Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Low rez Canada made me laugh too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I can't stand Natasha Lyonne which means I probably wouldn't like Russian Doll--though it sounds pretty cool.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I can't stand Natasha Lyonne which means I probably wouldn't like Russian Doll--though it sounds pretty cool.

It's worth giving it a shot. I probably would have said I found her annoying before I watched S1, and she's definitely still herself, but she grows on you. The supporting characters are great, too.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Tony Hawk documentary on HBO is really good.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

veni veni veni posted:

Is the documentary just 2 hours of the interviewer telling Tony Hawk how much he looks like Tony Hawk

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

Is the documentary just 2 hours of the interviewer telling Tony Hawk how much he looks like Tony Hawk
That will be in part two which will come out when the new game Tony Hawk Pro Twitter is released

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nihonniboku posted:

idgi

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I can't stand Natasha Lyonne

mods???

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

He frequently tweets stories of him out in public and people coming up to him and telling him how he looks just like Tony Hawk.

https://www.upworthy.com/tony-hawk-not-being-recognized

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nihonniboku posted:

He frequently tweets stories of him out in public and people coming up to him and telling him how he looks just like Tony Hawk.

https://www.upworthy.com/tony-hawk-not-being-recognized
Also people being like "oh you have a skateboard. Who do you think you are, Tony Hawk?"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha that's great

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I don't get not liking her. Child star who royally hosed up her life with drugs but had a nice comeback second act career in her 30s is pretty rad.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Russian Doll s1 was loving great. I had no idea who the main actress was before seeing it so I don’t know if it’s her schtick or what but I’m a huge fan of timeloop stories.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Im loving all the split screen shots in Fargo 2. I don't remember the last thing I saw that did that correct. I don't even think Tarantino pulled it off as good. season 2 is very grind house now that I think about it

lots of Lebowski references in this season too. is the show 100% a Coen sendup ?

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 07:23 on May 13, 2022

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I worked with Tony Hawk on a job and I told him how funny his stories about that were and he just said: "it happens every day...... Every. Day. :geno:"

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I don't get not liking her. Child star who royally hosed up her life with drugs but had a nice comeback second act career in her 30s is pretty rad.

I do like her a lot, but I can see someone being rubbed the wrong way by the sort of "disaffected superiority" Gen X vibe she can tap into. That sort of thing usually bothers me, but with her it works somehow.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I just watched the first season of Russian Doll and I've never seen her in anything before

It took me several episodes before I could get my head around her voice. To my limey ears, she sounds just like a cartoon character. She sounds like Bugs Bunny

Anyway it turns out I really like that, actually, and it was a cool season

And I can't get that fuckin' song out of my head

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Barry Foster posted:

I just watched the first season of Russian Doll and I've never seen her in anything before

It took me several episodes before I could get my head around her voice. To my limey ears, she sounds just like a cartoon character. She sounds like Bugs Bunny

Well Mel Blanc gave Bugs a Brooklyn accent, so there probably is some genuine similarity there.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Her heavy smoker voice is a tough sell for me. Just makes it unpleasant to watch. Similar to Janeane Garafolo -- not sure if it's smoking or what but compare her voice in the 90s to what she sounds like now. It's all I can focus on, unfortunately.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

theflyingexecutive posted:

I worked with Tony Hawk on a job and I told him how funny his stories about that were and he just said: "it happens every day...... Every. Day. :geno:"

i'm in my 40s and i still sometimes skate and even though i look almost nothing like Tony Hawk, i've been confused for Tony Hawk

apparently all old white guys with skateboards look alike

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Barry Foster posted:

Even for maybe most Americans, the show was an interesting reminder that there are actual people out there who really talk like that. It feels cartoonish at times, but it's not an affectation.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A MIRACLE posted:

Im loving all the split screen shots in Fargo 2. I don't remember the last thing I saw that did that correct. I don't even think Tarantino pulled it off as good. season 2 is very grind house now that I think about it

lots of Lebowski references in this season too. is the show 100% a Coen sendup ?

The Coen Brothers are executive producers on the show and some of the seasons are loosely based on their movies so yeah there are some references.

As a complete fan boy this makes me very happy.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Field Mousepad posted:

The Coen Brothers are executive producers on the show and some of the seasons are loosely based on their movies so yeah there are some references.

As a complete fan boy this makes me very happy.

oh poo poo, lol I'm dumb as hell

Im on episode nine and the aliens just showed up again, turned on some lights, offered no further explanation and flew away lol. also "its a flying saucer hon" got me

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

It also (end of season spoilers) has a very functional purpose in the story by acting as a red-herring for Danson's universal language, beyond its larger thematic significance.

ok I finished season 2, can you elaborate a little about what you mean by this?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Lincoln Lawyer show on Netflix is as Dad Rock as you'd expect but its good, nice to watch a comforting high budget procedural done right

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

precision posted:

The Lincoln Lawyer show on Netflix is as Dad Rock as you'd expect but its good, nice to watch a comforting high budget procedural done right

Neat, I need some dad-level crime/justice procedural and the new Bosch feels small compared to its glory days. Is it the dumb freevee logo in the corner? Is it the reduced cast of characters? Is it the commercial breaks?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Neat, I need some dad-level crime/justice procedural and the new Bosch feels small compared to its glory days. Is it the dumb freevee logo in the corner? Is it the reduced cast of characters? Is it the commercial breaks?

Not really a procedural per se, but the new David Simon show We Own This City on HBO is pretty great.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Tokyo Vice really petered out by the the end there huh.

I need a cocaine-fueled Mann to direct the whole 2nd season. Anything less is a waste.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Just saw in the news that Netflix will be putting up Norm Macdonald's last comedy special on May 30. It was shot in his living room, just in case he couldn't live long enough to have it professionally done.

Netflix has far more comedy specials than I want to see but I'll be watching it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Enos Cabell posted:

Not really a procedural per se, but the new David Simon show We Own This City on HBO is pretty great.

I plan on seeing it someday, thanks! (Don't have HBO ATM)

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Thanks to the early posters in the thread for pointing out Kanopy; I logged in with my library card and was impressed by the selection. I'd actually never seen Chinatown, so I finally caught up with that, and I plan on watching Moonlight next as I intended to watch it after it won Best Picture but never got around to it. Any suggestions for my other two credits for the month on there?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Tokyo Vice really petered out by the the end there huh.

I need a cocaine-fueled Mann to direct the whole 2nd season. Anything less is a waste.

I just watched the last episode last night and yeah, it really did. Felt pretty unfinished too considering the very first scene of episode one was a flash-forward that never gets revisited. I'd definitely be up for a second season.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

All the grizzled 70s and 80s skateboarders are the highlight.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

smackfu posted:

A reminder that gleaming the cube is on prime, I believe. Includes an actor that looks like Tony hawk!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

doctorfrog posted:

Just saw in the news that Netflix will be putting up Norm Macdonald's last comedy special on May 30. It was shot in his living room, just in case he couldn't live long enough to have it professionally done.

Netflix has far more comedy specials than I want to see but I'll be watching it.

I'm going to cry my brains out

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

istewart posted:

Thanks to the early posters in the thread for pointing out Kanopy; I logged in with my library card and was impressed by the selection. I'd actually never seen Chinatown, so I finally caught up with that, and I plan on watching Moonlight next as I intended to watch it after it won Best Picture but never got around to it. Any suggestions for my other two credits for the month on there?

If you're comfortable with gay cinema and frank depictions of gay sex, God's Own Country and Stranger by the Lake are both on there and are very good.

God's Own Country stars The Crown's Josh O'Connor and is about a young unhappy farmer who lives with his grandmother and sickly father, and he numbs his frustrations with drinking and casual sex until a Romanian migrant worker sets him on a new path.

Stranger by the Lake is a French film, which premiered at Cannes in 2013 where it won Best Director, and the star was nominated for a Cesar (the French equivalent of an Oscar) for Best Actor. It's an erotic thriller drama about a young man who regularly goes cruising at a nude beach, where he falls in love with another regular who may be a murderer.

Both are refreshing for gay films in that neither one deals with the anguish of coming out, being persecuted, AIDS, etc. They're straightforward with what they're about.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

smackfu posted:

Dogtown and Z-Boys is an amazing skate doc from 2001 about the Zephyr crew from Santa Monica. Makes a killer double feature with the Tony Hawk doc.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

istewart posted:

You can do a search for ‘Criterion’ or ‘A24’ and bring up those respective collections. Can’t go wrong with anything in there.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I really wish I got into skateboarding as a teen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Alongside Kanopy, there’s also Hoopla that works with your library card.