prop making industry has changed much since 3d printing became a thing.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

i hated this episode except for some little moments

what a slog :(

take me back to chief pls

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

my cat is norris posted:

Yeah this was clearly the big 'make us care about madrigol' episode and it just falls completely flat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Did you watch this one?

the episode but not didn't pay attention to the particulars of the fighting with the nazi villain and his goons except to see they blew up the red base and escaped and i assume we see that nazi guy again later but all hosed up

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

my cat is norris posted:

p much. this was eh whatever incarnate. the final action bit was indeed well done and i enjoyed seeing Burn Gorman do his thing but the work hasnt been done to make me care about these people or this place.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I think that's really the missing component for me. I simply don't care about Madrigal or Kwan Ha. I appreciate them trying to show more of the human element within the Halo universe, but recycling these tired tropes was not the way to do it.

I could not have been more bored by the desert mystics and Kwan's extremely accelerated development from "not ready" to "hero of the planet."

I kiiiiiinda like what's going on with Soren, but he appears to have magical teleportation powers which take me out of the moment. This episode just felt really really rushed and sloppy: nothing was given a chance to breathe and develop as it should. Sure, skipping over travel fluff is fine, but they're leaving the audience to fill in a few too many gaps, imo.

Soren being back with his family and making up a bombastic story to explain the loss of his ship was pretty great. On the other hand, Kwan's sudden ascension to Fated Hero was far too...hollow and unearned.

I honestly have no idea how much time was supposed to have passed throughout all of this.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, all that stuff with Soren happening while Kwan's story was taking place is extremely goofy. He went back to his home base, had a party, went on a raid and then went back to Madrigal all in the time she had a vision.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Yeah, all that stuff with Soren happening while Kwan's story was taking place is extremely goofy. He went back to his home base, had a party, went on a raid and then went back to Madrigal all in the time she had a vision.

I fell asleep during this episode and had a 'wait what, how?' moment a couple of times. First it was that Soren was back at his place having a party, then he was doing the raid. I think that was before I fell asleep and figured that some serious time must have passed.

Then I nodded off and woke up to see him in Madrigal. I thought the next episode had started, or it was a flashback!

Light travel in Halo must be instantaneous. Or maybe the pirate colony is right around the corner.

I wonder if originally this episode or the last one was intended to have A/B John / Kwan arcs like the rest of the season, but they switched it up to speed the plot along.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Google Butt posted:

BAW GAWD THAT'S GUILTY SPARK 343'S MUSIC

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Isometric Bacon posted:

I wonder if originally this episode or the last one was intended to have A/B John / Kwan arcs like the rest of the season, but they switched it up to speed the plot along.

That seems likely, especially with how last week we didn't get any Madrigal and this week we didn't get any (non vision) John.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Isometric Bacon posted:

I fell asleep during this episode and had a 'wait what, how?' moment a couple of times. First it was that Soren was back at his place having a party, then he was doing the raid. I think that was before I fell asleep and figured that some serious time must have passed.

Then I nodded off and woke up to see him in Madrigal. I thought the next episode had started, or it was a flashback!

Light travel in Halo must be instantaneous. Or maybe the pirate colony is right around the corner.

I can’t tell you for sure if it’s how Slipstream works because again I’m too lazy to Google and just going off my nerd memory but basically slipstream is a whole other dimension and pulls the two points together so it could be instantaneous travel depending on how far the pirate colony and Madrigal are apart like it was pointed out before.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Slipstream is inconsistent on human ships and can end up throwing you weeks into the future or sometimes arriving before you left. The Pillar of Autumn escapes from Reach on August 30th and doesn't reach the Halo until September 18th or so, despite it only being a few days relative for the Autumn's crew.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
in my head the pillar of autumn was the o'neill cylinder version of the halo, but set to always be fall weather.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rip Burn Gorman, again

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I really hope he comes back as a deformed and charred villain, like two face, but absolutely maniacal. I mean he won't, but he should.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Reborn as Gore Burnman.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

I was thinking that exact thing. That pulse rifle ripley is handling probably weights 5-9 lbs in real life, whereas in Halo, the gun is probably a 3D printed hollow shell or carved foam painted to look right, and it might weight one pound total.

Sammus fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 11, 2022

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Why don't the UNSC ships in this show have cool Ian Banks names like the ones in the video games

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

zoux posted:

Why don't the UNSC ships in this show have cool Ian Banks names like the ones in the video games

One in the novels was called the UNSC Stalingrad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sammus posted:

I was thinking that exact thing. That pulse rifle ripley is handling probably weights 5-9 lbs in real life, whereas in Halo, the gun is probably a 3D printed hollow shell or carved foam painted to look right, and it might weight one pound total.

Yeah seeing as the rifle Kwan grabs never fires I'm assuming it didn't have any moving parts at all which really cuts down on weight.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Goddammit Chief.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jonathan Halo shall soon appear and do things in outer space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I'll say this, I didn't expect a lot of that.