Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Young Freud posted:

I have suspected for a while that video was from some earlier event.

Didn't the captain of the Moskva also appear in that video, despite being reported as "dead"?

Have there been interviews or VKontakte posts by sailors who survived? Ie are there known survivors? Or is it just complete radio silence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

mobby_6kl posted:

The Al Qaeda guy is right though? Not that Iraq/Afghanistan put a significant dent into America's MIC but the clear reluctance to confront Russia earlier is what made Putin think he could get away with this invasion.

Had this level of support existed after 2014, we wouldn't be talking about it right now. But instead everyone spent 8 years worrying about making Putin upset.

The reluctance to confront Russia had nothing to do with Iraq. There was a whole 50 year period before Iraq where the US was reluctant to confront Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Srqyd8B9gE&t=2958s

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
gently caress my monkies

Journalist Shura Burtin of Meduza wrote a terrific piece on the rationalization of the Special Operation.

Filled to the brim with gold nuggets.

Shura Burtin - posted:

○ ○ ○

“We’re liberating them.”

“But what if the people there are against it?”

“Well, that may be the case. But we’re not fighting civilians. It just happened to be that they live where all that is happening.”

○ ○ ○

○ ○ ○

“We treat Ukrainians perfectly fine here, don’t we?”

“A lot of people have told us they thought the ‘khokhols [a derogatory term for Ukrainians] need to be punished’.”

“Exactly! They need to be punished!”

○ ○ ○

It is a very long read, several chapters. The Quality of Writing is just astounding.

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/05/03/feeling-around-for-something-human

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Bomb the loving bridge.

Preferably when there's nobody a Russian general present on the bridge

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/UAWeapons/status/1523027490230444035

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FishBulbia posted:

(snake island attack)

Bit close there, #2....

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sofokles posted:

It is a very long read, several chapters. The Quality of Writing is just astounding.

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/05/03/feeling-around-for-something-human

This is just depressing to read. I don't know if there's hope for Russia.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I think this is old but I like the clumsy translation: WE ARE SENT TO rear end!
https://twitter.com/kamilkazani/status/1522247844203311107?cxt=HHwWhsC93auWjqAqAAAA
READ OP! War in Ukraine: WE ARE SENT TO rear end

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

lilljonas posted:

The US completely flaked out of Syria, including not intervening when Russia and their allies crossed Obama's clearly stated red lines. This included breaking promises to their own allies. There's a certain degree of truth in saying that the US failures in Afghanistan and Iraq lead to US backing being so risk averse in Syria (not wanting an immediate third failure in a decade in the same part of the world), which in turn made it look like the US being weak and not able to protect their (non-European) allies.

I think Syria is more important here than Crimea to be honest, when it comes to Putin's evaluation of how dangerous it would be to mess around further.

:agreed: though of course, it would be foolish trying to pin point it to any particular moment. It was never going to be likely that USA would make a big presence in Syria, and there's limits to how much support can be given to rebel groups. Ukrainian army is not some insurgent militia either, so delivering material support to them is easier. Heck, if USA ever sent troops to Ukraine they could appeal to Russians acting in Syria. Another part is how the invasion of Iraq in 2003 gave Putin the view that might makes right, USA is using force against United Nations' will to build its own world order and therefore Russia is justified or even required to do the same.

But ultimately it all comes down to Putin being a stagnation era Soviet revanchist KGB officer. Regardless of what the west was doing, he would be poisoning his opponents and using military threat to keep what he considers his backyard under control.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Phlegmish posted:

I'm not sure, a lot of what's said is similar to what Americans were saying about Iraq 20 years ago. Obviously a lot of things are different this time around, but the general rhetoric (talk of "liberation" followed by some slur) is very similar.

With Americans, that rhetoric felt like a way to deal with humiliation and fear following 9/11. With Russia, the humiliation and the fear that was built up in the 90s was never dealt with, and now it's being weaponised in the same way that the 9/11 attacks were by the Bush administration.

d64
Jan 15, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

When I first learnt that most Russians are strongly behind the invasion, I thought that there must be some element of consentual ignorance. Most Russians definitely realize that not everything on TV is true, so why do they choose to believe the story on the war then? Those interviews draw a pretty stark picture; people can only go along with the official story since facing the facts - which are horrendous and go against much of how they see themselves as a people - is too much.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Morrow posted:

It's worth remembering that Russian disinformation efforts have shifted to the non-western world. The same broke brain intellectual input that created Offensive Realism is circulating in China. You're going to get similar takes talking to Brazilians or South Africans right now.

Also, Chinese analysts are just used to thinking in autocratic terms. Of course there's always a boss country and then follower countries that's how it works.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Storkrasch posted:

I'm not sure, a lot of what's said is similar to what Americans were saying about Iraq 20 years ago. Obviously a lot of things are different this time around, but the general rhetoric (talk of "liberation" followed by some slur) is very similar.

With Americans, that rhetoric felt like a way to deal with humiliation and fear following 9/11. With Russia, the humiliation and the fear that was built up in the 90s was never dealt with, and now it's being weaponised in the same way that the 9/11 attacks were by the Bush administration.

I think it’s a mistake to compare it to Iraq rhetoric uncritically. While yes there are similarities and no this does not excuse it, Americans being easy to hoodwink about the situation on the ground halfway across the globe is at least more plausible than deploying the same rhetoric against your literal next door neighbors whom you know very well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

d64 posted:

When I first learnt that most Russians are strongly behind the invasion, I thought that there must be some element of consentual ignorance. Most Russians definitely realize that not everything on TV is true, so why do they choose to believe the story on the war then? Those interviews draw a pretty stark picture; people can only go along with the official story since facing the facts - which are horrendous and go against much of how they see themselves as a people - is too much.

It's not a matter of weighing up the facts and applying reason, it's more this dogged belief that my team is best so I'll repeat whatever convenient talking point I get served. See boomers/Trump. It has to be based on a pretty solid foundation of propaganda though. Boomers and Russians share the propaganda-fed viewpoint of "all the trouble I feel is due to liberals/the West".

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Storkrasch posted:

How to control popular opinion must be a well studied phenomenon given how it's been truly emphasized since WW2, and arguably even longer. Turns out this can be done even in a democracy, especially if something catalystic (like the 9/11) happens, but it is much easier when there is just one party pulling the strings and all media are echoing that party's message. Even totalitarian states where there is only one truth are vulnerable to unrest, but riot police helps there, to a point. As long as you have a living, you can live with the lie rather than die for the truth.

We definitely should never trust that we are some independent philosophers watching the world from the safety of our own ivory tower. We all are subject to the same psychological and social pressures and don't think logically much of the time, if even that. In fact life would be very difficult if we always sought conclusive evidence to support our actions, so we automate some of those processes.

Beast
May 2, 2004
thirsty for justice

The backing music is a banger.

Are the Russians just repeatedly sending men / equipment onto the island so they can get destroyed like that airfield and the artillery??

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Holy poo poo that's incredible footage. This is what, the fourth separate strike against assets on that island in the last 2 days?

The battle for Snake Island is really intense, I clearly underestimate the strategic value of this location. Does anyone understand why it's so contested? The only thing I can think is that it's important to the blockade of Odessa.

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think it’s a mistake to compare it to Iraq rhetoric uncritically. While yes there are similarities and no this does not excuse it, Americans being easy to hoodwink about the situation on the ground halfway across the globe is at least more plausible than deploying the same rhetoric against your literal next door neighbors whom you know very well.

It's not so much the lack of understanding of what's going on on the ground I mean, but e.g. talking about liberation, democracy and glassing the desert in the same breath.

It's surprising that it works as well as it does given the history of Ukraine and Russia, but I don't feel like Russians (or Americans at the time) are thinking about these things rationally, they are very emotional times. America at the time needed to be seen as being strong and capable of getting revenge, and I think Russians feel similarly now. The difference is, I guess, that for Russians the feeling of humiliation has been festering and stoked by propaganda for over 20 years.

poor waif fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 7, 2022

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Can you imagine the Russian forces on snake island. First the SAM gets destroyed, followed by the zsu-23-2. The next day they hit the new SAM system as it’s being offloaded from the landing boat which destroys both. At night now they get bombed by su27s doing low level bombing runs from <1000 ft :yikes: Worst deployment

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Apparently this happened:

https://twitter.com/IntelDoge/status/1523026035423514624

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/british-youtube-star-rich-arrested-baikonur-cosmodrome-russia-2022-05-07/

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

This guy. I liked his videos a lot and then I read about him... Woops. I know he hung out with a Nazi dude that has the same gimmick.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

This is another case of what I've come to describe as "Mad Libs News". A story or event that doesn't sound so much like reality as much as it does the result of a bored headline writer playing Mad Libs.

What in the gently caress was he ever doing there?

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Chalks posted:

Holy poo poo that's incredible footage. This is what, the fourth separate strike against assets on that island in the last 2 days?

The battle for Snake Island is really intense, I clearly underestimate the strategic value of this location. Does anyone understand why it's so contested? The only thing I can think is that it's important to the blockade of Odessa.

If you put down SAM launchers there and on the west of the Crimea you can lock down the entire Black Sea airspace around Ukraine's south. That's especially important if you just lost one of your primary air defense ships.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Beast posted:

Are the Russians just repeatedly sending men / equipment onto the island so they can get destroyed like that airfield and the artillery??

As Cinci's grandparents told him, "You shouldn't sit on a rock".

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This guy. I liked his videos a lot and then I read about him... Woops. I know he hung out with a Nazi dude that has the same gimmick.

I honestly don't know much about him beyond what has been posted in these threads, but he sounds like he must be a colossal idiot if he decided now was a good time to go on a sightseeing tour of sensitive Russian missile launch sites as a UK citizen.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is another case of what I've come to describe as "Mad Libs News". A story or event that doesn't sound so much like reality as much as it does the result of a bored headline writer playing Mad Libs.

British spy doing spy things.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

presumably trying to do some pua poo poo to a cosmonaut.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

If you put down SAM launchers there and on the west of the Crimea you can lock down the entire Black Sea airspace around Ukraine's south. That's especially important if you just lost one of your primary air defense ships.

Do the larger Russian ships have their own AA or was the Moskva the only source of that besides land based batteries?

Presumably the only reason Ukraine would care about opening up the airspace over the Black Sea is to threaten the warships blockading Odessa, or are there other reasons they'd be wanting access to the airspace over the Black Sea?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Yeah, no chance. You don't use a Youtube dude with millions of followers as a spy. That would be idiotic beyond even the CIA's capabilities.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yeah unfortunately this sex tourist and deadbeat is not a spy. I mean hes kind of pro Russia I think?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Beast posted:

The backing music is a banger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEpkcVi1d4

Beast posted:

Nobody wants to be the general that has to tell Putin he can't have Snake Island

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Bald and bankrupt had to apologize on Chechen national TV after calling Chechen women beautiful

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Yeah, no chance. You don't use a Youtube dude with millions of followers as a spy. That would be idiotic beyond even the CIA's capabilities.

It was obvious sarcasm.

lol @ if they send him to the slammer or penal colony for 10 years just because Boris has been pouring billions worth of military equipment into Ukraine

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Chalks posted:

Here's a little map to visualize this. The circle C around the Snake Island has a radius of 35 kilometers, the range of a Buk AA missile, for reference. Tiraspol is the capital of rebel Transnistrian province of Moldova. Constanta is the biggest port of Romania.

Also worth noting that just a few days ago Russia hit the one bridge from Odesa to the south of the Dnestre estuary. They are trying to take that bridge out to isolate the area. It can't be ruled out that Russia would try a landing there, which subsequently means that Ukraine needs to keep it defended. Those Bayraktars and Sukhois that hit Snake Island could also be hitting targets elsewhere if Russians didn't keep presence there.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

NATO doesn't know how screwed it is, Russia is the first country in the world to develop the first quantum battleship.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

Bald and bankrupt had to apologize on Chechen national TV after calling Chechen women beautiful

I'd like a link to this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

New grim doc from Vice from near Kyiv and Sievierodonetsk

:nms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvNc9yDox8U

That's a very powerful piece of reporting. But it covers some very hosed up human situations, have tissues handy.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'd like a link to this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVy2EYuVyF4

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Russia's idiot naval commanders are making the floor of the Black Sea too crowded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cheers.