Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I know its small compared to everything else, but that ceiling fan is missing a blade. It would be so unbalanced and annoying to have running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

moist turtleneck posted:

just clicked last post to see if people have opinions on floor outlets near an indoor hot tub that's near the kitchen area

The icing on this WTF cake is that they aren't even proper floor outlets. The proper ones should be flush with the floor and have caps for when not in use. These are just wall outlets installed in the floor.

...Also they are not aligned with each other. The more I look the worse it gets.

As for residential indoor pools/hot tubs, I have never understood why you would want one anywhere except in a dedicated enclosure walled off from rest of the interior (and ventilation system) so your entire house doesn't smell like pool chemicals and get all clammy.

Now all I'm thinking about is that horrible giant house with the huge indoor pool and oriental rugs everywhere. I think it came up in this thread a couple years ago.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sirotan posted:

Honestly more worried about the humidity levels in that room than the floor outlets.

gotta love that wood ceiling in a room with a steamer.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Queen Victorian posted:

Now all I'm thinking about is that horrible giant house with the huge indoor pool and oriental rugs everywhere. I think it came up in this thread a couple years ago.

It's not quite the one, but a solid contender in that realm:

Cooking with the sweet smell of chlorine in the background, yeah buddy.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Pools are not supposed to smell like chlorine. The reason why they smell is because people are pissing in them (and sweating, but mostly piss).

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

moist turtleneck posted:

just clicked last post to see if people have opinions on floor outlets near an indoor hot tub that's near the kitchen area

This place gives off the vibe that pineapples spontaneously appear there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/PlanningShit/status/1524128888825303043?s=20&t=qrAgiATflyNxhP7Z1Uapkg

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Pools inside, you say?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/800-El-Granada-Blvd-El-Granada-CA-94018/2070471149_zpid/

Love the pool smell wafting up through the rest of the floors.

Also it's shaped like a fish, GET IT, it's WATER and it's shaped like a FISH. HO HO HO INCREDIBLE.

edit: to say nothing of the carpeted kitchen, the chandelier which makes me immediately expect to see it in a movie falling down and piercing the villain's chest at the end, and speaking of tubs in floors, would you like to be blearily standing at your bathroom counter, step backwards a foot and whoops you fell into the bathtub (which probably doesn't have water in it so you just cracked your head and died in your $12 million 1980s mansion) well then hooboy have I got a house for you buddy

VVVV to be fair, that carpet looks like indoor/outdoor so maybe .....slightly better than actual carpet. Slightly.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 10, 2022

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I like my pools to be right next to carpeted areas.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Cross-quoted from CSPAM's Trump thread

Squinky v2.0 posted:

someone bought this house for list price 18 months ago lol

also looking at the pics from that sale it seems like this thing was just straight up built on the beach. not waterfront, I mean the foundation is sitting 100% on sand, and the house is just barely past the high tide line on a calm day. there are pics where folks with beach blanket/umbrella setups are further back than the house.

changes in global weather patterns & tides did not do this house any favors, but that thing was a terrible idea from the day it was built and it’s insane to me that the town ever allowed it

look at this nonsense, just straight up in the middle of a public beach

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Cat Hatter posted:

Is that a bathtub full of swamp-water half buried in the yard?

It's a bathtub repurposed as a livestock watering trough. Farmer stuff. My grandad did that, too, but with an old freestanding tub.

This is super-mild for this thread, but it just ticks me off:

This is the house across the street from me. Until a few days ago, it was a nice early-60s red brick with white trim.

(Pic from this past winter of the snow we got here in Dallas/Fort Worth. Thankfully not last year's Snowpacolypse.)

There wasn't even a need for that - there was little to no brick damage. The rest of the neighborhood has all kinds of cracking from foundations settling due to the high clay content completely loving slab foundations, but this house is pier and bean and had been properly adjusted over the years, as far as I could tell. The little old lady who had lived the 20+ years I've lived her finally had to go into assisted care, and the flippers got ahold of the house.
There are a fair number of painted brick houses in the neighborhood due to damage, but this was just unnecessary. At least they went with a dark blue for the trim...

I hate walking our of the garage and seeing... that.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Darchangel posted:

It's a bathtub repurposed as a livestock watering trough. Farmer stuff. My grandad did that, too, but with an old freestanding tub.

This is super-mild for this thread, but it just ticks me off:

This is the house across the street from me. Until a few days ago, it was a nice early-60s red brick with white trim.

(Pic from this past winter of the snow we got here in Dallas/Fort Worth. Thankfully not last year's Snowpacolypse.)

There wasn't even a need for that - there was little to no brick damage. The rest of the neighborhood has all kinds of cracking from foundations settling due to the high clay content completely loving slab foundations, but this house is pier and bean and had been properly adjusted over the years, as far as I could tell. The little old lady who had lived the 20+ years I've lived her finally had to go into assisted care, and the flippers got ahold of the house.
There are a fair number of painted brick houses in the neighborhood due to damage, but this was just unnecessary. At least they went with a dark blue for the trim...

I hate walking our of the garage and seeing... that.

There's a house near me they painted the brick and it is poor coverage and that annoys me more than painting it. It needed another coat or two of paint, so it's just splotchy white now.

My neighbors are going to paint their accent brick black and it's the first time I agree with it, their brick color is ugly. I have a hard time visualizing the paint scheme for the other elements to accent it. Of course in 20 years I'm sure I'll come around and miss it.

It seems OK in this photo, in person I don't like how orange it is. I prefer deeper reds or lighter sands. I'm not particularly sentimental about brick overall.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Darchangel posted:

There wasn't even a need for that - there was little to no brick damage. The rest of the neighborhood has all kinds of cracking from foundations settling due to the high clay content completely loving slab foundations, but this house is pier and bean and had been properly adjusted over the years, as far as I could tell.

I;m thinkin about thos piers and beans

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

SyNack Sassimov posted:

I;m thinkin about thos piers and beans

A big ol’ bowl of them. :P
You know what? I’m leaving that typo.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Vim Fuego posted:

I mean, there's a discussion to be had about how close we should be building to shorelines of course, but for what it's worth, a lot of the NC barrier islands are vanishing at an accelerated rate every year, so that house probably wasn't built on the beach per se. On North Topsail there is a group of condos that are basically in the ocean at high tide - There used to be a road between them and the beach.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
yeah but

quote:

someone bought this house for list price 18 months ago lol

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
They can just sell that real estate.

:smug:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hear that Aquaman is in the market.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vim Fuego posted:

The outer banks are an unmanaged shoreline. This has been and will continue to happen forever. Global warming is not helping at all of course, but this has always gone on there. Going up the beach roads on most of the islands you'll find pockets of houses on both sides, then only on one side where they've been falling into the ocean. And yeas ago you'd find pockets of new houses on the beach side where the land owners through the shoreline shifted back out enough to try again.

But lol at the bagholder there who didn't know that 18 months ago.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Slugworth posted:

I mean, there's a discussion to be had about how close we should be building to shorelines of course, but for what it's worth, a lot of the NC barrier islands are vanishing at an accelerated rate every year, so that house probably wasn't built on the beach per se. On North Topsail there is a group of condos that are basically in the ocean at high tide - There used to be a road between them and the beach.

I've been renting the same vacation house in coastal South Carolina for the last ten years. Before that, we rented a state-park cabin on Hunting Island every year since 1990. There were 24-state cabins, and at least a dozen private homes. They are all gone now, along with about a third of Hunting Island State Park.

A brief history of Little Blue, a private cabin on Hunting Island. This cabin used to sit five feet above grade, on the land side of the Cabin Road, about three hundred yards from the beach. The road ran along the right half of this photo, and is now underwater, along with the former beach-front homes that were off-screen to the right.

These two below were across the road. Little Blue is not visible, but was in the trees off-screen left.

Little Blue in the background:

And a year later:

This cabin was finally pulled down by the Corps of Engineers in 2021, when it was 100-yards out to sea & continued to be an attractive nuisance.

Harbor Island is a gated community and, from a topographical aspect, is the north third of Hunting Island, separated by Johnson Creek. This is how the beach has eroded since 2010:

Those boardwalks were built over dunes, since eroded:

These houses are just north of the house I rent, which (used to be) a block back from the beach. It’s now nearly beach-front.

Heroic measures were taken:

The white paint on the posts ends where there used to be a concrete slab.

But there is no denying the sea

All of these houses are condemned now. The house I rent:

...probably won't survive another hurricane.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 11, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Fun game.

1. Look at all the photos in this listing.
2. Try to guess the floor plan.
3. Look at the actual floor plan.

https://m.realestate.com.au/property-house-vic-brunswick-137746818

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Senor Tron posted:

Fun game.

:psyduck: That seems like too few bathrooms for the number of bedrooms, even excluding the monastery/ dorms/ slave compound in the rear.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Senor Tron posted:

Fun game.

Maybe it used to be stables they converted to cult housing?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/24265-Ocean-Drive,-Rodanthe,-N.C_rb/2076059242_zpid/

The zillow listing for that house shows quite a few neighbor houses, some even closer to the ocean lol

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The ocean hungers for human vanity, will you feed it next?

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Oh boy, I can't WAIT to cook some chicken adobo in that kitchen with huge doors and stink of the whole house, irritating my room mates! What a strange place. It looks like a bed and breakfast to me.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Don't ever cook in an open concept kitchen then either.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
That's giving me Shining vibes for some reason, even though that room was red with white accents.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Are perpetual motion devices crappy constuction?

https://twitter.com/BlockchainSachs/status/1524499445190205440

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Sirotan posted:

Honestly more worried about the humidity levels in that room than the floor outlets.

it's cool, you can plug in a dehumidifier.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Are perpetual motion devices crappy constuction?

The funny thing is that there are power generators that look kind of like that. But they exploit a thermal gradient instead of a pressure gradient. Basically build a big, hollow tower; warm air enters at the bottom and rises to the top, spinning turbines as it goes. It's not as good as a wind turbine if you have access to reliable winds, but you can build it anywhere that the ground is significantly warmer than the air hundreds of feet up.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Don't ever cook in an open concept kitchen then either.

I mean.....yeah. They are an awful idea. And some of them are made even worse in execution with stoves that are on island facing the living room area with lovely recirculating hoods. Nobody should cook in those. That's a reheating food kitchen.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

I read the first part and thought he was going to use the propellers to take power from an ocean current. Then got to the part where he seems to think if you put one end of a hose deep underwater it'll just start shooting out the other end.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
An idea which can be easily disproved by sticking a drinking straw in a glass is not one which is going to get many backers.

I hope.

He should have said it'll power blockchain.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

mattfl posted:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/24265-Ocean-Drive,-Rodanthe,-N.C_rb/2076059242_zpid/

The zillow listing for that house shows quite a few neighbor houses, some even closer to the ocean lol
I don't have the link on hand but apparently when it was built in 1980 it was like, two streets and a chunk of greenery away from the ocean.

I do have this link, though: https://twitter.com/ryanbeckwith/status/1524388909798547457

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zereth posted:

I don't have the link on hand but apparently when it was built in 1980 it was like, two streets and a chunk of greenery away from the ocean.

Historicalaerials.com has a 1983 photo.

The distance between the back door and open sand was one hundred yards at that time.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Motronic posted:

I mean.....yeah. They are an awful idea. And some of them are made even worse in execution with stoves that are on island facing the living room area with lovely recirculating hoods. Nobody should cook in those. That's a reheating food kitchen.

My kitchen is under the back half of a vaulted ceiling over the whole living area. Microwave over the stove so the hood is essentially nonfunctional. More often then not, you can barely smell what you're cooking, but the vaulted ceiling redirects the smell so that the rest of the house can smell it just fine.

Real great when I'm trying to doctor a box of Kraft Mac & Cheese while my pregnant wife is texting me asking if a cat poo poo in the room or if I'm cooking :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cat Hatter posted:

I read the first part and thought he was going to use the propellers to take power from an ocean current. Then got to the part where he seems to think if you put one end of a hose deep underwater it'll just start shooting out the other end.

It sounds like what he wants is something like:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_thermal_energy_conversion

But idiotic and not working.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
There are a few houses on Dauphin Island in Alabama that are trying all they can to hold onto their beach.

Of course, it's not like these houses have been there forever. The two with the bulkheads were built in 2008, right before the housing crash:

And it's not like people didn't know that the beach was going to wash away, here's a shot from 2005 with a bunch of houses that were destroyed when Hurricane Katrina literally ripped a huge hole through the island. a short way down the beach.

Here it is in 2006, showing the huge hole cut through the island.

They patched the hole in the island with some riprap in 2010, and it's since built back up a good bit of sand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I’m in a hotel in OKC and this is the worst thing: