Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tuna-Fish posted:

Er, no, this is pure pragmatism. Note that Belarus isn't saying they are going to attack NATO. They are saying that NATO is dangerous and therefore the entire Belarusian military is currently urgently needed to defend against it, by having it sit across it along the border.

This is an excuse why they are not participating in the war. If I was in Luka's shoes, I'd probably be doing the exact same thing.

Was about to post this. Makes more sense than anything else, imo.

gotta be ready for the perfidious Finn to sweep across the land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tuna-Fish posted:

Er, no, this is pure pragmatism. Note that Belarus isn't saying they are going to attack NATO. They are saying that NATO is dangerous and therefore the entire Belarusian military is currently urgently needed to defend against it, by having it sit across it along the border.

This is an excuse why they are not participating in the war. If I was in Luka's shoes, I'd probably be doing the exact same thing.

One of the funnier and less directly tragic parts of this war has been watching Luka's frantic attempts to tapdance on a tightrope between Putin and the West. It's honestly sorta impressive how long he's managed to keep up this "I'm totally on your side Putin but oh man I got a real bad bellyache right now I couldn't possibly join your war but I'm completely rooting for you!" act.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

MrYenko posted:

Hiding your military comms inside civilian walkie talkie traffic is amazing maskirova.

:colbert:

Holy gently caress what a bunch of amateur hour horse poo poo. The biggest issue NATO would have with the modern Russian military is bringing enough ammunition up to keep murking Russians on playskool radios.

Honestly, this makes me really mad. THIS is what the west spent 80 years and trillions in military expenditures to be ready for... (The first 50 years of that perhaps wasn't super silly.)

The Americans have no free healthcare in order to be prepared to face off against an adversary that makes their pilots crowd sourcing walkie-talkies. It beggars belief.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
We can afford both healthcare and the military spending, funny meme aside. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Tomn posted:

One of the funnier and less directly tragic parts of this war has been watching Luka's frantic attempts to tapdance on a tightrope between Putin and the West. It's honestly sorta impressive how long he's managed to keep up this "I'm totally on your side Putin but oh man I got a real bad bellyache right now I couldn't possibly join your war but I'm completely rooting for you!" act.

I liked the Belarusian special forces operation in Ukraine that definitely happened and was so perfectly pulled off that they left zero evidence behind.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

We can afford both healthcare and the military spending, funny meme aside. I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Yeah, if we switch to single payer we could pay for the DOD and healthcare and still save money.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Crow Buddy posted:

Honestly, this makes me really mad. THIS is what the west spent 80 years and trillions in military expenditures to be ready for... (The first 50 years of that perhaps wasn't super silly.)

The Americans have no free healthcare in order to be prepared to face off against an adversary that makes their pilots crowd sourcing walkie-talkies. It beggars belief.

Yeah, it's very obvious that NATO is looking at this and pouring weapons, ammunition, material support into and sharing intelligence with Ukraine because they want to push Russia's poo poo in so hard and deep they don't come back for a few decades, if at all.

It's like finding the big bad bully threatening the neighborhood has a glass jaw and, after getting knocked down by his latest prey, the whole neighborhood wants to keep him down and learn some humility.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Crow Buddy posted:

The Cold War sucked super bad for a huge list of reasons, but to be fair the Soviet Army was a completely different thing from the current Russian one. It was like an order of magnitude bigger for one thing, and back in 1976 the T-64 and T-72 were much newer designs than they are in goddamn 2022 lol

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

sean10mm posted:

The Cold War sucked super bad for a huge list of reasons, but to be fair the Soviet Army was a completely different thing from the current Russian one. It was like an order of magnitude bigger for one thing, and back in 1976 the T-64 and T-72 were much newer designs than they are in goddamn 2022 lol

The T-64 is a good tank in 2022.

But to your point, the Soviet Armed Forces were far more prepared and scary than the current Armed Forces of the Russian Federation; however, they were never as good as the smaller and mostly professional NATO Armed Forces.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, it's very obvious that NATO is looking at this and pouring weapons, ammunition, material support into and sharing intelligence with Ukraine because they want to push Russia's poo poo in so hard and deep they don't come back for a few decades, if at all.

It's like finding the big bad bully threatening the neighborhood has a glass jaw and, after getting knocked down by his latest prey, the whole neighborhood wants to keep him down and learn some humility.

I’m sure that Russia will exist as an intact polity when the dust settles. Anybody saying otherwise is dreaming a little too hard imo. But I also don’t know how they could ever hope to rebuild their military to even February 2022 levels. So much of their material seems to be USSR hand-me-downs, and I have trouble seeing any route to anything close to military parity in the field with its regional power neighbors like Poland much less superpowers like the US and, I guess, China

There’s always the nuclear option, but the less said about it, the better. It’s why I think Russia’s borders will remain pretty static regardless.

saratoga
Mar 5, 2001
This is a Randbrick post. It goes in that D&D megathread on page 294

"i think obama was mediocre in that debate, but hillary was fucking terrible. also russert is filth."

-randbrick, 12/26/08

Young Freud posted:

I think their concern is way more practical than that. Russia has no chance of taking Kiev directly, but they still could take away the country's coast and therefore choke it into submission in the long term (and probably still would if NATO stopped shipping in weapons). Then the next war happens on Poland or Romania's borders. Making sure that Ukraine survives costs very little but means they have a nice buffer and don't have to fight that war at home.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

ZombieLenin posted:

The T-64 is a good tank in 2022.

But to your point, the Soviet Armed Forces were far more prepared and scary than the current Armed Forces of the Russian Federation; however, they were never as good as the smaller and mostly professional NATO Armed Forces.

The french had a stronger cavalry corps than the germans too.

It didn't matter, that wasn't how the war was going to be fought.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Young Freud posted:

It’s probably of some benefit to them if Russia is too loving ruined to start poo poo in Europe for several decades so the west can focus their efforts on China without needing to worry too much about the eastern border of Europe.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Secret mobilization rumblings
https://mobile.twitter.com/wiinterbere/status/1525949551542140931

Azov singing Kalush under bombardment at azovstal
https://mobile.twitter.com/Kozatsky_D/status/1525863297123332096

Multiple sources reporting the same thing, kadryovites are highly important for prisoner swaps
https://mobile.twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1525917006070939648

Re-Installing the international border pole that was removed by rashists
https://mobile.twitter.com/HillridgeOSINT/status/1525943319997689856

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 16, 2022

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

This sounds absolutely dire. (e:fb)
https://twitter.com/ABarbashin/status/1525947831525199872?s=20&t=POf2vyGqllp8zEI4Vd0uHQ

44-year olds, dude And it's a voluntary conscription, too, but if they're politely asking for 40-50yos, I doubt they'll get many takers and whoever they get are likely going to be worn the gently caress out.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They were rumoured to be deploying 2500 reservists, who knows what experience or age. 44 isn’t that bad considering they are forcibly mobilizing 60 year olds from the Donbas. Anyone that can hold a Mosin, super yikes

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1525935903742500864?s=20&t=gEn578TTWLtjqnuk7Ovk1g

:psyduck:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Risky Bisquick posted:

Multiple sources reporting the same thing, kadryovites are highly important for prisoner swaps
https://mobile.twitter.com/TpyxaNews/status/1525917006070939648

Why?? It’s not like they’re effective soldiers. I assume it must be because of the political situation in Chechnya and the need to keep as many loyal troops as possible.

Also where the gently caress are they capturing Chechens? Aren’t they busy shooting empty buildings miles from the front lines?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

gay picnic defence posted:

Why?? It’s not like they’re effective soldiers. I assume it must be because of the political situation in Chechnya and the need to keep as many loyal troops as possible.

Also where the gently caress are they capturing Chechens? Aren’t they busy shooting empty buildings miles from the front lines?

According to that reputed LNR/DNR soldier that's been posted a few times, they have gotten into *some* fights.

After all the less popular tiktokers need a chance to shine.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Buncha yall unfamiliar with the deal Putin made with Kadyrov to keep Chechnya pacified

Also that headline is intended to tie into russian resentment towards chechens (who are perceived as having effectively a privileged status... which has caused a bunch of friction because that extends even into Russia proper and it's not an inaccurate perception, at least wrt connected chechens)

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 16, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Buncha yall unfamiliar with the deal Putin made with Kadyrov to keep Chechnya pacified

Back then Putin was able of being pragmatic, and coming up with a deal that's great for him and Kadyrov (while kinda awful for both Russia and Chechnya).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also that headline is intended to tie into russian resentment towards chechens (who are perceived as having effectively a privileged status... which has caused a bunch of friction because that extends even into Russia proper and it's not an inaccurate perception, at least wrt connected chechens)
What exactly is that deal, anyway?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Another dawn is breaking in Kyiv, and it's still Ukrainian. :unsmith:

:ukraine:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Nessus posted:

What exactly is that deal, anyway?

Chechnya is run as a private fiefdom with little regard for Russian law and lots of subsidies from the budget. In exchange, it looks like part of Russia on the map, and Putin gets an extra bunch of goons for murdering inconvenient journalists and politicians in a slightly more deniable way.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kadryov is the perfect example of what Putin wants in terms of Ukraine Moldova etc. Just a "warrior" centric culture with a figurehead that can be a fascist on his own and also be a sellout enough to have "Russia" as their keeper.

--

Dawn breaks 21 days remaining.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Kadryov is the perfect example of what Putin wants in terms of Ukraine Moldova etc. Just a "warrior" centric culture with a figurehead that can be a fascist on his own and also be a sellout enough to have "Russia" as their keeper.

--

Dawn breaks 21 days remaining.

What happens in 21 days?

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Soul Glo posted:

What happens in 21 days?

The owned-a-ton window moves to discussing the plausible probability of Ukraine retaking crimea

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Soul Glo posted:

What happens in 21 days?

In a bit over 30 days it's the summer/winter solstice? Yeah that's all I can think of. :shrug:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Interestingly, the Soviet Union was cutting back on healthcare spending year by year since the mid-60s.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Holy gently caress what a bunch of amateur hour horse poo poo. The biggest issue NATO would have with the modern Russian military is bringing enough ammunition up to keep murking Russians on playskool radios.

"Modern Russian military" has become shorthand for "Consequences of massive kleptocratic corruption" this war.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Soul Glo posted:

What happens in 21 days?

Nothing. He's doing a dumb Zelda/Link bit from the video game Majoras Mask.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Although I think Ukraine intelligence predicted pretty much a complete culmination of Russian forces around mid-August?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

21 days is day 100 of the direct invasion.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

August seems like too much time. I mean what's left at that point? We've seen little push in the last three days which is not great. Yeah "refitting" is cool and all but this is constantly the newest hottest way to say the Russians can still win here. Offensives are hard to achieve, and doing so with no air superiority is loving impossible. Artillery a cool and all but the longer arty sits the longer it can be countered. And on that note this isn't a shoot and scoot type of deal. The arty had to be setup and ready to rock for hours and hours. Moving repositioning to a new area etc can render the defender ample time to stunt an offensive tempo because counter battery and air strikes are both non issues temporarily. Even ten minutes of no worries arty strikes can devastate an attackers spearheads.

The dozenish BTGs that were sieging Kharkiv are probably at half strength or less so it adds like 5000 or less soldiers to the mix. This isn't what you need to crack forts. You need more like 50,000 soldiers worth of motorized / tank / AA / Spgs / IFVs to break through more than a few Frontline graves we like to call "trenches"

-

Odesa is under air strikes. The English translation of the telegram goes "Explosions audible in Odesa, preliminary air defense is working"

https://t.me/our_odessa/34059

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 16, 2022

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Isn't the push out of Kharkiv a successful offensive operation for the Ukrainians?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Crow Buddy posted:

I fell like this ignores a lot about the fungibility of the ability to project force in terms of what it has bought the US in terms of Economic prosperity and also the virtual guarantee that this type of war will not be fought on American soil. I know that sounds ghoulish as gently caress but those are real benefits that Americans have reaped by spending so much on our military.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The X-man cometh posted:

Isn't the push out of Kharkiv a successful offensive operation for the Ukrainians?

Yes definitely. But there been unsubstantiated rumors that Russia will counter attack shortly after retreating. I think that's horse poo poo but the units at Kharkiv will not be effective by being repositioned to Donbass.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

August seems like too much time. I mean what's left at that point? We've seen little push in the last three days which is not great. Yeah "refitting" is cool and all but this is constantly the newest hottest way to say the Russians can still win here. Offensives are hard to achieve, and doing so with no air superiority is loving impossible. Artillery a cool and all but the longer arty sits the longer it can be countered. And on that note this isn't a shoot and scoot type of deal. The arty had to be setup and ready to rock for hours and hours. Moving repositioning to a new area etc can render the defender ample time to stunt an offensive tempo because counter battery and air strikes are both non issues temporarily. Even ten minutes of no worries arty strikes can devastate an attackers spearheads.

The dozenish BTGs that were sieging Kharkiv are probably at half strength or less so it adds like 5000 or less soldiers to the mix. This isn't what you need to crack forts. You need more like 50,000 soldiers worth of motorized / tank / AA / Spgs / IFVs to break through more than a few Frontline graves we like to call "trenches"

-

Odesa is under air strikes. The English translation of the telegram goes "Explosions audible in Odesa, preliminary air defense is working"

https://t.me/our_odessa/34059

There are a lot of explosions but most of them seemed like airdefense today luckily

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

https://twitter.com/i/status/1525925546344980483

Edit; this video is marked not sage but I didn't see anything nsfw or nms on it. Might just be censored because it's war and not a specific event in the video.

If someone sees a dead body that I haven't seen in the past 3 watches please say something

Shelling reported in Russian village north of Ukrainian border.

https://t.me/zhest_belgorod/11775

Will the Russians have to seed Belgorod to Ukraine and thus put NATO 100KM from Moscow?* Sarcastic comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1526057126468149248?s=20&t=9w3psk2wstrI24rCutM10A