Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given how hard they ran away from any possible hint that the plagiarist plagiarized in Ghost Plagiarist, you might be waiting a bit.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i realise its not the point of this tweet but check out number 8 in the paperback fiction

https://twitter.com/SaimaMir/status/1526163289369190401?s=20&t=A1EUrFU6oSmvKQ4D7SfY2Q

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It checks out I know a person who works at a bookstore and they said that Chainsawman vol 1 has been their best seller for months.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

amigolupus posted:

The real question in Earthchild is when will Kareri's parents bring up the fact that some adult married and got their underage daughter pregnant.

You already know the answer to this

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty sure Helck 2: Volundio is shounen? Anyway the latest chapter cliffhanger is very mean.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

amigolupus posted:

The real question in Earthchild is when will Kareri's parents bring up the fact that some adult married and got their underage daughter pregnant.

they sold her into the hosed up aging procedure to begin with, they have no ground to stand on

i naively assumed they might have written them to be adoptive parents and dodge that bullet but nope, EARTHCHILD!!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I'm just not very clear on what tone it is going for so far. It's kind of like Kid Friendly Death Note but it's also pretty blunt about invasion of privacy and constantly pushing the MC to do extremely morally questionable things and rewarding him for it. It'd be interesting to see if it is going for "having this level of power is corrupting and dangerous" or "It's totally okay to invade people's privacy because I'm a superhero."

I feel like this premise could be interesting; the "power" has some pretty different angles than the Death Note one (though the immediate introduction of "basically L" makes it seem a bit unsubtle with the parallels).

Also, when I reread it a few years ago, I realized that literally all of the mind games in Death Note are predicated on Light loving up near the beginning of the series and narrowing the search area down to his general geographic area. IIRC they noticed people were only dying at times consistent with "a student in Japan" causing the killings, or something along those lines; without that one huge mistake, it would have basically been impossible for anything interesting to happen. At least with this premise, you have multiple actors all using a similar power that could potentially be used in interesting ways (though whether this actually happens depends on the strength of the writer).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Never because the author said they are mentally and physically adults. Like yes it is still creepy and loving weird but however the nonsense works it somehow makes them Actual Adults which is why it was an option for superbaby.

The series sucks but they did theor handwave for it so it is up to the reader to decide if they buy it or not.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like this premise could be interesting; the "power" has some pretty different angles than the Death Note one (though the immediate introduction of "basically L" makes it seem a bit unsubtle with the parallels).

Also, when I reread it a few years ago, I realized that literally all of the mind games in Death Note are predicated on Light loving up near the beginning of the series and narrowing the search area down to his general geographic area. IIRC they noticed people were only dying at times consistent with "a student in Japan" causing the killings, or something along those lines; without that one huge mistake, it would have basically been impossible for anything interesting to happen. At least with this premise, you have multiple actors all using a similar power that could potentially be used in interesting ways (though whether this actually happens depends on the strength of the writer).

Nagi does not seem as competent, and is just a cop rather then a freelance Detective.

L took a guess in Death Note and Light screwed it up. He figured a student in Japan by the timing of the deaths, then did the Lind L Taylor thing intending to air it region by region starting with the most populated one. Even he was surprised that he got it on the first guess, and that Light was petty enough to murder a guy cause they called him out.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 17, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

i liked the death note one-shot sequel that came out a while back. by contrast, that kid didn't make any mistakes because he kept his desire and ego in check.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Super smartphone feels a little like death note and eden of the east combined, at least those are the two series I think about when reading it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i liked the death note one-shot sequel that came out a while back. by contrast, that kid didn't make any mistakes because he kept his desire and ego in check.

Still got pretty hosed though.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Still got pretty hosed though.

well yeah, he messed with supernatural forces beyond his understanding. it was a good one-shot with a good ending.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I vaguely remember they got punished retroactively or something in a 'crime doesn't pay' moral ending way which everyone thought sucked because the dude successfully gamed the system and should have won.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he did everything right by human standards. but the death note was a power from outside of human standards.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Frankly, given the nihilist temperment of the author, the kid was dust ether way.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So many manga, so little time.

Super Smartphone: This is the weirdest retread of Death Note. Except instead of Death it's Privacy. This new cop they introduced is even literally L. Still, it seems pretty promising.

Witch Watch: This development seems interesting, but to be honest my trust in the mangaka is kinda gone. He's been spinning his wheels basically ever since they beat the first Warlock. Unless you consider expanding the group to be progress. My expectation she cancels the spell only to find out he really is that honed in his craft. Though maybe he will give Nico an affectionate pat on the head at the end. And we'll all go d'aww :kimchi:

Shugomaru: sigh, yeah I think I'm done with this.

Roboco: Actually kinda funny.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
lmao Earth Child is so loving bad. I love that it's established that Kareri's parents were so proud of her for sacrificing herself to save the earth... But then chose to erase their memories of her doing that?? But still leave the memories of her being dead?? This really is written like a webcomic, where the author just wanted to have some drama with visiting the parents so they just made up some contrivance for the protag to not be able to explain what's going on with zero planning or forethought.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Earthchild spends way too much time explaining things that have happened and not enough time actually doing stuff.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm a bit surprised by all the people complaining about Witch Watch not going forward further with the main plot, because I alwyas got the impression that the main plot itself would be a sometimes food and that this was going to be very firmly a slice of life/gag manga. And I'm fine with it, it really does feel like a cozy, relaxing weekly appointment.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, I don't really care about any kind of ongoing plot for Witch Watch. I enjoy the art and the characters so having it be kind of a chill relax zone where a bunch of goofy people get up to shenanigans is fine with me.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
That said, woof this week's chapter.

It's the most silly and the most kinda sad thing I've seen in Jump in a good while.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
This is literally Sket Dance stuff

The Author tosses in some short serious dramatic arcs about one of the main cast building on their story like 2-3 times a year.

They then use that new status quo/info for some comedy for a while before doing it again.

Like some of the backstories in Sket Dance are turbo hosed.

Seriously if you like Witch Watch go find time to binge Sket Dance it's fun.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean Astra was really good at it's reveals and is a breezy (and more readily accessable) read.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when sket dance went hard on the slapstick, it was one of the funniest things i've ever read. that was relatively infrequent, though. the rest of the manga was relatively light drama and comedy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nagi does not seem as competent, and is just a cop rather then a freelance Detective.

L took a guess in Death Note and Light screwed it up. He figured a student in Japan by the timing of the deaths, then did the Lind L Taylor thing intending to air it region by region starting with the most populated one. Even he was surprised that he got it on the first guess, and that Light was petty enough to murder a guy cause they called him out.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the dumb murder he did; that was probably significantly more stupid than anything else (the other dumb things were more "things you could reasonably overlook" - though still kind of hard to believe that someone as supposedly smart as Light would make those mistakes). Basically going completely undetected is entirely possible with Light's "powers" (and not even that hard), but the whole "war of minds" thing is only possible in the first place due to necessary big mistakes.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dexo posted:

This is literally Sket Dance stuff

The Author tosses in some short serious dramatic arcs about one of the main cast building on their story like 2-3 times a year.

They then use that new status quo/info for some comedy for a while before doing it again.

Like some of the backstories in Sket Dance are turbo hosed.

Seriously if you like Witch Watch go find time to binge Sket Dance it's fun.

The author was also an assistant to Sorachi who also did the same stuff in Gintama or at least I assume this page is about the author working under Sorachi

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Ranger Reject: Bailong exams are finally over :toot:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

I vaguely remember they got punished retroactively or something in a 'crime doesn't pay' moral ending way which everyone thought sucked because the dude successfully gamed the system and should have won.

Honestly I thought the ending sucked because Mamoru’s MO was at least partly to not just sell the Death Note, but to sell it publicly in such an outlandish way specifically because he realizes that Ryuk might just find another guy that might get a God complex, and a byproduct of selling it to someone as high up as the United States President is that people know what’s up if people mysteriously start dying, like Near mentions.

That said, it’s probably supposed to suck and feel bad so I can’t be too salty, but i feel like him only getting like .001 or whatever percent of the money should have been a legitimate loophole

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm a bit surprised by all the people complaining about Witch Watch not going forward further with the main plot, because I alwyas got the impression that the main plot itself would be a sometimes food and that this was going to be very firmly a slice of life/gag manga. And I'm fine with it, it really does feel like a cozy, relaxing weekly appointment.

I just really really enjoyed how the first arc was set up. A lot of dumb and fun magic hijinks, which then all came back in the fight with Wolf and the Warlock.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
We're finally caught up with Ragna Crimson

Looks like the war with the bloodline of wings is finally over. Dragon-girl could shoot during the frozen time because the Sun Cult clones gave everyone 3 minutes of immunity to Za Warudo before the battle started and I'm glad we don't have to re-do everything even if it means we lost a lot of good men along the way. Also glad to see Artemesia eat poo poo in the end just when she started to have real hope.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Artemesia was originally one of those clones? I'd completely forgotten about that.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1527175786524028929?t=3xuIYzeBbsdPvPGOWMn0cA&s=19

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Spoiler: all the color pages are closeups of Roboco's knees

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sindai posted:

Spoiler: all the color pages are closeups of Roboco's knees

Great, another series that'll have to be moved to digital only.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
New Super Smartphone chapter is good. It introduces conflicts more immediate than finding out what happened to the brother, sets up several potential directions the series can go in the future, and addresses some logical issues that many other series wouldn't have bothered to address, while still having interesting things happening in its own right (I liked the everyday stuff with the classmates). There's still ways the series can derail itself, but so far it seems promising.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Also, it's sort of funny that PPPPPP actually briefly mentioned technical aspects of piano playing for once in the most recent chapter. Normally the series seems to be about people who can magically use a piano to project illusions rather than actual piano-playing.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
It's the Saki of music mangas

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

Silver2195 posted:

Also, it's sort of funny that PPPPPP actually briefly mentioned technical aspects of piano playing for once in the most recent chapter. Normally the series seems to be about people who can magically use a piano to project illusions rather than actual piano-playing.

I mean it was still one word bubble acknowledging pedaling exists to like ten pages of constucting an entire fairy orchestra out of unicorn farts and tachyon particles on stage so I'd say it's still pretty on brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Silver2195 posted:

The problem with music in manga is that they have to somehow communicate how totally awesome it is without any sound.

I guess it's a similar principle to the food manga where they have to use crazy imagery to communicate how mindblowing the food was.