Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Choose your class!
Gourmet Fighter
Sauce Wizard
Spice Thief
Condiment Cleric
View Results

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Instructions unclear, ate a larva.

...seems like you followed the instructions exactly, though? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mirage posted:

"Dungeon Meshi" is just "Tasty Dungeon" anyway. If they really wanted to lean into the D&D title they would have named it "Dungeons & Deliciousness."
It says "Delicious in Dungeon" in english on the japanese covers. I can't think it wasn't intentional to have a DnD tagline.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

DrSunshine posted:

Instructions unclear, ate a larva.

Thanks for getting in touch with Dungeon Grub ltd, a subsidiary of Dungeon Guys co! We make great efforts to provide the best dungeon-themed food items in the business. Please note that the Terms and Conditions of Dungeon Grub states that Dungeon Grub is not liable for any harm that occurs from eating the ingredients raw or not preparing the dishes provided following the recipe provided by Dungeon Grub.

Eating the ingredients raw may result in:
Upset Stomach
Diarrhea
Poisoning
Parasites
Curses
Accidental Cannibalism
Angry Local Tribes of Orcs
Being Bound To A Malevolent Demon
Being Changed Into A Different Species
Being Unable To Leave An Eternal Dream
And More

If you are experiencing any one of the symptoms or more, please go to a local physician or healing mage as soon as possible.

Again, Dungeon Grub is not responsible for any of these conditions, and will not pay for your healing fees. If an invoice is sent, we have the right to fight it in Elf Court

Thanks for buying from Dungeon Grub!

Balache404
Aug 2, 2018

Why not think of a new name while reading the new chapter.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

If we're doing alternate titles I would like recommend Dungeons & Dining

Or if we can stretch it a bit more, Diving & Dining.

Also, in the latest chapter, Laios has an epiphany

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Continues to just be the best manga

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
Luncheons and Dragons

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
"What's your favorite food."

"Hippogriff Soup."

Senshi... :gbsmith:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Kabru, externally: Don't worry, Laios. I trust you.

Kabru, internally: Oh poo poo oh gently caress oh crapbaskets

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I cannot believe that Laios's favorite food is cheesecake, of all things

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Kill the demon and eat it, Laios

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I got a little sad when Laios thought eating the demon wouldn't do anything. Just make that your wish!

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Laios Touden waited. The elves above him charged and fell out of the air. There were demons in the dungeon. He saw them, but hadn't expected them, now for years. The warnings of Kabru were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Laois was an adventurer for fourteen years. When he was young he watched the monsters and he said to dad "I want to eat the monsters, daddy."
Dad said "NO! YOU WILL BE EAT BY MONSTERS!"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the dungeon of the Golden Kingdom he knew there were monsters.
"This is Kabru," the magic bell crackered. "You must eat the monsters!"
So Laios got Kensuke and knocked down the wall.
"HE'S GOING TO EAT US," said the monsters!
"I will tempt at him," said the Lion Demon and spoke through his sword. Laois reasoned him and tried to eat him up. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped, and not able to eat.
"No! I must eat the demon," he shouted!
The magic bell said, "No, Laios. You are the dark lord."
And then, Laois was a dark lord.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RuBisCO posted:

Kill the demon and eat it, Laios

Hey, you don't even have to kill it first.

Just look at (spoilers for the ending to another series) Denji!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
thistle's countrymen were pretty miserable so hopefully laios sees through the lies in this chapter

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Kabru is such a silly

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Marcille, please

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Relin posted:

thistle's countrymen were pretty miserable so hopefully laios sees through the lies in this chapter

I don't think it's really a lie. The demon freely admits that as things are, he can't fulfill wishes that will please everyone - someone's wish can contradict with someone else's.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
oh Laios. you DENSE motherfucker :allears:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Why does the Winged Lion have human teeth :gonk:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Relin posted:

Laios literally lived through (a comedically abridged/exaggerated) version of what's being suggested when Thistle captured him briefly, so I'm feeling like this is Laios being uncharacteristically clever and going along with what the Lion wants to hear to be allowed closer to Marcille.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I trust the lion.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
poor kensuke :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I dunno. Sure, Asuka can be rough company, and he was never able to settle things with his dad, but he seems to be making things work...

Oh, right. Other Kensuke. Yeah, that's rough

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
they're gonna eat that demon

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Picked up the first book of this at the bookstore today after hearing it generallly recommended. I'm not a big manga reader or anime watcher (the only one i actually read is My Hero Academia, which i fell into by chance while recovering from an eye condition), but I love D&D, and this is great!

I tried searching to see if there's a show and it looks like there isn't, which is too bad. Still far from caught up on the comic though.

That's really all i got. Comic is good.

Edit: I guess to give this post more content, are there any more recommendations for this author, or this genre? My sense is that most fantasy adventurer anime/manga is kinda garbage, but if there's more like this around i'd be interested to see it!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Dolash posted:

Picked up the first book of this at the bookstore today after hearing it generallly recommended. I'm not a big manga reader or anime watcher (the only one i actually read is My Hero Academia, which i fell into by chance while recovering from an eye condition), but I love D&D, and this is great!

I tried searching to see if there's a show and it looks like there isn't, which is too bad. Still far from caught up on the comic though.

Edit: I guess to give this post more content, are there any more recommendations for this author, or this genre? My sense is that most fantasy adventurer anime/manga is kinda garbage, but if there's more like this around i'd be interested to see it!

You can read her Short Story collection. She hasn't done much else.

Watch Slayers.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Going to use this opportunity to plug Heterogenous Linguistics, a manga about a human linguist living with fantasy beast-people to try to understand and document their languages. It reminds me a lot of Dungeon Meshi but with language instead of food

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Watch Slayers is just good life advice in general

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Dolash posted:

One of her short story collections, Seven Little Sons of the Dragon is legally available in English. For similar fantasy, I guess there’s Record of Lodoss War? It’s a classic fantasy series that was originally a D&D campaign played by the author

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Watch Slayers.

Collections, plural. I know of at least three. Not all of them are officially translated yet, but they're all interesting enough to be worth the read, and they've been fan translated if you know where to look.

Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End might also be worth a look. It's a story about an elf who was part of a JRPG hero party decades ago going out to retrace her steps. Very melancholic tone a lot of the time, and a bit of the same "Okay, how does this work?" attitude towards RPG elements that Dungeon Meshi has.

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

Dolash posted:

I'm a big fan of The Dragon, The Hero, and The Courier. Its written by a guy who loves Medieval history, and has post chapter pages comparing actual history to the manga. The series is basically about a cynical half elf courier dealing with fantasy red tape as she just wants to do her job. Its got a good sense of humor, and jokes about a lot of the standard fantasy tropes.

Witch Hat Atelier is a beautiful series about a young girl learning the secrets of magic along with her fellow young apprentices, and the art and characters are just fantastic. It eschews most of the fantasy tropes like dungeons, adventure guilds and such, I found it a very refreshing series.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Seconding Frieren and Heterogeneous Linguistics, they hit a similar mark in the "relatively standard fantasy world with a LOT of thought put into how everything works and a fairly wholesome tone". Frieren has some light combat and Linguistics has practically none, iirc.

For something slightly sillier in tone you could check out Soara and the Monster's House. Basically a monster-of-the-week but instead of "how eat" it's "how build house for". Only a few eps out so far, though.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Lurking Haro posted:

Watch Slayers.

I'm trying to watch Slayers, but the aforementioned vision problems make the special effects really hard on my eyes. I do really like seeing a charming old 80s/90s cartoon where a female protagonist gets to run around having fun and slapping dragons around. Maybe that has a manga I can read too?

I've gone ahead and looked up these other series you guys have mentioned and they look great! I guess there's a lot more gems out there than are stocked at my local Indigo. Thanks for the advice!

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Dolash posted:

I'm trying to watch Slayers, but the aforementioned vision problems make the special effects really hard on my eyes. I do really like seeing a charming old 80s/90s cartoon where a female protagonist gets to run around having fun and slapping dragons around. Maybe that has a manga I can read too?

I've gone ahead and looked up these other series you guys have mentioned and they look great! I guess there's a lot more gems out there than are stocked at my local Indigo. Thanks for the advice!

There is a manga and also a Light Novel, which is the source material.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dolash posted:

Something else that might be worth looking at is the Shonen Jump website. They've got a massive archive for 2 bucks a month, and the first three chapters of most manga are free. Since you like MHA, they probably have at least a few that you'd be interested in.

If you're looking for something popular right now from their listings, there's Kaguya: Love is War, Spy X Family, and Chainsaw Man.

Kaguya's about two genius dumbasses on a student council trying to trick each other into admitting romantic affection (because, as the narrator tells us, the one who admits to being in love first... loses!).

Spy X Family is about a family where the father is a spy, the mom's an assassin, and the daughter is a telepath... but no-one except the daughter knows any of that, and since she's four, she's kind of an idiot.

And Chainsaw Man... well, it's right there in the title.

All three are very good, very funny, and have either upcoming or ongoing anime with higher-than-average production values. Probably worth a look at the first chapters to see if you like them.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
The author, Kui Ryoko, has a few short story collections: "The Dragon's Seven Adorable Children", "The Dragon's School is on top of the Mountain", and "Terrarium in Drawer". I would highly recommend all of them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dolash posted:

Bard Loen, Knight of the Frontier. A fantasy series that follows a retired knight as he goes on one last journey before he passes away. Lots of eating wonderful food and interesting fantasy world adventures, and also gorgeous artwork.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if you like the off-beat examination of a fantasy world from through the lens of a focused topic, i can't recommend the previously mentioned heterogenous linguistics and the dragon, the hero, and the courier enough. both thoroughly enjoyable, though the courier one is much more unabashedly cynical than the other two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
The mangaka of the Dragon, the Hero, and the Courier is also a tremendous medieval nerd, to the point that his pen name is a latinization.