Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

IceG posted:

So we had 3 great days in the hospital with the baby but now he had a fever of 39 degrees so they are keeping him in observation for a week, putting him on antibiotics and checking his lumbar fluid?

My wife is in pieces about this as we can't hold him for the next 3 days then can't even see him for 4 days after that when we are discharged. The covid rules in Taiwan are insane. I am only just holding it together.

Anyone know how serious this is? They aren't putting him in icu so that's positive right? Not sure what I can say to my wife as she already fainted this morning from low blood pressure :(

We just went through something similar earlier this week. Our son who was two weeks old at the time had a 38.2 C temperature so we took him to the ER and they kept him for monitoring for 24 hours, even though his temp stayed right around 37 C once we were in the hospital. Checked his spinal/lumbar fluid too. We were told that they treat all fevers in babies that young as serious, 99.9% of the time the baby is fine (my wife thinks she just had him too bundled up) but you really want to catch that 0.1% of cases that are more serious and address them ASAP. I know it's really stressful but I'd put money on your family being OK. Hang in there!

Hadlock posted:

You should probably sanitize the gently caress out of everything the first six weeks, and then yeah it's a subjective sliding scale after that. Newborns have poo poo immune systems

This has been beaten into my head a lot this week, so I'll buy that :goleft: Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
When did first tri symptoms start in earnest for y'all? I'm almost 6 weeks and I had a random bout of nausea/vomiting about five days ago, and ever since then nothing. Well, I guess very very mild nausea -- mostly excess salivation -- that is easily controlled with some ginger supplements. I haven't really had food aversions since last week either. I just can't really believe I could be out of the woods already.

Also, not looking for medical advice but wondering if any of you have stories of taking meds you are NOT SUPPOSED TO TAKE during pregnancy. I have pretty bad anxiety and take Ativan every day, which I feel extremely conflicted about, weighing the potential harm to the pregnancy from the meds versus the potential harm to the pregnancy from untreated anxiety. I've gotta believe it's better for the pregnancy for me not to be an anxious miserable wreck all the time. But I just feel so guilty about it. My docs okayed it during my last pregnancy and I feel like I had fewer qualms about it then, but for some reason this time I'm just wracked with guilt.

I've also been taking metoprolol occasionally because I'm getting awful heart palpitations and what I think are PVCs and they're terribly uncomfortable. If they only lasted a minute I could deal with it but I literally cannot lie down without my heart just pounding nonstop. My doc okayed that one last time too and I think I just had to have an echocardiogram done in utero to check the baby's heart which was fine. But again I'm kinda freaking out. Again not looking for medical advice, just anecdotes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

C-Euro posted:

too. We were told that they treat all fevers in babies that young as serious, 99.9% of the time the baby is fine (my wife thinks she just had him too bundled up) but you really want to catch that 0.1% of cases that are more serious and address them ASAP.

Yep this standard of care is a big reason why infant mortality numbers have fallen off a cliff in developed countries. "What if we were just insanely aggressive about newborn disease?" is a pretty easy stance to take and really effective

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
You don’t have to wash breast pump parts after every use. If you rinse them and store them in the fridge, you only have to soap and water wash them a couple times a week. You also don’t have to warm milk if your kid will drink it cold. You ALSO don’t have to discard a bottle and its contents after one feed if it hasn’t been out too long. Just use common sense, and if you’re unsure, err on the side of caution.

IceG
Feb 7, 2006

Bigger than Hitler - Better than Christ

C-Euro posted:

We just went through something similar earlier this week. Our son who was two weeks old at the time had a 38.2 C temperature so we took him to the ER and they kept him for monitoring for 24 hours, even though his temp stayed right around 37 C once we were in the hospital. Checked his spinal/lumbar fluid too. We were told that they treat all fevers in babies that young as serious, 99.9% of the time the baby is fine (my wife thinks she just had him too bundled up) but you really want to catch that 0.1% of cases that are more serious and address them ASAP. I know it's really stressful but I'd put money on your family being OK. Hang in there!

This has been beaten into my head a lot this week, so I'll buy that :goleft: Thanks.

Thanks so much for this view it helped a lot.

We just got back from seeing the doctor and initial tests are all positive. The weight loss was from probably not enough breast milk but not sure what caused the temperature increase.

There is a last test that we will get the results for on Wednesday and if that is all clear we can be discharged from hospital! God what a rollercoaster of emotions

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

IceG posted:

Thanks so much for this view it helped a lot.

We just got back from seeing the doctor and initial tests are all positive. The weight loss was from probably not enough breast milk but not sure what caused the temperature increase.

There is a last test that we will get the results for on Wednesday and if that is all clear we can be discharged from hospital! God what a rollercoaster of emotions

Hell yeah.

Also if you weren't already aware, you should be taking home everything that the hospital gives you which can easily fit into a bag. Diapers, pacifiers, swaddle blankets, if you're not stopping just short of stripping the copper wiring from the walls then you're doing it wrong.

McDougirl
Jun 22, 2006
this title is custom-made!
I agree with everything you said about prioritizing parental sleep for safety and lip/tongue ties, except:

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Maybe better parents than us could have toughed it out and not had to zap their kids mouth, but holy poo poo, everything got easier once we did it, and we could actually enjoy being parents.

This is so wrong I had to call it out, in fear that pregnant folks might internalize it. Helping your baby eat by fixing a wee little tie in no way makes you a worse parent. You helped your kid eat! And it obviously worked. Plus your dentist or doctor wouldn't have done it just for fun.

Hopefully you're being glib, but it sucks that you would think you're not the best parent for your kid.

I feel like sometimes parenthood (and especially newborn parenthood) comes with a weird sense of martyrdom - like if you do anything to make it easier, you're cheating, and that's obviously silly.

As you might have guessed, my older child had a lip and tongue tie that were fixed. Huuuuge improvement in eating. Sure, I didn't love that we made him cry and the cauterization smell was a little icky for 2 minutes, but overall it was the best choice.

All this to say to ClothHat, maybe get someone to check for ties if they haven't already. Also, if the weather is agreeable, I sometimes found that feeding outside in the sunlight helped keep the babies awake.

This is super right though:

Good luck, remember that there's a ton of right ways to raise a kid and only a very few wrong ones, and most of those are super obvious to anyone with a functioning moral compass.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

McDougirl posted:

Hopefully you're being glib, but it sucks that you would think you're not the best parent for your kid.

I feel like sometimes parenthood (and especially newborn parenthood) comes with a weird sense of martyrdom - like if you do anything to make it easier, you're cheating, and that's obviously silly.

Yeah, I was definitely being glib, but you're absolutely right about this weird sense of martyrdom. Like if it's not sunshiney Mom Vibes through abject misery there's something clearly wrong. When in fact it's just hard and also great.

Getting assessed for and correcting a tongue or lip tie is absolutely the best thing we did for our kiddo and ourselves. Also: combined bottle and breastfeeding! I found it WAY easier to connect and love my son when I wasn't dreading chapped nipples every two hours.

This thread has been a major help for me through both of my pregnancies. I'm 36 weeks now and excited for my daughter to join the family. I just have to actually pack my hospital bag and suchlike at some point...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
We way overpacked our hospital bag (bags!), if we have a second kid and live not too far from the hospital when they're born I'm going to pack a pre-partum bag and a post-partum bag, and swap one for the other when appropriate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

2DEG posted:

Read a pregnancy book if you're completely clueless on the process and what the preggo body goes through (my rec is the Mayo Clinic guide, but there's lots of good ones). For your wife, just do what she asks and try not to take stuff personally. Reading the parenting thread was actually really useful for me to prep for all the weird poo poo that kids can do. So far I haven't had too many surprises since I'd already read people's advice on so many situations/problems.

As an aside, I took a break from lurking the Ukraine thread for my own mental health, so I'm really happy to read you got the kid out successfully! I've got an early 20's cousin of my own out near Irkutsk, but my mom hasn't been in touch with my uncle so we don't know what's up with him.

Hey, thanks! He's been a big help even though it hasn't been two weeks! Love this rascal and I guess it's helpful to have a large child to prepare for the tiny child.

Is it normal to be like, hyper anxious? Like I've had this thread sitting open for a week on my laptop and was scared to open it. Powered through three pregnancy books. But my wife is a flight attendant and on one of her overnight stays away from home, and I'm all sweaty and can't sleep. So finally must post. I keep expecting "plane spontaneously explodes' and just started one of her favourite sauces for when she gets back tomorrow. I know she's going to show back up tomorrow like "chill papuchka I missed you too!" but I can't chill! And I know I'm here on the easier end of the pregnancy. I have to be anxious, she has to be pregnant for six or seven more months and then give birth.

I guess my question is how future dads got through massive anxiety? Is the anxiety normal? I never really had existential fear about when she had an overnight flight like I do now. :(

And how do I get through seven more months of this, although I know the answer to that question is "listen to your wife and hug her."

And my dad was an abusive piece of poo poo, too, so like, I really want to be good. My wife is by far and away the best person I've ever met and I want to be the opposite of my father. I'm so in love with her and the kid and so scared, and so sorry for this wall of text

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anxiety is normal, yours might be slightly high but she's a stewardess so I think it's at least partially warranted. It's difficult to feel like you can protect her when she spends so much time traveling

I'd say, start working on baby projects. My anxiety went way down after I assembled the crib, it made me feel like I was finally contributing. I had all the lists and ordered all the stuff, gave me somewhere to focus that energy

Good luck

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Big dad feelings

Join the club. Being a parent isn't easy, watching the person you love bear a tremendous change is hard, wanting to not be a lovely father is normal, feeling anxious is normal. Feel free to talk about here. If it feels overwhelming, maybe consider talking to a therapist. Mental health is physical health

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

How the hell do women cope with this limbo before labor hits/medical intervention? My cervix was 2cm dilated and very soft last Tuesday and I’ve lost a lot of mucus plug since then. I feel like my stomach turns into a steel drum every 5 minutes or so. And my doctor is of the opinion that going to full term might not be so great for me considering I’m 5’1” and the baby was already measuring close to 6lb. So where is my son? Why is the female condition a hodge podge of symptoms that could be everything and anything or nothing?

Dazerbeams fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Apr 13, 2022

femcastra
Apr 25, 2008

If you want him,
come and knit him!
Man tell me about it. Baby number one was born at 41+3, spontaneous labour, but I was so bored of being pregnant and waiting to have a baby that I wasn’t even excited about having the baby until contractions started in earnest.

Baby number two went to 42 weeks and then I went in to be induced. By that point I had had day-long contractions at 39 weeks that disappeared all of a sudden. I also got the breast pump out at 40 weeks and pumped in earnest for an hour. Started contractions, went to hospital, it all fizzled out, baby stayed in for another two weeks. Got very tired of the ‘is it today?’ feelings.

Baby will come out when they’re ready. You’ll be okay. It sucks to wait.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I had an almost 10 pound baby and it went totally fine. As long as their head isn't ginormous it's just a bit of extra pudge everywhere.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

It’s the fukkin worst. I had it for 3 weeks before my son was born. 2-3cm and regular bouts of contractions every 5 minutes for an hour or two. I eventually did some exercises my doula gave me because I guess he was facing wrong? And then I had him like a day later. Also bonus, my uterus was hella strong after all that contracting and labor was really fast.

But those three weeks were mentally exhausting.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

Was that chorizo and potato burrito for dinner worth the massive and alarming midnight heartburn I now am experiencing?

Yes. Definitely.

Come on, baby Chernobyl, can we please get through this last month without all this drama?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What are some good ways of insulating a newborn against loud noises? My wife and I are about to have some pretty noisy work done on our basement, with a one-month old in the house. He's a pretty heavy sleeper and we'll be able to keep a couple floors of separation between him and the work (he slept through most of the pre-demo for the project), but I don't want to risk hurting his hearing. Do I buy little baby earmuffs? Stuff some towels under the door in the room where he sleeps? Get him out of the house during the work (not sure how feasible that last one is).

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Babies infamously deal with noisy environments really well. Go grab a stethoscope and listen to your breathing and heartbeat. Since conception the baby grew ears with the ear drums in direct water contact from the ear drum, through the... fluid, through the uterus wall and all the liquid in the body to the lungs and heart, like an improved stethoscope. Constantly forever

I'd maybe play some music over top the construction and call it a day

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
What if they're jackhammering part of our foundation to put a new slab in?

E: which I guess is going to take less time than I thought, so I might just gently caress off out of the house with him while that's going on.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 16, 2022

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah that's loud enough to cause permanent hearing damage, maybe today is a good day to check out your local botanical gardens

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Crossposting from the parenting thread because I think y'all will like it!

D34THROW posted:

So my wife hadn't felt the baby move at all yet yesterday evening, so we broke out the fetal doppler she got off one of those Facebook free-blessing things, and found her thump-thump pretty quickly. Fairly normal course of events; after 2 losses in 2 years, we can both get a little squirrely when things don't seem kosher.

The not normal part was when I started talking to her. She punched the transducer and then her heartbeat started getting faster and louder. Lil' girl got excited hearing Daddy talk to her :kimchi:

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

My in-laws started asking yesterday when we were going to make the news of the pregnancy public and it’s like, jfc I’m only 9 weeks. It’s pretty common to wait until the second trimester at least, give us some loving space.

I’m quite irritable these days. Also I get the sense maybe they’ve told some people.

Going to get NIPT this week, I think, if the ultrasound tomorrow shows the pregnancy is still viable. We didn’t find out the sex last time but we definitely want to know this time.

Last time I remember peeing all the time when I got further along but not this early. I already can’t sleep through the night and have to pee constantly. So much fun.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

Sorry for double post.

I’m 9 weeks 4 days today and I’ve had awful nausea and food aversions just this week. Prior to this I had one episode of vomiting around 5-6 weeks but other than that very little nausea. Anyone else’s nausea pick up a little later in the first trimester? I thought I’d basically be out of the woods by now if I didn’t have the symptoms already.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Found out my wife is pregnant with our second child recently. She is only at 7 weeks at this point. We both seem much more chill about it this time around than we were for baby number 1. My only concern right now is her getting covid somehow and that messing with the baby.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

nesbit37 posted:

Found out my wife is pregnant with our second child recently. She is only at 7 weeks at this point. We both seem much more chill about it this time around than we were for baby number 1. My only concern right now is her getting covid somehow and that messing with the baby.
Congrats.

My wife caught COVID in Dec '20 at her 8 week ultrasound. The kid's fine. Overall, I think there's very little evidence of COVID having much impact on the fetus so long as the fever isn't high.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
That's good to hear. I read some horror stories but didn't know if they were the exceptions or what.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

boquiabierta posted:

Sorry for double post.

I’m 9 weeks 4 days today and I’ve had awful nausea and food aversions just this week. Prior to this I had one episode of vomiting around 5-6 weeks but other than that very little nausea. Anyone else’s nausea pick up a little later in the first trimester? I thought I’d basically be out of the woods by now if I didn’t have the symptoms already.
Yep, mine picked up and was worst around weeks 10-14. Absolutely mad food aversions which I never had the first time either - couldnt know if I could eat a food until it was in front of me

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

boquiabierta posted:

Sorry for double post.

Yeah, this happened to me too with my second pregnancy. I'm still weirdly sensitive to some flavors and smells and my due date is in two days. Basically my experience was that my first pregnancy was every horrible emotional symptom and the second was every physical symptom.

I am very, very ready to be done being pregnant.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Well I got my wish

Went in for an induction, got cervidil at 2pm. Around 7:30 the contractions started to suck so I got some IV pain meds and took a nap. When those wore off around 8:45 I was like "drat, this poo poo sucks, I'd love an epidural." Doctor checked me, I was only 4cm dilated so no worries, no rush.

And then before the anaesthesiologist could even unpack his needles the contractions ramped up, my water broke, and this lovely baby was born at 9:15pm. She needed some help breathing at first, but followed that up with eating like a horse and then sleeping like a lamb.

Would not recommend the Speedrun of L&D but this is an A+ baby.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Yay, congrats, she's beautiful :glomp:

I can't believe we're at 19 weeks. I feel so bad for my wife, her MFM has her on Lovenox twice a day and her tummy is bruised as gently caress :sigh: She did manage to get a hella sweet picture last night of me giving our miracle girl her nighttime snuggles, since I pretty much fell asleep doing so, so there's that :unsmith:

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Congrats! Lovely baby, looks very cuddle-able. :3:

My Shark Waifuu
Dec 9, 2012

Well I got my wish

Congrats Chernobyl Princess! She looks like an A+ baby for sure :3:

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
I'm 14 weeks now with my first, much-wanted baby and had my first ultrasound last week which was all very good news. I'm the one with a diagnosed anxiety disorder but my husband is so worried he doesn't even want to talk about "fun" things like names until after the 20 week anatomy scan, which is also when he'd like to start telling people. I'm fine with waiting longer to tell people in principle, but he doesn't even want me to tell my manager at work yet, even though I'm increasingly needing time off for appointments which I'm entitled to! I have a small frame so I'm starting to show already and it's getting a little awkward.

I find it difficult to understand because he is really excited about having a baby, he just doesn't want to get excited about this one in particular yet (though we've never had a miscarriage or literally any reason for concern). Has anyone else dealt with something like this? I almost feel like I'm not allowed to be excited and it's getting me down, but I want to be supportive of his concerns, too.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

midori-a-gogo posted:

I'm 14 weeks now with my first, much-wanted baby and had my first ultrasound last week which was all very good news. I'm the one with a diagnosed anxiety disorder but my husband is so worried he doesn't even want to talk about "fun" things like names until after the 20 week anatomy scan, which is also when he'd like to start telling people. I'm fine with waiting longer to tell people in principle, but he doesn't even want me to tell my manager at work yet, even though I'm increasingly needing time off for appointments which I'm entitled to! I have a small frame so I'm starting to show already and it's getting a little awkward.

I find it difficult to understand because he is really excited about having a baby, he just doesn't want to get excited about this one in particular yet (though we've never had a miscarriage or literally any reason for concern). Has anyone else dealt with something like this? I almost feel like I'm not allowed to be excited and it's getting me down, but I want to be supportive of his concerns, too.

I was anxious in a similar way, tho maybe not that extreme. There are a ton of things outside his control or ability to effect, and that can be a rough transition. I had people telling me all the way up to the baby being born to just chill and let nature do it’s thing which is easier said than done.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

You can absolutely tell your manager or other people if you want to. I know it's hard when somebody has anxiety (It's me in my relationship!!) But his anxiety and his lack of ability to control it should not limit what you want to do. Telling your boss that you are pregnant when you are past the first trimester and want to is a completely reasonable thing.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

D34THROW posted:

Yay, congrats, she's beautiful :glomp:

I can't believe we're at 19 weeks. I feel so bad for my wife, her MFM has her on Lovenox twice a day and her tummy is bruised as gently caress :sigh: She did manage to get a hella sweet picture last night of me giving our miracle girl her nighttime snuggles, since I pretty much fell asleep doing so, so there's that :unsmith:

Our preemie needed twice-daily Lovenox injections for 3 months after coming home from the NICU (complication from the device they used to close her PDA)

Constantly giving a newborn painful injections sure is a fun experience for everyone involved :( We got through it though!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
A hearty gently caress you to everyone who told me "oh don't bottle feed your baby, he'll never want to breastfeed again!", I have early AM feeding duty and I can't get this fucker to finish a bottle of breastmilk to save my life. This is across a few different bottle types too. How long should I let a bottle feeding session go before calling it, regardless of how much he's eaten (3-4 at 2 months of age)?

At least he's a good breastfeeder, thank God.

Kolodny
Jul 10, 2010

C-Euro posted:

A hearty gently caress you to everyone who told me "oh don't bottle feed your baby, he'll never want to breastfeed again!", I have early AM feeding duty and I can't get this fucker to finish a bottle of breastmilk to save my life. This is across a few different bottle types too. How long should I let a bottle feeding session go before calling it, regardless of how much he's eaten (3-4 at 2 months of age)?

At least he's a good breastfeeder, thank God.

3-4 ounces? That sounds ok for 2 months. How often?

I’m looking back through trackers and both the first (exclusively bottle) and second (breast and bottle) had about that much every 2-3 hours at 2 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cailleask
May 6, 2007

My kids almost never took more than 3-4oz of breast milk from a bottle even when they were closing in on one. Apparently mine was mostly fat and filled them up quickly?