Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Annointed posted:

Is there a faster way to find a gilded clover? Multiple runs and no luck.
Boost your luck (obvs) and I don't know about anyone else but I didn't have any luck finding them in the first level but got a bunch in the library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I got several in library and vertical library, even without pumping luck.
Just don't use the damned cats.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
The new guy plus the arcana that constantly shifts area size is pretty hilarious.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Could be bigger imo.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

GigaPeon posted:

The new guy plus the arcana that constantly shifts area size is pretty hilarious.

Yeah, I didn't think I could find a character I liked more than Pugnala, but having a Soul Eater that covers almost the entire screen is just magical.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

tbf I think Crimsonland (around since at least 2002 that I know of) is the first iteration of this gameplay style, or arguably Smash TV or whatever came before that

the real innovation in VS was removing aiming to make it more accessible while still being fun and challenging

plus just a kickass aesthetic overall

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

I hope the new engine makes an iOS port possible. I would absolutely buy it.

I can confirm that the best feature of my new Steam Deck is portable Vampire Survivors.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Tempora Mutantur posted:

tbf I think Crimsonland (around since at least 2002 that I know of) is the first iteration of this gameplay style, or arguably Smash TV or whatever came before that

the real innovation in VS was removing aiming to make it more accessible while still being fun and challenging

I also appreciate the "Balance? LMAO" development attitude

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just got this yesterday and already have a few hours in.

I've got 6;characters and the second level unlocked so far. 5 upgrades. Feels like earning gold is hard, and I've gotten better at advancing but it seems the werewolves and ghosts around the 19 min mark of the first stage get me every time. I just never have the directional DPS to punch a hole out of the eventual encirclement. Managed to get one run with the evolved rune.

I feel like the tiled world should definitely have some secret locations if you know how to look, but I haven't had the luxury of not having to constantly double back to collect XP to level to not die, so I haven't really made it far the few times I've tried to go exploring

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Tempora Mutantur posted:

The no aiming is straight from Magic Survival, what makes VS VS is the gems. Having to go chasing your XP adds so much.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

njsykora posted:

Could be bigger imo.

You’re right. I was in hurry mode. I could have grabbed the crown for more levels and been more careful of when I grabbed the screenshot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

I also appreciate the "Balance? LMAO" development attitude

Yeah to be honest this is what makes it fun to pick up and play to me. It's absurdly broken but it revels in that and it makes getting ridiculous builds fun. A lot of games fall into the trap of having fun synergies and then nerfing everything into the ground or hyper-focusing on Hardcore gameplay that it makes the actual main game less fun to play. VS is just like "sure you can have a billion daggers and lasers and pew pew and we'll toss in harder stuff for people who want it but even then you just get more pew pew."

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Splicer posted:

Boost your luck (obvs) and I don't know about anyone else but I didn't have any luck finding them in the first level but got a bunch in the library.

I finally got one the last two minutes of my run. The Dopamine hit was comparable to seeing people winning the daily lottery.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I've been playing this off and on for a bit, having a great time. I was able to get to 30 minutes in the library pretty easily but the mad forest was eluding me. I kept getting to nine minutes, 11 minutes, 14 minutes and then a big wave of ghosts or bats would happen and push baddies into me and then I'm instadead. Today I was focusing on getting the coffin and finally got a decent build that allowed me to just walk through everything. I killed the things, opened the coffin and then thought "ok, time to start leveling, get my evolutions and get ready to beat this thing, it's gonna get nuts soon." And as I was looking at the edge of the screen at all the experience gems and then suddenly I was just dead. I wondered what the hell just happened, I was doing so well, then I looked up at it said 30:02 on the timer and didn't even realize I had beat the level. But then I had two tiragisus, so I had to revive twice before i could finish lol.

I've been seeing a lot of people say that garlic is trash tier, but I love it because it allows me to just walk through baddies. What are other people using to be able to walk through mobs? Without garlic, it eventually gets to the point where mobs are swarming me and then I'm just dead.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

M_Gargantua posted:

Just got this yesterday and already have a few hours in.

I've got 6;characters and the second level unlocked so far. 5 upgrades. Feels like earning gold is hard, and I've gotten better at advancing but it seems the werewolves and ghosts around the 19 min mark of the first stage get me every time. I just never have the directional DPS to punch a hole out of the eventual encirclement. Managed to get one run with the evolved rune.

I feel like the tiled world should definitely have some secret locations if you know how to look, but I haven't had the luxury of not having to constantly double back to collect XP to level to not die, so I haven't really made it far the few times I've tried to go exploring

Honestly the 2nd level is way easier than the 1st level, which also makes it easier to earn gold because you'll get all your upgrades and start getting bonus gold left and right.

And you're kind of right; each level does have some powerups you can grab that will exceed the 6 powerup limit. They're easy to find on the 2nd stage, but the other stages really benefit from the map you can find later on.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Tempora Mutantur posted:

there's a game from about 2016 or something that had your character go through planes of existence while replacing your tome, spell, and organs none of which required aiming.

I have it installed on my PC now. I'll check it tomorrow

edit: just opened steam android app. It was called Deathstate and it came out in 2015. It's more bullet hell, but the amount of enemies is not insignificant and the bosses are more than damage sponges.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 10, 2022

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I've been seeing a lot of people say that garlic is trash tier

they are simply incorrect

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Cojawfee posted:

I've been seeing a lot of people say that garlic is trash tier, but I love it because it allows me to just walk through baddies. What are other people using to be able to walk through mobs? Without garlic, it eventually gets to the point where mobs are swarming me and then I'm just dead.

If you want to be a lawnmower, the book is a great choice, although you'll need to pump levels in it quickly if it's your primary damage source early on
the knife will basically clear a path in front of you
song of mana will clear a path above and below
santa water is great, but will not really make you a lawnmower

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Breadallelogram posted:

they are extremely correct

:hmmyes:

my garlic alternative is basically pick only the weapons or passives I want and level them (always taking a new one instead of a level if I can) because just having a bunch of weapons + focusing one up as much as possible is way stronger

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 10, 2022

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Breadallelogram posted:

they are simply incorrect

I'm glad someone else agrees with me. I watched a streamer say that he likes garlic, but everyone kept saying it sucked. And then I watched another streamer buy the game and start it up, and everyone kept saying that garlic sucked. But getting it as the first upgrade really helps me get XP and level up fast.

Sockser posted:

If you want to be a lawnmower, the book is a great choice, although you'll need to pump levels in it quickly if it's your primary damage source early on
the knife will basically clear a path in front of you
song of mana will clear a path above and below
santa water is great, but will not really make you a lawnmower

I don't have song of mana yet, so I'll have to unlock whatever character has that. I really like the bibles, but they don't really help until you get a few levels in and the game refuses to give me bibles very often so it's often stuck at level 2 or 3 until I'm 10-15 minutes in. Most of my runs end simply due to getting trash options when leveling up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Garlic is great when you don't have hyper maps and curse going on. It falls off really hard when you do other than pretty specific circumstances.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Garlic works really with other weapons that hit nearby (book, whip, evolved water) because it also enhances knockback, so you can create a killing zone that also prevents any enemy from getting within ten feet of you. Makes it easier to move around and grab crystals towards the end of a round.

It's also just convenient early on, allowing you to ram right into enemies and get lots of XP fast. Or as a hard counter to the bat swarms in the fields!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Garlic is great early on and Soul Eater is pretty good, but everything in between those can be a slog.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm glad someone else agrees with me. I watched a streamer say that he likes garlic, but everyone kept saying it sucked. And then I watched another streamer buy the game and start it up, and everyone kept saying that garlic sucked. But getting it as the first upgrade really helps me get XP and level up fast.

I don't think it's necessarily a "trap pick" or bad but while it's extremely good at the start of a run, it's damage doesn't scale enough to keep up with enemies late-game. It helps you get a lot of XP early on, which is a very good thing and lets you snowball and build up other weapons faster, but then you're stuck with Garlic in one of your slots late-game when a different weapon could be more useful. Also it has a pretty good evolved version, but that requires taking a very situationally useful passive skill in one of your slots, while weapons like magic wand or lightning ring evolve from picking up passives that you're basically always happy to have. It doesn't suck , but it's very easy to overvalue it as a new player.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

goferchan posted:

I don't think it's necessarily a "trap pick" or bad but while it's extremely good at the start of a run, it's damage doesn't scale enough to keep up with enemies late-game. It helps you get a lot of XP early on, which is a very good thing and lets you snowball and build up other weapons faster, but then you're stuck with Garlic in one of your slots late-game when a different weapon could be more useful. Also it has a pretty good evolved version, but that requires taking a very situationally useful passive skill in one of your slots, while weapons like magic wand or lightning ring evolve from picking up passives that you're basically always happy to have. It doesn't suck , but it's very easy to overvalue it as a new player.

To be fair though, a lot of weapons now require you to take questionably useful passives in order to evolve them. So unless you really want to play every game using the same small set of weapons and passives that's really not much of a mark against garlic now.

The damage scaling is definitely a fair point, though I do tend to find garlic much more useful when you don't have a lot of the powerups unlocked and getting out of the early game is more challenging. It also helps if you really want to play a character with low speed like Exdash since you can't weave through the enemies as well.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Nemo2342 posted:

To be fair though, a lot of weapons now require you to take questionably useful passives in order to evolve them. So unless you really want to play every game using the same small set of weapons and passives that's really not much of a mark against garlic now.

The damage scaling is definitely a fair point, though I do tend to find garlic much more useful when you don't have a lot of the powerups unlocked and getting out of the early game is more challenging. It also helps if you really want to play a character with low speed like Exdash since you can't weave through the enemies as well.

garlic is good

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

there's a game from about 2016 or something that had your character go through planes of existence while replacing your tome, spell, and organs none of which required aiming.

I have it installed on my PC now. I'll check it tomorrow

edit: just opened steam android app. It was called Deathstate and it came out in 2015. It's more bullet hell, but the amount of enemies is not insignificant and the bosses are more than damage sponges.

Deathstate really should be acknowledged as the progenitor of the survivors-like. The main gameplay issue/difference is that there's no permanent AOE or Crowd Control slot so you're always being chased and pressured unlike MS or VS.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

had a pretty good run. rough start, but lmao once the second arcana kicked in
rolling ball of explosive death, face tanking and exploding my way through the skeles, hunting for my next money bag to keep the gold fever goin
think next time going to bring attractorb + money mask, see if I can't rack up even more money i can't spend :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Begemot posted:

Garlic works really with other weapons that hit nearby (book, whip, evolved water) because it also enhances knockback, so you can create a killing zone that also prevents any enemy from getting within ten feet of you. Makes it easier to move around and grab crystals towards the end of a round.

It's also just convenient early on, allowing you to ram right into enemies and get lots of XP fast. Or as a hard counter to the bat swarms in the fields!
It also works great with the magic bolts or the unevolved cross.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I've found there are no true trash tier weapons because as you go through the game and buy the power-ups it actually becomes nearly impossible to die. I tried to kill myself last night by making what I figured would be the worst possible build - I went with boomerang, whip, fire wand, cats, runetracer, and the bird. Seemed to me that particular grouping of weapons left lots of weaknesses with no truly good synergies. (Some might say "but cats are good" but once you evolve them into those eyeballs they're not nearly as strong.) I did commit to evolving all 6 because the game seems balanced around the assumption you'll evolve at least a few, and I will say it was the toughest the game had been in a while. But in the end, once they were all evolved, I was literally running into large groups of mobs and somehow taking no damage.

So now my new challenge is figuring out which 6 evolved weapons are least likely to result in a win.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pentagram is the only really crap weapon imo

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pentagram has no downside once you've levelled your base luck, you only need 3-5 levels in it before it stops deleting gems completely, and it's one of the best utility evolutions in the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

sebmojo posted:

Pentagram is the only really crap weapon imo

njsykora posted:

Pentagram has no downside once you've levelled your base luck, you only need 3-5 levels in it before it stops deleting gems completely, and it's one of the best utility evolutions in the game.

Pentagram is fine in builds specifically for Pentagram. Pentagram is awful when you're building say... a complete projectile build, and rather than filling that final weapon slot and trinket slot with helpful, useful items, you shove Crown/Penta in there and screw yourself over.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WELL THEN

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Like if your build is specifically based around getting you levels, the Gorgeous Moon is really good with a bunch of cooldown reduction. But that's a very specific scenario. It's like how Laurel and Clock Lancet are really good for surviving past the 30 minute mark... but uh... not otherwise?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Pentagram is good if you're building greedy as well. Like both unity weapons at the same time level of greedy where you need a bunch of levels just to get the all the weapons and passives you need.

Eels
Jul 28, 2003

Shootenanny
Yeah people who don't like garlic focus on the low DPS and ignore the CC. If I get garlic and whip in a run I'm guaranteed to make it to 30 minutes every time, and I run full curse + hyper.

In fact Garlic + Whip + Santa water and their evolution items, plus whatever other DPS you like is basically easy cheat mode. I usually run Axe and Lightening too. 6th weapon is usually whatever default is slotted.

Eels fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 10, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I think what kills me more in VS is messing up my progression rather than the individual weapons. You need to maintain a minimum amount of damage output and damage prevention/mitigation or else you'll die before 15 minutes during one of the swarms. So like:

Scruffpuff posted:

boomerang, whip, fire wand, cats, runetracer, and the bird.
is a perfectly good build. Whip and unevolved Boomerang are a really good keepaway combo as your damage prevention, while runetracer and fire wand dish out the damage. But if you focus too much on whip you won't be putting out enough damage to level or if you evolve boomerang too soon you'll lose your major keepaway before whip evolves to compensate, and on the other side if you focus too hard on runetracer/fire wand you're going to get swarmed because they give you no area control.

That's why garlic is either great or awful depending on how you play; garlic acts as a multiplier on your other keepaway(s), which is great, but e.g. if you're going garlic + magic wand and fall behind on boosting magic wand it's all going to collapse very, very quickly.

Of course all of this becomes moot after minute 20 because by then you're either dead or immortal.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So what is the secret for high levels? I see people talking about hitting 200+ as I struggle to hit 100 at the 30 min mark. I assume I am missing some simple choose this over this or do this instead of this and my exp will skyrocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

badjohny posted:

So what is the secret for high levels? I see people talking about hitting 200+ as I struggle to hit 100 at the 30 min mark. I assume I am missing some simple choose this over this or do this instead of this and my exp will skyrocket.

all curse in power ups and all curse in the run. it's something.