Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bogatyr posted:

Worked with a guy years ago that was complaining that his little generator was broken. Tiniest generator ever, like a weed wacker engine, 800 watts or something. When he tried to use it to power his 1100 watt heat gun it stalled the motor almost instantly. There was an audience when he was explaining his woes at his tailgate and demonstrating. There was a bit of silence before someone piped up and explained it to him.

Smallest generator ever only powers tiniest violin playing saddest tune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

https://www.amazon.com/ttgo

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Home Depot had a sale on the DeWalt DW735X planer a few weeks ago for almost 50% off, and I didn't buy it and now I keep checking the homepage every day to see if the sale is back on again.

I would've said something about it in this thread when it happened, but I was probed at the time.

Bogatyr
Jul 20, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

Smallest generator ever only powers tiniest violin playing saddest tune

It was around 99/2000 and outside of some lighting. I can't think of what use it would have been in a construction situation.The smallest power tool would have been a Milwaukee drill motor. It would have choked on that as well.

I could see a use now for charging tool batteries.

Sakara123
Dec 10, 2019

The Big Chungus

idk why but I just didn't like dewalts oscillating tool at all here. The hand feel just irked me. The weight distribution and hand feel was blegh, and it didn't perform anywhere near as quick as my Milwaukee. not a bad tool if you're only using it rarely but otherwise i really couldn't recommend it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I. M. Gei posted:

I bought the drill and I regret nothing

Trip Report: Drill is good, but now I want the M18 impact driver. I don't even need a new impact driver, but for some reason I want it anyway. :confused:

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Just take a loan against your house and get that driver!!

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if you really wanna buy tools w money that you shouldnt spend i'd recommend getting vintage corded classics, at least they'll hold their value and maybe even apprciate

get a US made hole hawg

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
After years of bodged-together solutions for when I'd make frames, I finally sprung for a point driver:

This thing is great! It's the kind of tool which will never pay for itself (unless you're selling frames) but it absolutely saves time and effort.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
You can also find vintage all metal ones for sale. I bought this for under $90 off of eBay and it works fine:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Ooh, that's really nice. Also the kind of tool whose purpose it would take me embarrassingly long to figure out.

Looked some up -- do the vintage ones drive the heavy-duty glazing points or the thin ones which are purely for holding in the art and the backing? The gun I got is for the latter, since I never really need anything stronger.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Trabant posted:

Ooh, that's really nice. Also the kind of tool whose purpose it would take me embarrassingly long to figure out.

Looked some up -- do the vintage ones drive the heavy-duty glazing points or the thin ones which are purely for holding in the art and the backing? The gun I got is for the latter, since I never really need anything stronger.

I bought this one for the big glazing points, but if i recall correctly it will drive the smaller diamonds as well.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

I bought the drill and I regret nothing

Same, but only after watching my wife go through two 1.5aH batteries in the oscillating tool while cleaning up a door. Those 5s will be nice.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Tool Thread: only after watching my wife go through two 1.5aH batteries in the oscillating tool

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

:borked:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

What's the best way to drill a ~2" diameter hole through cinderblock? I need to some PVC through a wall. I have an SDS hammer and could drill a few small holes, but I didn't know if there was like, a concrete hole saw for an SDS or something.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
For 2" you should be able to get a hole saw for an SDS, otherwise may need to rent an SDS max.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

What's the best way to drill a ~2" diameter hole through cinderblock? I need to some PVC through a wall. I have an SDS hammer and could drill a few small holes, but I didn't know if there was like, a concrete hole saw for an SDS or something.

If you know you won't hit the web in the middle of the block, drilling small holes and chipping out the circle works great

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am trying to put together a drill block jig and the aluminum spacers I got for the holes are apparently not durable enough to stand up to my drill bits. To make matters worse, the bit and spacer size I need is #6 (9/64") and the only bits Home Depot and Lowes seem to have in that size are countersink bits that go through both wood and metal; ideally the bit I need would drill through wood but not metal.

Can any of you point me to a #6 or 9/64" spacer that'll stand up to a drill bit without getting bored bigger by it? And/or a drill bit in the same size that's tough enough for wood but won't widen the inside of a metal spacer?

EDIT: The jig-making book I got recommends using bronze spacers/bushings for stuff like this, but I can't find any of those in the size I need. Would these 18-8 stainless steel spacers from BoltDepot.com work?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 18, 2022

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
McMaster to the rescue

https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-bushings/id~0-1406/

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

There is most likely a concrete hole saw for sds, in that size. If there isn't, you can just rent an SDS max + the appropriate size saw bit. My company has a six inch diameter in SDS max so smaller should definitely exist. Or you could rent a concrete coring setup and a 2 inch bit for it.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

hooooooooooly fuckin lord at those prices

well I guess drill-resistant bushings don't come cheap (apparently :smith:)

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I. M. Gei posted:

McMaster has literally everything, but if you need one of it, it's gonna be expensive as hell.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
This drill block has a 9/64" hole, which according to my Googling is equivalent to a #6

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0061FY004/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_EJPT7A5407HDZENSJVT0

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/hardware/jig-and-fixture-parts/40089-drill-guide-bushings is what you need.

Just use the 1/8th bit instead of whatever they say on your poo poo.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

I. M. Gei posted:

Good tools aren't cheap :shrug:

But yeah McMasters model is to stock everything imaginable and deliver lightning fast, but then charge 50% more than normal retail.

Sometimes it's worth it to avoid the hassle and risk of buying from Amazon.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

I am trying to put together a drill block jig and the aluminum spacers I got for the holes are apparently not durable enough to stand up to my drill bits. To make matters worse, the bit and spacer size I need is #6 (9/64") and the only bits Home Depot and Lowes seem to have in that size are countersink bits that go through both wood and metal; ideally the bit I need would drill through wood but not metal.

Can any of you point me to a #6 or 9/64" spacer that'll stand up to a drill bit without getting bored bigger by it? And/or a drill bit in the same size that's tough enough for wood but won't widen the inside of a metal spacer?

EDIT: The jig-making book I got recommends using bronze spacers/bushings for stuff like this, but I can't find any of those in the size I need. Would these 18-8 stainless steel spacers from BoltDepot.com work?

What are you using this for?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Mambold posted:

What are you using this for?

To build a steam box to straighten a board.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I'd recommend working on drilling technique before laying down cash, practice drilling straight without putting side pressure on the drill. I can usually get a lot of use out of a plain old wooden drilling blocks, so it's concerning that you're wearing out metal ones so quickly.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is a person who can't operate a tape measure. And is so bad at taking suggestions they went out shopping for measuring standards to do something - whether it was to prove the tape measure was wrong or to build a better tape measure I can't recall. I believe it was the same person who broke one or more drills trying to drill a simple fastener-sized hole (think like a regular tapcon) in a masonry wall.

Either way, there is no way to help this goon. Anything they are attempting to do is going to be with a fundamental lack of research or awareness of how someone would go about the thing they are trying to do.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Motronic posted:

This is a person who can't operate a tape measure. And is so bad at taking suggestions they went out shopping for measuring standards to do something - whether it was to prove the tape measure was wrong or to build a better tape measure I can't recall. I believe it was the same person who broke one or more drills trying to drill a simple fastener-sized hole (think like a regular tapcon) in a masonry wall.

Either way, there is no way to help this goon. Anything they are attempting to do is going to be with a fundamental lack of research or awareness of how someone would go about the thing they are trying to do.

:drat:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I thought he'd gotten better.

But also, yeah. Have been drilling hobby/homeowner things my entire life and have never felt the need for a bushing.

What's your use case, I.M.?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Remind me to never get on Motronic's bad side.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

stealie72 posted:

I thought he'd gotten better.

It's the same M.O. as always. Drift into a thread and ask a very specific question about a very specific thing that is then revealed to be part of a rube goldberg version of a thing they are trying to build in support of a project that they're already doing the wrong way. The latest schtick seems to revolve around this whole steaming boards thing, and I can't quite remember why this is "necessary", but it's all so amazing that I'm having a hard time believing it's not an elaborate troll.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
I’m generally curious about steaming this board to make it straight.

Was it discussed in the woodworking thread?

The easiest way to make a steam box that I’ve found is to buy a big pvc pipe and put caps on the ends.
DO NOT glue the caps on.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

jesus christ Motronic

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

I. M. Gei posted:

jesus christ Motronic

You brought this on yourself.

You described trying to drill into brick as "like a girl loving a floor dildo".

You admitted going into debt to buy a loving drill that we told you you didn't need because a hex shank spade bit chucked in your existing drill wobbled.

You've spent like $3000 on tools in this thread, but needed to use vise grips to tighten the knobs on a feather board.

You also asked about the cheapest benchtop jointer in existence.

You're either the forum's most incompetent craftsman with zero impulse control or an elaborate troll.

Jesus Christ yourself.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

sharkytm posted:

You described trying to drill into brick as "like a girl loving a floor dildo".

lmao

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

jesus christ: Motronic

We'll ask again.. what are making, why can't you use a drill block, why can't you drill straight?
As mentioend you kind of float into the thread with a vague idea of waht you're wanting and get vague advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Motronic posted:

Oh boy, I didn't recognize this goon's name without the avatar. I still get a good laugh about that apple tree trellis that needed to be consistent to one thousandth of an inch.