Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
honestly it’s still well written, but it goes into an incredibly boring bottle universe and completely ignores the actual strengths of the series, which as you said are the well-realized depiction of a xianxia society that makes sense and has lots of different characters in it with their own perspectives and motivations

I think one of my favorite moments in Part 1 is when you start seeing Ha Yun viewpoint chapters and find out he resents and is jealous of the more independent Hunters because he can’t get promoted for political reasons, just as they all resent him for picking and choosing the easiest missions using his influence. Everybody has their own perspective!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Larry Parrish posted:

Anyway to change the subject back to Memories of the Fall, I skipped over that one a few times because frankly it sounded too generic to bother with. And it kind of is, but I really like it. There's clearly a background plot, but I just finished Chapter 11 (they're REALLY long, lol, I didn't count but it felt like a couple hundred pages), and so far I really enjoy this. It's kind of melancholic and grounded in a way xianxia novels rarely are.

Our cast so far is mostly the fantasy china equivalent of gentry, bourgeoisie, or minor nobles (with a few exceptions), but since this is a xianxia instead of making them feel rich and privileged (though they are) they mostly come off like, I dunno, mercenary oil prospectors or something. Like probably a solid third of the writing so far has been devoted to stalking through death jungles and tactical feng shui. Like, plenty of xianxia novels give that stuff a brief mention but rarely do any of them really use Chinese alchemy in any way lol. It's cool. Mostly when traditional elements like that exist it basically feels like normal western fantasy but with a theme from the MTX store slapped on top. Anyway I really like this, I kind of hope it stays in this almost slice of life space. I guess Forge does the same thing but that story is a lot more focused. This one feels like it's really about the region or at least their home city as a whole.

Out of curiosity are you reading from the beginning or starting with the rewrite? I've been kind of struggling with the rewrite but I just read chapter 14, which is probably like 200,000 words in, and at the end is a note that "with this the rewrite has reached the end of chapter 4" and I was like, is this why everything feels so bloated?

Though it is well written, I'll give it that, it just feels like the story is taking way too many words to tell the story it wants to.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bremen posted:

Out of curiosity are you reading from the beginning or starting with the rewrite? I've been kind of struggling with the rewrite but I just read chapter 14, which is probably like 200,000 words in, and at the end is a note that "with this the rewrite has reached the end of chapter 4" and I was like, is this why everything feels so bloated?

Though it is well written, I'll give it that, it just feels like the story is taking way too many words to tell the story it wants to.

Yeah I'm reading the rewrite. It's loving colossal, yeah. But as a chad slice of life enjoyer it doesn't bug me.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So I finished binging my way through Worth the Candle and man... It wasn't the perfect story, it had really bad pacing issues, occasionally contrived arcs, and perhaps too much of a tendency to descend into long kinda boring circular arguments but overall... I actually think it was really good, and more than that, parts of it struck real emotional chords with me, parts written in such a raw real way that made me viscerally invested in the characters, and the ultimate catharsis of the ending was, in my opinion, perfect.

I can understand it's not a story for everyone, it goes way too deep into some extremely dark subjects, but I never felt it wasn't trying to treat them with the gravitas necessary. It's not going to be my favorite novel, but I think it had more of an impact on me as a person than novels I draw more enjoyment from. I dunno, I just felt a need to recommend it despite all its flaws, just on the chance it works for someone the way it worked for me.

I almost can't believe it's the same author as TUTBAD.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
It's an incredible work. As you say, it certainly has some flaws, but it's also extremely ambitious in its scope and thematic content. An author self-insert that tries to realistically deal with his flaws and traumatic history is not a common thing. And of course the world building is insane in its sheer variety.

I love how Wales treats silly stuff seriously. "How are we going to safely pull out an entire tree from our dimensional pocket space in this busy urban street" is totally my jam. Similarly, the way he took common dwarven fantasy tropes -- dwarves love gold! dwarves are stoic! dwarves all live underground! -- and made them feel real in a way that ended up downright sad was amazing to me.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Ok I wanted something long, but not TWI long, so I read more Ar'Kendrithyst. Once I started just completly ignoring any numbers it got better. Kinda enjoying it now.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"If you ignore the main selling point of the genre it's p. good" is in no way an accurate or fair reading of that post or the genre, but lol anyway.

Maybe I should finally try that one. Or finish catching up on something else I'm fifty chapters into.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It honestly doesn't go mad on the numbers, pretty much the only thing it seems to have a bee up it's arse about is money amounts, and I can glaze my eyes over those. One of the big plot points is that the main dude hates maths.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ar'kendrythist is not a LitRPG although it does have a status sheet. But the narrative is going to start rapidly ignoring it anyway. The numbers just don't matter too much if you know what you're doing with magic. Anyway almost all of that is in the first book.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Good news: Memories of the Fall Book 3 is much better than Book 2.

There’s a ton to say about this serial; I’ll try to write a review after I’ve finished Book 3.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well. I got caught up on the Memories of the Fall remake, but the chapters don't seem to line up. Does anyone know where to jump to in the old ones...?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lol I think this remake either seriously reorders a lot of stuff or it's straight up more stuff than the original first book cuz flipping around the first couple chapters is just leaving me so confused. I guess I should have just read from the beginning of the original

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

it's definitely more stuff and I think there are a bunch of rewrite chapters that don't correspond to anything in the original book but I started at ch12 and it was ok. especially since it's memories of the fall so it loves referring to information that you don't have like you already know it anyway

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

It definitely feels like ratfic, especially the mentality of the protagonist, but I'm enjoying A Practical Guide to Sorcery (I'm on ch 16 so far). About a young woman learning, well, sorcery. She already has some talent and skill in it when the story starts, but her training has obviously been haphazard.

edit: (ch 25)

quote:

Professor Lacer apparently got angry at some mishandling of magic by one of the second term students and had him expelled from the University in a scene that Sebastien hadn’t personally witnessed, but which grew more dramatic with every retelling she heard. She even heard a version that claimed Lacer turned the student into a sheep out of anger and sent the bleating young man back to his family with a note that said, “Your son was raised like an animal, so I have unified his outer appearance to match the inner.”
:lol:

Cicero fucked around with this message at 09:21 on May 17, 2022

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Larry Parrish posted:

Well. I got caught up on the Memories of the Fall remake, but the chapters don't seem to line up. Does anyone know where to jump to in the old ones...?

New Ch 24 is supposed to be the rewrite of the second half of old Ch 12, I believe.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I'm more or less following it from there. But there's a lot of weirdness lol. I don't think any of it changes the overall plot but it sure changes all the small details.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cicero posted:

It definitely feels like ratfic, especially the mentality of the protagonist, but I'm enjoying A Practical Guide to Sorcery (I'm on ch 16 so far). About a young woman learning, well, sorcery. She already has some talent and skill in it when the story starts, but her training has obviously been haphazard.

edit: (ch 25)

:lol:

A Practical Guide to Sorcery felt to me like it's a fan rewrite of Name of the Wind.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

LLSix posted:

A Practical Guide to Sorcery felt to me like it's a fan rewrite of Name of the Wind.

I think this is doing it a disservice. There are definitely similarities, but overall the story is much different.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

LLSix posted:

Brutal!

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It doesn't have nearly enough gratuitous sex for that comparison to be fair.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Cinara posted:

It doesn't have nearly enough gratuitous sex for that comparison to be fair.

Fair. As far as I know, A Practical Guide to Sorcery has no sex in it.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
If I remember right Name of the Wind had no sex in it either, the sequel is another story.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Yeah, in the sequel sex happens on like 20 pages of a 1000+ page book. Pure debauchery.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Bremen posted:

I think this is doing it a disservice. There are definitely similarities, but overall the story is much different.
Same. There are some obvious surface parallels with the magic academy and debt, oh and the magic system to an extent, but otherwise it's quite different.

One of KKC's biggest problems is that it had some obvious big bads right the beginning, except that that plotline never seemed to actually go anywhere, even two books into a trilogy. PGtS has two long-term plots, aside from the progression/school aspect, and both seem to be making reasonable, steady progress, at least where I'm at (about halfway caught up now).

And then there's all the eye-rolling stuff like the sex ninjas and sex goddess, while PGtS plays on its protagonist being aggressively socially unaware and sexless.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Hah, Re: Trailer Trash changed its title to Re: Small Town Girl. I will say the original was right up there with "Cougar Town" in my list of top 5 terrible titles.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Argue posted:

Hah, Re: Trailer Trash changed its title to Re: Small Town Girl. I will say the original was right up there with "Cougar Town" in my list of top 5 terrible titles.

There is a new chapter, and I'm enjoying it. But of course Tabitha just has to mention the super important story Worm, by Wildbow. And that takes me out of the future narrative because it is such a bad story.

Edit: Also they mention the store 'Electronics Boutique' and I have fond memories about that place... man the 90's were awesome.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 18, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

quote:

As if disturbed by plucking one vivid memory out of the disorganized pile of junk that had been pushed back into this recess of her mind, dozens of other embarrassing memories suddenly tumbled out.

Tabitha for the life of her couldn’t remember the names of acquaintances she’d gone to school with for years in her early life, but she could vividly recall the name Enoby Dark’ness Dementia Raven Way, the mary sue so infamous that dramatic My Immortal readings had been performed at conventions and upon Youtube for more than a decade following its storied release. The fanfiction had been a scathing satire of the precise store Elena had just led them into; the angst and cringy edge of Hot Topic Goth. The repressed but not forgotten phase that it seemed every girl felt call to them at some point in their teens, where emotions were so dark and profound that they traveled full circle to become superficial and even campy, like Addams Family and Edward Scissorhands and other dark comedy films that introduced so many to the genre.

As such, how could Tabitha feel intimidated by this older goth teen? What did this Ziggy know about gothic—Ziggy’s subculture knowledge was still prototypical, trapped in the times of 1998. She wouldn’t be able to recognize a gothic icon like Helena Bonham Carter from a police lineup of ne’er-do-wells, wouldn’t know who Amy Lee was, she wouldn’t even be able to recite a single verse from any of the Repo: the Genetic Opera songs. She was unaware of the big Warhammer 40K Sisters of Battle movie that brought gothic back into the limelight in the 2030s, she hadn’t read or even watched Wildbow’s Worm. Tabitha felt herself so full of dark secrets and terrible knowledge that it was hard not to giggle at the absurdity of it all.
They're literally in a Hot Topic, let the author have their fun.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
goth comes back because of the sisters of battle movie

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Peachfart posted:

There is a new chapter, and I'm enjoying it. But of course Tabitha just has to mention the super important story Worm, by Wildbow. And that takes me out of the future narrative because it is such a bad story.

Edit: Also they mention the store 'Electronics Boutique' and I have fond memories about that place... man the 90's were awesome.

worm becoming a hugely popular hit is absolutely in line with the typical absolute trash that populates the nyt bestseller's list

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

PGtS (54): something that's bothering me now is, why doesn't Siobhan simply anonymously give up the book? She cares about its secrets to some extent, sure, but she cares about not being found and imprisoned a lot more. It's obvious that the powers that be care about getting the book, not really her in particular. Yeah, ideally they'd like to get her too, the coppers anyway, but they don't care to the tune of enormously expensive magic rituals repeated over and over. If the book suddenly showed up in their hands, they'd take their win and give up the chase.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

90s Cringe Rock posted:

goth comes back because of the sisters of battle movie

comes back? friend it never died,

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Cicero posted:

PGtS (54): something that's bothering me now is, why doesn't Siobhan simply anonymously give up the book? She cares about its secrets to some extent, sure, but she cares about not being found and imprisoned a lot more. It's obvious that the powers that be care about getting the book, not really her in particular. Yeah, ideally they'd like to get her too, the coppers anyway, but they don't care to the tune of enormously expensive magic rituals repeated over and over. If the book suddenly showed up in their hands, they'd take their win and give up the chase.

I'm pretty sure she doesn't actually realize all of what's going on. She has no idea what the book is and thus has little idea that's why they're going to such an effort to catch her; they got her blood at a completely separate incident where she was allied to a crime group and used blood magic in front of witnesses, so she probably thinks that's the main reason they're after her, having not realized that the whole system is so rotten no one cares about the laws and it's just powerful groups manipulating the system to get what they want.

And even if she did think they were after the book she'd probably expect what they really wanted is the amulet and she can't really give that back without a pardon. Which she probably totally could negotiate for but she doesn't realize that. PGtS is really as much about Siobhan misunderstanding what's going on as it is about everyone else misunderstanding what's going on with Siobhan.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 18, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

What's actually happening on the cultivation front in Forge of Destiny in the Threads? I'm caught up on Royal Road (Ling Qi is watching the sect tournament). Lots of stuff has happened in the story, of course, but I kind of lost track of the power progression. She's at, uh, level 3 cultivation and level 3 body physique, or whatever they're called, right? "Green" and "bronze", I think? But I think this was true even at the end of Forge. How much progress has she made in both categories? Is there even a fourth level of body strength?

To be honest, I don't really care that much about the answer, but it's weird reading a story with these kinds of power levels and not really knowing how the protagonist matches up with other major characters.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

nrook posted:

What's actually happening on the cultivation front in Forge of Destiny in the Threads? I'm caught up on Royal Road (Ling Qi is watching the sect tournament). Lots of stuff has happened in the story, of course, but I kind of lost track of the power progression. She's at, uh, level 3 cultivation and level 3 body physique, or whatever they're called, right? "Green" and "bronze", I think? But I think this was true even at the end of Forge. How much progress has she made in both categories? Is there even a fourth level of body strength?

To be honest, I don't really care that much about the answer, but it's weird reading a story with these kinds of power levels and not really knowing how the protagonist matches up with other major characters.

Ling Qi is perpetually 2-3 small ranks behind the big names and usually about that far or a bit more ahead of the crafter and fox-girl.

So at the start of threads Ling qi is Green 1 (of 10?) while snake girl and Cai blinding-light saber girl are at green 2/3 and that spread stays constant even as Ling qi advances to green 3 or 4. Green to the next tier is supposed to take several years even for good talents, most people don't progress past Green.

Katreus
May 31, 2011

You and I both know this is silly, but this is the biggest women's sporting event in the world. Let's try to make the most of it, shall we?

nrook posted:

She is a 4th stage (threshold) of both green soul and bronze physique realms as of the sect tournament. (Actually, she hit full 4th stage in month 12 of her Inner Sect year). She was at the 1st stage of green and bronze at the end of Forge. So she has made 3 stage advances in both spiritual and physical cultivation over Threads so far.

There are 8 stages for third realm (separate tracks for both spirit and body). The stage names are: Early / Appraisal / Foundation / Threshold / Framing / Formation / Fortification / Completion.

As to other characters, CRX was at the 4th stage in month 11 and should be the same for BM. It is unclear whether CRX and BM advanced to 5th stage in the 2 months between the end of the ice lady expedition and the sect tournament. I would verge on probably since BM has previously thought in her sidestory that she was about to hit 5th stage soon.

Katreus fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 19, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

OK, thanks, good to know. It's funny that Yrsillar doesn't mention this at all in the RR/published versions. I can see why they don't; it's really not that interesting, and of course on the quest presumably when someone cares they just go look at the big stat block. But I do think it should come up a little more often than it does.

Speaking of xianxia, I'm almost caught up with Memories of the Fall, and there's a big caveat on the story, one that is not at all obvious from the description. One of the major themes of the story--- maybe the major theme--- is people being oppressed and wronged by an unfair world and an unfair fate, and "justice" existing only so far as the powerful can use it to get what they want. And one of the main ways that manifests is rape culture: the MCs are predominantly (though not exclusively) female, and their actions are in many situations constrained by the fear of being sexually assaulted or humiliated by powerful men. What I'm getting at here is that rape and other forms of sexual abuse is basically everywhere in the story, and probably around half the time a female MC is physically threatened it's with an explicit or implicit threat of rape attached.

These are pretty heavy themes for a xianxia progression fantasy story, and they're way more baked into it than for something like A Journey of Black and Red (where the MC is a rape survivor but spends most of her time being a badass vampire or trying not to die, not avoiding the threat of sexual assault). And unfortunately a lot of the time Rith does not exactly treat it with the utmost care; my eyes rolled back into my head, then did a 360 and rolled vertically back the other way when they pulled a "oh, in this society, women all walk around with their tits out, and everyone loves casual sex". The theme does have a resonance for xianxia, which usually has a subtheme of "the powerful do what they want, which is why the MC wants to not be weak", and the heavens themselves screwing you over is certainly a good analogy for the power of societal forces like patriarchy or rape culture, so I don't mean to say that it's always treated poorly. But it's something to be aware of going in.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Blue Morality Scripture as far as the little we've seen of it is deeply patriarchal to just before the point of women being outright property pretty much. Which would be bad enough since it's more-or-less the global religion, but it's implied that when the current dynasty took power they somehow wrote it into the fabric of the world, which is why a few of the very powerful side characters summon antimatter flower blossoms when they get too pissed at the Emperor.

Yeah it's not handled particularly carefully but it certainly sounds like something your average rear end in a top hat xianxia elder would do. Why enforce your stupid standards directly when you can just twist reality itself to gently caress the weak over?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Yeah, sometimes it does really hit. This is the only xianxia story I've ever read where I gave a gently caress about the tribulations, for example, because "the heavens" are conflated with all the societal bullshit the main characters have to deal with.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Hum, I'm still working my way through the rewrite chapters and while I totally agree that the themes are "people with power screw over others and there's very little they can do about it" there hasn't been any explicit threat of sexual assault at the point I'm at. The closest I can think of is it being mentioned one of the protagonists' clan is trying to profit off forcing her into a marriage (which, to be fair, is basically just prettying it up a bit) and her father and mother trying to block it.

Or at least I think so - it's entirely possible more has been going on that I just missed because I look at the world through a different lens than the female MCs. But maybe that means the author has been easing off that in the rewrite.

That said, the world is definitely set up as sexist in a way that gives things a vaguely creepy undertone. All of the female MCs come off as basically completely uninterested in either men or women (and to be fair, the male viewpoint characters mainly seem to as well), but non-viewpoint male characters are constantly making creepy comments about how sexy the female MCs are when they aren't around. Maybe that's intended to give a view on how that sort of objectification is a problem women in the real world, or maybe the author just wrote it in without ever realizing how it came off because hey, sexy female MCs, I dunno. At the point where I'm at in the story I'm not really comfortable making a judgement either way, but that might change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its because those usually unnamed creepy old men and young masters are the type of people who remade the heavens op