Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

If you won’t fight space hitler for your kid you’re a bad parent

Y'know it's odd theoretically Uso's dad is doing the same thing as Bright, but he comes off as a total loving prick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dang, Four got that kiss real quick.

E: Oh noooooo

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 8, 2022

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Dang, Four got that kiss real quick.

It's good she got the kiss while she did. :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Y'know it's odd theoretically Uso's dad is doing the same thing as Bright, but he comes off as a total loving prick.

It's partially because Bright left Mirai in charge on the homefront, and Mirai's an amazing mom, giving the kids a nice normal home life. Meanwhile, Uso is left alone to fight for his ham against intruders at 13, when he's not forcibly training for the military.

We also see Bright literally break down sobbing over his inability to be there for his kids, which Uso's dad doesn't.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

universal century.txt

tired gay and dead
Apr 4, 2022

by Hand Knit
I don't really blame Bright that much, he got accidentally thrown into being one of the most important people in the federation military by virtue of inheriting command of two newly developed superweapons and he's doing his best to manage it. It's pretty fair for him to believe that if he doesn't do it then zeon might actually just win the war and get his family straight up killed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

tired gay and dead posted:

I don't really blame Bright that much, he got accidentally thrown into being one of the most important people in the federation military by virtue of inheriting command of two newly developed superweapons and he's doing his best to manage it. It's pretty fair for him to believe that if he doesn't do it then zeon might actually just win the war and get his family straight up killed.

On the other hand, that attitude seems to be a self fulfilling prophecy in UC and one of the reasons Sayla had a better life than Char is because she chose to walk away from constant warfare, or even trying to stop her brother when she was certain he was doing something. One of the themes in Hathaway's Flash is that Hathaway could have walked away from a life of violence, even in pursuit of ultimately good things, and because he didn't, he died without ever achieving anything or gaining any personal happiness. He could have had some happiness with Gigi if he'd just turned away from those things. He didn't though, and it didn't turn out well for him. Which...I'm not sure how good a theme that is to push, really.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 8, 2022

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Gaius Marius posted:

Forget dads. Bellri's mom is the greatest of all time. Let's shout her out on this mothersday

Yes.

Who in Gundam even has a good mom. Bellri, Hiroto, ???

I feel like there’s a lot of single dads in Gundam.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Hey this is your captain. We don't got any more Gundams so we're just gonna ram 'em and kill ourselves."

E: Men will jump into an enemy combatant's mobile suit in the middle of a battle instead of going to therapy

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 9, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

wdarkk posted:

Yes.

Who in Gundam even has a good mom. Bellri, Hiroto, ???

I feel like there’s a lot of single dads in Gundam.

Seabook's mom isn't great, but she's better than Amuro's dad, and she survives F91 intact. Iron Blooded Orphans has some good moms, especially if you count the epilogue. Domon's mom died, but at least he was an adult when it happened, and judging by his dad she was a good parent. Chibodee's mom also died, but it was to get her son to a better life away from clown terrorists, plus she left him with "American the Beautiful" as a lullaby. Ms. Iori and Ms. Kuga from the Build shows do a good job.

There's also Mirai, of course. They don't get much better than Mirai. (Sorry, Fraw. Not that you're a bad mom. You're just up against real tough competition.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If you're counting parents that died, but about who we can infer things, then Banana and Kira's moms are also probably worth consideration. We don't know much about either, beyond that Banagher's mom pulled him away from his rich dick dad when she realized the kind of awful conditioning that he was being put through, and raised him in a fairly normal life while Kira's mom basically did the same thing, having a big bust up with his father about the right to raise their kids naturally rather than using them as experiments. They'll hardly be up for Mother of the Year award or anything, but they were at least willing to stand up for their kids to give them a life they believed would be better for them, and that's pretty admirable on it's own.

AGE should really have a handicap in this competition, but then AGE is AGE and every woman in that show exists to be a love interest and then disappears into the background once that role is fulfilled. So in the end, you couldn't even say any of the women in it were good mothers, because they had so little personality or presence as parents.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

chiasaur11 posted:

Seabook's mom isn't great, but she's better than Amuro's dad, and she survives F91 intact. Iron Blooded Orphans has some good moms, especially if you count the epilogue. Domon's mom died, but at least he was an adult when it happened, and judging by his dad she was a good parent. Chibodee's mom also died, but it was to get her son to a better life away from clown terrorists, plus she left him with "American the Beautiful" as a lullaby. Ms. Iori and Ms. Kuga from the Build shows do a good job.

There's also Mirai, of course. They don't get much better than Mirai. (Sorry, Fraw. Not that you're a bad mom. You're just up against real tough competition.)

Can’t believe I forgot Ms Iori and Mirai.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh hey we're nearly halfway through Zeta Gundam, maybe we should have the Zeta Gundam

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh hey we're nearly halfway through Zeta Gundam, maybe we should have the Zeta Gundam

Maybe someday we'll finally see the SEED Gundam. Possibly George de Sand knows something about it?

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
SEED has a bunch of terrible parents. Kira's adoptive parents seem okay but his bio-dad is a nightmare. Cagali's adopted dad is okay. Lol Patrick Zala is terrible. Mwu's dad wanted to clone himself and mostly ignored him but he's mostly a plot device. Durandal and Talia definietly were Rey's parents but there's A LOT going on there to unpack, like Durandal making sure Rey and Rau were regularly meeting up and Talia having her own kid but choosing to die with Durandal and Rey. Shinn's parents were probably fine, just super dead.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://mangadex.org/chapter/39ddb4e9-da33-4c5e-b01f-196243db1f49/1

The third chapter of Gundam Pulitzer is out, it's about Job John, and.... :smith:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

The third chapter of Gundam Pulitzer is out, it's about Job John, and.... :smith:

hey at least he lived this long, that's more than a lot of the crew can say

also that's a p. good Kai face

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

SEED has a bunch of terrible parents. Kira's adoptive parents seem okay but his bio-dad is a nightmare. Cagali's adopted dad is okay. Lol Patrick Zala is terrible. Mwu's dad wanted to clone himself and mostly ignored him but he's mostly a plot device. Durandal and Talia definietly were Rey's parents but there's A LOT going on there to unpack, like Durandal making sure Rey and Rau were regularly meeting up and Talia having her own kid but choosing to die with Durandal and Rey. Shinn's parents were probably fine, just super dead.

Mwu's dad was a weird insane racist rear end in a top hat who funded horrible experiments so he could get his clonebaby. He's probably one of the worst people in the setting which is a bit part of what drives Rau's batshit insanity.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yup, that sure is job john.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Flay’s dad sounded like he was ok other then the dying thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Flay’s dad sounded like he was ok other then the dying thing.

Dude was a Blue Cosmos member so that means he was somewhere between modern day Republican and the literal embodiment of evil.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

that's job john

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Waffleman_ posted:

Look, it's Job John.

I'm loving this manga though. Is it coming out weekly or is there a backlog being scanslated now?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I believe there's four chapters already out, I'm not sure of the release schedule proper.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A weird thing there is that an earlier source (More About the Universal Century) claimed one of the test pilots survived. Don't know if anyone cares enough to try to reconcile things. Just an interesting little gap.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Actually apparently this started back in August 2021, so this is sort of a back series translation

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

tsob posted:

One of the themes in Hathaway's Flash is that Hathaway could have walked away from a life of violence, even in pursuit of ultimately good things, and because he didn't, he died without ever achieving anything or gaining any personal happiness. He could have had some happiness with Gigi if he'd just turned away from those things. He didn't though, and it didn't turn out well for him. Which...I'm not sure how good a theme that is to push, really.

To be fair, the ultimate point of Hathaway's Flash kind of suffers due to it being a novel and outside of canon - he doesn't actually die without achieving anything, it's just that the only official UC Gundam after that point to date is two soft reboots and since HF was not canon they ignored the consequences of it's events

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Seemlar posted:

To be fair, the ultimate point of Hathaway's Flash kind of suffers due to it being a novel and outside of canon - he doesn't actually die without achieving anything, it's just that the only official UC Gundam after that point to date is two soft reboots and since HF was not canon they ignored the consequences of it's events

And in the novel, he did accomplish something, inspiring new Maftys to be produced anew from the ground, ready to fight against the Federation's tyranny.

We'll see how things end in the movies, but the novel, at least, isn't all about how Hathaway just giving up and ignoring things would have been better for everyone.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/chiffles_/status/1523159697263575040?t=WOnSnX3HVM9_AQ1pC8JYJg&s=19

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ImpAtom posted:

Dude was a Blue Cosmos member so that means he was somewhere between modern day Republican and the literal embodiment of evil.

Which does not make necessarily a bad dad to his daughter. Just that he was probably a piece of poo poo.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

91 percent male audience according the the 2019 Gundam survey.

No.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

91 percent male audience according the the 2019 Gundam survey.

No.

But also yes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Absolutely not

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
any excuse to post this again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1m3tEj2JzI

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

Which does not make necessarily a bad dad to his daughter. Just that he was probably a piece of poo poo.

I would rate bringing your daughter up to have hair trigger racist responses to stress and trauma probably counts as being a terrible father.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chiasaur11 posted:

And in the novel, he did accomplish something, inspiring new Maftys to be produced anew from the ground, ready to fight against the Federation's tyranny.

We'll see how things end in the movies, but the novel, at least, isn't all about how Hathaway just giving up and ignoring things would have been better for everyone.

And it all ties in to some of the more fundamental themes of Gundam. War is dehumanizing and destroys everyone who participates in it, no one really gets any kind of happy ending for themselves out of it.

That doesn't mean there aren't valid reasons to fight though. Hathaway not becoming Mafty means he lives a life that is much longer, happier and more comfortable but it also allows countless others to continue to be exploited and abused. Hathaway's Flash is about him sacrificing his life for the sake of a cause he values above it, and the narrative is definitely more on his side than not.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Refreshing my memory on HF and man I forgot how brutal that finale is, where the crux of the final act is trying to stop Bright from learning who Mafty is and having to watch his own son die, succeeding, then failing in an arguably even worse way the very next day

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Still watching 00. Up to episode 9, and it's definitely... a show. With Gundams.

It's not like SEED or AGE where I think it's actively bad, but it does feel very unfocused. The show has a bunch of politics and vague scenarios and a massive cast and big plans from everyone talking about the tactical forecasts, but most of it doesn't really matter. I mean, I'd be interested in a show all about how society is reshaped by having an unstoppable force attack any attempt at large scale war. Similarly, seeing a more mundane military try to slowly work through how to stop super robots is a cool hook.

But it doesn't really pick something as its main theme, at least in the first ten episodes, and so it just feels like a bunch of things happening rather than a plot. We also have the Gundams being threatened by things that really don't do much to them, kind of like when Superman has to duck a gun about to be thrown at his head. It's attempting to create tension where it doesn't really work. If the show was trying to show some of these early fights from the prospective of the superpowers, then the Gundams being so dominant would increase the tension. We'd wonder how Graham could even get out alive, and cheer when he managed to get a hit. From the Gundam Meister prospective, though, it's watching the side with almost every advantage, often including the initiative, make continual unforced errors until there's a tiny bit of tension before pulling out another new ability to get an unearned win.

Worse, it doesn't really feel like anyone is getting closer to their goals. Celestial Being's vague idea of stopping war hasn't gotten more concrete, the Gundams are no closer to being defeated... it feels pretty wheel spinning.

I've seen a few people prefer season 2 to season 1. Given my feelings about the movie (boredom) I doubt that's going to be the case, but I do kind of wonder.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I will say I was in a similar position to you, and was won over overtime. Season one does spend a fair amount on scene setting and overviews, to the point where it almost feels like 'AU political tourism', but once it drills into specific conflicts it improves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I will say I was in a similar position to you, and was won over overtime. Season one does spend a fair amount on scene setting and overviews, to the point where it almost feels like 'AU political tourism', but once it drills into specific conflicts it improves.

Thanks.

I've been in that position before (it took me an embarrassing amount of time to properly warm to Gunbuster) and hearing "I wasn't huge on it, but it grew on me" is often encouraging.