Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

withak posted:

Then you will have to buy an endoscope with a shorter focal length to troubleshoot the gun after retrieving it from the disposal.

Eh, just use a pencil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Can anyone recommend a good electric pressure washer? I bought this thing off Amazon and it was awful. Way lower pressure than advertised and the hose was springing leaks after only a couple uses.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Spaseman posted:

Can anyone recommend a good electric pressure washer? I bought this thing off Amazon and it was awful. Way lower pressure than advertised and the hose was springing leaks after only a couple uses.

When my crappy SunJoe pressure washer dies or I need it for more than a small area, I'm going to be upgrading to this guy https://www.greenworkstools.com/pro-3000-psi-brushless-pressure-washer-gpw3000

From reading reviews it's the only electric pressure washer that holds a candle to gas models.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

Do Makita and Milwaukee saws typically go on sale for Memorial/Father's Day?

WHOOOOOOLE lotta Milwaukee poo poo is on sale at Home Depot today (also Ryobi) if anyone is interested

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

It always makes me salty that the automotive milwaukee tools never go on sale, or when it does it's always the non-fuel. Especially here in Canada. I just want a couple more ratchets and wrenches and maybe a free battery with them :aaa:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Someone talk me into or out of the Combo Compact Router/Random Orbit Sander for $80. I don't have any router now, and it seems like even if/when I buy a full-size plug-in router, it could still be useful to have a handheld trim router. And I don't have any powered sanders, though I would eventually do some woodwork that will surely require sanding, so that seems like a good thing to have. Considering the router is $80 and the sander is $60 by themselves, this seems like a hell of a deal. Note this is a brand new model of orbital sander that's only been out for a month or two.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Using a trim router for dados kinda sucks. 1/4” bit at 1/2” deep is about what I can remove at a reasonable speed with my Dewalt. Multiple pass are just more opportunities for me to screw up. That said it’s nice to quickly round off edges.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
That seems like a good deal so long as you've got reasonable expectations for a trim router.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Didn't we just have leaf blower chat in here? I am not tied to any of the major brands, but I like the look of this Ryobi/Milwaukee sale and could use a leaf blower for the smallish back yard. Looking at the Ryobi that comes with 2 batteries and is 730CFM but I don't really know anything about them. Just tired of constantly sweeping dust and poo poo off the back patio.

Edit* I could also go corded, but I really do love cordless and can afford the convenience.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 9, 2022

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

I have two Dewalt blowers a 450 CFM blower and a 600CFM blower. 450 is useless for everything except blowing off the deck and driveway. The 600 is usable in grass but I can still take leaf’s faster with a 30” rake.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

El Jebus posted:

Didn't we just have leaf blower chat in here? I am not tied to any of the major brands, but I like the look of this Ryobi/Milwaukee sale and could use a leaf blower for the smallish back yard. Looking at the Ryobi that comes with 2 batteries and is 730CFM but I don't really know anything about them. Just tired of constantly sweeping dust and poo poo off the back patio.

Edit* I could also go corded, but I really do love cordless and can afford the convenience.

FWIW, I have a Ryobi 18v blower that's spec'd at something like 90mph/200cfm and it blows dirt and leaves off my deck just fine if it's not really wet. Even then it will mostly do the job, but the leaves sometimes stick if they've been through a freeze cycle and require a little shoe help. Blowers like the 40v one you mentioned have specs similar to gas backpack blowers and should be able to do just about any job you could ask of a blower I would think.

As with all battery tools, you're buying into a system so if you have any thoughts of buying more tools down the line be aware of that. Ryobi's 40v line is pretty well rounded as far as yard tools go, but I haven't compared them too much with the competition.

And battery blower is absolutely the way to go. I bought a corded blower when I moved into this house and I almost never used it. I pull the Ryobi out at least once a week to blow something off.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

BeastOfExmoor posted:

FWIW, I have a Ryobi 18v blower that's spec'd at something like 90mph/200cfm and it blows dirt and leaves off my deck just fine if it's not really wet. Even then it will mostly do the job, but the leaves sometimes stick if they've been through a freeze cycle and require a little shoe help. Blowers like the 40v one you mentioned have specs similar to gas backpack blowers and should be able to do just about any job you could ask of a blower I would think.

As with all battery tools, you're buying into a system so if you have any thoughts of buying more tools down the line be aware of that. Ryobi's 40v line is pretty well rounded as far as yard tools go, but I haven't compared them too much with the competition.

And battery blower is absolutely the way to go. I bought a corded blower when I moved into this house and I almost never used it. I pull the Ryobi out at least once a week to blow something off.

I'm leaning towards more powerful than less just for the versatility. I'll have to go into the store and touch some and see what I like.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
If you're going Ryobi, their 40v seems like the way to go for yard tools. I have the highest power 18v blower and it struggles with anything other than optimal dry leaves and pine needles. It's great when it's dry but yeah, underpowered if your leaves are damp. I can usually rake faster. I use it up on my roof to remove pine needles, sticks, and leaves.

I originally went 18v because that's what I already had, but having a separate yard tool battery system isn't the worst since those need more power. That said, if you have a small yard that doesn't need a lot of work, 18v is great.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

That brushless recip saw is a got damned beast. It eats batteries but also chews through everything. I paid 179 for it and it was worth every penny.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

Verman posted:

If you're going Ryobi, their 40v seems like the way to go for yard tools. I have the highest power 18v blower and it struggles with anything other than optimal dry leaves and pine needles. It's great when it's dry but yeah, underpowered if your leaves are damp. I can usually rake faster. I use it up on my roof to remove pine needles, sticks, and leaves.

I originally went 18v because that's what I already had, but having a separate yard tool battery system isn't the worst since those need more power. That said, if you have a small yard that doesn't need a lot of work, 18v is great.

their 40v does pretty well, but do keep in mind there's a VERY good reason that a lot of companies are doing 80V for their yard tool lineups. likewise to 18/20V systems if you've got a smaller yard you'll probably be fine, Otherwise be prepared to have a couple of spare batteries charged for whenever you're doing work. For the price though they're pretty solid.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Oh 100%. Ryobi choosing 40 for yard tools seemed kind of low given others were going up to 80.

Then again, batteries are going to get really pricey the higher you go.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have the ryobi 40v brushless "quiet" model blower and its great. Got a little turbo button on there for really stuck on stuff and without using that much battery life seems fine. It easily will blow off 100 ft of driveway and 20 ft of deck and stairs on probably half or so of charge on the mid size 40v battery that came with it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Is there such a thing as an inexpensive(-ish) benchtop jointer that doesn't suck rear end?

I'm trying to figure out if this Wen or this Shop Fox are any good.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

Is there such a thing as an inexpensive(-ish) benchtop jointer that doesn't suck rear end?

They're all pretty crappy. They all suffer from having a fixed outfeed table which makes setting the knives a very frustrating to impossible experience. If you do get them set up they have short beds which limit what you can properly joint. You are better off finding a used 6" floor model.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I. M. Gei posted:

The Rikon with a helical head is really nice for face jointing out of the box (I have it), but all benchtop jointers have garbage fences so be ready to do edges on a table saw or to refit the fence.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

How is a fence that doesn’t move garbage? Is it just that it isn’t big enough?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
I have the 8 inch version of the WEN and it's not completely useless but I wouldn't bother if you have the space for a floor unit. Mine actually came surprisingly well setup out of the box and does a pretty decent job face jointing boards but predictably they need to be fairly short, up to about 3' is decent, past 4' you are into territory where unless the board was already near perfect you're just going to waste wood and possibly make whatever is wrong worse.

The fence system is kind of garbage but it can get the edge straight enough, if not at 90 degrees, that you can then finish up on a tablesaw, though the same caveats exists regarding length.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Calidus posted:

How is a fence that doesn’t move garbage? Is it just that it isn’t big enough?

It does move. It's adjustable. I wish it wasn't.

I can get mine to 90 degrees for like one or two cuts and then it wobbles out. I'm honestly considering taking it off and trying to build a solid, immovable one instead.

I'd disagree with Elem7 a little, in that on mine I can reliably face joint 6' boards to an acceptable level on mine. Longer (I've done 8') if I have an outfeed stand--it doesn't have to be perfectly level with the bed, it's just for weight support while you hold the piece down to the bed and walk hand-over-hand to feed it.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sakara123 posted:

their 40v does pretty well, but do keep in mind there's a VERY good reason that a lot of companies are doing 80V for their yard tool lineups. likewise to 18/20V systems if you've got a smaller yard you'll probably be fine, Otherwise be prepared to have a couple of spare batteries charged for whenever you're doing work. For the price though they're pretty solid.

they could do 80v w just two 40v batteries, no?

also im a bigger fan of corded tools than most but i totally agree that cordless blower is so much better. you'll find yourself using it for all kinds of things you'd never bother with before

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

they could do 80v w just two 40v batteries, no?

The batteries would need to be built to handle the series connection, so the the internal wiring would need to be rated for 80 volts, I think.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
PSA: the M12 Fuel bandsaw is amazing.

Also now I am concerned that my gates are no longer considered security, more of a suggestion.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

deimos posted:

PSA: the M12 Fuel bandsaw is amazing.

Also now I am concerned that my gates are no longer considered security, more of a suggestion.

your house is only as secure as the biggest pane of glass anyway

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Danhenge posted:

The batteries would need to be built to handle the series connection, so the the internal wiring would need to be rated for 80 volts, I think.

nope, the batteries would each internally only see 40V at the terminals. voltage is a relative measurement between two points, and since the batteries are in plastic cases that don't need to be grounded, they are effectively floating voltage sources (you never need to measure the voltage of anything within the battery pack to some arbitrary ground reference point).

some devices use dual batteries to get around air transport regulations on battery capacity--you can have two separate battery packs for a device (or even two "separate" battery packs within the same physical battery case, in some cases) just to keep each battery under 100 watt-hours. its kinda dumb and the regulation as written doesnt achieve the intended effect (mitigating the risk of fire by limiting the size of the energy source), but that's one of the reasons you see that. any device with two li-ion battery packs will either run them in series at double voltage, or discharge them sequentially, but never in parallel. having them in series lets you get the same maximum power as having them in parallel would (if that were feasible, but it generally isnt for technical reasons) and with better efficiency--a higher voltage battery will lose less energy to resistive losses in the system than a lower voltage battery at the same power.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 10, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am starting to think that a compact drill driver may not be the best tool to use with a spade bit. I just tried using one in my Ryobi drill and it wobbled like a motherfucker. And despite it having a chuck for a 1/4" impact driver, it wobbles like a bitch in that too.

What is the best kind of drill for drilling with a hole spade bit?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I. M. Gei posted:

I am starting to think that a compact drill driver may not be the best tool to use with a spade bit. I just tried using one in my Ryobi drill and it wobbled like a motherfucker. And despite it having a chuck for a 1/4" impact driver, it wobbles like a bitch in that too.

What is the best kind of drill for drilling with a hole spade bit?

It depends what you're boring through but I've had the best luck with higher power drills that usually have a side handle. I've done a little bit with my brushless ryobi hammer drill (not in hammer mode, it's just a stronger drill due to having the brushless motor) but I've drilled some larger beams with an 8A corded Craftsman. I doubt the brand is as important as the power of the motor. Since spade bits are easy to have catch one stuff make sure it doesn't hurt your wrist if it catches and spins the drill. The side handle helps with that but bracing the drill so it won't twist your wrist much can also help.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

When I say the bit "wobbled" I mean that the shaft visibly moved from side to side any time I pulled the trigger, even when it wasn't actually drilling into anything. And yes it wobbled when I drilled with it too. It was unsettling.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Beginning a slow transition into Milwaukee predominantly 12v with 18v where I can't get a specific tool in 12v for home use. Were doing the underfloor insulation now we've had our timber floors polished so the first Milwaukee buy was the 12v crown stapler with a 3Ah battery and charger. Got it for a steal through marketplace, 250 AUD new (retail on the same gear would've been $425 AUD)

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

I. M. Gei posted:

When I say the bit "wobbled" I mean that the shaft visibly moved from side to side any time I pulled the trigger, even when it wasn't actually drilling into anything. And yes it wobbled when I drilled with it too. It was unsettling.
If it's wobbling in two separate drills, it sounds like a bent drill bit. Get a new one.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Check if the bit itself is bent. My spade bits, though nothing special, do not noticeably wobble. It doing the same in a 1/4” hex chuck should rule out it being misaligned in the chuck, but be careful of that too. I’d definitely try to figure out what’s going on before using them.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

I. M. Gei posted:

This was a spade with a 1/4" quick connect collet yeah? Not in a chuck?

They're all like that.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

McSpergin posted:

Beginning a slow transition into Milwaukee predominantly 12v with 18v where I can't get a specific tool in 12v for home use. Were doing the underfloor insulation now we've had our timber floors polished so the first Milwaukee buy was the 12v crown stapler with a 3Ah battery and charger. Got it for a steal through marketplace, 250 AUD new (retail on the same gear would've been $425 AUD)

I love my M12 stuff. It's stupid how powerful and well built the stuff is. Watch Home Depot for sales, I found some killer deals on there that helped me build out my set.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

wandler20 posted:

I love my M12 stuff. It's stupid how powerful and well built the stuff is. Watch Home Depot for sales, I found some killer deals on there that helped me build out my set.

They got a real deece sale on an M18 Fuel hammer drill with three batteries and a hard case that I really want but don't quite have enough scratch for.

I might have enough cash for just the drill with one free battery though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

anyone here ever try the ryobi 18v brad nailers or staplers?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

CommonShore posted:

anyone here ever try the ryobi 18v brad nailers or staplers?

I just got a brad nailer from direct tools outlet for cheap. Haven't used it on a project yet, but just based on messing around with it: it's heavy, it's kinda bulky, but it works well.

Most of what I want a nailer for is to hold stuff together while glue sets so I don't have to leave it in clamps for a long time. It's for quick & dirty jobs for shop projects, etc. Getting my little pancake compressor out, waiting a few minutes for it to pressurize, dialing in the pressure, and having to make sure I drain it after means that it's too much hassle for 90% of the times I wanna use brad nails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

more falafel please posted:

I just got a brad nailer from direct tools outlet for cheap. Haven't used it on a project yet, but just based on messing around with it: it's heavy, it's kinda bulky, but it works well.

Most of what I want a nailer for is to hold stuff together while glue sets so I don't have to leave it in clamps for a long time. It's for quick & dirty jobs for shop projects, etc. Getting my little pancake compressor out, waiting a few minutes for it to pressurize, dialing in the pressure, and having to make sure I drain it after means that it's too much hassle for 90% of the times I wanna use brad nails.

Gotcha. Pretty much what I expected and the exact same problem that I'm whining about. I'm procrastinating on dragging my compressor to the far end of the yard/lot to do one high crown staple project.